Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,852 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:21 PM

BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe (1305 Views)

“I Was Worried I Would Be Booed,” Jonathan Admits As He Returns Home / Mbaka Lied Over Frozen Accounts – EFCC / Morocco 'Recalls' Ambassador To Nigeria, Says Nigeria Lied (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by midolian(m): 6:04pm On Mar 13, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan admitted Friday that he did not speak on telephone with the King of Morocco, Mohammed VI, as claimed last week by the Nigerian foreign affairs ministry, an apparently false claim that sparked a diplomatic spat between the two countries with Morocco recalling its ambassador.

The president has ordered a full investigation into the scandal and has promised to sanction the foreign affairs official who made that claim, a statement from his office said.

Mr. Jonathan was “shocked, surprised and highly embarrassed by the controversy that has erupted over whether or not he had a telephone conversation with His Majesty, King Mohammed VI of Morocco,” the statement said.

Diplomatic relations between Nigeria and Morocco worsened Tuesday after the North African country recalled its ambassador from Abuja, following the telephone call row.

The controversy began after Morocco revealed last week that its leader rejected a request from Mr. Jonathan for a conversation.

The Moroccan Foreign Ministry said the request was a devious move by Mr. Jonathan to curry electoral favour than a genuine diplomatic move.

“The request by Nigerian authorities for a phone conversation between HM King Mohammed VI and Nigerian President was refused by the Monarch who deemed it inappropriate on grounds of the upcoming elections in Nigeria,” the statement read.

However, on Monday, the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued a statement refuting the claim of the Moroccans.

The Nigerian foreign ministry claimed that King Mohammed IV of Morocco spoke to President Jonathan from France where he had gone for a visit.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs also denied that the phone call was intended to confer electoral gains on Mr. Jonathan who faces a crucial electoral challenge from an invigorated opposition in two weeks.

“Since the King was in France and not in Morocco, both leaders spoke extensively over the telephone on matters of mutual interest and concern that have nothing to do with the conduct of re-scheduled elections in Nigeria.

“It is therefore preposterous to suggest that Mr President’s telephone call to the Moroccan monarch was intended to confer any electoral advantage on the President,” the statement read.

The North African nation responded furiously Tuesday, denying the claim by the Nigerian authorities, and recalling its ambassador.

The office of Mohammed VI denied the king ever spoke to the Nigerian president. It issued a statement describing Nigeria’s claim that a discussion took place between King Mohammed and President Jonathan as “unethical practices”.
The statement said it wished to state in the “clearest and strongest terms” that “there has never been a phone conversation” between the two leaders.

“The King’s Office categorically denies the false allegations made by Nigerian authorities about an alleged phone conversation between the Sovereign and Nigerian President,” the statement said.

A statement signed by Reuben Abati, the spokesperson for Mr. Jonathan, said the furore generated over the matter was due “entirely to misinformation as President Jonathan has neither spoken with King Mohammed nor told anybody that he had a telephone conversation with the Moroccan Monarch”.

“It is true that President Jonathan has been speaking with some African leaders to seek their support for Nigeria’s candidate for the position of President of the African Development Bank (AfDB).

“In continuation of his efforts in support of the candidacy of the Minister of Agriculture, Dr. Akinwunmi Adesina for headship of the AfDB, President Jonathan indicated that he would like to speak with the King of Morocco, the President of Algeria and the President of Egypt.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs was consequently directed to make necessary contacts with the embassies of the three countries and arrange for President Jonathan to speak with their leaders.

“Since that directive was given, President Jonathan has spoken with the Prime Minister of Algeria and subsequently sent Vice President Namadi Sambo to Algiers as Special Envoy to follow-up on his discussions with the Algerian Prime Minister on support for Nigeria’s candidate in the coming elections for the AfDB Presidency.

“The President has, however, not yet spoken with King Mohammed VI and President Al-Sisi of Egypt as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs must know.

The statement said President Jonathan has ordered the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Aminu Wali, to urgently undertake a full investigation of the claim which emanated from the Ministry that the President spoke with King Mohammed VI.

“The investigation is to identify all those who were responsible for the unacceptable act of official misinformation which has resulted in an unnecessary diplomatic row with another country and national embarrassment,” the statement said.

“It is also expected to unveil the motives of the culprits.

“President Jonathan has also ordered that prompt and commensurate disciplinary action be taken against the culpable person or persons.

