Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (54253 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Etymology Of Yoruba Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 9:05pm On Mar 19, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ makazona - do not trouble yourself about Yoruba vaunting attitude. In reality it is empty and dry. I love this fellow called macof because he's more open in letting you know he's a tribalist. He's not hiding the fact that many Yorubas are known for rudeness, uncouth social attitude and freely dispensing swear words.

Those you should be afraid are the ones who openly laugh with you, plan projects with you... then... BETRAY you!!! You may not understand this, but let me tell you those traits are the main PROPELLER Yorubas often denigrate other tribes. Those traits are responsible why they chose to insult Edo culture...
You have perfect hatred for your obsession. Ipa ti e np'Ose, ara lofi nsan: you kept revealing every horrible imaginations that is in abundance in you to villify Yoruba. Thrust to the deep for more on Yoruba, you can never arouse sympathy for your cause without pulling Yoruba down, create a thread & get out of here, hopeless loser grin

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by dumga(m): 4:35am On Mar 20, 2015
OYIBO is pure igbo word meaning FOREIGN, it is actually a phrase in igbo language hence we use it in this context OBODO OYIBO=FOREIGN land,NWA OYIBO=FOREIGN CHILD,ASA OYIBO=FOREIGN BEAUTY.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 7:34am On Mar 20, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
You have perfect hatred for your obsession. Ipa ti e np'Ose, ara lofi nsan: you kept revealing every horrible imaginations that is in abundance in you to villify Yoruba. Thrust to the deep for more on Yoruba, you can never arouse sympathy for your cause without pulling Yoruba down, create a thread & get out of here, hopeless loser grin

@ absoluteSuccess - as usual with you Yoruba, you did not say anything tangible, you did not make any effort to deny any of the points I raised in all my posts. Now you bold a phrase and replied with INSULTS.

Well let me tell you that I grew up to see Yorubas using abusive languages, uncouth words and swearing on a daily basis. And it continue up till today. In fact, over 97% of you are brought up this way, so like your fellow Yorubas on this thread, you have not disappointed at all. Is difficult to enter any argument that demand TRUTHS and facts with Yorubas without receiving insults or being abused.

Anyway you guys have been claiming Itsekiris are Yoruba. And any attempt to tell you the truth meets brick wall. Please kindly read this scholarly work by a high ranking Itsekiri scholar: http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topic/show?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A130191&xgs=1&xg_source=msg_share_topic

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 7:38am On Mar 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thanks. I'll go through these links that you provided me!

@ bigfrancis21

Also read this SCHOLARLY work on the origin of the Itsekiris.

It was written by a high ranking Itsekiri scholar: http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topic/show?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A130191&xgs=1&xg_source=msg_share_topic

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by PeterKbaba: 4:22pm On Mar 20, 2015
Just like the work TOKUNBO [/b]cars that everyone uses in Nigeria, is from the Yoruba's --------- Ti Okun Bo Cars
Ti Okun Bo = Came from overseas

[b]You all stop confusing yourselves.
First of all. Oyinbo is a Yoruba word for white man.

Oyin = Honey from a Bee = Brownish color of honey (African skin)

Bo = Peeled = bleached Skin.

Just like when Yorubas say that girl (Bo Ara = Bo-Ra = bleached her skin )

If Oyin = Brownish color of honey
If Bo = Peeled.

Therefore;
Oyin-Bo = Oyinbo means a Brown Man/Woman who's skin was peeled.

Oyinbo a White Man.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 6:24pm On Mar 20, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ absoluteSuccess - as usual with you Yoruba, you did not say anything tangible, you did not make any effort to deny any of the points I raised in all my posts. Now you bold a phrase and replied with INSULTS.

Well let me tell you that I grew up to see Yorubas using abusive languages, uncouth words and swearing on a daily basis. And it continue up till today. In fact, over 97% of you are brought up this way, so like your fellow Yorubas on this thread, you have not disappointed at all. Is difficult to enter any argument that demand TRUTHS and facts with Yorubas without receiving insults or being abused.

