Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,413 members, 7,958,219 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:52 AM

Is It A Sin To Bet? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Bet? (17549 Views)

'I Know It's A Sin, Yet I Fall Into It Everytime' / Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ? / Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by nairabetguru(m): 8:09am On Mar 22, 2015
eleojo23:
Some things are not spelt out as sin in the Bible but from the effect those things have on your life spiritually or physically, you can know whether it would be pleasing to God or not.
It looks harmless and even enticing to go into betting (which is a form of gambling), but the problem is that you get addicted to it with time and it can take the place of God in your life because it will become your top priority.

Here is a case posted on this forum by someone last year. He says:
"My friend is very addicted to football betting. He spends most of his income on sports betting and he does not win. He is so addicted to it that he can spend his last penny on it. Many times he has confided in me that he will stop it but he still goes on to try it again and lose all his money. He is always broke and does not feed well. The sports betting is destroying his life. He wishes to stop and cut his losses. But he does not know how to overcome the urge. His family and loved ones don't know he is passing through it. How can I help him stop the sports betting because it's ruining his life."

From this story, you can ask yourself: Would God be pleased with this kind of life? Would He want you to waste your resources/money like that? Would it bring glory to His name? The answer to these questions is in the negative.

Therefore, as someone who wants to have a pleasing life before God, you should not go into it. Don't say 'I will do it just once" because that once will lead to another one until you are deep in it and your case will become like that of the man in the example above who I'm sure also started with the mind that he will do it just a few times.

Tell that ur friend to contact me
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by nairabetguru(m): 8:11am On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
I have been educated on the gains of venturing into the world of betting. I mean, the cash is cool for I saw a dude today that won 95k with a 100 naira ticket.
I don't want to displease God so please I need your advice. Is it a sin to bet?

There is a difference btw sports trading and gambling wink
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by lomprico(m): 8:12am On Mar 22, 2015
Missmossy:
I'd be as blunt as i can, anything associated with uncleanliness/iniquity is a sin so gambling is unarguably a sin. Stay away from it and be just in all your ways then God will crown your efforts with success smiley
Do u know that internet can be associated with uncleanliness/iniquity?

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by ribbit: 8:12am On Mar 22, 2015
is not a sin if you are wining grin
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by unmask: 8:15am On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:
Yes it's a sin. How do you think the person whose loss becomes your gain would feel?

As a Christian, should your gain come from someone's loss, sadness, regret and misfortune? When you gamble, you're actually praying for someone to lose money. (E good?)

Think about it.
Exodus 20 vs 17
"Do not desire another man's house; do not desire his wife, his slaves, his cattle, his donkeys, or anything else that he owns."
how is it someone's loss? that means even contract bidding is a sin, because some will win and others lose......same as jamb exam...because some will win the slot of some others......gambling is a choice thing, same as every other thing in the world
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by onyxo76(m): 8:17am On Mar 22, 2015
I just love this queston because i have often asked myself this same question several times.
From my own knowledge of gambling is when you try to make a huge amount from a small one eg
trying to win 150,000 from a stake of 50 naira- it can happen but in a very remote chance and you may
never come across that kind of winning ever again.

I look at it from an investment aspect- i fund my account with 2000 naira and i intend to have maybe 10,000 by months end.
I simply look for very good matches to stake every now and then after making good analysis- of course there is a risk involved
should in case my game loses. There was a day i needed to settle some pressing need and it was a weekend, so i chose 4 good matches
and made a stake of 200 naira and the stake clicked and i was able to meet that need.

I don't stake everyday -infact there are days i don't even need to visit nairabet for anything.If it now becomes a situation that you steal, sell
your properties to fund your betting then that to me is a sin. I don't allow it to disturb my spiritual life at all- i attend all my weekly sevices, pay my tithes, do my quiet time, etc.

