Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,065 members, 7,810,971 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:46 PM

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (54271 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Etymology Of Yoruba Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 12:43am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

LOL! Ignorance in the 21st century! grin

Keep wandering in self-gloating.

Lemme use ur famous line

do you have academic proof against the notion of an Ife origin for the lineage of the Omo n'oba n'edo?

Cus there are so many books and websites...ur favourite - Wikipedia is one that attest to Oranmiyan having a son that began the Dynasty
Infact show us a piece of work on the origins of Obaship without Ife influence
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 12:45am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I'm not even a christian to start with. That I mention the bible doesn't make me a christain neither does it make me a muslim if I quote the quaran.

There's an even more plausible thesis, 'oyibo' is a corruption of the white man's pronunciation of 'onye igbo' as 'oye ebo'. wink

You sure worship Jesus...that makes u a Christian

Ok if u say so
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 12:46am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

answer this question...were they speaking Yoruba in that video? Did they add wantintin to Yoruba language?

U keep talking of academic proof, when southern Nigerians haven't been writing books for a long time

Best thing here is to give us insight on the word Oyibo, such a word must be broken down to know the logic behind it

There's no known academic proof of Yoruba using Oyinbo before Olaudah's book, I don't need to bother myself because I know that already.. Unless one looks into any existing Ajami script written by Oyo traders you might never get ur "academic proof"

And where are u getting ur dates from? Wikipedia?

Eeya. I understand that you are terribly restrained by bandwidth limitations to watch that video. I doubt that you watched that video.

Ngwa, here is the mp3 download link for your listening pleasure: http://www.freenaijalyrics.com/oyinkansola-love-wan-tintin-ft-brymo/#

Please download and listen to the track. Not only was it sung by 2 Yorubas they but spoke Yoruba at least 50% of the song.

And if you are still unable to download the mp3, here's the lyrics of the song handed to you on a platter of gold: grin

I am in love
But you make my head dey pop
No be cup
i dey dance alanta for rock
I no fit stop o
Ma ma lo o
To ba lo, mo ti gan , mo ti lo, mo ti te, ma dan wo
Omo lo shun bi eleyi
Boy you dey drive me crazy
I go have your baby
Anything you want Add or View Explanation [Show/Hide]

Sun mo mi ko je ka soro, ka le
Sun mo mi ko je ka soro, ka le Add or View Explanation [Show/Hide]

Oyinkansola, wa funmi lo la
Olawale, wa mu mi de le
Simple ABC, like 123
Be my chichichi
This love na wantintin Add or View Explanation [Show/Hide]

Girl, I am not ashamed
To say I love you
And if you would stay
Girl, I promise to love you
No mind Deborah
She dey jealous about you
If you go follow me go
I go guide and protect you
I got my eyes on you baby
So tell me what you wanna do baby
If you no chubidubi me, I no go dubidubi you baby
Oh baby eh eh eh eh eh Add or View Explanation [Show/Hide]

Olawale, wa mu de le
Simple ABC, like 123
Be my chichichi

Bo se n se mi, ko ye mi
Mi o sare, to wa n le mi
Ma je kan mo
Femi fun mi
Suro tete
Tele mi Add or View Explanation [Show/Hide]

Bo se n se mi, ko ye mi
Mi o sare, to n ba le mi
Ma je kan mo
Femi fun mi
Suro tete
Tele mi Add or View Explanation [Show/Hide]

Olawale, wa mu de le
Simple ABC, like 123
Be my chichichi

Olawale, wa mu de le
Simple ABC, like 123
Be my chichichi
This love na wantintin

http://www.freenaijalyrics.com/oyinkansola-love-wan-tintin-ft-brymo/#ixzz3UgouHihW

Chai. Google is so easy to use. grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 12:47am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

Lemme use ur famous line

do you have academic proof against the notion of an Ife origin for the lineage of the Omo n'oba n'edo?

Cus there are so many books and websites...ur favourite - Wikipedia is one that attest to Oranmiyan having a son that began the Dynasty
Infact show us a piece of work on the origins of Obaship without Ife influence

NigerMan1 is doing enough of that lecturing already and he is doing a great job of that. I leave it to him to 'educate' you better. cheesy
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 12:56am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

Again with the slander. Ok show me where I said Edos are Yoruba
I already told u with my previous posts how I consider Edos my closest brothers in Nigeria(the world Infact) if u misunderstood that...well it's best u reread wat I posted

@bold...no. This is only a revision of your earlier stance. Everybody in the Niger Delta and in Southern Nigeria knows Edo people are a distinct people, except the Yorubas.

