Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,054 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:14 AM

Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed (3583 Views)

I Am Dropping Out Of The University / Ekenze Chigozie: I Almost Dropped Out Of School – IMSU Best / My Friend Has Been Withdrawn From School, Should I Tell Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 4:00am On Mar 15, 2015
After reading safari's girl post of how she is "tired of law". I decided to share my experience to know if i should continue or leave my chosen course of study.

Am a student of Unn, currently studying public administration and local government. I used to be one of the best students in my class all through my first year till i lost my sponsor in second year, my mum lost her job and relocated to the village since then to survive in school has been a major problem.

My performance just started dropping and i started to lose interest in school and my chosen course of study.

Before I realised i used to be very good in computer not exaggerating, used to be one of the best back in secondary school. So i discovered programming and started learning different languages. Now i can't say am really very good at programming but i understand basic programming. I have learnt four programming/mark-up languages- html, Css, Javascript and php and still learning everyday.

Pls Nlers am about dropping out of school cos there are no funds to continue and i've lost my interest in my course of study. I want to pursue programming as a career, i dont know if its lucrative and if there are jobs in Nigeria for programmers who dont have a B.sc. Pls Nlers help me cos am so confused right now.

Pls NLers ur comment/advice is needed.

Thanks for reading my post.
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 5:40am On Mar 15, 2015
Pls u guys shud comment nau
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by ardeks(m): 6:13am On Mar 15, 2015
Dear poster, there are some decisions that we can't make all by ourselves - in order to avoid making the biggest mistake of our lives - except we run to God in fasting and prayers to decide for us. Back to ur question on whether programming is lucrative / whether there's job for som1 without BSc. All I know is dat there's no career that's not lucrative as long as it's w@ u are destined to do. Lemme stop here and see w@ others will comment. »»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Call (08104025614) for complete video tutorial on web designing (XHTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, Javascript, JSON etc)
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by chidekings(m): 6:43am On Mar 15, 2015
most things we do does not look good at first glance.
But what i have learnt all this years is that their comes a time in when you'll have to make a decision, hold
your ground and damned the consequences and
face everything to the end.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by bencobenz(m): 6:55am On Mar 15, 2015
Just before you quit, think of where you're coming from, how much you put in to get the admission, the resources and energy spent to get to where you are. Then picture the end in mind. How much resources is needed to achieve the pictured end from where you are presently? After these analyses, I believe you should know whether to drop out or continue.
I know a lot of people who graduated from the universities without support from anyone. Determination today leads to success tomorrow.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by colossus2: 7:16am On Mar 15, 2015
Grab that kpali called certificate first bro. You can do both side by side but the primary goal should be your B.Sc.

Bencobenz already wrote a good guideline to aid your decision making.

3 Likes

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Dekatron(m): 8:36am On Mar 15, 2015
Op, take your time to think. A few bottles of coke(strictly non alcohol) can do that. You need to sit down, and ignite the passion again. Aside from programming, your certificate could help you succeed more in you programming dream. You see, as much as i would say that you shouldn't drop out, its your call. If you drop out, will you start carrying your laptop about?? Or you will get a shop&start saying YOU ARE A PROGRAMMER with NO SINGLE CERT. no now. I wouldnt wanna give you a contract,cos it feels more like . . .INSECURE,you dig??.

PLEASE, PERSEVERE. A DEGREE IN PUBLIC ADMIN. WOULD BOOST YOUR PROGRAMMING DISCIPLINE.

Mhizizzy, ? . Say something

1 Like

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by justi4jesu(f): 9:23am On Mar 15, 2015
The point isn't that you can't have a fulfilling life without a formal education. Unquestionably one can. The point is that by declining/stopping the education that's offered you are cutting off so many options.

I personally think that dropping out of school is too risky and i don't agree with it. If I were you I would attempt to make school the way you want it, join clubs and committees, talk to teachers. You never know where help could come from.