Anyway you guys have been claiming Itsekiris are Yoruba. And any attempt to tell you the truth meets brick wall. Please kindly read this scholarly work by a high ranking Itsekiri scholar: http://ihuanedo.ning.com/group/healtheducation/forum/topic/show?id=2971192%3ATopic%3A130191&xgs=1&xg_source=msg_share_topic
I dont have to.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 7:07pm On Mar 20, 2015
PeterKbaba:
Just like the work TOKUNBO [/b]cars that everyone uses in Nigeria, is from the Yoruba's --------- Ti Okun Bo Cars

If Bo = Peeled.

Therefore;

Oyinbo a White Man.

Tokunbo is a Yoruba word. Nobody is arguing that with you. However, Oyibo is not. Just as nwantinti, okro, ogbono (all used by Yorubas) etc aren't Yoruba.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 7:10pm On Mar 20, 2015
PeterKbaba:

If Bo = Peeled.

Therefore;

Oyinbo a White Man.

It is still funny when you run around in circles trying so desperately hard to ascribe a 'honey + peel' meaning to 'oyibo' when the honey in question is brown in colour and not white. Had the honey itself been white in colour such that the meaning can be thought of as 'peeled like white honey', then it is more understandable.

With no academic proof whatsoever, you are simply running around in empty circles chasing empty shadows.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 7:57pm On Mar 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:

It is still funny when you run around in circles trying so desperately hard to ascribe a 'honey + peel' meaning to 'oyibo' when the honey in question is brown in colour and not white. Had the honey itself been white in colour such that the meaning can be thought of as 'peeled like white honey', then it is more understandable.

With no academic proof whatsoever, you are simply running around in empty circles chasing empty shadows.
Wait a little while, Isaac Newton will ride upon Einstein or Espinoza to confirm the word as 'E-Igbo': who can be more academic than these? Wait for them, though the promise may tarry, but it will surely come to pass, in black Jesus' name, ameem...only a scholar without guiding 'code of ethics in pursuant of empirical knowledge' fight forever to uphold vain idea when other thinkers leaves. Now your conclussion is right: what next?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 10:08pm On Mar 20, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I dont have to.

Hey absoluteSuccess - you "don't have to" what?

Do you mean you hate to get yourself busy with deeper scholarly works that enlighten and educate us about our collective ancestors?

I don't want to believe that you hate to mingle with truths and facts but love to peddle your tribal self-conceited historical claims?

Now which is better? Fuelling hearsay, lies and dwelling in same? Or gathering real historical TRUTHS and putting them together?

Would you continue to live in various Yoruba "we are better than others" fables just to appear 'superior' than other tribes and ethnics in Nigeria?

For example, how would you feel next time you hear or read about a ranking Yoruba fellow claiming 'Itsekiri are Yorubas' ? Will you also gloat over such bareface lies and travesty of our history? Or you will stand on the path of truths and call your fellow tribemen to order?

If you choose the latter, then you must read wider and dig deeper. You must leave your comfort zone of "this is our own belief in Yorubaland" - and investigate every issues and claims.

Start with that solid piece I shared with you...

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 11:11pm On Mar 20, 2015
Go to bigfrancis, he is willing to learn. I am not interested. Abi na by force? I can see the fruit of your scholarship already and I dont want to read stuffs that shape your thought system. We are not from the same culture, what is our virtue is your vice, so hold to your glory. But if you are dying to have a disciple, take saint bigfrancis: you both think alike. Please stop spamming me. Your pain did not come from me, so please, free me abeg.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by PeterKbaba: 12:28am On Mar 21, 2015
NigerMan1:

For example, how would you feel next time you hear or read about a ranking Yoruba fellow claiming 'Itsekiri are Yorubas' ? Will you also gloat over such bareface lies and travesty of our history? Or you will stand on the path of truths and call your fellow tribemen to order?