In UNN, I had a Bini coursemate, 'ekhator' as coursemate who is a proud bini man, speaks bini fluently and learnt Igbo too while in UNN. He never saw himself as Yoruba or a Yoruba cousin whatsoever. During my secondary school days in Owerri, my classmate in the same class is from Edo (Ishan) and is proudly 'Ishan' and speaks fluent Owerri Igbo, I know another one during my service days in Owerri who is proudly edo and sees himself as 'bini'. All the Edos i've met don't ever see themselves as Yorubas. It is only on nairaland you will see Yorubas claiming Edos as Yorubas.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:03am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

answer this question...were they speaking Yoruba in that video? Did they add wantintin to Yoruba language?

U keep talking of academic proof, when southern Nigerians haven't been writing books for a long time

Best thing here is to give us insight on the word Oyibo, such a word must be broken down to know the logic behind it

There's no known academic proof of Yoruba using Oyinbo before Olaudah's book, I don't need to bother myself because I know that already.. Unless one looks into any existing Ajami script written by Oyo traders you might never get ur "academic proof"

And where are u getting ur dates from? Wikipedia?

First off, Hausas had been using Ajami script to write Hausa language as early as 15th century. Ajami script was borrowed by the Yoruba by 17th century as part of the Islamic conquest of Yoruba land. Very soon, you would want to claim ownership of 'ajami script'. grin

Please be my guest. Go ahead and provide academic evidence in ajami script of the recording of 'oyingbo' by oyo traders. Please don't fail again this time as you did woefully before. grin

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:03am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Eeya. I understand that you are terribly restrained by bandwidth limitations to watch that video. I doubt that you watched that video.

Ngwa, here is the mp3 download link for your listening pleasure: http://www.freenaijalyrics.com/oyinkansola-love-wan-tintin-ft-brymo/#

Please download and listen to the track. Not only was it sung by 2 Yorubas they but spoke Yoruba at least 50% of the song.

And if you are still unable to download the mp3, here's the lyrics of the song handed to you on a platter of gold: grin

Chai. Google is so easy to use. grin

Oh I have the data to watch the video, am jst nt a wasteful person, I rather on more productive things like my manga reading and favourite TV series

U notice that was a song with pidgin and Yoruba mix right?

This love na wantintin - perfect Yoruba to u right?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 1:08am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You mean town names that might have been named only recently long after Bini establishment of Lagos? How does that prove authenticity of ownership of the land?
Never mind, I am only testing your despiration, now use googlemap to ascertain your guesswork, and work harder or press nigerman1 to give you the ultimate record that will delete Lagos Island from Yoruba commonwealth. I pray you know the implication of your to-do.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 1:10am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

LOL! Ignorance in the 21st century! grin
Keep wandering in self-gloating.

Ignorance? Why was the heads of dead Benin Obas buried in Ife? Another myth? Maybe the Benin folks just love to bury the heads of their dead obas in foreign lands.
I would wager you just make up your own history as you go along.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200405100888.html
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:10am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

First off, Hausas had been using Ajami script to write Hausa language as early as 15th century. Ajami script was borrowed by the Yoruba by 17th century as part of the Islamic conquest of Yoruba land. Very soon, you would want to claim ownership of 'ajami script'. grin

Please be my guest. Go ahead and provide academic evidence in ajami script of the recording of 'oyingbo' by oyo traders. Please don't fail again this time as you did woefully before. grin

Hmm Islamic conquest of Yorubaland? I see, I didn't know that existed
in wat year but most importantly in wat realm?

Why would I want anything to do with Arabs or their writing? pure nonsense

Sorry go ask the Alaafin for that...u are the one interested in "academic proof"
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:14am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

You posted this about me, this implies that you think of me as a low life unpleasant person
I understand it's the hate...it's eating u up so bad

When I posted that I meant you in terms of being ignorant of issues beyond Yoruba, with your knowledge you've displayed bordering only on Yoruba mythology and very little of Edo history (as seen from your narrow-minded view). Let me reiterate myself, I was referring to Rodoillo approaching an Edo man himself to ask for the etymology of 'oyibo' in Bini language rather than a Yoruba man (you) who knows absolutely nothing about the Bini language. It is just the same way, someone would approach a Hausa man for issues about Igbo when he could have easily approached an Igbo person instead. Now, there are exceptions to this: some Igbo aren't fully knowledgeable in Igbo history, so are some Yoruba and Hausa.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:16am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

@bold...no. This is only a revision of your earlier stance. Everybody in the Niger Delta and in Southern Nigeria knows Edo people are a distinct people, except the Yorubas.