From your write-up, you are one of the level headed and intelligent ones in class, find those back-seaters or those course mates that rarely comes for lectures smiley, you can help them out with their assignments(though its illegal) etc and you get paid, use your head ohhhh pls. This is Naija even with certificate its hard come to talk about not having one.

3 Likes

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 10:12am On Mar 15, 2015
You know they say

"Decisions are the hardest move to make...
Especially when it's a choice between where you
should be and where you want to be"

Am really confused right now because where I want to be is become a software developer but where I should be is school but I have no resources to accomplish this and this has made me lose interest too
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 15, 2015
justi4jesu:
The point isn't that you can't have a fulfilling life without a formal education. Unquestionably one can. The point is that by declining/stopping the education that's offered you are cutting off so many options.

I personally think that dropping out of school is too risky and i don't agree with it. If I were you I would attempt to make school the way you want it, join clubs and committees, talk to teachers. You never know where help could come from.

From your write-up, you are one of the level headed and intelligent ones in class, find those back-seaters or those course mates that rarely comes for lectures smiley, you can help them out with their assignments(though its illegal) etc and you get paid, use your head ohhhh pls. This is Naija even with certificate its hard come to talk about not having one.

Yh bro, I've done the unthinkable in school already i.e helping people to do assignments and even write exams, I remember one day, I was in the hall to write for someone a G.s course. There was this lecturer who was looking at me suspiciously like he knew I was writing for someone. When the lecturer came to see what i was writing out of fear I ran for dear life. Since then I never tried such again because it was not funny that day o.
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by GideonG(m): 11:15am On Mar 15, 2015
Don't make that mistake!

I was once in your shoes...

I got admitted in 2004 to study petroleum engineering, I started perfectly till 2008 when I left after much contemplation and deliberations exactly like what you are doing. I was suppose to go somewhere in the UK to study but everything failed.

I lost everything and I've been on the street, I suffered! I probably know computer programming more than you because I have developed countless web apps in both PHP and Python couple with other frameworks. I have developed four android apps. I know Java, Python , Javascript and PHP very well, I tried my possible best to make it but to no avail. I left University in 2008 about 6-7 yrs later after trying so many thing things, ventures and stuff, now yesterday I wrote Jamb and passed with 205, aspiring to go to Unilorin to study Computer Science.

I am now 31yrs old! And will go back to school by 32 (Though I can claim 5-7yrs younger because I don't look it at all). So I will graduate btw 35/36.

No matter what you will pass through, stay in school. The world out there is a different thing, it's not as easy as it's seems. I saw hell! I went through a lot. I am from Gombe but I pray I make it to Unilorin this year cos I deserve to be "better by far". ***Probitas Doctrina**** May God help us all!

53 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 12:41pm On Mar 15, 2015
GideonG:
Don't make that mistake!

I got admitted in 2004 to study petroleum engineering, I started perfectly till 2008 when I left after much contemplation and deliberations exactly like what you are doing. I was suppose to go somewhere in the UK to study but everything failed.

I lost everything and I've been on the street, I suffered! I probably know computer programming more than you because I have developed countless web apps in both PHP and Python couple with other frameworks. I have developed four android apps. I know Java, Python , Javascript and PHP very well, I tried my possible best to make it but to no avail. I left University in 2008 about 6-7 yrs later after trying so many thing things, ventures and stuff, now yesterday I wrote Jamb and passed with 205, aspiring to go to Unilorin to study Computer Science.

I am now 31yrs old! And will go back to school by 32 (Though I can claim 5-7yrs younger because I don't look it at all). So I will graduate btw 35/36.

No matter what you will pass through, stay in school. The world out there is a different thing, it's not as easy as it's seems. I saw hell! I went through a lot. I am from Gombe but I pray I make it to Unilorin this year cos I deserve to be "better by far". ***Probitas Doctrina**** May God help us all!

