Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,018 members, 7,810,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (54264 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Etymology Of Yoruba Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 9:53pm On Mar 17, 2015
bigfrancis: If you want to doubt his work, it is left to
you. Your problem with his book is not just
doubting his work but you do it for the
very fact that he left evidence of the
usage of 'oyibo', not 'oyinbo' in Igboland
dating to the 18th century - a very fact which you despise. Meanwhile you have
utterly failed to provide any evidence
whatsoever of 'oyinbo' in South West. And
will continue to fail.
What is the meaning of the word 'Oyiibo' which is as old as Olaudah Equano in Igbo language? Is Impounderable?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 9:55pm On Mar 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are going to a Yoruba man to ask for the etymology of oyibo in Edo??

When there is an Edo man, who has proven himself well-knowledgeable in Edo history, on this thread you could have easily implored his opinion?

What else do you expect from him to answer you other than self-gratifying answers twisted in some way to some yoruba origin?

Is that how much you think a Yoruba a beast? Na wa o

Soon I would be accused of claiming the British empire
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 9:59pm On Mar 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Keep it coming. Oba gha tor kpere! Isee!

@bold...please cite evidence here and lay it bare for everybody to see.

When a lie becomes severally repeated, it sounds like truth to the lying person himself.

@ bigfrancis21 - first see the Lagos State official website: http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagelinks.php?p=8

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Lagos

There are some argument here: https://www.nairaland.com/243846/lagos-eko-owns-it

NOTE: Over the years some Yoruba tampered with aspect of this historical events to dilute it. But they could NOT erase or deny it because it was well recorded and have many human and material evidences till today.

For example on the Lagos official site, they wrote, "... Lagos was originally called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink, by its Bini
conquerors."

Now my friend can you see a subtle way of giving two opinions? Do you know why the Yorubas added this phrase, "either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"? To simply create opportunity for their people to argue it away and choose or claim the first.

But truth EKO was 100% Benin name, given to Lagos by the Benin. I fear Yoruba people ooo. smiley

But you'll notice they are unable to deny Lagos conquest and establishment of its Monarchy by the Great Benin Kings. They are unable to deny human and material evidences such as the Obanikoro family etc

They are not happy those events are more modern, well recorded and documented internationally. So they allow it be.

However you will NEVER hear Yorubas acknowledge these events; they will NEVER celebrate it. They NEVER mention this whenever they talk about Benin history except mouthing old fables and mythological folklore of Oduduwa weaved together to promote ego.

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 10:02pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

No. Unfortunately, that is the impression that you have been creating for yourself on this forum. Sorry.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 10:22pm On Mar 17, 2015
ladionline:
What is the meaning of the word 'Oyiibo' which is as old as Olaudah Equano in Igbo language? Is Impounderable?

It is just like asking me to break down the word, 'biko' in Igbo language when it is already a word on its own that means 'please', or break down 'chair' in English language into 'cha + ir' syllables. Note that, the Urhobo also use 'biko' for please.

Dude or Madam, it is a word on its own in Igbo that simply means 'light skinned person', whether light-skinned Igbo or European.

Don't get me wrong. It has not been established who copied the word from each other. The fact that the word is used amongst the Igbo, Edos and Yorubas points to a common ancestral origin for these ethnic groups. However, the massive use of 'oyibo' all over southern Nigeria (Igbo, Igala, Edo, Urhobo, etc) and 'oyinbo' exclusively amongst the Yorubas shows that 'oyibo' might be the original word from the common ancestor, with Yorubas adding the 'n' nasal sound in line with its language nasal feature. Yorubas attaching the 'honey + peel' meaning to 'oyinbo', which happens to be coincidence, by the way, and breaking it into smaller syllables is a ploy against the obvious. Don't forget Yoruba is a nasal language. Below is a classic example of an original Igbo word, 'nwa nti nti' (which means 'very small' in Igbo) corrupted to 'wan tin tin' (adding of the 'n' sound as usual) by Yorubas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QPAx8UP2kU

In 2 generations to come, Yorubas growing up to speak 'wan tin tin' might want claim it to be Yoruba and Igbos copying it from Yorubas. History repeating itself.