In UNN, I had a Bini coursemate, 'ekhator' as coursemate who is a proud bini man, speaks bini fluently and learnt Igbo too while in UNN. He never saw himself as Yoruba or a Yoruba cousin whatsoever. During my secondary school days in Owerri, my classmate in the same class is from Edo (Ishan) and is proudly 'Ishan' and speaks fluent Owerri Igbo, I know another one during my service days in Owerri who is proudly edo and sees himself as 'bini'. All the Edos i've met don't ever see themselves as Yorubas. It is only on nairaland you will see Yorubas claiming Edos as Yorubas.
Ok then check from page 0 and show me where I said Edos are Yoruba...if u can't u should be ashamed of urself for gleefully propagating chaos and slander as a Mod

I didn't say all Edos have the brother consciousness when they think of Yoruba

Anyway I am used to ur slander already
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:17am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

Oh I have the data to watch the video, am jst nt a wasteful person, I rather on more productive things like my manga reading and favourite TV series

U notice that was a song with pidgin and Yoruba mix right?

This love na wantintin - perfect Yoruba to u right?

Hahaha! You obviously don't have the data, not especially when you asked me if they were speaking Yoruba in the video. grin

And up till now, you still haven't watched it! grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:18am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

Ok then check from page 0 and show me where I said Edos are Yoruba...if u can't u should be ashamed of urself for gleefully propagating chaos and slander as a Mod

I didn't say all Edos have the brother consciousness when they think of Yoruba

Anyway I am used to ur slander already

Dude, not only in this thread, but in the other thread and the thread from 2013!
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:22am On Mar 18, 2015
Aigbofa:

Ignorance? Why was the heads of dead Benin Obas buried in Ife? Another myth? Maybe the Benin folks just love to bury the heads of their dead obas in foreign lands.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200405100888.html

Are all Bini Obas buried in Ife? That particular Oba might have opted to be buried in Ife, maybe due to some extra relations he might have with the Ife people. Anybody can be buried anywhere. Quoting 1 link doesn't prove anything.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:22am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You mean town names that might have been named only recently long after Bini establishment of Lagos? How does that prove authenticity of ownership of the land?

grin grin I keep asking u and ur Lord and master Nigerman1 to tell us about the Idejo chiefs and their relationship with Oba Ado

am sure the internet has a long line of stuff for u
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:24am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

Sorry go ask the Alaafin for that...u are the one interested in "academic proof"

Dude, since you brought up the issue of Ajami script, please proceed to provide evidence of 'oyinbo' in Ajami script. Geez. Simple homework. Why is this so difficult for you? undecided
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:25am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

grin grin I keep asking u and ur Lord and master Nigerman1 to tell us about the Idejo chiefs and their relationship with Oba Ado

am sure the internet has a long line of stuff for u

And you have utterly failed to provide evidence of 'oyinbo' in Ajami script equally. grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 1:26am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Are all Bini Obas buried in Ife? NO! That particular Oba might have opted to be buried in Ife, maybe due to some extra relations he might have with the Ife people. Anybody can be buried anywhere. Quoting 1 link doesn't prove anything.

Obas were not just anybody even in ancient times. You obviously understand the symbolism of bringing their heads back to Ife even if you wouldn't admit it.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:27am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

@bold...then why did you bring up the issue of Ajami in the first place? To prove what to me? Hypocrisy. grin

Or you brought up the issue to claim Ajami script as yours, another ploy of yours to claim something not belonging to you as usual? lipsrsealed
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:28am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Hahaha! You obviously don't have the data, not especially when you asked me if they were speaking Yoruba in the video. grin

And up till now, you still haven't watched it! grin

Of course am nt going to watch it, I already knew wat the case was immediately I saw u posted a video link so watching it is a waste of time

you have a classic case, how pidgin becomes Yoruba I don't know

keep looking for a Yoruba video where they actually speak Yoruba and chip in wantintin in a Yoruba sentence
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:29am On Mar 18, 2015
Aigbofa:

Obas were not just anybody even in ancient times. You obviously understand the symbolism of bringing their heads back to Ife even if you wouldn't admit it.

Please answer my question, are all Bini Obas buried in Ife? Yes or No?

