Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Highlander Start Up Issues. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Highlander Start Up Issues. (1899 Views)

Honda Pilot Or Toyota Highlander / Help Make An Informed Decision. Toyota Highlander Or Hyundai Tucson / Which Is Better; Lexus RX 350 Or Toyota Highlander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 2:28pm On Mar 18, 2015
Please I need help from the house, each time I kick start my vehicle is behaves as if the battery cuts off and after then it starts and the car clock resets. I have actually checked the battery heads and they are tightly fitted. It all started on a fuel line at a petrol station a couple of days ago when I put off the engine and tried kick starting when the line started moving but it refused, I left it for some time and tried again, it kick started but started behaving this way.
What could be causing this?
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 18, 2015
Kingsyze:
Please I need help from the house, each time I kick start my vehicle is behaves as if the battery cuts off and after then it starts and the car clock resets. I have actually checked the battery heads and they are tightly fitted. It all started on a fuel line at a petrol station a couple of days ago when I put off the engine and tried kick starting when the line started moving but it refused, I left it for some time and tried again, it kick started but started behaving this way.
What could be causing this?

Try to locate any loose or damaged fuses, wires or relay. A scan can reveal a lot.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 3:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
@ Lomomike, I will scan it and report back.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by honmusa(m): 3:27pm On Mar 18, 2015
Kingsyze:
@ Lomomike, I will scan it and report back.
If your clock reset when the issue occurs ,it indicates it an intermittent electrical connection issue ,you cant get any lead by scanning the powertrain .Remove the battery terminal and clean off any corrosion on the terminal and ensure it is well tightened .
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 4:08pm On Mar 18, 2015
@ honmusa, I will that right away.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:29am On Mar 19, 2015
Highlander 01-05 scan result might reveal nothing. Check fuses.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by sultaan(m): 1:11am On Mar 19, 2015
All of you missed the answer.

Basically your starter is giving you a warning it is about to die. You might have a lot of oil leak over the starter but this case is more like time to change it while in Lagos than the middle of Okitipupa and Ore after buying so yam on the road cheesy grin
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:27am On Mar 19, 2015
sultaan:

Basically your starter is giving you a warning it is about to die. You might have a lot of oil leak over the starter but this case is more like time to change it while in Lagos than the middle of Okitipupa and Ore after buying so yam on the road cheesy grin

Chai sultan you are right o! grin, But hiS battery could also be bad. angry
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by jodeci(m): 5:28am On Mar 19, 2015
[quote author=sultaan post=31766217]All of you missed the answer.

Basically your starter is giving you a warning it is about to die. You might have a lot of oil leak over the starter but this case is more like time to change it while in Lagos than the middle of Okitipupa and Ore after buying so yam on the road cheesy grin[/quote

Spot on,had thesame issue on my pathfinder before the starter gave up and stranded me in the middle of nowhere.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 10:03am On Mar 19, 2015
@ Honmusa, I removed the battery heads, cleaned them and replaced them back yet the issue is persisting. I will scan today to know what scan shows.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 10:06am On Mar 19, 2015
sultaan:

This car is barely 5 months old... I feel bad already thinking this fault is from the starter. i don't want anyone fingering the vehicle wantonly yet. Mheen I'm confused oo.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by gbajites: 12:44pm On Mar 19, 2015
Has same issues recently. I just got a new battery and my ride was good to go.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 1:48pm On Mar 19, 2015
gbajites:
Has same issues recently. I just got a new battery and my ride was good to go.
Please enlighten me more on your experience with this problem.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by cocoduck: 3:22pm On Mar 19, 2015
[quote author=Kingsyze post=31781742]
Please enlighten me more on your experience with this problem

the problem is simple first try a new battery or another persons battery If it happens then check the big earth cable that is the cable that connects the negative to the engine block and clean it of corrosion and road salt if it continues then extract the starter motor and service of change it because it may be shorted internaly and so it draws excess current.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by cocoduck: 3:29pm On Mar 19, 2015
at KYNGSYZE
Yes it is possible even on a brand new car The starter is supposed to be used sparingly that is you raleas the key as soon as the engine starts because it requires a very big current to turn the engine so it can generate exesive heat and burn out quikly if you maintain the key on the start position
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by mayor2013: 3:53pm On Mar 19, 2015
Your starter motor is bad. Since you jut bought this car. Power capacity from your battery was too low at a point now causing the starter motor to become excessively hot and each time this happens it kills your starter motor. First thing check your power source and make sure your battery is up to expected battery voltage (12.6v)
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by sultaan(m): 4:13pm On Mar 19, 2015
But you have to system checked there is a machine that will check and tell you if the starter,battery or alternator is bad.

In this case you said car clock resets which I missed so when you try to start the electrical system disconnects somewhere which is why they said look at the battery which you said was tight then look at what thosewies are connected to (black and red) and the wire where they connect to the starter under the car
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by sultaan(m): 4:21pm On Mar 19, 2015
But you have to system checked there is a machine that will check and tell you if the starter,battery or alternator is bad.

In this case you said car clock resets which I missed so when you try to start the electrical system disconnects somewhere which is why they said look at the battery which you said was tight then look at what those wires are connected to (black and red) and the wire where they connect to the starter under the car.I am working on the premise that you are losing electrical connection from the vibration of the car at start up
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 4:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
@ all, I am very grateful for all the contributions I have gotten so far from you guys. Like I said earlier, I have cleaned the battery heads and right now the battery is with an electrician, its not a sealed battery so he wants to change the acid and check for an improvements.
I will update the house as soon as we are through with the battery. Once again ... Thanks!
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 11:19am On Mar 20, 2015
Thanks to all of you guys here! After the maintenance of the battery yesterday, there was a great improvement! The clock is no longer resetting and the kick starting is smoother now. I am considering buying a new battery any way.
Thanks grin
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by femi4: 11:24am On Mar 20, 2015
sultaan:

You might be wrong too. In my own case, replacing the battery solve the problem
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kashif(m): 12:46pm On Mar 20, 2015
Clock (and radio) reset at weak cranking - A classic case of dying battery. I have posted something on this sometime ago.

@OP, just buy a new battery.
Re: Highlander Start Up Issues. by Kingsyze: 3:11pm On Apr 08, 2015
Hello guys,
I just got a new battery and the SUV is good to go go now. No more start up issues... Thanks for all the ideas!

(1) (Reply)

Price Of Petrol Dropping Weekly In Yola, Adamawa State / Reducing Road And Cabin Noise / Which Of These Cars Can I Get With This Salary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.