Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Is It A Sin To Bet? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It A Sin To Bet? (17169 Views)

'I Know It's A Sin, Yet I Fall Into It Everytime' / Opinion; Is It Not A Sin To Call The Day That Jesus Died "A Good Friday" ? / Is It A Sin To Style A Haircut? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by limamintruth: 2:06pm On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
I have been educated on the gains of venturing into the world of betting. I mean, the cash is cool for I saw a dude today that won 95k with a 100 naira ticket.
I don't want to displease God so please I need your advice. Is it a sin to bet?

Yea, WWJD readily comes to mind wink
However, i think gambling only becomes a sin when it is excessively & dubiously done.
Thus, moderation & sincerity is the key here. cool
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 22, 2015
Woged2005:
But every business is gambling including some church business (investing on ventures with some level of risk and uncertainties. Sometime you win, sometime you lose). Pastors open churches not knowing how many people will be converted and join the church (risk). People may join or may not join leaving a 50-50 chances (gambling) So who really has the right to call another a 'sinner'?

Sometime I feel that the way majority of Africans have hard time comprehending how a cellphone works, how Airplanes fly, and how a spacecraft is launched, same way they don't comprehend foreign religion. Therefore they simply use it 'cut & join', and out of over over-zealousness over-do things. If we Africans really grasp the concept of 'God is Love', there will be no outrageous level of poverty, corruption, wars, militancy, massacres and wickedness on the continent. Honestly, call me naive, I don't let an African preach to me.

Does a liar have the right to call a thief a 'sinner'?
Walahi you make sense. I'm guessing you must have been outside this continent.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Tattooboy: 2:09pm On Mar 22, 2015
waistaa:
What sort of gambling are you talking about because life decisions can be seen as gambling,you going to buy products to resell aint it gambling coz you wan to make more money to meet up with necessary things,my people say "ana eji ego achu ego" ( you use money to get money). My dear let's live our life the way we (by conscience) feel is good and stop invoking what doesn't concern us.thank you
best response
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by lomprico(m): 2:22pm On Mar 22, 2015
Samirana360:

D fact dat they ar many, does dat make right...all d prostitution terminal dat we hav in lagos, ar they part of d societal norm
They all operate legitimately, and they are licenced. We cant say that abt the prostitution terminals.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Samirana360(m): 2:26pm On Mar 22, 2015
lomprico:

They all operate legitimately, and they are licenced. We cant say that abt the prostitution terminals.
Ok u ar right anyway buh since most parents frown at dat, it's nt good... Most wives dnt lik seein their hubby @lotto center or betting
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by fromnigeria(m): 2:37pm On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
I have been educated on the gains of venturing into the world of betting. I mean, the cash is cool for I saw a dude today that won 95k with a 100 naira ticket.

Is like saying is Living a Sin?
Since life is a gamble.

pS: i dont mean the gambling done in hiding.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by lomprico(m): 2:53pm On Mar 22, 2015
Samirana360:

Ok u ar right anyway buh since most parents frown at dat, it's nt good... Most wives dnt lik seein their hubby @lotto center or betting
I bet parents smile at their children that owns betting coys, so it has to be good somehow, likewise wives whose hubbies owns lotto centres will like them to keep running it.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Samirana360(m): 3:38pm On Mar 22, 2015
lomprico:

I bet parents smile at their children that owns betting coys, so it has to be good somehow, likewise wives whose hubbies owns lotto centres will like them to keep running it.
Not all
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 22, 2015
Every form of gambling is tainted by greed. And the bible warns against greediness. Every betting, pool, etc, all have greed as its principle- Use a little money to reap a lot more without engaging in any productive activity
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by eROCK247(m): 4:59pm On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:
Yes it's a sin. How do you think the person whose loss becomes your gain would feel?

As a Christian, should your gain come from someone's loss, sadness, regret and misfortune? When you gamble, you're actually praying for someone to lose money. (E good?)

Think about it.
Exodus 20 vs 17
"Do not desire another man's house; do not desire his wife, his slaves, his cattle, his donkeys, or anything else that he owns."
My dear, in all ramifications one must lose for another to gain. Even in everyday biz wen u pray for success, u are indirectly asking for d fall(or slowdown) of ur competitors. When biz men/women pray for more customers, are they expecting God to create new humans to patronize them? Would u call that a sin too? Personally I don't like gambling/betting simply because of the bad blood it breeds
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by tempem: 5:09pm On Mar 22, 2015
lomprico:

Really? So wat da fuk do u know abt sin??

