Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,813 members, 7,956,076 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:25 AM

My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner (1905 Views)

That Moment When Yoy Tired Of Being A Gunner / Wellbeck Want's To Become A Full Time Gunner, Not A Part Time / Gunner's Trophyless Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by debosky(m): 1:17am On Aug 31, 2006
I have some issues with Monsieur Arsene Wenger, like any true fan will, and i intend to discuss a few of them on this thread, especially during the 2 week international break, to serve as an outlet due to the absence of any club games. Hopefully we will return to winning ways as from september 9th

First of all

1) Arsene infuriates me a lot, especially when he isnt hard on the team after a bad performance, i think by doing that we have lost that anger/hunger or the agressive edge we need to win some of these tough games. i guess that was one of the consequences of losing vieira.

2) his insistence on 'upcoming' or 'developing' players all the time. dont get me wrong, i love fabregas, eboue, flamini, senderos and all the young players he has brought in, but really, we need more than just henry, gilberto and lehmann as the highest class of talent+experience at the club. i know rosicky and hleb had some coming in, but its still going to take a while for everything to gel, plus getting an experienced player in defence, midfield and attack wdnt hurt.

3) why do we seem unable to change out tactical formations? except from the champions league games where we played 4-5-1 to devastating effect and the away game against villareal, we seem unable to adjust our game to suit the opponent, especially in the premiership
in fact domestically the last time i think we achieved that was against man utd in the FA cup final 2004!

others will come to mind later, these are the ones for now.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by Akolawole(m): 1:20am On Aug 31, 2006
Ha Ha Debo! Debo!! Debo!!!

How many times did i call you?

Get ready.

Good observation my brother.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by kitaun(m): 6:36pm On Aug 31, 2006
@Akola

Now that Debosky has done what you have dubbed as the "unthinkable" may i now dissapoint you by telling you that none of us will castigate him for his post moreover we will even spice it up the more cos i believe that criticism will only make things better when positive tongue cool

@Topic

So where went us in this transfer market when Chelsea and Liverpool were busy buying players

Now WHU has executed the biggest transfer coup on the EPL by capturing Mascherano and Tevez shocked shocked
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by debosky(m): 6:50pm On Aug 31, 2006
It is truly shocking, though we have gilberto, and a player of mascherano's calibre would probably not be content with playing second fiddle (especially to a brazilian), our defensive midfield position needed strengthening and we didnt do it.

A prolific forward like tevez wdve done us no harm either, if a club like westham can get those 2 at a price of 15million (rumored), we could definitely have afforded that by sellign off cole.

I hope the cole for gallas thing is resolved soon, arsenal should stop being greedy for a few extra quid, just collect gallas and the extra cash chelsea is offering

gallas can help solve 2 of our current issues -strengthening the backline and providing more of a threat aerially (in addition to toure) for set pieces.

arsenal is too 1-dimensioned - once the passing game fails, the team just runs out of ideas, no one tries to getset pieces, cuzz we aren't good at converting.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by kitaun(m): 7:01pm On Aug 31, 2006
Now we have to pray that we don't have injury worries this season, considering that some of our best legs will be getting back to action like Lauren, Senderos, Clichy et al cool cos i dont think i fancy Hoyte in that left back position and Eboue has been playing too ambitious of recent

Most important thing is we get to support our team even when the odds are against us or even in times of turmoil, forsaking one's team as some fake gooners are wont to do is never proper, we all should endeavor to get behind the team always and before long the trophies will be bouncing again in our cabinet cool grin
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by debosky(m): 7:09pm On Aug 31, 2006
your last comment brings me to another issue i have with Wenger

Why is the squad so short of experience/numbers in certain positions?

in central defence, only toure (25) is the experienced player (out of ONLY 3 centerbacks)

defensive midfield - only gilberto is experienced, flamini hasn't played there for ages, he spent last season at left back.

attack- only henry!? van persie, adebayor, aliadiere - all good but not sufficient in these days of 4 competitions.

I will support Arsenal whatever the result, but i will still speak my mind when i see things not going properly. after tonight we'll see if he has solved any of the major problem areas.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by kitaun(m): 7:26pm On Aug 31, 2006
Actually our back 4 used to be the fortress of the team but with injuries to Lauren and Ashley Cole, we were kind of exposed though we had Eboue who quickly filled in and has performed creditably well, also Clichy who had been there too but unfortunately injury was being unfair to him
Also remember that we had Campbell though it now later seemed we did not prepare for Campbell leaving at least not before that West Ham game since he is an over-30,but before i forget he had to seek for grenner pastures with Portsmouth moreso we have Cygan *what the heck is he still doing on our bench shocked shocked thought St.Etienne were interested*
Also we have seen the emergence of Djorou who i think even had a better game than Toure against Man City, he might be young but given that Senderos is recuperating he is not doing badly and he will learn the ropes, though i will for the life of me have prepared a defender in the mould of Gallas if Cole has to go because experience too counts cool
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by mochafella(m): 8:52pm On Aug 31, 2006
I think Arsene's problem is the one-dimensional style of play. After that 49-game run teams now know that 2 barriers of 4 players across the last 3rd of the field will frustrate Arsenal's passing game. And of course with the relative youth of the team, grinding out a 1-0 result like Chelsea used to do 2 seasons ago is difficult. I guess the professor just likes beautiful football.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by debosky(m): 9:00pm On Aug 31, 2006
beauty with grit is what u need to win games in the premiership - maybe in spain u can win with beautiful alone.

