Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,915 members, 7,824,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Some Of The Most Misinterpreted Verses In The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Some Of The Most Misinterpreted Verses In The Bible (709 Views)

This Verses In The Bible Shows Jesus Was Not Crucified / 10 Bible Verses On Tithing / Top 10 Most Popular Verses In The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Of The Most Misinterpreted Verses In The Bible by xrisdon(m): 9:27am On Mar 12, 2015
In many occasions, we have come across people trying to justify their actions (sometimes evil) quoting bible verses out of context.

Here are some of the verses some people misinterpret often:

1, Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s."
Matthew 22:21 (NIV)

They quote this verse without knowing what it really means,
here is the full passage:

Matthew 22:
17, Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not?"

18, But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me?

21, "Caesar’s," they replied. Then he said to them, "So give back to Caesar what to them, and to God what is God’s.

Conclusion:
these verses didn't tell us to worship both God and Satan! as some thought.

It stated instead that we should obey those in power (caesar/ emperor) by obeying the law of the land ( paying taxes inclusive)

1 Like

Re: Some Of The Most Misinterpreted Verses In The Bible by xrisdon(m): 9:47am On Mar 12, 2015
2, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged"
Matthew 7:1 (NIV).

Some people misinterpret this verse to mean: people shouldn't say the truth when they see them,
especially where it involves "men of God"
or that people shouldn't condemn someone's action when he did something wrong.

Jesus Christ, while on earth always condemns evil when he sees one, and commends good when he sees one,
so therefor, this verse is not talking about that, instead it advices us to acknowledge God as our supreme judge! He alone have the final say on who is right and who is wrong.

here is the full message:

verse 2: For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the same measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Romans 14:

1 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters.

2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is anything weak, eats only vegetables.

3 The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them.

5 One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind.

john 7:24
"Stop judging by mere appearances, but instead judge correctly"
Re: Some Of The Most Misinterpreted Verses In The Bible by xrisdon(m): 4:08pm On Mar 20, 2015
3, "heaven helps those who help themselves"

this phrase is probably the most often quoted phrase that is not found in the Bible.

This saying is usually attributed to Ben Franklin, quoted in Poor Richard's Almanacin 1757.

Whatever the original source of this saying, the Bible teaches the opposite.

God helps the helpless! Isaiah 25:4 declares, "For You have been a defense for the helpless, a defense for the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat..."Romans 5:6 tells us,"For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly."

For some, they hide under this phrase that is not found in the bible to do evil and go against the word of God.
they will tell you "God is protecting me, I will protect myself as well"
Re: Some Of The Most Misinterpreted Verses In The Bible by xrisdon(m): 8:12am On Mar 22, 2015
All the above are my personal opinion and observation!
So, I stand to be corrected! Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Why Its Good To Live A Godly Life / Who Is This Jesus? / Photo: Suicide Bomber Has Attacked A Shia Mosque In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.