Now, academic proof so far has shown the usage of 'oyibo' in Igboland to as far back as the 18th century i.e 300 years ago. This is the 21st century (to remind those who have lost track of time). Academic proof of the Igbo dispenses any false claims of 'From Yoruba' adoption of the word. If for anything, it proves the Igbo have been using 'oyibo' for at least 300 years back in time. Need I remind you that the Nri civilization (9AD) is, at least, 200 years older than the earliest Yoruba civilization -Ife, and 400 years older than the Oyo civilization (14AD).
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 10:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
Nigerman1: Let me advice you: Next time you meet an
Edo person, respect him/her as a distinct
Edo. Don't tell him/her is a Yoruba. And
please announce and encourage your
tribesmen to desist from this insult. It is well with you
Thanks for the kind words, I will do as you ask the day you stop hating on Yoruba and let go of daydreaming that Lagos Island was for Edo. Look at the crafty way you are pushing the same propaganda you are cruxifying Yorubas for! You were twisting my words to suit your Lagos aspirations after making a laughingstock of my ancestors as evil. I am from Ado, the very first king of Lagos Island is Oba Ado. The Obanikoro can trace their origin to Mars. Stop blaming Yoruba for answering in kind. Be the change you want to see, I am not 'Yoruba answer' to bully against Yoruba, but dont feed me Edo traditions for Yoruba history: respect is reciprocal, don't love me when you hate my people cos I am not one of your people. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 10:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

smh. you didn't address my post but sought to provoke

Anyway I don't consider Yoruba and Edo same people, I consider Yoruba and Edo brothers

Nigerman1 doesn't even know his Edo history, pls am I to take an edo man who doesn't know Oranmiyan seriously?

@ macof - Edos and Yorubas are NOT brothers. We share no blood relation at all. However if you have evidence to the contrary please say it now so I can evaluate it.

However as members of the black race, we are brothers. Just as we are brothers to Igbo, Ijaw, Ghanaian, Fulani, Tiv etc

Again you wrote: " Nigerman1 doesn't even know his Edo history, pls am I to take an edo man who doesn't know Oranmiyan seriously?"

I know Oranyan story very well my dear macof. According to Yoruba folklore and tales, Oranyan founded or he/his son was first king of Benin. Is this not what you mean?

Bro you don't have to establish this fable, because its already in public domain in Yorubaland. And as a Yoruba person I don't expect you to believe otherwise because you'd been fed from the cradle with this fable.

But I plead with you to accept the real truth, though it may hurt: ORANYAN (and Oduduwa) were NOT human beings, but demon gods of the Yoruba in ancient times.

Those stories are called MYTHOLOGIES in advanced human ancient histories.

NOTE: Do you know they still worship Oduduwa with human lives up till today?

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 10:28pm On Mar 17, 2015
Radoillo:

I also think it might me fruitful to explore an Edo origin. Do you know of any Edo etymology of 'oyibo' or the related term 'ebo'?

it's a whole bunch of things that I took into consideration

1. "ebo" is popular among Edos for European. “Oba Yan Oto Se
Evbo Ebo” Oba owns the land up till the European's country
2. Urhobo use only Oyibo unlike Igbo that have multiple terms for light skinned person

Urhobo are known to have migrated from Edo and among the first to have contact with the Europeans.. the term "Oyibo" is most likely linked to where they are coming from
3. according to many things I have observed "Oyibo" is only popular with western Igbos once under Benin empire
4. Bigfrancis taught me a little Igbo "o yi ibo" looks like Ibo...could actually be "o yi ebo" - he looks like the Europeans

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 10:32pm On Mar 17, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ macof - Edos and Yorubas are NOT brothers. We share no blood relation at all. However if you have evidence to the contrary please say it now so I can evaluate it.