@ Kitaun we have lost (and probably will still lose with cole) a lot of experience at the back. with due respect, i think djourou still has a long way to go, let him play all the carling cup and FA cup games, ditto for a few other guys like aliadiere and hoyte. . ( I think we can realistically only challenge for 2 cups- prem and CL). get some experienced players and let them understudy a while longer. they are not ready for the first team quite yet - i fear for the game against MU in september - that might just be the beginning of the end this season if we still ahve these jew boys in defence.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by Akolawole(m): 9:25pm On Aug 31, 2006
REJOICE WITH ME AS DEBOSKY AND LORDIMPAQ CHANGE THE FACE OF NAIRALAND-GUNNERS.

So so Happy for Today.

Together we will enjoy this forum.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by loyika(m): 9:43am On Sep 01, 2006
Let me start by saying that i have no problem with self evaluation, sometimes airing your mind helps relieve stress and makes the head clearer. Having said that i do feel we are all going a bit overboard.

Now if you have been supporting Arsenal for a long time, believe me you will see that we are in the best phase in the History of the club, New Stadia and all.

There was an article i read where it was suggested that Le Prof was building a third generation team, after his first two great teams. The Problem for us Gonners is the fact that we have been spoilt by our own football, that we are now less patient with the team and the Boss. But let us look at the bigger picture here, Man U since Fergie took over 20 years ago have been indoctrinated to play the "siege Mentality way" thats why Fergie will always go for particular kinds of players a la Keano, Smithy, Rooney, Saha, Henize and so on. And as long as Fergie is in charge, MU will always play that way. and any Man U supporter knows this.

The same way Jose has changed the way Chelsea play, from the Beautiful football of Gullit/vialli era to pragmatic footie of the Fabio Capello school of Hard Knocks.

With this in mind, every Gonner should not hold their breath that Arsenal will play any different way, even with 4 5 1 in CL we still tried to out pass teams, thats the way the team plays and will always play as long as AW is in charge. Does that win us tropies, at present the chances are slim, but if you believe that this Arsenal team will not win any major silverware in the next three or so years, then you do not have trust in your team. (Guys thats what is called a covenant, You probable joined Arsenal because of the type of Footie we play, so ride out the storm, cause there is always a calm, thats what the team deserves and thats what Le Prof deserves, with all he has done for the club)

All the young players are growing, and AW is tinkering with a few players here and there to get the perfect formular for success (look!! AW wanted Baptista last year, didn't get him then, but look at what patience can do, isn't Bap coming over cheesy). So debs just have faith in your team, no Gonner loves to lose and sometimes this whole transition thingy is quite gut wrenching embarassed, but it only makes the hope of future success far sweeter cheesy, ( i mean imagine, our worst season in the Prem since Wenger became the gaffer, and we get to the finals of the CL, isn't that so ironic and Bloody humourous!? cheesy)

So COMEON YOU NAIRALAND GONNERS KEEP YOUR HEADS UP AND SUPPORT THE TRUE RED ARMY, cause losings some battles are painful, but in the long run winning the war will be sweet.

cool GONNER 89
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by rikkyjen(m): 4:24pm On Sep 01, 2006
Nice posts
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by debosky(m): 7:24pm On Sep 01, 2006
wise words loyika, wise words. I would never advocate a change of style for arsenal - i love the way we play,
i know we are in transition, and probably still will be this season, i just want to see some evidence of progression, more consistency and a strong desire to remain dynamic, not simply pegged down to "stop them from passing and kick em a lot then you can beat arsenal". we need some good momentum to carry us forward, to show that we are beginning to do what we did in 03/04 and 98/99. the bar has been raised enormously by chelsea, liverpool and tottenham, we must rise to the occasion or we will be left behind.

bravo Mr Wenger, getting your man albeit 1 year later, plus getting rid of the traitor and replacing him with a truly world class defender (the first odefender to come to arsenal as world class in a long long time) is no easy feat.

I wait patiently to see how we play the next few critical games - It seems le prof may have something planned already. I hope it works.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by otolorin(m): 12:36am On Sep 02, 2006
hmmm - me sef get ma own reserves against Le Prof o

undecided lipsrsealed undecided lipsrsealed undecided

but i'll giv him time to see if he rectifies the flaws
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by Akolawole(m): 1:12am On Sep 02, 2006
@otolorin

where have you been Sir?
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by otolorin(m): 1:04am On Sep 03, 2006
akola -
i've been around, - na work dey tie my hand o
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by babazak(m): 3:11am On Sep 03, 2006
i am of the opinion that wenger is not happy even with himself with the present position of the gunner,i strongly belief that the team would pick up just after the break.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by amodu(m): 4:43am On Sep 03, 2006
lets wait and see
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by LoverBwoy(m): 6:38pm On Sep 03, 2006
yea the whole tweedy cole sage ran for 2 whole season, even a monk would be unhappy with that wink