Point of correction, if you watched the channels news today, the Yoruba Oba's had a meeting in Ibadan today and the Isekiri/Warri (thats how the leaders presented themselves) leaders were all there, guess what the had to say concerning the issues of the National Confab... They will follow and accept anything the Yoruba's their brothers accept and agree upon. end of story

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 7:06am On Mar 21, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
Go to bigfrancis, he is willing to learn. I am not interested. Abi na by force? I can see the fruit of your scholarship already and I dont want to read stuffs that shape your thought system. We are not from the same culture, what is our virtue is your vice, so hold to your glory. But if you are dying to have a disciple, take saint bigfrancis: you both think alike. Please stop spamming me. Your pain did not come from me, so please, free me abeg.

@ absoluteSuccess - You entered into this discussion, and now being EVASIVE to go further when challenged? Look turning vital issues into a 'gutter fight' is not the solution.

Am really surprised that you Yorubas that always 'draw the first blood' on tribal issues, making derogatory remarks about others, often chicken out when confronted with facts and figures.

At best you guys resort to what you did in your 2 replies to me: Abuse, Insult and more abuse!

Let et me advice you Yorubas: Whatever tribal discourse you cannot finish; don't start it.
Bye bye smiley

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 7:30am On Mar 21, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ absoluteSuccess - You entered into this discussion, and now being EVASIVE to go further when challenged? Look turning vital issues into a 'gutter fight' is not the solution.

Am really surprised that you Yorubas that always 'draw the first blood' on tribal issues, making derogatory remarks about others, often chicken out when confronted with facts and figures.

At best you guys resort to what you did in your 2 replies to me: Abuse, Insult and more abuse!

Let et me advice you Yorubas: Whatever tribal discourse you cannot finish; don't start it.
Bye bye smiley
Z
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 7:41am On Mar 21, 2015
PeterKbaba:

Point of correction, if you watched the channels news today, the Yoruba Oba's had a meeting in Ibadan today and the Isekiri/Warri (thats how the leaders presented themselves) leaders were all there, guess what the had to say concerning the issues of the National Confab... They will follow and accept anything the Yoruba's their brothers accept and agree upon. end of story

@ PeterKbaba - that do not INVALIDATE the history of the Itsekiris and their monarchy which was 100% established by Benin Oba and named it Ogiame.

The people that made up Itsekiris were Ijebus, Igalas and several sub tribes, who were SETTLERS in old Warri and under the Old Benin Kingdom.

That is the true picture that cannot be denied because it was recorded and established. Every educated Itsekiri person knows this very well.

MODERN NIGERIA ISSUES

The world has moved on from the past; people now realigned for personal and corporate protection and benefits.

That some Itsekiri leaders aligning with modern day Yorubas does NOT make them Yoruba, nor cancel their origin and history.

Moreover remember this is just a political alignment in today's Nigeria where justice and truth is hated, so they can align with any bigger group to earn their stake in today's Nigeria filled with savagery.

YORUBA Alignment With Hausa / Fulanis

I remember vividly how the Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi used to align with Hausa/Fulani in the 60s down to the 80s for political gains.

Does that make them NOT Yorubas again? Does that make them Hausas, Fulanis or Kanuris? Does that cancel their origin and history?

Up till today many Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi still see themselves as 'Northerner' in national political and economic circle - but admit their Yoruba ancestry.

CALL A SPADE A SPADE

So there is a VAST difference between historical origin, settlement and culture / language development and 21st Century politics.

The difference between the larger Hausa / Fulanis and you Yoruba is glaring...

The first group do not try to usurp the history and cultural origin of the Yorubas who aligned (and still aligning) with them. But you the Yorubas in South West are insinuating Itsekiri are Yorubas because they're aligning with you?

This is where you guys are missing it due to inherent feelings for 'superiority' and misplaced pride.

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 7:47am On Mar 21, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ PeterKbaba - that do not INVALIDATE the history of the Itsekiris and their monarchy which was 100% established by Benin Oba and named it Ogiame.

The people that made up Itsekiris were Ijebus, Igalas and several sub tribes, who were SETTLERS in old Warri and under the Old Benin Kingdom.