President Jonathan also criticised the opposition All Progressives Congress, APC, which has since called for an investigation into the matter.

“While awaiting the outcome of the investigations, President Jonathan urges Nigerians to disregard the vituperations of opposition elements, who have, true to type, latched on to the regrettable faux pas as a fresh opportunity to unpatriotically denigrate the government of their country and advance their irresponsible quest for victory at any price in the coming elections,” the statement said.

Nigeria and Morocco have a history of frosty diplomatic relation due to the former’s support and recognition of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic declared by the separatist group, the Polisario Front.

The Polisario Front, which is backed by Morocco’s neighbour, Algeria, seeks an independence for the Western Sahara region of Morocco, a move the Monarch has violently resisted.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/178441-breaking-jonathan-admits-nigeria-lied-over-morocco-phone-row-orders-probe.html

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by SuperSuave(m): 6:09pm On Mar 13, 2015
Nawa for this confused man o

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by rusher14: 6:13pm On Mar 13, 2015
You spoke with Borat.
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by Collynzo419: 6:14pm On Mar 13, 2015
ok
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by KINGSNEEZE(m): 6:14pm On Mar 13, 2015
What's confusing u on what he just said or u have problem understanding English?
SuperSuave:
Nawa for this confused man o
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by midolian(m): 6:15pm On Mar 13, 2015
Just as xpected..he will always deny things like this BUT one thing is for sure "OTUEKE WILL NEVER DENY HIM".

This regime has brought upon us so much shame, both nationally and internationally..I must use this medium to reach out to the concerned Nigerians. We have no choice but to bear with this administration for a few more weeks. Don't give up on Nigeria. Only Nigerians can make Nigeria a better place..just make good use of ur PVC

11 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by makzeze: 6:15pm On Mar 13, 2015
GEJ the clueless man,

Otuoke is expecting you come May 29 2015.

7 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by hydroking23(m): 6:19pm On Mar 13, 2015
This is a very shameful and ridiculous situation for our Government. Partisanship aside, GEJ proves to us over and over again he is incapable of handling the affairs of this country. He clearly has no control over his government. Domestically Nigeria is in economic peril. Internationally Nigeria is a laughing stock and is being rubbished left and right. We must put this to an end.

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by ishiamu(m): 6:19pm On Mar 13, 2015
Still on still

Gej till 2019
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by egift(m): 6:20pm On Mar 13, 2015
Jonathan disgracing Nigeria since 2010. Very shameful.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by SuperSuave(m): 6:21pm On Mar 13, 2015
KINGSNEEZE:
What's confusing u on what he just said or u have problem understanding English?
I swear I no read the post...I dey come sha
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by theV0ice: 6:22pm On Mar 13, 2015
What will it cost these govt officials to be truthful for just once?

The rat race to curry favour from gej leads grown men to telling childish lies to appear as staunch supporters of the president. Now they've embarrassed the whole country in their pathetic attempt to appear very loyal to gej angry

What useless political capital were they hoping to get from a phone call between gej and the Moroccan king?

SMH for these baby diplomats in charge of mighty Nigeria's image angry

But come to think of it, is gej in control of his govt? if his aides and ministers are allowed to run riot without carrying him along?

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by psucc(m): 6:31pm On Mar 13, 2015
The good part to reaction is that he had ordered probe into the saga.

Remember politics?
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by henryangelo: 6:34pm On Mar 13, 2015
That's a sincere man, for your sincerity ever you have my vote

GEJ till 2019
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by dre11(m): 6:38pm On Mar 13, 2015
Hehehe

We shall do justice and vote him out so he can go to Otuoke and enjoy his retirement
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by dre11(m): 6:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
henryangelo:

GEJ till 2019

After he has lied and there is no where he could hide himself.......

He had to admit it and you call him a man of sincerity
I laughter in Igbo

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by midolian(m): 6:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
henryangelo:

GEJ till 2019
lool...see TANist o

Where is the sincerity here?

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by 9jvirgin(m): 6:42pm On Mar 13, 2015
Dear God! Jonathan must die!!

Dear God, we do not deserve Jonathan....

I am not a member of any political party, but Jonathan must die!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by GOATandYAMtheory: 6:48pm On Mar 13, 2015
9jvirgin:
Dear God! Jonathan must die!!

Dear God, we do not deserve Jonathan....