However as members of the black race, we are brothers. Just as we are brothers to Igbo, Ijaw, Ghanaian, Fulani, Tiv etc

Again you wrote: " Nigerman1 doesn't even know his Edo history, pls am I to take an edo man who doesn't know Oranmiyan seriously?"

I know Oranyan story very well my dear macof. According to Yoruba folklore and tales, Oranyan founded or he/his son was first king of Benin. Is this not what you mean?

Bro you don't have to establish this fable, because its already in public domain in Yorubaland. And as a Yoruba person I don't expect you to believe otherwise because you'd been fed from the cradle with this fable.

But I plead with you to accept the real truth, though it may hurt: ORANYAN (and Oduduwa) were NOT human beings, but demon gods of the Yoruba in ancient times.

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 10:33pm On Mar 17, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ bigfrancis21 - first see the Lagos State official website: http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/pagelinks.php?p=8

There are some argument here: https://www.nairaland.com/243846/lagos-eko-owns-it

NOTE: Over the years some Yoruba tampered with aspect of this historical events to dilute it. But they could NOT erase or deny it because it was well recorded and have many human and material evidences till today.

For example on the Lagos official site, they wrote, "... Lagos was originally called Eko, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink, by its Bini
conquerors."

Now my friend can you see a subtle way of giving two opinions? Do you know why the Yorubas added this phrase, "either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"? To simply create opportunity for their people to argue it away and choose or claim the first.

But truth EKO was 100% Benin name, given to Lagos by the Benin. I fear Yoruba people ooo. smiley

But you'll notice they are unable to deny Lagos conquest and establishment of its Monarchy by the Great Benin Kings. They are unable to deny human and material evidences such as the Obanikoro family etc

They are not happy those events are more modern, well recorded and documented internationally. So they allow it be.

However you will NEVER hear Yorubas acknowledge these events; they will NEVER celebrate it. They NEVER mention this whenever they talk about Benin history except mouthing old fables and mythological folklore of Oduduwa weaved together to promote ego.

Thank you for providing the links. Keep the edo history and tradition alive. The Bini Kingdom was such a great one until 1897 when it was burned and the city looted by the British (during their 2nd expedition after a failed first expedition by the british). Who knows what would have been of the great kingdom by now had it been left to exist.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 10:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

2. Urhobo use only Oyibo unlike Igbo that have multiple terms for light skinned person

Urhobo are known to have migrated from Edo and among the first to have contact with the Europeans.. the term "Oyibo" is most likely linked to where they are coming from
3. according to many things I have observed "Oyibo" is only popular with western Igbos once under Benin empire
4. Bigfrancis taught me a little Igbo "o yi ibo" looks like Ibo...could actually be "o yi ebo" - he looks like the Europeans

If it excites you to believe 'oyibo' is derived from 'ebo' in Bini and therefore the Edos are the originator of the word 'oyibo'/'oyinbo', would it please you to accept that Yorubas borrowed the word from Edos? cheesy
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 10:47pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

The use of Oyibo actually extends farther east than the areas formerly under some form of Bini hegemony. And members of my grandmother's and great grandmother's generations had such names as Egbeoyibo, Okwuoyibo, or just plain Oyibo.

However (and here I may differ from my Igbo brothers) I really suspect that the word did not originate with Igbo-speakers. I suspect it originated with those groups who have had a far longer history of contact with Europeans.

Etymological investigations taking note of languages spoken along the coast and in such kingdoms as Benin may ultimately help answer the question.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 10:49pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

Ok. Lets examine this
Oye Eboe which according to u Eboe the spelling for "Igbo" pronounced "ibo" by Europeans

You once said this Oyibo could be O yi ibo = looks like Igbo
Why would Igbos of that time excuse themselves from using "Igbo"...to produce something like Oyigbo and prefer Ibo which many didn't make sense of?? The European influence at that time in Olaudah's village wasn't even that significant to warrant such a thing

Ur thesis doesn't add up

LOL! Don't tell me you took that seriously. grin Dude, you first started the game of breaking down words into syllables to 'attach' meaning to it, I was simply playing to the tune which you, the piper, called. grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 10:51pm On Mar 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Do not be quick to forget that I have argued with you before on this Edo/Yoruba issue back in 2013 on a thread where you were claiming edos as yorubas, and I lectured severally you on the differences between both peoples, starting with the dissimilarity in Edo and Yoruba languages for starters. You were obtrusively recalcitrant and adamant in your false belief that Edos are Yorubas. I would easily pull out your quotes the next minute if you want me to.