That is the true picture that cannot be denied because it was recorded and established. Every educated Itsekiri person knows this very well.

MODERN NIGERIA ISSUES

The world has moved on from the past; people now realigned for personal and corporate protection and benefits.

That some Itsekiri leaders aligning with modern day Yorubas does NOT make them Yoruba, nor cancel their origin and history.

Moreover remember this is just a political alignment in today's Nigeria where justice and truth is hated, so they can align with any bigger group to earn their stake in today's Nigeria filled with savagery.

I remember vividly how the Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi used to align with Hausa/Fulani in the 60s down to the 80s for political gains.

Does that make them NOT Yorubas again? Does that make them Hausas, Fulanis or Kanuris? Does that cancel their origin and history?

Up till today many Yorubas in Kwara and Kogi still see themselves as 'Northerner' in national political and economic circle - but admit their Yoruba ancestry.

CALL A SPADE A SPADE

So there is a VAST difference between historical origin, settlement and culture / language development and 21st Century politics.

The first group do not try to usurp the history and cultural origin of the Yorubas who aligned (and still aligning) with them. But you the Yorubas in South West are insinuating Itsekiri are Yorubas because they're aligning with you?

This is where you guys are missing it due to inherent feelings for 'superiority' and misplaced pride.

I bet you, you are not going to get any reasonable response or rebuttal to this post! Intellectual reasoning devoid of profanity eludes so many. grin

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 9:23am On Mar 21, 2015
The crust of your combined quest is to vanquish your perceived 'Yoruba superiority' over your people. So, it will be a lifetime engagement and since this is the case, you are the ones that are to be saddled with 'burden of proof' and not your superior, whose realities you cannot alter. Yoruba is the issue, you will keep fighting the issue.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 5:45pm On Mar 21, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I bet you, you are not going to get any reasonable response or rebuttal to this post! Intellectual reasoning devoid of profanity eludes so many. grin

@ bigfrancis21 - yes you are right and I know this when I joined the discussion. Yorubas are mainly "at home" when profane languages are freely used. Or engaged in 'corner theory' whenever topics of our collective history is placed on the table.

Just look up at the latest entrant to the discussion called absoluteSuccess - he practically EVADED the issues; but writing negative and platitudes. smiley

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 8:21pm On Mar 21, 2015
NigerMan1:

Hey absoluteSuccess - you "don't have to" what?
Do you mean you hate to get yourself busy with deeper scholarly works that enlighten and educate us about our collective ancestors?
I don't want to believe that you hate to mingle with truths and facts but love to peddle your tribal self-conceited historical claims?
Now which is better? Fuelling hearsay, lies and dwelling in same? Or gathering real historical TRUTHS and putting them together?
Would you continue to live in various Yoruba "we are better than others" fables just to appear 'superior' than other tribes and ethnics in Nigeria?
If you choose the latter, then you must read wider and dig deeper. You must leave your comfort zone of "this is our own belief in Yorubaland" - and investigate every issues and claims.
Start with that solid piece I shared with you...

I wonder why you have to die for my disregard for your supreme knowledge. What makes you think I am in need of this coaching of yours na? Cos you think I can't think if you don't tell me how to think or something? God, what a fellow.

NigerMan1:

@ macof - Edos and Yorubas are NOT brothers. We share no blood relation at all. However if you have evidence to the contrary please say it now so I can evaluate it.

However as members of the black race, we are brothers. Just as we are brothers to Igbo, Ijaw, Ghanaian, Fulani, Tiv etc

Again you wrote: " Nigerman1 doesn't even know his Edo history, pls am I to take an edo man who doesn't know Oranmiyan seriously?"

I know Oranyan story very well my dear macof. According to Yoruba folklore and tales, Oranyan founded or he/his son was first king of Benin. Is this not what you mean?

Bro you don't have to establish this fable, because its already in public domain in Yorubaland. And as a Yoruba person I don't expect you to believe otherwise because you'd been fed from the cradle with this fable.

