Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation (19906 Views)

Court Nullifies Election Of Bassey Albert As Uyo Rep / Lagos State Government Denies Abolishing Monthly Sanitation / Kano Extends Monthly Sanitation To Sundays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Montaque(m): 2:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
I wonder if Fashola and the lagos state APC government will obey this ruling in the same manner they lauded and praised the earlier ruling by the Sokoto FHC on use of the Military during the polls.
Some judgements are out of tune with our nigerian clime.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by apcmustwin(f): 2:09pm On Mar 16, 2015
But in all honesty do we need to be told before we sanitize our houses and market?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
Why was the thread locked

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 16, 2015
Montaque:
I wonder if Fashola and the lagos state APC government will obey this ruling in the same manner they lauded and praised the earlier ruling by the Sokoto FHC on use of the Military during the polls.
Some judgements are out of tune with our nigerian clime.
Is Fashola above the law?

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Memphis357(m): 2:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
Dragonking:
Good for fashola. Now he will know that GEJ is his boss...
Click like for GEJ and share for GMB..Let's see who wins. cool
Ain't you f**king tired of this comparism between Buhari and GEJ??
Shiiiioooooooor!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Richy4(m): 2:11pm On Mar 16, 2015
I was telling my work colleagues who are not Nigerians some time ago how my country does monthly clean up, no movement etc.

They were just looking at me as if I was explaining Advanced micro Economics Eco 419

It is a welcome development. Citizens should be free to move around. And also keep their homes clean when they want to

3 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by todayguest(m): 2:12pm On Mar 16, 2015
Never a fair judgement.

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Montaque(m): 2:13pm On Mar 16, 2015
slimmy05:
Is Fashola above the law?
let's see how obedient APC government is then.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by 2rutalk1: 2:15pm On Mar 16, 2015
It is high time relevant authorities began to curtail the excesses of Lagos State government. Residents of Lagos State are enjoying fresh air now because of the forthcoming elections. APC maladministration against the people has been relatively reduced for sometime now just to get the people's votes.

Okada riders who were treated like criminals with their motorcycles destroyed and huge sums of money collected from them per time can now ply every route in Lagos just to get their votes, after which the APC tyrants will wage fresh war against them.

LASU school fees which were not affordable to parents thereby leading to so many students dropping out of school have been reduced and some amount refunded them just because of election.

Business men and women in Lagos State whose shops are normally locked up at the beginning of very year have not been asked for a kobo for this year's levies just to get their votes, after which the evil tyrants will go after them.

APC is a Party of deceit, lies, propaganda with high degree of inhuman activities. It is only someone who has not lived in Lagos or a beneficiary of this grand corruption and propaganda that will cast his/her vote for APC.

Nigeria is too big to be mortgaged in the hands of Tinubu. Let his evil merchandise centre on Lagos alone.

4 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by hardbody: 2:16pm On Mar 16, 2015
princesslucy83:
ooooooooooh , loving this report. It`s usually very embarrassing how one get stuk at the airport for hours or miss flight cos of sanitation in Lagos.

Good bless FHC Lagos.

God should first bless the lawyer that filed and argued this suit. I hope all those long mouthed people that see nothing good in lawyers can appreciate the importance of lawyers in any society.

It is lawyers also that put a hold on the unilateral desire by FRSC to compel all vehicle owners to adopt new number plates.

Proud to be one.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
Nigerians always jubilating when a very useless judgment is given. Hitherto now when this policy was never in existence, people would stay for years in a littered environment without making efforts to clean it up. It took the pro-activeness of govt to instill environmental sanity into us. One thing I can guarantee is a very dirty lagos state if this unhealthy law scales through.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by menix(m): 2:20pm On Mar 16, 2015
I laugh in okoko language...

Lagos now go b 'City of excellence dirt'

Lawma go see work run..

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Brugo(m): 2:22pm On Mar 16, 2015
Hmmmm. Mixed feelings. Good move yet bad move. Sanitation is a good thing. How else can it be encouraged? These stubborn sharp lagos citizens will never clean their surroundings now cos they can claim not to have time.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by chillykelly86(m): 2:22pm On Mar 16, 2015
There are better ways of enforcing sanitation than restriction of movement.