People like NigerMan1 are the reason truth about the Edo distinction from Yoruba will continue to be known and passed down to generations.

I noticed you 'tactically' dodged some of the questions he posed to you. Given that you are 'all-knowing' and your 'knowledge' is final, why don't you step up and answer his questions? Or why is that difficult for you?
I told u then that I have Edo in laws and friends, I could include Edo folks am nt so familiar with that consider Edo and Yoruba brothers as well
In the words of a friend of mine from my church going days "Yoruba and Edo are the same, sons of the same father"

I brought up a point that the historical ties are undeniable and the problem is that Edo cannot be called Yoruba but we are members of a larger group that doesn't have a name, so I jokingly named it “oduduwa"...or did I say anything other than this?

Smh if u are truthful or not ignorant you would be silent on nigerman's matter cus it's awfully shameful that he claims to be Edo and doesn't know Oranmiyan, Oba Ewedo, Ogiamen and the transition of Edionwere chiefs to Uzama now subjects of the Oba which I mentioned to him

Anyway I won't even comment on Edo history as it offends some emotional people, but know that it's impossible to speak history of Edo, or history of Yoruba without bringing the two together at some point

I ignored wat I felt as complete crap

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

LOL! Don't tell me you took that seriously. grin Dude, you first started the game of breaking down words into syllables to 'attach' meaning to it, I was simply playing to the tune which you, the piper, called. grin

In other words u lied. a Christian lying.grin
Carry on...

then we take it.Oyibo has no root word in Igbo...bad phase for ur "Yoruba copied from Igbos" thesis
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 10:56pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

I told u then that I have Edo in laws and friends, I could include Edo folks am nt so familiar with that consider Edo and Yoruba brothers as well
In the words of a friend of mine from my church going days "Yoruba and Edo are the same, sons of the same father"

I brought up a point that the historical ties are undeniable and the problem is that Edo cannot be called Yoruba but we are members of a larger group that doesn't have a name, so I jokingly named it “oduduwa"...or did I say anything other than this?

Smh if u are truthful or not ignorant you would be silent on nigerman's matter cus it's awfully shameful that he claims to be Edo and doesn't know Oranmiyan, Oba Ewedo, Ogiamen and the transition of Edionwere chiefs to Uzama now subjects of the Oba which I mentioned to him

Anyway I won't even comment on Edo history as it offends some emotional people, but know that it's impossible to speak history of Edo, or history of Yoruba without bringing the two together at some point

I ignored wat I felt as complete crap

I was following your argument and his silently. No, you didn't ignore his post because you felt it was crap. He stood up squarely to your misinformation and at some point you gave up because you hadn't answers anymore to give him and you could no longer stand up to him.

And I don't remember you telling me of any Edo in laws whatsoever but what I do remember clearly is your adamant belief to unlearn the fact that Edos are not Yorubas, a belief which you reiterated on this thread and on the other thread (Oyibo or Oyinbo which one is correct) few days ago (2015), claiming that Edos are Yorubas and Igbo copied from Edos, thus copying from Yorubas.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 10:58pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

In other words u lied. a Christian lying.grin
Carry on...

then we take it.Oyibo has no root word in Igbo...bad phase for ur "Yoruba copied from Igbos" thesis

I'm not even a christian to start with. That I mention the bible doesn't make me a christain neither does it make me a muslim if I quote the quaran.

There's an even more plausible thesis, 'oyibo' is a corruption of the white man's pronunciation of 'onye igbo' as 'oye ebo'. wink
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 11:01pm On Mar 17, 2015
Meanwhile, what is the lingering Yoruba crisis going on in Wema bank? wink
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 11:12pm On Mar 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I was following your argument and his silently. No, you didn't ignore his post because you felt it was crap. He stood up squarely to your misinformation and at some point you gave up because you hadn't answers anymore to give him and you could no longer stand up to him.