It's simple principle.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by slap1(m): 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2015
eROCK247:
My dear, in all ramifications one must lose for another to gain. Even in everyday biz wen u pray for success, u are indirectly asking for d fall(or slowdown) of ur competitors. When biz men/women pray for more customers, are they expecting God to create new humans to patronize them? Would u call that a sin too? Personally I don't like gambling/betting simply because of the bad blood it breeds
Which makes it good or bad? I agree my allusion may have been inappropriate, but I still believe gambling is bad.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by daxon001(m): 5:32pm On Mar 22, 2015
Thunder fire dis thread 4 wasting a whopping 600kb of my data.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Dafone(m): 5:42pm On Mar 22, 2015
if gambling is a sin, dat means dose who establish the company as business (LEGAL) and employ youths ARE commiting grave sin too
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Mar 22, 2015
AlphaDibia:

What are you Implying you foolish man?

You are proof that God has a sense of humor.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by AlphaDibia(m): 6:58pm On Mar 22, 2015
Alexpissu:

You are proof that God has a sense of humor.

Yes oga
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by ISBLIAC(m): 7:06pm On Mar 22, 2015
slap1:
Service to who?
who is that question facing?
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by obicypo: 8:08pm On Mar 22, 2015
Avoid any form of covetiousness the bible warn
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by nairabetguru(m): 8:27pm On Mar 22, 2015
smoothpapuzy:

Oga Titus....pls explain.
undecided
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by dammywapes(m): 8:47pm On Mar 22, 2015
ifeomaekol:
ok, thanks.
You are welcome.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 22, 2015
Woged2005:
But every business is gambling including some church business (investing on ventures with some level of risk and uncertainties. Sometime you win, sometime you lose). Pastors open churches not knowing how many people will be converted and join the church (risk). People may join or may not join leaving a 50-50 chances (gambling) So who really has the right to call another a 'sinner'?

Sometime I feel that the way majority of Africans have hard time comprehending how a cellphone works, how Airplanes fly, and how a spacecraft is launched, same way they don't comprehend foreign religion. Therefore they simply use it 'cut & join', and out of over over-zealousness over-do things. If we Africans really grasp the concept of 'God is Love', there will be no outrageous level of poverty, corruption, wars, militancy, massacres and wickedness on the continent. Honestly, call me naive, I don't let an African preach to me.

Does a liar have the right to call a thief a 'sinner'?
luv you....absolutely brilliant
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Bae026: 11:47pm On Mar 22, 2015
Soclose007:

Bro.... abeg free them. abeg ma know ur pattern

Played four tickets today... Won two of those tickets.

500k slipped my hands today with one team from Germany division played out a 4-1 win... When I played the game (under 4.5)... Though, I staked 3000 for the game with 70.& odds.

210k went off with one Spanish division club, Lugo playing out a 3-2 win against there opponent...I played them Under 3.5)... I staked 500.

The games I won... Same teams but different approach.

Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Revolva(m): 8:56am On Mar 24, 2015
smoothpapuzy:

Am I suppose to bet because everyone in the
World is betting??
And yes, I won't be a millionaire but a billionaire.
Forget pastors, there own hustle no be here ooo

For naija any way na way...if u do yahooo..hammer people will respect u cos u r rich...na who get money get mouf
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 4:52pm On Mar 24, 2015
Revolva:

For naija any way na way...if u do yahooo..hammer people will respect u cos u r rich...na who get money get mouf

I will go through the right channel and be a billionaire.
In the end, we are all dust. So why would I choose to displease God on earth because I want people (dust) to respect me.
How will I even tell my children how I foot there bills?.
Bros, easy man.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Revolva(m): 9:47am On Mar 25, 2015
smoothpapuzy:

I will go through the right channel and be a billionaire.
In the end, we are all dust. So why would I choose to displease God on earth because I want people (dust) to respect me.
How will I even tell my children how I foot there bills?.
Bros, easy man.