But I plead with you to accept the real truth, though it may hurt: ORANYAN (and Oduduwa) were NOT human beings, but demon gods of the Yoruba in ancient times.

Those stories are called MYTHOLOGIES in advanced human ancient histories.

NOTE: Do you know they still worship Oduduwa with human lives up till today?

my brother, you speak from all corner of the mouth for your theories. You have told macof point blank that we are not related, why are you trying to make me see you as brother having collective ancestor with you? Again, I wonder why your only audience has been bigfrancis? Is he your inspiration, or you both enjoy the same way of taking Yoruba down in all your body, soul and spirit at every thread you do?

Please and please, you claim Oduduwa is a 'demon god' of the Yoruba in ancient time, you are right my brother, but that demon god is my ancestor, can you see? Are you a descendant of demon god like me? I don't think so. Can you claim to know the demon god than me? Your answer to that question will reveal the depth of your intellect.

You have clear understanding of the Yoruba history from the most ancient time, if I answer you or argue with you, you will keep fighting to prove your brand of 'Yoruba history', meanwhile you do not want Yoruba version of your Edo history. and being this versed, why must I engage you in a discourse? You don't call your ideas profane, but answering you in kind is profane.

I believe everything you say about the Yoruba are true, so I don't have to engage you, cause you have what is most valuable to learn from, Yoruba history. And since you know Yoruba has been fed with fable from cradle, why worry yourself? You are self contradictory, as such, your believes are questionable because they are going through change.

keep to your grandiose allusions.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 8:43pm On Mar 21, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ bigfrancis21 - yes you are right and I know this when I joined the discussion. Yorubas are mainly "at home" when profane languages are freely used. Or engaged in 'corner theory' whenever topics of our collective history is placed on the table.
Just look up at the latest entrant to the discussion called absoluteSuccess - he practically EVADED the issues; but writing negative and platitudes. smiley

friend, you never use profane language in any of your post, you use immaculate words. You are a product of the most advance culture in the world. Your theories are absolute, unlike 'corner theory' that Yorubas are found of propagating. It is as valid as E=mc2.

After you have reported me to your compatriot, you can still sue me for not getting involve with you. The Yoruba is an issue of constant sorrow to the two of you, it unite you both in resistance, I do not want to get involve with you because I don't have the same kind of hatred you harbour for others.

Or better still, if it is 'love' that you call it, I don't have the same kind of 'love' you have for Yoruba for your people, so I wont be all over the net looking for how to humble the Igbo or the Edo, but since this is needed for you guys to feel 'something', I can't reprimand you. It is part of your concept of "fulfillment in life".

Abraham Maslov call it self actualization.

As my name imply, I wish you success in this your special endeavor. You don't need luck, you have enough data at your disposal, but you need where there is argument to spew them, but I don't want you to do that here, I want you to create your own thread to put up your grievances, don't hide under someone else's thread.

Ciao.
sad
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 9:37pm On Mar 21, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

friend, you never use profane language in any of your post, you use immaculate words. You are a product of the most advance culture in the world. Your theories are absolute, unlike 'corner theory' that Yorubas are found of propagating. It is as valid as E=mc2.

After you have report me to your compatriot, you can still sue me for not getting involve with you. The Yoruba is an issue of constant sorrow to the two of you, it unite you both in resistance, I do not want to get involve with you because I don't have the same kind of hatred you harbour for others.

Or better still, if it is 'love' that you call it, I don't have the same kind of 'love' you have for Yoruba for your people, so I wont be all over the net looking for how to humble the Igbo or the Edo, but since this is needed for you guys to feel 'something', I can't reprimand you. It is part of your concept of "fulfillment in life".

As my name imply, I wish you success in this your special endeavor.

Ciao. sad

@ absoluteSuccess - I must admit you are trying to sound neutral and decent, but BIAS at the same time.

You'd been more concerned about my posts to disprove them by highlighting what you consider rude or wrong.

But here are some facts for you...