And I don't remember you telling me of any Edo in laws whatsoever but what I do remember clearly is your adamant belief to unlearn the fact that Edos are not Yorubas, a belief which you reiterated on this thread and on the other thread (Oyibo or Oyinbo which one is correct) few days ago (2015), claiming that Edos are Yorubas and Igbo copied from Edos, thus copying from Yorubas.
Macof is not the originator of 'Edo are Yoruba' paradigm, though he once held that position in the spirit of brotherhood of Yoruba Edo shared history. In one of my threads I cautioned him: one man can deny all you hold dear and paint your nicety as nonsence (I remember kwangi & antivirus when I was j.j.c.).
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 11:16pm On Mar 17, 2015
NigerMan1:

conquerors."

Do u want us to go down the road of the history of Lagos?

You keep talking about Lagos history but take offence when anybody talks about Bini history. Why? wat do u call that? Hypocrisy

Are u so interested in Lagos? U mind opening a thread let's discuss Oba Ado and his relationship with the Idejo chiefs?

Then u can also tell us how Oba of Benin lineage started without Oranmiyan

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 11:26pm On Mar 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

No. Unfortunately, that is the impression that you have been creating for yourself on this forum. Sorry.

That I am a beast? Because I am proudly Yoruba, I have become a beast?

Wow! Lovely compliment
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 11:40pm On Mar 17, 2015
NigerMan1:

Hmm and if I called Ewuare, Igodo, Eseige, Idia and other Edo figures demons am sure you would cry foul. But I don't insult history, or historical characters

Post like this where the king and father figure of over 40million people is called a demon is given a like by an obvious Yoruba hating mod (bigfrancis) instead of being hidden for breaking rules 1,2,3&8

Anyway such is expected

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 11:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

Do u want us to go down the road of the history of Lagos?

You keep talking about Lagos history but take offence when anybody talks about Bini history. Why? wat do u call that? Hypocrisy

Are u so interested in Lagos? U mind opening a thread let's discuss Oba Ado and his relationship with the Idejo chiefs?

Then u can also tell us how Oba of Benin lineage started without Oranmiyan

He doesnt want anyone make incursion thru Oranmiyan to Bini history, but he wants to make incursion on Yoruba thru Obanikoro/Idumota. What about Ebute Ero, Oko Awo, Enu Owa, Oke Arin, Apongbon, Onala, Obalende? Why can't they be Edo words?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 11:52pm On Mar 17, 2015
macof:

That I am a beast? Because I am proudly Yoruba, I have become a beast?

Wow! Lovely compliment

Dude, I never called you a beast. You called yourself a beast.

macof:

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 11:54pm On Mar 17, 2015
ladionline:
He doesnt want anyone make incursion thru Oranmiyan to Bini history, but he wants to make incursion on Yoruba thru Obanikoro/Idumota. What about Ebute Ero, Oko Awo, Enu Owa, Oke Arin, Apongbon, Onala, Obalende? Why can't they be Edo words?

You mean town names that might have been named only recently long after Bini establishment of Lagos? How does that prove authenticity of ownership of the land?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 11:57pm On Mar 17, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You mean town names that might have been named only recently long after Bini establishment of Lagos? How does that prove authenticity of ownership of the land?

Benin monarchy is of Yoruba lineage. Even if a Benin Oba established Eko, it is still a Yoruba establishing a Yoruba town.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 12:08am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

If it excites you to believe 'oyibo' is derived from 'ebo' in Bini and therefore the Edos are the originator of the word 'oyibo'/'oyinbo', would it please you to accept that Yorubas borrowed the word from Edos? wink

I guess Yoruba and Edo are that close, but then that's not of my opinion at all
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 12:14am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Dude, I never called you a beast. You called yourself a beast.

What else do you expect from him to
answer you other than self-gratifying
answers twisted in some way to some
yoruba origin?

