Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,226 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:03 PM

The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) (1969 Views)

Underage Voters In Bayelsa Election (pics) / Underage Voter Causes A Fight Among Party Agents In Keffi (photo) / Disturbing Pictures Of Underage Boys Trained By Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by justiceman: 8:57am On Mar 07, 2015
There are rumours circulating that there are millions of underage voters predominantly from the northern part of Nigeria, with states like Kano, Katsina, Bauchi, Bauchi, Niger, Kaduna, Zamfara, Sokoto, Kebbi, Nasarawa, Borno and Yobe being mentioned. Many of these states also have a record of high PVC collection rates, e.g Bauchi having over 94% PVC collection.

This issue of underage voting was recorded in 2011 elections as observed by international monitors, but it was never addressed as a presidential candidate was declared president. Now the issue has come up again and many have started pointing accusing fingers at INEC and APC. It is noteworthy that these alleged underage voters came to INEC office and exchanged their TVCs for the PVCs and it was handed probably to them by the INEC staff representing these states.

My Question is, WHo is to be blamed for this issue of underage voting in Nigeria?

1. Is it JEGA, the INEC chairman, who oversees the head office of the INEC body and entertains and deals with cases of fraud reported from different quarters? I nominated him because cases of underage voting were reported in 2011 elections but i do not see them being addressed over the 4 year preparation time INEC had between 2011 and 2015.

2. Is it President Goodluck Jonathan, the Commander in Chief of Nigeria state, who has the overall authority to implement policies that could be used to prevent cases of underage voting in the country? I nominated him because he oversees the affairs of all the agencies of government like National Population commission, National Bureau of statistics, Nigerian Immigration service etc. He has the right to hire and fire when there are issues of non-performance, all national matters end at his desk.

3. Is it the heads of the government agencies mentioned above? Are they properly funded and equipped to do their jobs? Are they properly inspected and monitored to ensure they do their jobs? Are they doing their jobs?

4. Is it the INEC staff that registered these alleged underage voters and also handed them their PVCs, were they properly trained and warned against such practices? were they coerced into doing these alleged frauds by members of the local communities? Did they report casesof suspected underage voters before or after registering these voters, were they properly trained and equipped to handle cases of underage voting? (Such as requesting that suspected underage voters be required to produce birth certificates or age declaration in order to be registered, since you cannot deny a prospective voter access based on suspicion without proof)?

[size=16pt]This question is very important and it needs an answer and a public discussion. What is your opinion?[/size]

Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by kilokeys(m): 8:58am On Mar 07, 2015
bros i no sabi o

while serving in 2011 as d presiding officer to a polling centre in Taraba.

i questioned an underage and refused to allow him vote

the community nearly attacked me..

kai... na u born am for us?.. if im talk say na 18.. then he is 18..

na so we dey small por our pamily

kofa.. wetin consign u.. u no like ya sef kwo?

2 Likes

Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by Nobody: 9:00am On Mar 07, 2015
Even if AIT shows d video of tinubu and buhari stealing money, our foolish and brainwashed supporters will still vote for us! Imagine wad apc said abt dem supporters!
Dis shows how foolish apc thugs re, I pity dem and dem generations!

Blame islam, blame north, blame jega!
Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 07, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
Even if AIT shows d video of tinubu and buhari stealing money, our foolish and brainwashed supporters will still vote for us! Imagine wad apc said abt dem supporters!
Dis shows how foolish apc thugs re, I pity dem and dem generations!
Blame islam, blame north, blame jega!
And don't also forget that your foolis.h president said stealing is not corruption so therefore, i blame it on your mumu presido......

keep calm and vote Buhari
#I_Have_Decided
GMB 2015
Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by justiceman: 9:04am On Mar 07, 2015
kilokeys:
bros i no sabi o

while serving in 2011 as d presiding officer to a polling centre in Taraba.

i questioned an underage and refuse to allow him vote

the community nearly murder me..

kai... na u born am for us?.. if im talk say na 18.. then he is 18..

we r small in our family

kofa.. wetin consign u.. u no like ya sef kwo?

Good point, from no 4 above, if the Federal Govt or INEC empowers staff and educates public that everyone should produce a birth certificate or age declaration at the point of registration, then the weight of blame would shift from INEC and what we'll be talking about now is judicial reform if the age declaration was granted by the court
Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by lomaxx: 9:11am On Mar 07, 2015
Sincerely, there was a country.
Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by Nobody: 9:17am On Mar 07, 2015
Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by justiceman: 9:23am On Mar 07, 2015
MrPresident:
Thank God for President Goodluck Jonathan, 50 Alamjiri schools in the north,
these children can now attend school and have a brighter future.

Vote wisely,

GEJ till......2019

at least answer the question of discussion
Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by nnachukz(m): 9:26am On Mar 07, 2015
Northern Nigeria always known for every bad things in Nigeria mostly violence and cheating. Blame jega
Re: The Issue Of Underage Voting. Who Should We Blame? (photos) by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 07, 2015
justiceman:

at least answer the question of discussion

blame buhari

(1) (Reply)

APC Governors Set To Clash With Buhari, As He Regects Ministerial Lists. / Dr Okonjo-iweala Listed 33rd Among 50 Greatest World Leaders. / Nigeria Broke, Can’t Pay Ministers – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.