>> You seems not to realize I did not start this whole discourse, but your own tribesmen did. Remember this thread was originally about "etymology of word Oyinbo"? Unfortunately some Yorubas brought Edo/Benin into the fray. And as usual, the comments were derogatory and belittling.

And attempts to correct them or state my own history were replied with insults.

>> You seems to forget (or pretend not to know) your people generally ( I mean most) are fond of disrespecting the Edos when it comes to his culture.

>> You seems to forgot most Yorubas (even stark illiterates) will openly declare to an Edo fellow "Edos are Yorubas".

AbsoluteSuccess - please tell me honestly, is this attitude fair? Can you tell me you are not aware of this general attitude among your own people, to Edos? How do I know this? Just replied back to the fellow in reverse that "Yorubas are Edo" and you get an immediate rejection, while frowning his face in total disapproval.

You seems to forget that even on Nairaland, sometime when tribal or cultural discourse is on, somehow Yorubas will find a way to input Edo into the fray, albeit negatively. Go to popular newspapers online such as Vanguard, Punch etc and you will be aghast about this trend. We Edos hardly respond and on few occasion that we do, we often get massive insults.

There is almost no Edo person living in Yorubaland, who'd not been told this same thing to his face by Yorubas at one time the other. absoluteSuccess - are you aware of this attitude or not? And if you say you haven't told an Edo person such, what has been your efforts to correct or educate your fellow Yorubas that such statement especially in a public fora is nothing but DEROGATORY. That it's akin to describing someone as BASTARDS?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 10:10pm On Mar 21, 2015
I am bias, such is the way of demons.
Thank you for all you have shared so far.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bokohalal(m): 7:39am On Mar 22, 2015
With the advent of trade with early Europeans to the Guinea coast, the people of the Niger delta , with the Benin Empire as the main focus , acquired manufactured goods, plants and animals that were hitherto unknown to the natives. These items were identified by the natives as of European origin
Edin-EBO - Pineapple
Umwen-EBO- Sugar
Ivin- EBO- Coconut (now just known as IVIN. Formerly called KOKODIA)
Esi- EBO - PIG ( Now commonly called ELEDE. From Yoruba)
AYON - EBO- Liquor

Note that they were named after what the indigenous people felt was most similar to the imported goods in their environment.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 1:07pm On Mar 22, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
I am bias, such is the way of demons.
Thank you for all you have shared so far.

@ absoluteSuccess - you are welcome.

And am glad you are closing discourse yourself, tough you tacitly AVOIDED my salient questions and issues raised about your Yoruba general attitude to Edo culture.

Finally talking abot Oduduwa as a 'demon god' go read my posts very well again. I expressed the fact that up till today in some part of Yorubaland, oduduwa is still being worshiped with human blood and parts.

This may sound insulting to you - but it remained unassailable FACT!
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 1:08pm On Mar 22, 2015
bokohalal:
With the advent of trade with early Europeans to the Guinea coast, the people of the Niger delta , with the Benin Empire as the main focus , acquired manufactured goods, plants and animals that were hitherto unknown to the natives. These items were identified by the natives as of European origin
Edin-EBO - Pineapple
Umwen-EBO- Sugar
AYON - EBO- Liquor

Note that they were named after what the indigenous people felt was most similar to the imported goods in their environment.

They will soon tell you are lying. They will break the words in syllable and claimed they have their origin Yoruba.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 6:12pm On Mar 22, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ absoluteSuccess - you are welcome.
And am glad you are closing discourse yourself, tough you tacitly AVOIDED my salient questions and issues raised about your Yoruba general attitude to Edo culture.
Finally talking abot Oduduwa as a 'demon god' go read my posts very well again. I expressed the fact that up till today in some part of Yorubaland, oduduwa is still being worshiped with human blood and parts.
This may sound insulting to you - but it remained unassailable FACT!