I am not a member of any political party, but Jonathan must die!!!
hahahahahahahaa

This 9jvirgin must be very wicked.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by henryangelo: 6:55pm On Mar 13, 2015
dre11:

After he has lied and there is no where he could hide himself.......

He had to admit it and you call him a man of sincerity
I laughter in Igbo
Why not go tell Buhari to finally accept that he has no certificate, tell him to accept he is sick,let him to accept he is too old to lead us to the promise land and we will award credit to him as am cheering GEJ now
He is a sincere man simple
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by dre11(m): 7:00pm On Mar 13, 2015
henryangelo:

Why not go tell Buhari to finally accept that he has no certificate, tell him to accept he is sick,let him to accept he is too old to lead us to the promise land and we will award credit to him as am cheering GEJ now

Am sure the certificate issue is in court. So, if you feel aggrieved you can make yours Number 13

About his health....... Believe Fayose at your perils
Because his forged medical report from ABUTH was faulted by the Chief medical director

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:00pm On Mar 13, 2015
henryangelo:

henryangelo:

TAAAH!

Like say make I spit orijin for ya face. With dis trash u just typed here, You ve jst proven to the world u don't know what sincerity means.

If GEJ be sincere man, then nobody wey no sincere again for ds world. #oro rirun

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by henryangelo: 7:07pm On Mar 13, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:

TAAAH!

Like say make I spit orijin for ya face. With dis trash u just typed here, You ve jst proven to the world u don't know what sincerity means.

If GEJ be sincere man, then nobody wey no sincere again for ds world. #oro rirun
Am very sure if you are in the presidents shoes even your family will reject you
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by MizMyColi(f): 7:08pm On Mar 13, 2015
Lies only breed more lies.
I don't glory in lies.
No sane human should.
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:12pm On Mar 13, 2015
henryangelo:

Am very sure if you are in the presidents shoes even your family will reject you

THaNK GOD YOU KNOW..BUT WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW IS, MY ADMINISTRATION IS dEFIN8LY GOING TO BE BETTER THAN THIS

#smelo

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by mandhi(m): 7:19pm On Mar 13, 2015
egift:
Jonathan disgracing Nigeria since 2010. Very shameful.
The absolute truth.
Let's leave sentiment aside.
GOD Bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by Volksfuhrer(m): 7:28pm On Mar 13, 2015
There are more than five Acting Presidents in GEJ's Government! Every minister is Acting President! It's as though the presidency has been outsourced!

We now have President of Education, President of Defence, President of External Affairs, President of Petroleum Resources, President of Immigration, and so on! These people are sovereigns unto themselves and so untouchable for they derive co-executive powers directly from The President. It is a novelty that has kept GEJ in power all these years!

The presidency is now free for all, a bedlam of Special Advisers who flex muscles over spheres of influence, with none apparently reporting to the C in C!

In simply English, GEJ is not in charge of his government! Every member of his cabinet now runs his or her office almost as a private enterprise. That is the only explanation for the confusion galore in GEJ's government!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by henryangelo: 7:29pm On Mar 13, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:

THaNK GOD YOU KNOW..BUT WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW IS, MY ADMINISTRATION IS dEFIN8LY GOING TO BE BETTER THAN THIS

#smelo
Well who dash monkey banana
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
henryangelo:

Well who dash monkey banana
I ld prefer the kinda life I live now to that of the failed president's.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by henryangelo: 7:52pm On Mar 13, 2015
GOATandYAMtheory:
I ld prefer the kinda life I live now to that of the failed president's.
It is laughable to hear that,everybody must not like the president but I bet you majority are by his side and you hating him can't change his visions and plans to lead us to the promise land
Why suggest you get drown in Atlantic ocean if your bitter heart can't be changed
Re: BREAKING: Jonathan Admits Nigeria Lied Over Morocco Phone Row; Orders Probe by GOATandYAMtheory: 7:59pm On Mar 13, 2015
henryangelo:

It is laughable to hear that,everybody must not like the president but I bet you majority are by his side and you hating him can't change his visions and plans to lead us to the promise land
Why suggest you get drown in Atlantic ocean if your bitter heart can't be changed
what is this one saying?

(1) (Reply)

lb / Exposed: Inec Chairman, Jega, Osinbajo In A Secret Meetin In Lagos / How Will You Be Celebrating Gej's Victory?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.