How many Bini Obas have been buried in Ife? Honestly I don't know. Let me know.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:32am On Mar 18, 2015
Aigbofa:

The guy is a chronic liar, to be honest am glad it's not a Yoruba person propagating such behaviour, I would have been so ashamed

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:33am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

Of course am nt going to watch it, I already knew wat the case was immediately I saw u posted a video link so watching it is a waste of time

you have a classic case, how pidgin becomes Yoruba I don't know

keep looking for a Yoruba video where they actually speak Yoruba and chip in wantintin in a Yoruba sentence

You would go any extent to deny Yorubas are have adopted some Igbo words. grin

Even when the evidence is clear.

These are 2 yorubas singing in Yoruba language, not Igbo language, and adding 'wantintin' (an Igbo word) to their song. grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:34am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

The guy is a chronic liar, to be honest am glad it's not a Yoruba person propagating such behaviour, I would have been so ashamed

grin grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:35am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

NigerMan1 is doing enough of that lecturing already and he is doing a great job of that. I leave it to him to 'educate' you better. cheesy

the edo man who is disgracing himself with his nonsense...I told him to go ask his uncles about Oranmiyan
Surely they remember him from their childhood days of father - son story time
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:38am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You would go any extent to deny Yorubas are have adopted some Igbo words. grin

Even when the evidence is clear.

These are 2 yorubas singing in Yoruba language, not Igbo language, and adding 'wantintin' (an Igbo word) to their song. grin

U call that evidence? smh

Where did u put the pidgin?

Answer this pls
What language is this? This love na wantintin

Pidgin or Yoruba

oh don't bother, I know u lack the virtue of honesty
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:40am On Mar 18, 2015
Aigbofa:

Nigerman1 will say Prince Isede is another Yoruba demon
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:46am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

the edo man who is disgracing himself with his nonsense...I told him to go ask his uncles about Oranmiyan
Surely they remember him from their childhood days of father - son story time

You mean after you 'tactically' chickened out and failed to step up to the thoughtful questions he posed at you? Is that your definition of 'man'?

You're only making noise now (sudden burst of energy) because he is away (probably asleep). When he comes back and the heat gets too hot, you chicken out as usual. grin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:49am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

When I posted that I meant you in terms of being ignorant of issues beyond Yoruba, with your knowledge you've displayed bordering only on Yoruba mythology and very little of Edo history (as seen from your narrow-minded view). Let me reiterate myself, I was referring to Rodoillo approaching an Edo man himself to ask for the etymology of 'oyibo' in Edo language rather than a Yoruba man (you) who knows absolutely nothing about the Edo language. It is just the same way, someone would approach a Hausa man for issues about Igbo when he could have easily approached an Igbo person instead. Now, there are exceptions to this: some Igbo aren't fully knowledgeable in Igbo history, so are some Yoruba and Hausa.

doesn't remotely justify this
What else do you expect from him to
answer you other than self-gratifying
answers twisted in some way to some
yoruba origin?

As I would keep saying, I find enough pride in my ancestry and ethnicity that even if I was born In Koma village I would still be proud of My naked grandfather...that's me, so while Negros out there claim Europe, Berbers, Native Americans, Israel as their legacy

I look to Yoruba...nobody can take that away from me if I safe guard it so I don't need to claim what isn't Yoruba especially when it obviously is not
So ur slander against me, that I want to claim Ajami, I want to claim Edo, soon I want to claim China
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 1:49am On Mar 18, 2015
macof:

U call that evidence? smh

Where did u put the pidgin?

Answer this pls
What language is this? This love na wantintin

Pidgin or Yoruba

oh don't bother, I know u lack the virtue of honesty

grin You claimed before that Yorubas don't use Igbo words at all. Proof of Davido using 'biko' and Oyikasola using 'nwa nti nti' was thrown at you and you turn around to claim it is 'pidgin' english. grin

Oh, you're quick to remember it is pidgin but would want to have us believe Igbos borrowed 'oya', 'nko' when they only use it in Pidgin as well. What wanton hypocrisy. grin

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 1:52am On Mar 18, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Are all Bini Obas buried in Ife? NO! That particular Oba might have opted to be buried in Ife, maybe due to some extra relations he might have with the Ife people. Anybody can be buried anywhere. Quoting 1 link doesn't prove anything.

smh. There twist as u like. even the prince is a demon and Yoruba agent by claiming Ife as the final resting place of former Benin monarchs...nt monarch

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos) / Yusuf Bayero, Dan’iya Of Kano Is Dead / Falowo Moyinoluwa Installed As A Regent In Ibulesoro Kingdom, Ondo (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.