Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? (32910 Views)

How Do I Win The Heart Of An Indian Girl / Nigerian Girl Traditionally Weds British Lover In Her Village (photos) / Hausa Girl And Igbo Dude Wedding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by tpia: 8:16pm On Jan 30, 2009
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by JJYOU: 8:33pm On Jan 30, 2009
bad belle people. una don scare this girl away. poor mr patel abi na mr singh.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by otele(m): 11:56pm On Feb 01, 2009
love love love, abeg make she hear truth now o, when she go de suffer wahala for this kind marriage una wey de support am no go dey there to helep am.

rita, cultural difference is too much. and if that is not enough, religious difference come too much too. as if e nova do, indians and africans have strong family influence in marriages. that brings problem # 3, ur family vs his family.

one of the first girls i wanted to date when i was in londonmet told me that her people hate blacks so much. she was pakistani.

be wary of those guys.
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by spikedcylinder: 8:43am On Feb 02, 2009
JJYOU:

bad belle people. una don scare this girl away. poor mr patel abi na mr singh.

Stereotyped names! LOL! cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by davidif: 9:56am On Feb 02, 2009
wow, this union is very remarkable because Indians almost never marry non-indians (i have friends who have been burned by this) , infact, they still do arranged marriages.

Here in yanki, if an indian marries a non-indian it better not be black because to them we are at the bottom of the racial food chain. I once heard on CNN of an Indian family who killed there daughter for marrying a black man (its called honor killing), they would rather marry a white because to them that would be like "marrying up".
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by ritai(f): 3:09pm On Feb 02, 2009
i ve made the research myself also.jjyou its not dat they scared me rather its good to marry where u will be welcome 4 a lasting relationship.

Indian culture and tradition is quite similar to d hausas where their women can never get marry to a non hausa man and their men verse verser atimes on rare occasions.
But i wish they can change their culture so as to enable their children to marry whom they love.

'"UNDERSTANDING'''is the key factor to every relationship.am using my parents as an example.But i still need ur advice "HOW WILL I OPEN UP TO HIM DAT THE MARRIAGE CANNOT WORK OUT BTW US?
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by spikedcylinder: 11:22am On Feb 03, 2009
rita.i:

"HOW WILL I OPEN UP TO HIM DAT THE MARRIAGE CANNOT WORK OUT BTW US?

That remains entirely up to you. You needed advice on whether or not to go into the union, you have been given. The next step is all yours babes. smiley
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by nyomi: 8:42pm On Jun 28, 2009
Hi Rita

I've been reading this forum for some time now and knew I had to jump in. The most important thing according to me is that you love each other, Indian or not. Calling all Indians racist and superstitious is as foolish as calling all Nigerians money spinners, false and baseless. The first thing you need to do is have a frank open discussion with him and talk about your fears and uncertainties. India is a huge country with different cultures and generalizing or stereotyping is just being uneducated and insular. The only way you can ever know is by talking to his family and getting to know what they think about you. I think you should pay no heed to comments like "Indians almost never marry non-indians "- what makes a difference to you is if your boy friend will marry a non Indian. kiwi992 calls all Indians racist, when he is blatantly guilty of making foolish racist comments himself. Living in India does'nt seem to have helped him much, since all he's done is cultivate more stereotypes. Anyway, no one can decide for you, at least don't get swayed by dumb, uninformed comments by people who claim they know something from having lived in India or people who think religion is a huge barrier, because if you do, you're kiliing your love based on irrational assumptions

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by romeo(m): 5:37am On Jun 29, 2009
nyomi:

Hi Rita

I've been reading this forum for some time now and knew I had to jump in. The most important thing according to me is that you love each other, Indian or not. Calling all Indians racist and superstitious is as foolish as calling all Nigerians money spinners, false and baseless. The first thing you need to do is have a frank open discussion with him and talk about your fears and uncertainties. India is a huge country with different cultures and generalizing or stereotyping is just being uneducated and insular. The only way you can ever know is by talking to his family and getting to know what they think about you. I think you should pay no heed to comments like "Indians almost never marry non-indians "- what makes a difference to you is if your boy friend will marry a non Indian. kiwi992 calls all Indians racist, when he is blatantly guilty of making foolish racist comments himself. Living in India does'nt seem to have helped him much, since all he's done is cultivate more stereotypes. Anyway, no one can decide for you, at least don't get swayed by dumb, uninformed comments by people who claim they know something from having lived in India or people who think religion is a huge barrier, because if you do, you're kiliing your love based on irrational assumptions