Wow u know so many languages o, Pls hope u don't mind being my mentor so I can learn from u. I want to learn every single language that will be of benefit to me in becoming a software engineer/developer. Am just 21 years of age, was wondering if I make the money now and go back to school to complete my studies later in maybe two years time.
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by emmyw(m): 12:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
F
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 1:03pm On Mar 15, 2015
bro pls do take ur time to fink well before taking such decision. coz its a very delicate one ....

Wish good luck in wat way u decide to follow

2 Likes

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Yustash001(m): 1:10pm On Mar 15, 2015
Here to read comments....
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by ednut1(m): 1:13pm On Mar 15, 2015
dont drop out. hustle nd finish it. u can be doing ur computer stuff by d side. bt sometimes one has to make difficult situations in life. i remember in 2008 wen i made dis kind of decision

2 Likes

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by colossus2: 1:31pm On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:

Wow u know so many languages o, Pls hope u don't mind being my mentor so I can learn from u. I want to learn every single language that will be of benefit to me in becoming a software engineer/developer. Am just 21 years of age, was wondering if I make the money now and go back to school to complete my studies later in maybe two years time.
Get your kpali (certificate) 1st. There are better days ahead. If you go about chasing money now, you won't be able to chase schooling at a later age. GideonG's experience should serve as the benchmark for your decision. All the best man, everything would happen in its time, money would come when it ought to.

2 Likes

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 2:12pm On Mar 15, 2015
colossus2:

Get your kpali (certificate) 1st. There are better days ahead. If you go about chasing money now, you won't be able to chase schooling at a later age. GideonG's experience should serve as the benchmark for your decision. All the best man, everything would happen in its time, money would come when it ought to.

Bro like i've said in my earlier posts, money right now is a major problem as i can't afford the basic things. Itz not about getting the kpali its about making the kpali worth it when u eventually get it. I've always believed in the fact that whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. Thanks for the advice anyways i appreciate.
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Elevation(m): 2:28pm On Mar 15, 2015
I know it's not funny man, your Uncles maybe are not helping matters like me the person that God used to help me wasn't a relative she's from Ibadan and I'm from Kogi she taught me back then in high school I just concluded a first degree in pure and industrial chemistry. See open up and ask God to help send me a PM containing your mobile number there're somethings I want to tell you, please if you're not cool headed don't bother I'll be directing you to a place. Church to be precise.
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 15, 2015
Yustash001:
Here to read comments....

Hmmmmm space bookers association of Nigeria, u guys work on sunday too?? Na wa o una no dey rest??
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by santakris(m): 2:31pm On Mar 15, 2015
GideonG:
Don't make that mistake!

Kindly contact me when you get to ilorin. We may be of help to each other. 7A44C8F7
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 15, 2015
KingAdeOluomo1:
bro pls do take ur time to fink well before taking such decision. coz its a very delicate one ....

Wish good luck in wat way u decide to follow

Thanks alot bro, i have been pondering on this for a while now, am so confused as to which decision to arrive at.
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 15, 2015
Elevation:
I know it's not funny man, your Uncles maybe are not helping matters like me the person that God used to help me wasn't a relative she's from Ibadan and I'm from Kogi she taught me back then in high school I just concluded a first degree in pure and industrial chemistry. See open up and ask God to help send me a PM containing your mobile number there're somethings I want to tell you, please if you're not cool headed don't bother I'll be directing you to a place. Church to be precise.

Pls i can't send pms, i guess the system is overwhelmed, this is my number: 08056964766.

God bless u as u help. Thanks
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 15, 2015
ednut1:
dont drop out. hustle nd finish it. u can be doing ur computer stuff by d side. bt sometimes one has to make difficult situations in life. i remember in 2008 wen i made dis kind of decision

Am sorry bro, in terms of hustling, what's ur definition of the hustling??
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 15, 2015
GideonG:
Don't make that mistake!