I believe madam Idia is a saint, and her worshippers are choosen. Whatever you like about Oduduwa, say it and keep saying it wherever you go.
bokohalal:
Edin-EBO - Pineapple
Umwen-EBO- Sugar
AYON - EBO- Liquor

Do you read to comprehend or to twist and fight? Not all Edo is involve in your crusade.

NigerMan1:

They will soon tell you are lying. They will break the words in syllable and claimed they have their origin Yoruba.

you are trying to corner the fair-minded guy into your complex agony? Your sentence above shows that you are perturbed typing the post, so put up a facade of lies to cover your envy. Your compatriot will somersault in such instance.

Breaking words into syllable is not 'corner theory', it is a function of semiotics. If you are incapable of this with your language, blame your 'linguistic IQ' or your language, don't blame others whose language permit such flexibility.

Don't be an enemy of what you see in others but you don't have.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 12:52pm On Mar 23, 2015
absoluteSuccess:

I believe madam Idia is a saint, and her worshippers are choosen. Whatever you like about Oduduwa, say it and keep saying it wherever you go.

Do you read to comprehend or to twist and fight? Not all Edo is involve in your crusade.

you are trying to corner the fair-minded guy into your complex agony? Your sentence above shows that you are perturbed typing the post, so put up a facade of lies to cover your envy. Your compatriot will somersault in such instance.

Breaking words into syllable is not 'corner theory', it is a function of semiotics. If you are incapable of this with your language, blame your 'linguistic IQ' or your language, don't blame others whose language permit such flexibility.

Don't be an enemy of what you see in others but you don't have.

@absoluteSuccess - you'd succeeded in turning the topics/issues into a brickbats which an average Yoruba man is extremely capable of. You'd not only shown a high pedigree of AVOIDING the main points of the discourse, but engaged in PLATITUDES.

For example, you talked about madam Idia being a saint or not? I think you're veiling referring to my statement that people still worship Oduduwa with human sacrifice in the modern days? If yes, how did that disprove my assertions? Yes in the olden days, human sacrifices was an integral part of Benin culture as was with all black African cultural practices.

However the good news that heinous practice was ENDED in Edo long ago. All modern traditional rulers, at both ascension and burial are no more buried with human beings. No deity in Edo is worshiped with human blood in the this age.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said with you Yorubas. Many of your traditional rulers, are sitting upon Human beings (pregnant women, young virgins etc). Many of your deities still demand human blood and parts for sacrifice. ODUDUWA is number one.

AbsoluteSuccess - is this true or not?

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by absoluteSuccess: 12:39pm On Mar 25, 2015
I think you are in desperation to get a Yoruba vote to validate your claims. You are part and parcel of Yoruba kingmakers, you saw everything that goes on in the palace, with pregnant women being sacrificed. You were there each time Oduduwa request for blood. Why ask me to confirm your story? Were you not a testifier of the heinous crime of the Yoruba? I think you are a monomaniac. You have right to insult others, but no one must insult you or your culture. I don't need to insult an insult. Think whatever you can, I promise to make you puke the more. Your imagination is at its best here, memory full for the evil of others but for its own good.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 7:23pm On Mar 25, 2015
makazona:

No i get it.everybody is wrong and u are right.isnt it?
Other person's points are craps while urs are wisdom from heaven?

i know ur type bro.my advice: Learn to take aside bias while discussing with people.talk with open mind and decent language.admit when u are wrong.

go ahead with tribalism.lets see where it takes u

So this thread is still alive with all the derailing and nuisance

you can confirm anything I've stated from other sources..preferably from Bini elders if Oranmiyan fathered The first Oba of Bini or not. and come back to tell me about your findings so we both can learn and develop in Knowledge...
Other than that you can think whatever u like
But surely I am nt bias if anything u are for calling me disrespectful for giving a deserving reply to Nigerman
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 3:46am On May 17, 2015
NigerMan1:

MODERN NIGERIA ISSUES

CALL A SPADE A SPADE

Wow, all these arguments are so unnecessary.

@nigerman i get ur anger cos i as a yoruba person wld also feel angry if i felt my ancestry was being denigrated or made of no significance.

