Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,127 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. (47175 Views)

Farmer Arrests Cow On His Farm In Abuja, Drags It To The Police Station (pic) / Plantain Chips Production And Packaging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Pavore9: 11:27am On Mar 10, 2015
From my recent visit to a biogas centre in Kajiado County, the home of the Maasais in Kenya. The waste from the abattoir is used to generate biogas which fuels the big generator that powers the abattoir and they have also achieved packaging the biogas in a cylinder and it sells for half the price of the more common LPG.

lf you have some MBs to spare you can watch the less than 3 mins video of the possibilities biogas offers us all

Watch video http://koboideas..com/2015/03/blog-post.html

22 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 10, 2015
seen d link now

1 Like

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by boluwajokosegun: 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2015
This is beautiful , hpoe nigeria will get there too, this kenya is a place to be , they have very good structures on ground that help them to always lead africa in agriculture. Nigeria is far far behind but we can get there by HIS grace. Thanks @Povare9

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Pavore9: 11:33pm On Mar 10, 2015
boluwajokosegun:
This is beautiful , hpoe nigeria will get there too, this kenya is a place to be , they have very good structures on ground that help them to always lead africa in agriculture. Nigeria is far far behind but we can get there by HIS grace. Thanks @Povare9

You are welcome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Pavore9: 1:17am On Mar 11, 2015
Of all the bio-digesters l have come in contact with, l stick to the canvass option because it requires no construction work that requires digging and block work. This is the type that is brain-child of the biogas centre in Karen, Nairobi. It can be set up within hours and after one week, you start cooking with the gas. As you can see from the pictures the installation is so easy. What you see tied to the motorbike is a unit of the biogas digester which the man is taking to his village to go install. One needs only ONE cow for this system or can make arrangement to be collecting cow dung from an abattoir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Pavore9: 1:25am On Mar 11, 2015
Once you start up the digester, you can comfortably add your bio-degradable kitchen waste into the digester alongside the cow dung. As long as you feed the digester it will continue to generate gas. One can also feed in grasses cut into smaller sizes.

The covering that looks like greenhouse protects the digesters from children because kids love to bounce on the digester when it is full of gas they assume it is bouncing castle grin Secondly it makes the digester warmer thus generating biogas at a faster rate.

The first pictures shows a woman pouring in waste into the digester through the inlet. As long as you feed the digester it will continue to generate gas.

The second picture shows the biodigester with its funnel (where the feedstock goes through)

The third picture is the outlet where the slurry comes out from after the feedstock has been digested. This slurry is organic fertilizer and it is also sold by owners of the digester. If you have a farm, then you have a steady supply of organic fertilizer.

The fourth picture is a newly set up biodigester.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Pavore9: 1:55am On Mar 11, 2015
The first picture is bags of for each digester.

The second picture is the kitchen where the cooker is being powered by biogas (l was in that kitchen last Wednesday when one of the workers was boiling water to serve us tea grin)

The third picture is the digester without the covering.

The fourth picture is the digester with the covering.

2 Likes

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by olushollys(m): 7:25am On Mar 11, 2015
oga great job you are doing here.
this is what i have been thinking of setting up lately, pls i will like to ask if u can help in any way to acquire and set up this bio digester and like how much in naira would it cost.
thanks

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by FarmTech(m): 11:42pm On Mar 11, 2015
I must surely build this thing one day, all I'm waiting for is when I get a farm I'll be staying for a long time.
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Nobody: 2:03am On Mar 12, 2015
plz how kuch is d biodigester in naira equivalent?
how can it be used to generate lighting in a farm? will d gas powet our usual fuel generators?

4 Likes

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by sheyi86: 9:55am On Mar 12, 2015
@pavore9 pls give us online video that wl reveal sted by step procedure in building d digester and d whole process of the biogas production.thanks
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Pavore9: 10:15am On Mar 12, 2015
mercylicious:
plz how kuch is d biodigester in naira equivalent?
how can it be used to generate lighting in a farm? will d gas powet our usual fuel generators?

From my exposure to the digester, every other thing needed apart from the digester is very much available in Nigeria, Apart from the digester itself what is needed is PVC pipes, hose-like tubes , plastic taps for control and a slight modification around the on/off part of the regular gas cooker so that it can allow biogas to flow through as against the regular LPG it was initially made for,

Likewise slight modification is made to the regular diesel/petrol engine generators so that biogas would power it against the conventional petrol and diesel. As l have seen it power small generators like 'l better pass my neighbour'.