Pls this is my number: 08056964766 will like to talk to u. Thanks alot bro.
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by samtol4(m): 2:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:

Bro like i've said in my earlier posts, money right now is a major problem as i can't afford the basic things. Itz not about getting the kpali its about making the kpali worth it when u eventually get it. I've always believed in the fact that we all have the power to re-write our destinies. Thanks for the advice anyways i appreciate.
.Money is the problem ?that is what many youths normally say but the bitter truth is that money is never the problem rather lack of "IDEAS"what are you going through that nobody has ever gone through?what odd job have u done before?abi you doing fine boy waiting for big job?I was once in your shoes but I survived by Mercies of God and doing odd jobs apart from helping people to do assignment .I never sat for exams for anyone because it is bad if you are caught the result won't b palatable .If you drop out of school you will regret it big time . Finish your studies first ,software stuff is not running away I worked as usher in event ,worked as factory worker in hot industries infact I carry blocks inorder to raise money for my education .Today by the grace of God am about to complete my PhD when I look back I smile .Surrender your life to Jesus Christ ,pray and have faith in God he will see you through .

1 Like

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by JOETYNO: 4:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
fellow Great administrator, viewing so far the above comments, let me briefly chip in my little cent, Remember the Topic on Decision Making, I guess its time U apply what U learnt. Dont let ur education be the oppurtunity cost, after all the series of Theories from Elton Mayo down to Max Weber, Maslow, etc. u wanna let them swim away Sit, relax, think ahead bro. Like U said, U are 21, and that is exactly my age, but guess what, I sponsor myself in School, Surprised?? u dnt ve to be, cos I live in the streets(phone and laptop world) making ends meet. U too can make it big and then look back and smile at the stories behind.

Pls bro, never turn back, many ways to make money in the campus, politically, Series of assignment with alot of theories, its a treasure to try bro.

God help Us all

1 Like

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 5:45pm On Mar 15, 2015
fdxboss:

Thanks alot bro, i have been pondering on this for a while now, am so confused as to which decision to arrive at.
I believe n pray u will make it in Jesus name pls do not quit the God DAT has being doing it shall cont to surprise n make a way out no way for in Jesus name ...

Bless you bro

1 Like

Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by jimohibrahim(m): 11:17pm On Mar 15, 2015
well I'm a programmer too
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 12:21am On Mar 16, 2015
jimohibrahim:
well I'm a programmer too

Wow datz nyc bro, how many languages do u speak??
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 12:23am On Mar 16, 2015
KingAdeOluomo1:
I believe n pray u will make it in Jesus name pls do not quit the God DAT has being doing it shall cont to surprise n make a way out no way for in Jesus name ...

Bless you bro
Amen!!! Thanks alot Bro smiley
Re: Am About Dropping Out Of School, Should I Go Ahead?? Pls Ur Advice Is Needed by Nobody: 12:24am On Mar 16, 2015
samtol4:
.Money is the problem ?that is what many youths normally say but the bitter truth is that money is never the problem rather lack of "IDEAS"what are you going through that nobody has ever gone through?what odd job have u done before?abi you doing fine boy waiting for big job?I was once in your shoes but I survived by Mercies of God and doing odd jobs apart from helping people to do assignment .I never sat for exams for anyone because it is bad if you are caught the result won't b palatable .If you drop out of school you will regret it big time . Finish your studies first ,software stuff is not running away I worked as usher in event ,worked as factory worker in hot industries infact I carry blocks inorder to raise money for my education .Today by the grace of God am about to complete my PhD when I look back I smile .Surrender your life to Jesus Christ ,pray and have faith in God he will see you through .

Hmmm really inspiring bro, have heard u, thanks for taking out time to advice me i really appreciate smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Latest On Uniben Resumption Date And ASUU Strike / Any Uk Or Usa University That Can Admit Hnd Graduates To A Direct Masters Degree / Jamb Admission Stutus Is Out.success

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.