But if the Holy Spirit has been warning you to quit, then its better to heed as obedience is better than sacrifice. The problem is when you allow sports
betting to dominate your life at the expense of other things.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by unmask: 8:18am On Mar 22, 2015
do you know that if tattoos on the body is a sin because u are defilinf your body......then everybody that has a piercing in this life have also sinned
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by gustav25: 8:19am On Mar 22, 2015
to some its a sin and to others its a business and to others its a means of squandering money and to others its a system of supplementing salaries........it depends where you fall......and for others that bet like fools,get greedy and alabi knocks of your heart.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Raypawer(m): 8:22am On Mar 22, 2015
GOD bless you
slap1:
Yes it's a sin. How do you think the person whose loss becomes your gain would feel?

As a Christian, should your gain come from someone's loss, sadness, regret and misfortune? When you gamble, you're actually praying for someone to lose money. (E good?)

Think about it.
Exodus 20 vs 17
"Do not desire another man's house; do not desire his wife, his slaves, his cattle, his donkeys, or anything else that he owns."
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Revolva(m): 8:22am On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
I have been educated on the gains of venturing into the world of betting. I mean, the cash is cool for I saw a dude today that won 95k with a 100 naira ticket.

With such type of over religious mind Oga I no think say u go fir be millionaire...ok wtf bettin is everywhere in the world.. ok let's assume u bet n win a mega cash and go to church for tithe or offerin will the pastore reject it....all ye religious muguns
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by imamimale(m): 8:24am On Mar 22, 2015
It is a sin Islamically
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by AlphaDibia(m): 8:35am On Mar 22, 2015
Alexpissu:

Getting addicted to NL is also a sin grin

What are you Implying you foolish man?
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by ISBLIAC(m): 8:41am On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:

Think about it.
Exodus 20 vs 17
The government loses money everytime you collect your salary...you're gaining and the government is losing.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by nairabetguru(m): 8:44am On Mar 22, 2015
Samirana360:
It's nt even acceptable in society...it is a sin bro

It is the norm in our society of today.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by asidere(m): 8:57am On Mar 22, 2015
gambling is not a sin but a means to an end.some deacons in my area have bet shops and take it as a business,cos they are into it you then call them sinners.only God has the right to judge what is right or wrong.Pls gamble responsibly,it's not a sin
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by xmich(m): 8:59am On Mar 22, 2015
Sweetguy25:
No it is not a sin. Gambling can be done responsibly and with limits. Its like taking alchohol. It is fine if you drink alchohol very responsibly but bad when you take it too much.
The same rule applies to gambling.
well said
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by lordthree(m): 9:00am On Mar 22, 2015
if gambling is a sin then is buying stocks a sin as well? is forex trading also a sin? i dont understand people sef, even crossing the road is a gamble you're not sure if You'll get hit.

if one bets responsibly, its as good as making an investment. its when people continue losing and dont stop or when they dont calculate. properly before betting that makes it bad.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Shubbylee(m): 9:08am On Mar 22, 2015
Samirana360:
It's nt even acceptable in society...it is a sin bro

Then investing in stocks is a sin!! putting money/capital into a biz venture to make more money is also a sin!!
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by micrep3030(m): 9:12am On Mar 22, 2015
Seriously is a sin
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by eleojo23: 9:14am On Mar 22, 2015
haibe:

Mr man gambling is a very broad term, sport betting is only an area of gambling. Gambling is addictive when you are getting the right benefit, this is not just a case of sport betting, it applies to investment too.

The focal point is that greed and deceit should not be involved in our gambling as they are bad. But saying gambling in itself is a sin is pure ignorance as everyone gambles

The OP specifically asked about betting and I answered him based on that.
Look at the topic again (not the one on the front page). The supermod made the topic broader by changing it to 'gambling'.

I agree that life involves gambles but the case here involves putting one's money on the line repeatedly.
If someone looses all his money in betting (like the man in the example I gave), I'm sure even his fellow men will be displeased with him.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by eleojo23: 9:18am On Mar 22, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
maybe the OP is satisfied I am not.Am not clear what you mean? Is gambling a sin or not? I will like a straigt forward answer,u said it leads to adiction wich is a sin, so if am addicted to eating chocolates does that mean that eating chocolates is wrong? Addiction is wrong and bad,but what makes you conclude that everybody that bets o gamble will be adictted,I believe that's a wrong generalization,its just like drinking and smoking,not every one is addicted to this things.If you say gambling is a sin , I ave no issues with it,but saying ones adiction to it makes it a sin is what I don concurr with,not everyboy is adicted to it.nice post though

Note that the OP specifically mentioned betting and I focused on his statement" I don't want to displease God''
That was why I used that example.