But hey ealry season we've played only 2 games
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by sil(m): 12:37pm On Sep 04, 2006
Now that the shopping doors are closed i hope, Wenger will settle down and take good care and train the young talents well.
With the likes of Batista,Rosky, Walcott and may be Gallas will take care of the defence becos of his Experience.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by Grizzly(m): 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2006
YEAh right, and to think they are going to meet giant killers Boro next, in such an unprepared state, talk about droppin more points embarassed grin
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by kitaun(m): 9:03pm On Sep 04, 2006
Akola has a way of making me laugh with some of his comments grin grin grin So funny because he should know better than Sycophancy as per saying Debosky and Lordimpaq changing the face of Gunners, what do you take us for shocked cool
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by Jackal(m): 11:45pm On Sep 04, 2006
Arsene Wenger should change his game pattern.
He should allow players to take snap shots like snipers and test opponent's goalkeeper.
Walking the ball into the net aint that easy these days as most teams get real physical against teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and United.
Arsenal lacks width. I rarely see Wenger using the wings to stretch teams apart.
Ljunberg/Hleb rarely crosses from the wings for strikers like Adebayor and Henry to cause extensive damages to teams which still brings us to the fact that Arsene lacks plan B.
When a certain formation fails him then he should take a bold step and change things around.
This is where i believe Arsenal fails in most times---Arsene wld have grabbed a point against Man City if he had introduced more strikers later in the game to pressure the Man City defence.
Anyways, i will be glad if Wenger can give Man Utd the much needed 3 points come september 17.
Man Utd 3-0 Arsenal won't be a disgrace to Wenger. Afterall, Arsenal has not won Man Utd in the Premiership since May 2002.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by LoverBwoy(m): 11:57pm On Sep 04, 2006
theres no much point crossing the ball when you dont have strikers the head ball

Watch out!! this season is different,

Man Utd Forwards Vs Arsenal Defence = ?

Midfield u go shake you till chew gum comes out of your mouth!

Man utd Defence Vs Arsenal Forward = the midfield will be the main battle ground wink
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by Jackal(m): 12:09am On Sep 05, 2006
We all know the answer to Man Utd forward Vs Arsenal's defence.
Wayne Rooney will def'ly feature against Arsenal and thats the cutting edge United will have.
United is the best attacking team in the country for the last 12 months and Rooney + Ronaldo will be handful once more.
Arsenal's forward will not even create a chance against United's fortress.
Neville + Ferdinand + Brown + Evra/Heinze will close shops on Henry(worn-out), Adebayor(crap) and Van Persie(brilliant player).
Arsene should forget about this match. The 3 points is in the bag already for Man Utd.
Lets start talking about the return match at the Emirates.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by LoverBwoy(m): 12:24am On Sep 05, 2006
yea its a match you will like to forget in a hurry, atleast we know what players you will be using wink

Clichy Gallas Toure Lauren/Eboue

Gallas and toure will definately deal with rooney

as for ronaldo, rosicky/helb will definately hold him up in midfield

Brown lmao grin cheesy

neville is a dirty player when it comes to arsenal he'll def learn,hope he doesnt lose his hips like roy keano chasing henry wink
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by SirKay3(m): 9:49pm On Sep 05, 2006
It pains sometimes when you think Wenger would have taken decisions with the interest of the supporters and glory of the club in mind, but goes contrary.

If not that am a die hard supporter of ARSENAL. I'ld have gone AWOL as others did when CHELSEA started winning laurels.

It pains when we lose or draw matches that would have been considered walkovers, but what would I have done. That's the price to be paid for being a die hard GUNNER.

I pray Wenger change his policies one day

GUNNERS FOREVER
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by LondonCool(m): 7:30pm On Aug 24, 2008
Nothing much has changed since 2006, AW is still stubborn.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by A40(m): 8:06pm On Aug 24, 2008
I wasn't even on nl when this thread was formed.I am very pissed with Wenger infact if he doesn't win anything this season let him just go and join the board while we search for a new manager
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by bolaoni(m): 9:33pm On Aug 24, 2008
E ya, e pele o. God go helep una this season because you need divine intervention in your case o.

Wait a minute, do they have Juju in France coz it seems Mr. Wenger has jazzed all the Arsenal Board
to the extent that no one can question his (in)decision.

Na wa o. If this continues, I dey see Mass Exodus for the end of this season again o. No footballer loves
just playing attractive football and ending up not winning at the end of the day.

No problem Monseuir Wenger, I won't cry for you sha.
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by manmustwac(m): 10:46pm On Aug 24, 2008
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha grin E no go easy for you gunners this season oh! I can just imagine if u guys don't manage to finish 4th then half of you gunners for life fans would start supporting another team!
Re: My Grouse Against Wenger: From A True Gunner by mukina2: 10:53pm On Aug 24, 2008
see who dey laff us o grin grin

shame nor catch you? grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obafemi Martins Escapes Armed Robbery Attack In Lagos / Arsenal Chase Nigerian Defender,Obinze Ogbonna / Who Is The Best African Player?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.