What we all know for sure is dt when d foreigners came to d shores of Nigeria, there was an oyo empire & a benin empire. The foreigners were able to document this portion of history. We have documents of the king they met in isale eko & the successors, the pple they met there, the oyo kingdom &its chiefs & madam tinubu whose specialty was trading slaves, they wrote abt d struggles wt d benin kingdom. But this period of history is all these arguments here are based on.(What we shld all be proud abt though is dt d benin kingdom tried so hard to fight against d british unlike d oyo & calabars dt freely raided towns for slaves in exchange for wealth).

Every argument in this thread are abt things dt happened in d 18th & 19th centuries which d white man helped us to record. What about before dt? There wasnt always a benin kingdom & there wasnt always an oyo kingdom. In fact, d white man wondered abt why d yorubas worshipped ife & not oyo. because to them d ife they met was an insignificant village but they did do some excavations & fd out it must have bn a very active & powerful kingdom in d past. That was where they found the ife bronze casting of a king dated at around the 12th century. It is still in d british museum.

The fact is geography tells us a lot abt a people & their migratory patterns. Also d similarity in language also tells a story. We cant deny these facts. It becomes more glaring when u realize they are clustered closely together. The complete difference in d languages could tell us the similarities ended centuries & centuries ago, not even decades.

Everyone has an oral history. The british have d vikings, celtics & co. Everyone embellishes their history somewhat (if u tell a story now & pass it to 10 diff people, what u will hear from d last person will probably be different but there will still be a slight element of truth.
Dt is d reason i cant take the oduduwa story as fact, ecspecially wt d mythology included in it,, but i cant discount all of it as fake either cos its come down generations. There is definitely an element of truth (despite d spiritual undertones). And dt is why i cant discount ur history of the benin kingdom either, theres certainly an element of truth (yes d benin also have an oral history of how they came to be). If truly there was an overlap in the history of these two peoples, d truth lies somewhere in both stories.

I do believe there is an overlap though cos too many things point to dt fact making it a very high probability. Another one being dt both cultures regard their obas almost as deity. No other cultures in Nigeria does dt.

I think d main argument u are making though nigerman is one of superiority. You are stating dt anytime a yoruba man says d oba of benin is a son of oduduwa & therefore d benis are our brothers, they are being derogatory to d benis & trying to be superior. I must say i never saw it dt way. Trust me when i sa a lot of yorubas will be hearing dt analysis for d first time. I know i am. I think dt sttmnt is usually said wt affection & not to put u guys down or say ur irrelevant.
I get ur point though cos u feel we are saying u dont have ur own separate identity apart from d yorubas. Ihonestly dont know d solution to dt problem. Because both oral histories cannot be changed. What i do know is dt it is pointless for all of us to be arguing over what we will never ever truly know. There are things in d british oral histories they also can never know cos it happened ages & ages back .eg. stonehenge.

Just live & let live. All we have is Nigeria as is today. Arguments are pointless (please same advice to @macof). Although wt all these passions i think hillary clintons assessment of Nigeria might soon come to pass.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by tpiander: 5:04pm On Aug 31, 2015
I'm sure the word Oyinbo is of foreign origin, possibly Europe.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Probz(m): 9:16pm On Jun 03, 2017
Adeyinka12:
Eeeeeeh shi oo, no be igbo's
later they will claim they own the word's
oga
oya
agbada
gele
ejo
egbon
ogede
egusi
garii e.t.c
the worst part of it is when they borrow yoruba language with bad pronounciation like;
yoruba igbo
tolotolo torotoro
akuko okuko
imu imi e.t.c

Yoruba and Igbo were the same language originally and Igbo's older. Torotoro and okuko aren't borrowed.

Garri? Yoruba? You dey craze?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Chills With Oba Of Elegushi After Being Snubbed By Oba Of Lagos.PIC / New Photos Of Oluwo Of Iwo And His Queen / Chinese Man Rocking Yoruba Traditional Attire (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.