One can't categorically tag the word 'gambling' as sin.
We do a lot of gambling in life (making decisions and choosing lines of action)

Some things (such as betting) may not be outrightly bad but they can affect us negatively.

It is true that not everyone gets addicted to things but those who get addicted did not plan to get addicted when they started out and some addictions have more negative impact than others.

I consider it safe for him not to start (betting) because I've heard of more negative outcomes than positive ones.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Kagarko(m): 9:18am On Mar 22, 2015
onyeuka:
Not a sin

Islamically speaking it's a great sin. Allah forbids gambling and betting.

Allah SWT A'alam.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by adahgold(m): 9:19am On Mar 22, 2015
It is not a sin to me,I make alot of money from sport gambling,for example I bought my muscle from it,do u how much I make every week? I have helped many people from that money. See I did not steal anybody's money so how is it a sin let me tell you guys life is a gamble as a whole...
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by viczing(m): 9:21am On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:

Aw advice any1 not to venture into betting, am in it and I regretted ever starting and I find it hard 2e quit, it's a sin cos theirs a spirit behind it
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Toosure70: 9:28am On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:

Think about it.
Exodus 20 vs 17
and I saw ur name for America lottery o
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by 0micheal735: 9:38am On Mar 22, 2015
Its a sin cus dey Lord said in the 10th commandment thy shall not convert thy neighbours goods...
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Isiterere(m): 9:45am On Mar 22, 2015
getting more confused with different people's opinion here.

cc:Tbaba1234
Is it a sin for a Muslim to work for a betting company; as a customer care agent?

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by menxer: 9:46am On Mar 22, 2015
Hear them, if gambling is that bad a sin, we are all complicit in it.

I hope all of una were dey condemn gambling no dey celebrate when Nigeria or ur preferred league team wins a match/trophy ? contunu...

the only gambling that is sin is gambling with ur soul.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by babyfaceafrica: 9:49am On Mar 22, 2015
eleojo23:

Note that the OP specifically mentioned betting and I focused on his statement" I don't want to displease God''
That was why I used that example.

One can't categorically tag the word 'gambling' as sin.
We do a lot of gambling in life (making decisions and choosing lines of action)

Some things (such as betting) may not be outrightly bad but they can affect us negatively.

It is true that not everyone gets addicted to things but those who get addicted did not plan to get addicted when they started out and some addictions have more negative impact than others.

I consider it safe for him not to start (betting) because I've heard of more negative outcomes than positive ones.
Good explanation..I just wanted you to be clear
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by goodgood2(m): 9:55am On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:

Thaanks a lot. But you haven't answered my question.
Clearly, you don't have the Holy Spirit in you. Anyway, let me help you out: Thou shall not covet.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Bruno3000(m): 9:56am On Mar 22, 2015
waistaa:
What sort of gambling are you talking about because life decisions can be seen as gambling,you going to buy products to resell aint it gambling coz you wan to make more money to meet up with necessary things,my people say "ana eji ego achu ego" ( you use money to get money). My dear let's live our life the way we (by conscience) feel is good and stop invoking what doesn't concern us.thank you
impressive response... Love u for this.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by bxcode(m): 10:05am On Mar 22, 2015
On whose standard are you living your life? that should be the first question to ask on issues like this because people do many things in the world today and can defend it to the core, but if the life of Jesus is what you are imitating in your everyday life, then your guess is as good as mine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Story Of Melchizedek / Christmas Is A Celebration For Pagans – Daddy Freeze / Adeboye & Wife Folu, Sing For Oby Ezekwesili On Her 60th Birthday (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.