Nigeria is moving forward

3 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Lanretoye(m): 2:23pm On Mar 16, 2015
What a judgement...Hope the result wont be epidemic.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
mmsen:
Instead of forcing people to engage in a day of sanitation it would be better educate people on the need for cleanliness followed by fines for those who are caught or known to litter and block drainage; stop the construction of buildings for which there is no permit or plans for adequate drainage; fine those who do not paint or clean the facade of their premises within a set period of time.

It isn't for a government to tell people when they should and should not move around - curfews are a military tactic, peaceful civilians should not be subjected to such actions.
are you actually describing Nigerians or Americans? The fact remains that we lack these effective Institutional mechanism to effectively punish defiants, more so, our population still lacks the educational know-how on the relevance of clean environment.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by akpanikpe(m): 2:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
JeffreyJamez:
How many people dey Even clean up sef..... most people just sit at home till 10,then thEy move.
shikena
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by chillykelly86(m): 2:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
Nigerians always jubilating when a very useless judgment is given. Hitherto now when this policy was never in existence, people would stay for years in a littered environment without making efforts to clean it up. It took the pro-activeness of govt to instill environmental sanity into us. One thing I can guarantee is a very dirty lagos state if this unhealthy law scales through.

Its not an "unhealthy law", its a (correct) interpretation of one of the laws known as "Basic Human Rights". Its called "Freedom of Movement". Until you nullify that law, no one ought to restrict another's movement because of sanitation exercise.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 2:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
This is a welcomed development. Apart from the fact that it violates one of our fundamental human rights as enshrined in our Constitution, at this time and age, it appears to be outdated and old fashioned to have an entire nation put on the halt every last Saturday of every month for Environmental sanitation exercise; it's supposed to be a DAILY activity. This is 2015!

It may have worked in the past but it's obviously no more working. All that happens on those Saturday is that while a few clean their environment, the vast majority of people sit idly waiting for the hours to elapse, and then we go on piling obnoxious dirts and wait till another sanitation day before we do some cleaning and the process continues. It's a poor environmental management strategy.

In fact, I made a strong case against this decree around September last year when I was delayed at Agofure park because of sanitation exercise.

Every state government should employ and adequately equip and train environmental health officers who shall daily monitor our environment and punish defaulters where needed.

This is a welcomed development.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by FLYFIRE(m): 2:26pm On Mar 16, 2015
sucess001:
strange decision...

Strange indeed...

That rule has been in existence as far as i can remember...

I want to know the legal basis of the judgement...
They know they will be kicked out of office so they need to brew trouble in advance for the incoming govt
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by ramdris(m): 2:27pm On Mar 16, 2015
grin
Bluetooth2:

That judge must be a dirty man
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:29pm On Mar 16, 2015
This judgement only encourages people to keep their environment untidy.

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by TheAdvocate(m): 2:29pm On Mar 16, 2015
praise010:

I beat you to that. I ve already filed a similar suit at Awka. Waiting for Rulling/Judgement before the end of the month.

I know Lagos State will appeal. Just like the toll gate suit, we shall await the Court of Appeal pronouncement. I just hope the Counsel that brought the suit will do a well researched brief for the appeal.

Suit number and court abeg
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 16, 2015
chillykelly86:

Its not an "unhealthy law", its a (correct) interpretation of one of the laws known as "Basic Human Rights". Its called "Freedom of Movement". Until you nullify that law, no one ought to restrict another's movement because of sanitation exercise.

Thanks
have you bothered asking yourself what was the situation of things in Lagos and Nigeria in general before this practice was introduced? Nigeria was a stinking place to live in, save for the enforcement of no movement approach. Am not in anyway giving total credence to the restriction of movement in a democracy, but I am of the opinion that until we attain that level of educational maturity on the relevance of clean environment, such laws should be used as a tool of checkmating our deficiencies.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by mmsen: 2:35pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
are you actually describing Nigerians or Americans? The fact remains that we lack these effective Institutional mechanism to effectively punish defiants, more so, our population still lacks the educational know-how on the relevance of clean environment.

