Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:00 PM

Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms (812 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Denies Rejecting Bail, Pledges To Meet Conditions Within 48 Hours / President Buhari Meets With Ministers And Governors In Aso Rock (Photos) / Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedom Of Press (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by Sanchez01: 10:45pm On Mar 17, 2015

The Presidential Candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari has assured the media that his administration will uphold their constitutionally guaranteed freedoms if elected.

Buhari gave the assurance at an interactive forum with media owners including members of the Newspapers Proprietors Association of Nigeria as well as owners of broadcast stations, at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers, Abuja, on Tuesday.

The APC candidate explained that his actions during his tenure as military Head-of-State should not be used to judge him today.

According to him, he has no power to change the past but that he can substantially change the present and have a positive impact on the future.

Buhari said, “I want to give you my full assurances that in this democratic dispensation, I will ensure that the Nigerian Constitution is upheld. This includes respect for the Media, respect for the right to free expression and freedom of speech.

“Many of you are aware of decree number 4 of 1984 which was heavily criticised. I have said elsewhere, I cannot change the past; but I can change the present and the future.

“Dictatorship goes with military rule with laws such as decree number 4. However, I am a former military ruler and now a converted democrat who is willing to operate under democratic norms.

“I am not only subjecting myself to the rigours of democratic elections but for the first time after being elected, I will continue to promote the consolidation of democracy in our great country of Nigeria by ensuring that media freedoms are not tampered with in anyway.”

He told the gathering that the tide had turned and the world can sense the wind of change that was about to hit this nation.

The APC candidate also said in less than two weeks, the Nigerian electorate would head to the polls to make their voices heard through the ballot without a single shot fired and the change revolution would take place.

While expressing gratitude to the media for keeping the issue of the corruption going on under the current administration on the front burner, Buhari enjoined the media not to give up the fight for a better society.

In response to a question from the audience as to why he was running away from a debate with President Goodluck Jonathan, Buhari said there was nothing worth debating with the President.

He maintained that the problems of these nation as well as “the gross incompetence and cluelessness” of the PDP-led administration were well known as such standing and arguing over them on a podium would not change anything.

In response to another question, as to whether he was predisposed to forming a national government, Buhari said his party would decide because the issue is not one he could take a unilateral decision on.

He said, “Just because I have earned the Presidential ticket by winning the primaries doesn’t mean I can impose my personal opinions on issues. “The party hierarchy must participate in important national decisions.

“I like to believe that I am a system man. We have a committee that sat for several weeks and drew the manifesto of our party and whatever I am going to do will be in line with our manifesto.

“I went round the 35 states and had a town hall meeting in Lagos and Kano and here in Abuja I emphasized three fundamental issues: Insecurity, the death of the economy and corruption.

“These three issues, you can put Nigeria’s problems under any one of them and for constituencies with urgent social problems I emphasized education and infrastructural development then the issue of power.”

He promised that Nigeria would be a better place under an APC administration.
Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-meets-media-owners-pledges-to-uphold-freedoms/
Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by cozy7(m): 10:48pm On Mar 17, 2015
I trust Buhari and I'm sure he'll keep his word....unlike PEOPLE DECEIVING PEOPLE (PDP)

1 Like

Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by Sanchez01: 10:48pm On Mar 17, 2015
“Many of you are aware of decree number 4 of 1984 which was heavily criticised. I have said elsewhere, I cannot change the past; but I can change the present and the future.

“Dictatorship goes with military rule with laws such as decree number 4. However, I am a former military ruler and now a converted democrat who is willing to operate under democratic norms.

This man is so sensible and well dignified in handling issues. TANoids, there you have it. The General has spoken.
Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by ozoigbondu: 10:49pm On Mar 17, 2015
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Abraham lincoln

Buhari showed us his true feelings toward the press when he passed decree 4 and decree 2 up till now he has contuined to defend these decree.There was a thread here where the man said if the press embrasses a public officer it should be banned.This move is just political.He will gag the press.Here is the thread it also has video proof
https://www.nairaland.com/2123778/ban-press-embarrass-public-officer

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by SeverusSnape(m): 10:52pm On Mar 17, 2015
Buhari is a chronic and pathological liar. Believe him at your own peril.
Once a tyranic despot always a tyranic despot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by Sanchez01: 10:53pm On Mar 17, 2015
cozy7:
I trust Buhari and I'm sure he'll keep his word....unlike PEOPLE DECEIVING PEOPLE (PDP)
One incredible thing I have noticed about him is that he does not make excessive promises. He has been criticized for this, particularly during his campaigns. They claim all his speeches are not more than an hour in all and that he is ill. GEJ, on the other hand, let out words from every angle and ended up promising the impossible. I trust the General's judgement and his promises.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by valmunich(m): 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2015

1 Like

Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by Beesluv: 10:55pm On Mar 17, 2015
Sai Buhari
Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by ikaboy: 10:59pm On Mar 17, 2015
this man is just too presidential. I pray we don't miss this one time opportunity again..
Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by kheart(m): 11:23pm On Mar 17, 2015
GMB is a rare gem in naija politics #facts#
Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by centmichael101(m): 11:33pm On Mar 17, 2015
#Gejwinsit
Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by Jostico: 11:56pm On Mar 17, 2015
like serious o promising what you can't fufil undecided
Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by bsolo1(m): 12:11am On Mar 18, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Buhari is a chronic and pathological liar. Believe him at your own peril.
Once a tyranic despot always a tyranic despot.

this slowpoke is always everywhere..

You go fool tey!
Re: Buhari Meets Media Owners, Pledges To Uphold Freedoms by SeverusSnape(m): 6:23am On Mar 18, 2015
bsolo1:

this slowpoke is always everywhere..

You go fool tey!
Shut up!...buharistic fool.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking:-H Clinton Refused Boko Haram as Terrorists Because Of Bribe!!! / Igbos - The City Builders / OMG! See What PDP Thugs Did To APC Chieftain In Gombe (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.