You posted this about me, this implies that you think of me as a low life unpleasant person
I understand it's the hate...it's eating u up so bad
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 12:24am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It is just like asking me to break down the word, 'biko' in Igbo language when it is already a word on its own that means 'please', or break down 'chair' in English language into 'cha + ir' syllables. Note that, the Urhobo also use 'biko' for please.

Dude or Madam, it is a word on its own in Igbo that simply means 'light skinned person', whether light-skinned Igbo or European.

Don't get me wrong. It has not been established who copied the word from each other. The fact that the word is used amongst the Igbo, Edos and Yorubas points to a common ancestral origin for these ethnic groups. However, the massive use of 'oyibo' all over southern Nigeria (Igbo, Igala, Edo, Urhobo, etc) and 'oyinbo' exclusively amongst the Yorubas shows that 'oyibo' might be the original word from the common ancestor, with Yorubas adding the 'n' nasal sound in line with its language nasal feature. Yorubas attaching the 'honey + peel' meaning to 'oyinbo', which happens to be coincidence, by the way, and breaking it into smaller syllables is a ploy against the obvious. Don't forget Yoruba is a nasal language. Below is a classic example of an original Igbo word, 'nwa nti nti' (which means 'very small' in Igbo) corrupted to 'wan tin tin' (adding of the 'n' sound as usual) by Yorubas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QPAx8UP2kU

In 2 generations to come, Yorubas growing up to speak 'wan tin tin' might want claim it to be Yoruba and Igbos copying it from Yorubas. History repeating itself.

Now, academic proof so far has shown the usage of 'oyibo' in Igboland to as far back as the 18th century i.e 300 years ago. This is the 21st century (to remind those who have lost track of time). Academic proof of the Igbo dispenses any false claims of 'From Yoruba' adoption of the word. If for anything, it proves the Igbo have been using 'oyibo' for at least 300 years back in time. Need I remind you that the Nri civilization (9AD) is, at least, 200 years older than the earliest Yoruba civilization -Ife, and 400 years older than the Oyo civilization (14AD).

answer this question...were they speaking Yoruba in that video? Did they add wantintin to Yoruba language?

U keep talking of academic proof, when southern Nigerians haven't been writing books for a long time

Best thing here is to give us insight on the word Oyibo, such a word must be broken down to know the logic behind it

There's no known academic proof of Yoruba using Oyinbo before Olaudah's book, I don't need to bother myself because I know that already.. Unless one looks into any existing Ajami script written by Oyo traders you might never get ur "academic proof"

And where are u getting ur dates from? Wikipedia?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 12:31am On Mar 18, 2015
Radoillo:

The use of Oyibo actually extends farther east than the areas formerly under some form of Bini hegemony. And members of my grandmother's and great grandmother's generations had such names as Egbeoyibo, Okwuoyibo, or just plain Oyibo.

However (and here I may differ from my Igbo brothers) I really suspect that the word did not originate with Igbo-speakers. I suspect it originated with those groups who have had a far longer history of contact with Europeans.

Etymological investigations taking note of languages spoken along the coast and in such kingdoms as Benin may ultimately help answer the question.

Well I noticed everybody knows of the word oyibo even if it's jst in pidgin such people use it.

Edoid language speakers should attempt breaking down the word maybe a thread with such purpose can be moved to the front page..at least for the cause of knowledge and seeking truths
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 12:35am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Again with the slander. Ok show me where I said Edos are Yoruba
I already told u with my previous posts how I consider Edos my closest brothers in Nigeria(the world Infact) if u misunderstood that...well it's best u reread wat I posted
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 12:37am On Mar 18, 2015
Aigbofa:

Benin monarchy is of Yoruba lineage. Even if a Benin Oba established Eko, it is still a Yoruba establishing a Yoruba town.

LOL! Ignorance in the 21st century! grin

Keep wandering in self-gloating.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

New Photos Of Oluwo Of Iwo And His Queen / Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Yusuf Bayero, Dan’iya Of Kano Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.