Read what I wrote again - I mentioned the need to educate first.

Nigeria has a bloated civil service - why not make them earn their keep?

LASTMA seem to have no issues collecting fines - your claim about no mechanisms to effectively punish 'deviants' is false.

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by chillykelly86(m): 2:41pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
have you bothered asking yourself what was the situation of things in Lagos and Nigeria in general before this practice was introduced? Nigeria was a stinking place to live in, save for the enforcement of no movement approach. Am not in anyway giving total credence to the restriction of movement in a democracy, but I am of the opinion that until we attain that level of educational maturity on the relevance of clean environment, such laws should be used as a tool of checkmating our deficiencies.

One thing you seem not to understand is that, "such laws" are unlawful simply because they contravene existing laws that are called "basic human rights".
Whatever your arguments are, as long as you cannot disprove the humanity of someone, then their right to free movement should not be taken away from them.

3 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
so basic human rights should be violated? It's a democratic rule and fundamental human right shouldn't be violated for any reason whatsoever. They have environmental committee that check houses and issue fines to those who are making it unsafe for inhabitants. So why restrict people's freedom of movement?

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by delishpot: 2:43pm On Mar 16, 2015
Good move. Good judge. Good wisdom.

3 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by anonimi: 2:45pm On Mar 16, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
This judgement only encourages people to keep their environment untidy.

It encourages the LGAs to do their constitutional DUTY for which they receive monthly allocation from Abuja derived from Niger Delta oil revenues. Thankfully the judge nullified one of the clueless legacies of Buhari's senseless military DICTATORSHIP.

CONSTITUTION OF THE
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA

Schedules
Fourth Schedule
Functions of a Local Government Council
1. The main functions of a local government council are as follows:
(a) the consideration and the making of recommendations to a State commission on economic planning or any similar body on -
(i) the economic development of the State, particularly in so far as the areas of authority of the council and of the State are affected, and

(ii) proposals made by the said commission or body;

(b) collection of rates, radio and television licences;
(c) establishment and maintenance of cemeteries, burial grounds and homes for the destitute or infirm;
(d) licensing of bicycles, trucks (other than mechanically propelled trucks), canoes, wheel barrows and carts;
(e) establishment, maintenance and regulation of slaughter houses, slaughter slabs, markets, motor parks and public conveniences;
(f) construction and maintenance of roads, streets, street lightings, drains and other public highways, parks, gardens, open spaces, or such public facilities as may be prescribed from time to time by the House of Assembly of a State;
(g) naming of roads and streets and numbering of houses;
(h) provision and maintenance of public conveniences, sewage and refuse disposal;

More from: http://www.waado.org/nigerdelta/documents/ConstitutionalMatters/1999Constitution/FourthSchedule.html

Abi you don hear sey dem dey lock people inside dem houses for obodo oyinbo sake of sey dem want clean dem environment

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:47pm On Mar 16, 2015
anonimi:

It encourages the LGAs to do their constitutional DUTY for which they receive monthly allocation from Abuja derived from Niger Delta oil revenues. Thankfully the judge nullified one of the clueless legacies of Buhari's senseless military DICTATORSHIP.

Abi you don hear sey dem dey lock people inside dem houses for obodo oyinbo sake of sey dem want clean dem environment
Exactly, our youths are uniformed. They simply do not know what is expected of their local govt, hence they pour the blames on GEJ. Shame on our youths.

Even before I stepped my foot in US, I knew the idea of locking people and forcing them to clean sewage was dictatorial.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 16, 2015
mmsen:

Read what I wrote again - I mentioned the need to educate first.

Nigeria has a bloated civil service - why not make them earn their keep?

LASTMA seem to have no issues collecting fines - so your claim about no mechanisms to effectively punish 'deviants' is false.

what are you saying?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FG Under Fire Over Sacked Director-turned-permsec / Nigerians Are Angry - Shehu Sani Reacts Over Door-to-door Campaign / Supreme Court Sends Warning On Odili Homes Raid: "Enough Is Enough, We Can Bite"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.