Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:27 PM

Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation (19907 Views)

Court Nullifies Election Of Bassey Albert As Uyo Rep / Lagos State Government Denies Abolishing Monthly Sanitation / Kano Extends Monthly Sanitation To Sundays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by chillykelly86(m): 8:49pm On Mar 16, 2015
franciskaine:
Sir, I rest my case. Time will tell if actually the judgment favours Nigerians or adds to our woes.

Sir, judgements are not about what favours you or Nigerians but about "INTERPRETING THE LAW".

If you have any problems with fundamental human rights, (since freedom of movement doesn't allow you have a clean environment) then send a bill to the National Assembly to have the sections of the Constitution that enshrine those rights repealed.

But until you have done that, a vote for restriction of movement is a vote against the law.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:56pm On Mar 16, 2015
charijee:
Where the bumbum?....show me wella grin

See na
cheesy

*wiggling bum bum like nicki minaj *
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by Mrbigman1(m): 9:49pm On Mar 16, 2015
omonnakoda:

It is a good idea for communities to organize themselves this way.There are so many benefits e.g you may spot emerging eaglets in your neighbourhood.Nevertheless it should be locally organized and voluntary. People should not be arrested for moving around. Adults should not be treated like children. That is what I disagree with besides neighbourhoods are different.The needs of Ikoyi are not the same as Egbeda. The exercise echoes of military government. In a democracy people organize themselves differently.We need to understand the idea that government is there to serve not to rule
The principle is the same if government can do this or sanitation they can do it for anything,child immunization,election registration,operation brush your teeth or anything that takes their fancy also what stops them making it 6 hours or whole day

I understand u but, e jikwe d money?
Increase taxation may result.

Anyways, every state is not d same.

My own is that I wish Anambra keeps getting better daily and even the east so one can be comfortable in talking about us.

But we should stop copying what others do, we can be the leading innovative afterall, we re the light of the nation and the IQ base of the country.

Fa ga egbu maka my last statements.

I dnt care
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by gbengaoa(m): 10:01pm On Mar 16, 2015
the restriction of movement is just to make sure people are within their residence to clean. how many of us have made an attempt to even clean our surroundings on days other than sanitation days. this is Africa and Nigeria where people don't care about their environment, so 3hrs in just a day out of the 30days will not kill.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 4:22am On Mar 17, 2015
The point is DOES GOVERNMENT HAVE THE POWER TO DO IT. TO ARREST PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE YES OR NO?
The court says no. It is a good idea and government should pursue it by persuasion. Not everything should be done BY FORCE,ARREST and INTIMIDATION
Not everything should be stick mentality how about some carrot

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 4:38am On Mar 17, 2015
gbengaoa:
the restriction of movement is just to make sure people are within their residence to clean. how many of us have made an attempt to even clean our surroundings on days other than sanitation days. this is Africa and Nigeria where people don't care about their environment, so 3hrs in just a day out of the 30days will not kill.

Gbenga, you're not seeing the big picture. I have already submitted a more detailed comment on this thread yesterday. Amongst a series of reasons, the restriction of movement constitutes a violation of our fundamental human rights. If any law is inconsistent with our Constitution, that law is NULL and VOID! Environmental sanitation na daily exercise in modern age!

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by MrRhymes101(m): 9:12am On Mar 17, 2015
I love d judiciary jor!! That's how I almost went late to MC a wedding last year cos of this sanitation day movement restrictions. They can't continue to force us to stay indoors even after we finish our clean up

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by gbengaoa(m): 9:48am On Mar 17, 2015
dein77:

Gbenga, you're not seeing the big picture. I have already submitted a more detailed comment on this thread yesterday. Amongst a series of reasons, the restriction of movement constitutes a violation of our fundamental human rights. If any law is inconsistent with our Constitution, that law is NULL and VOID! Environmental sanitation na daily exercise in modern age!

"in modern age" we need to look into our society to make legislation because a law is not just made, its a has to be made be because of the people. we are in a society where people care less about the environment, restricting movement may not be the solution but people having a new attitude to their environment, you can make the survey, most people will only see a reason to clean their environment only because it sanitation day, but i will also want to say the sanitary inspection units of the local and state govt are not also helping matters. i am not an autoritarian, but this is Africa, Nigeria, where somethings have to be forced on people for the betterment of all.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 12:09pm On Mar 17, 2015
gbengaoa:

"in modern age" we need to look into our society to make legislation because a law is not just made, its a has to be made be because of the people. we are in a society where people care less about the environment, restricting movement may not be the solution but people having a new attitude to their environment, you can make the survey, most people will only see a reason to clean their environment only because it sanitation day, but i will also want to say the sanitary inspection units of the local and state govt are not also helping matters. i am not an autoritarian, but this is Africa, Nigeria, where somethings have to be forced on people for the betterment of all.
There is no evidence to justify the idea that things have to be forced on people in Africa.That is a spurious claim ,where is the evidence? What next we say this is Africa we don't need democracy. Anyone can justify any inanity on that basis. People do not "Clean their environments" in any country where you find clean environments that we admire, that is the responsibility of government. At any rate what happens when the people DO NOT CLEAN at the designated times and just spend the time sleeping?.Is their any objective way of measuring cleanliness. It is only a lack of exposure that justifies that kind of authoritarian thinking. Government has a responsibility to clean public areas and they can make laws to specify and sanction specific sanitation offences. To arbitrarily enact what is no more than a RITUAL is inappropriate. If the right infrastructure are in place we should not be having this discussion.Why do we still have open gutters.Do we have adequate refuse collection arrangements.Do we have adequate sewage and stormwater drainage?. Why is Victoria Island or Ikoyi cleaner than Mushin or Agege.? Do they do more "sanitation exercise"? No it all comes down to infrastructure
This unnecessary ritual is a distraction from government failings. There should be PAID WORKERS to clean every community at regular and specified intervals. There should be a contract specifying service levels and then we can have a debate about how to pay for this.There are many models of arranging payment. CLEANING SHOULD BE PROFESSIONAL and take place EVERYDAY. Itis overly paternalistic to insist everyone must clean at the same time. Is there any objective data to show that the exercise actually improves sanitation?

1 Like

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 12:15pm On Mar 17, 2015
gbengaoa:

My position is this: after the current one is scrapped, another more rigorous and daily exercise MUST be enacted to enforce environmental impact. It's supposed to be a daily affair. No nation handles environmental matters on a monthly basis. It doesn't work that way.

Granted, we are a people only willing to do the needful when coerced or forced, it's still bbackward to narrow a crucial exercise like the environmental sanitation to a once in a month basis.

2 Likes

Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 12:27pm On Mar 17, 2015
dein77:

I disagree with the exercise but now I have taken time to read the reports.The court has not made any pronouncement on constitutionality. The issues are as follows
A person was arrested and challenged his arrest,he claimed it was unconstitutional. The LASG disagreed claiming that they had the power to make laws to restrict movement enshrined in the constitution.They cited the Environmental Sanitation Act as such a law.
The court disagreed ; The stated act had no such provisions for restriction of movement or arrests as a result.As such the restriction and arrests were ruled UNLAWFUL. That is the effect of the judgment.So in theory LASG can still go and make a law or amendment to the existing law or a regulation based on the law restricting movement for the sanitation exercise.
It would then require another challenge to pronounce on the CONSTITUTIONALITY of such a law depending on how it is worded etc.
It is important to note that in no place does the court repeal or abrogate the law or indeed pronounce on its constitutionality.All the court is saying is THAT LAW does not authorize restriction.It does not say anything about whether such a law would be constitutional or not
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by dein77(m): 12:33pm On Mar 17, 2015
omonnakoda:
I disagree with the exercise but now I have taken time to read the reports.The court has not made any pronouncement on constitutionality. The issues are as follows
A person was arrested and challenged his arrest,he claimed it was unconstitutional. The LASG disagreed claiming that they had the power to make laws to restrict movement enshrined in the constitution.They cited the Environmental Sanitation Act as such a law.
The court disagreed ; The stated act had no such provisions for restriction of movement or arrests as a result.As such the restriction and arrests were ruled UNLAWFUL. That is the effect of the judgment.So in theory LASG can still go and make a law or amendment to the existing law or a regulation based on the law restricting movement for the sanitation exercise.
It would then require another challenge to pronounce on the CONSTITUTIONALITY of such a law depending on how it is worded etc.
It is important to note that in no place does the court repeal or abrogate the law or indeed pronounce on its constitutionality.All the court is saying is THAT LAW does not authorize restriction.It does not say anything about whether such a law would be constitutional or not

Nothing can stop an idea whose time has come. I understand your submission, and I believe it's a question of time before a more recent and updated environmental law will be put in place to replace the current outdated one.

Actually, I wasn't hitherto looking at it from the constitutional point of view, but from the angle of its largely ineffective administration in maintaining a sane and clean environment; that violated our Constitution is a new twist to the best of my knowledge.
Re: Court Nullifies Movement Restriction During Lagos Monthly Sanitation by omonnakoda: 1:28pm On Mar 17, 2015
dein77:

Nothing can stop an idea whose time has come. I understand your submission, and I believe it's a question of time before a more recent and updated environmental law will be put in place to replace the current outdated one.

Actually, I wasn't hitherto looking at it from the constitutional point of view, but from the angle of its largely ineffective administration in maintaining a sane and clean environment; that violated our Constitution is a new twist to the best of my knowledge.

Why do you say the current one is outdated?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerians Are Angry - Shehu Sani Reacts Over Door-to-door Campaign / Tinubu, Fashola & Sanwo-Olu At Ambode's Special Adviser's Thanksgiving Service / Malami Ask Governors To Decongest Prisons Immediately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.