A big digester that can cook for about 30 people daily or specifically power a generator should cost about N90k as the amount of gas generated is dependent on size of the digester (the canvass/tarpaulin laid on the ground) and the waste fed into the digester.

Even if one is not around to use the gas generated, one can get a big canvass (like the suspended green canvass in the second picture) which is hung on a tree or a pole and since gas generated is not being used. it would be storing up in the suspended canvass and you can have neighbours tap from it on the grounds that they are feeding the digester(s) with waste in exchange for the gas.

1 Like

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Pavore9: 10:20am On Mar 12, 2015
sheyi86:
@pavore9 pls give us online video that wl reveal sted by step procedure in building d digester and d whole process of the biogas production.thanks

This biodigester (the one with canvass/tarpaulin) is the owner's patent so the thickness and quality of the canvass is not in my privy!
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by sheyi86: 2:01pm On Mar 12, 2015
Pavore9:

This biodigester (the one with canvass/tarpaulin) is the owner's patent so the thickness and quality of the canvass is not in my privy!
Ok sir, since u know it teach me nw atleast wit pic i wl understand.thnks
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by FarmTech(m): 2:22pm On Mar 12, 2015
sheyi86:
Ok sir, since u know it teach me nw atleast wit pic i wl understand.thnks
There are different types of digester, but the cheapest is the one they use sun-resistant waterproof to construct. They call it the bag digester and if you know plumbing you can build your own. With digester like that you don't put grass because it can block the outlet. You only use manure and some kitchen wastes. If you're looking for where to start educating yourself about biogas digesters, I wrote about them here.

2 Likes

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by FarmTech(m): 2:26pm On Mar 12, 2015
Pavore9:

I really wonder if they sell sun-resistant and gas tight tarpaulines or waterproof in nigeria, anyone know where I can get them?
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Pavore9: 2:35pm On Mar 12, 2015
FarmTech:

I really wonder if they sell sun-resistant and gas tight tarpaulines or waterproof in nigeria, anyone know where I can get them?
lt may be around but these guys here have theirs custom-made in China.
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by sheyi86: 4:53pm On Mar 12, 2015
FarmTech:

There are different types of digester, but the cheapest is the one they use sun-resistant waterproof to construct. They call it the bag digester and if you know plumbing you can build your own. With digester like that you don't put grass because it can block the outlet. You only use manure and some kitchen wastes. If you're looking for where to start educating yourself about biogas digesters, I wrote about them here.
God bless u sir more wisdon IN JESUS NAME.THANKS
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by ThundrCork(m): 7:04pm On Mar 14, 2015
useful
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by FarmTech(m): 8:44pm On Mar 14, 2015
sheyi86:
God bless u sir more wisdon IN JESUS NAME.THANKS
Amen.
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by politricks: 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
Good job op
keep it up

1 Like

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by steffans(m): 10:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
ok

1 Like

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by adepiero: 10:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
I hope we run out of crude oil very soon, maybe then we can open our minds to better and sustainable source of energy. kudos to Kenya for the innovation and invention

2 Likes

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by mczico: 10:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
.I go soon. blow

but blame Jonathan if I know blow

...gej till Buhari get PGD in corruption

2 Likes

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
good
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by abumeinben(m): 10:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
shocked

Well not dat we don't do dis here.... my chemical engineering friends did it as project.... but u know na,it ends with project defence
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by corozy(m): 10:30pm On Mar 14, 2015
Nice...
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by Mckmouth: 10:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
Haba,visit National Biotechnology Development Agency Airport Rd in Abuja,u wl get basic information about this as well.

1 Like

Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by uviesa(m): 10:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
دسجب جسب سب.جد سسبساب.دسجس سدسبصج
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by bighead1(m): 10:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
brb
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by icebebe(f): 10:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
Wow the same cow waste which would have created the environmental pollution can be effectively used for producing biogas, an excellent sources of renewable energy n also can b use as gas.mmmmm... Dis is wonderful,oneday we will get dere
Re: Generating Electricity And Packaging Cooking Gas In Cylinders From Cow Waste. by japhmanuel: 10:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
Lets go there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Largest Pig Farm In Plateau State / Hunter Kills An Elephant At Janiyi Camp, Idanre, Ondo State. / Deadliest Snakes In Africa: 10 African Snakes To Respect And Fear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.