Oga well enjoy ur self
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 12:30am On May 01, 2015
ifeomaekol:
Whatever that takes the place of God in your life is a sin, moderation is the key to everything. Life itself is a bet, if u become addicted to anything that it stops your good reasoning its a sin.

Hey, am at sea at your explanation...
But you seem to be a pretty girl.
The kinda pretty I like...
Invite me.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by Anas09: 9:12am On May 01, 2015
Wealth gotten by Vanity shall diminish, but he that gathered by labour shall increase. When I was younger, my uncle who lived in port harcourt at the time, will always return to the village with plenty of goodies. Everything indicated he was doing well at his business. He came home, bought land and started buying buliding materials. All of a sudden, everything stopped. He won't come back home, nothing was heard of him again for yrs. I finished school and came to ph, only to discover why my uncle wasn't coming home anymore. He was so brook that, he couldn't even pay his rent. He lost his business, his children were out of school. The wife was the one feeding the family as they were moving from one friend's house to the other to sqaut. His friends all left him because they knew he will come to borrow or to ask to move in with them. One early morning, I woke up to see my uncle with his entire family and propertise that my small room could not contain, in my house. He moved in with me without even asking me if it was ok by me. Now, what brought my uncle to this state? Sport betting. He kept telling himself that he was very close to winning, he kept trying until he lost everyfin. He borrowed, sold everyfin that anyone could buy. At last he joined O.O.Obu. Believing they will give him luck to win. My dear another name for Gambling is Covetousness, and coveteousness is a sin against God. Work hard and u will bless u.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by gracespeaks: 3:43pm On May 01, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
As many dat r led by d Spirit of God r d sons of God. Am sure of all ways God can use in blessing a man,gambling isn't part. Wen u gamble u hope,but God wants us to work by faith.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 10:22am On May 02, 2015
gracespeaks:

As many dat r led by d Spirit of God r d sons of God. Am sure of all ways God can use in blessing a man,gambling isn't part. Wen u gamble u hope,but God wants us to work by faith.

thanks.... noting all the points.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 10:27am On May 02, 2015
[quote author=Anas09 post=33302856]Wealth gotten by Vanity shall diminish, but he that gathered by labour shall increase. When I was younger, my uncle who lived in port harcourt at the time, will always return to the village with plenty of goodies. Everything indicated he was doing well at his business. He came home, bought land and started buying buliding materials. All of a sudden, everything stopped. He won't come back home, nothing was heard of him again for yrs. I finished school and came to ph, only to discover why my uncle wasn't coming home anymore. He was so brook that, he couldn't even pay his rent. He lost his business, his children were out of school. The wife was the one feeding the family as they were moving from one friend's house to the other to sqaut. His friends all left him because they knew he will come to borrow or to ask to move in with them. One early morning, I woke up to see my uncle with his entire family and propertise that my small room could not contain, in my house. He moved in with me without even asking me if it was ok by me. Now, what brought my uncle to this state? Sport betting. He kept telling himself that he was very close to winning, he kept trying until he lost everyfin. He borrowed, sold everyfin that anyone could buy. At last he joined O.O.Obu. Believing they will give him luck to win. My dear another name for Gambling is Covetousness, and coveteousness is a sin against God. Work hard and u will bless u.

my brother, that your uncle life bend pass indomie. your story is all i need to be convinced.
thanks
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 10:30am On May 02, 2015
tbaba1234:

How many times do people make such winnings?

Do you know that gambling is addictive and has destroyed homes and families?

I am a muslim and the ruling for us is clear:

O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah ], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful.

Satan only wants to cause between you animosity and hatred through intoxicants and gambling and to avert you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. So will you not desist?

Surah 5:90-91

wow, thanks. more thanks for backing your claims up religiously. pretty cool.
Re: Is It A Sin To Bet? by smoothpapuzy(m): 10:33am On May 02, 2015
blym4real:

That is if he is addicted. Gambling can be done moderately. Binary option trading and forex are also gambling.

youre blabbing mehn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

If Your Bride Price Is Not Paid You Can Never See God- Female Preacher(video) / T.B Joshua Again: I See Death Of An Argentinian Leader / Happy Feast Of Assupmtion To All Catholics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.