Rita i would suggest you pay more attention to Kiwi than to this person^^^^

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Gabry(f): 9:27am On Jun 29, 2009
I loveeeee Indian People from India!!! Well, so far. . . I love them. When I was studying in Switzerland, my room mate is an Indian Girl from Puna and her name is Sabreen. MY GOD! We treat each other like sisters and I remembered the last day when we graduated, we both were hugging each other and crying hysterically. I still miss her up till this day cry cry cry

Anyways, she invited me to her Indian gathering party the first week I arrived there. It was abbit awkward cause everyone was Indian except me but within minutes, I made friends and the next thing you know, I met Mig, AJ, Prahlad, Sumit, Chikita and others and we became good friends. Love Love Love them! I get to learn to speak a little of their language and also I even know how to sing a Tamil song in full ! LOL! grin I get to learn how to cook their dish which made it an Awesome Awesome thing!!! Never can I learn it in my country.

But I have to say, their lifestyle is too rich oo. . . heheh! But still, very open minded and down to earth personality. I met more than 20 Indians and all of them are really heaven sent!

So as a conclusion, I dont see anything worng with it. You see, the differences between each individual is what will make us be like a whole. Its always nice to leanr form each other dont you think so? So all of this lovy lovy thingy is possible.
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Nobody: 1:00am On Jun 30, 2009
Gabry:

I loveeeee Indian People from India!!! Well, so far. . . I love them. When I was studying in Switzerland, my room mate is an Indian Girl from Puna and her name is Sabreen. MY GOD! We treat each other like sisters and I remembered the last day when we graduated, we both were hugging each other and crying hysterically. I still miss her up till this day cry cry cry

Anyways, she invited me to her Indian gathering party the first week I arrived there. It was abbit awkward cause everyone was Indian except me but within minutes, I made friends and the next thing you know, I met Mig, AJ, Prahlad, Sumit, Chikita and others and we became good friends. Love Love Love them! I get to learn to speak a little of their language and also I even know how to sing a Tamil song in full ! LOL! grin I get to learn how to cook their dish which made it an Awesome Awesome thing!!! Never can I learn it in my country.

But I have to say, their lifestyle is too rich oo. . . heheh! But still, very open minded and down to earth personality. I met more than 20 Indians and all of them are really heaven sent!

So as a conclusion, I dont see anything worng with it. You see, the differences between each individual is what will make us be like a whole. Its always nice to leanr form each other dont you think so? So all of this lovy lovy thingy is possible.

Continue loving them. In fact go and date the girl's brother. By the time her family tells you the history of your blackness your eye will clear.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Gabry(f): 10:50am On Jun 30, 2009
The girl? My ex room mate? She doesnt have a brother. It doesnt matter who I get marry to provided its my choice right? Im just saying that so far, Ive met very nice Indian people and I even know their family and their cool!

Why do you sound like you met a monster? embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Kunbee: 1:02am On Jul 02, 2009
The indians in Ilupeju r the height they are over RACIAL they r like dat everywhere

1 Like

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Nijasingh: 2:05am On Oct 07, 2009
It all depends on the individuals involved. 

Me I be Indian and my wife of 20 years na Nija babe!! We don live for both Nija and India and had no problem. As for children-- they get the best of both worlds!! 

You need to try curry and pounded yam men!!! LOL!!
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Fhemmmy: 2:41am On Oct 07, 2009
who cares who you marry, as long as you are happy and he is your choice, rock your world jare.
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by jaybee3(m): 4:54am On Oct 07, 2009
As long as u don't start bathing with garlic grin grin
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by chic2pimp(m): 5:15am On Oct 07, 2009
Nijasingh:

It all depends on the individuals involved.

Me I be Indian and my wife of 20 years na Nija babe!! We don live for both Nija and India and had no problem. As for children-- they get the best of both worlds!!

You need to try curry and pounded yam men!!! LOL!!
You've got quite a good grasp of the pidgin language. It's even more Impressive as you are not african.
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by chillbabe(f): 12:05pm On Oct 07, 2009
My people my people these were the same thing my family,friends and co workers were telling me when i deceided to come and life in Nigeria with my husband and the funiest part is that they know him for years sins we started our relationship in Amsterdam he was no stranger to them. I have lovely inlaws they r the best my husband doesn't have a hidden wife with kids (that's what people would say) i've never been kiddnap or all the other negative things. So please @ OP go and find out for ureself if i had listen to all the negative advice from my people back home i would have a wonderfull man and marriage past me by. I speak from my experience cause in the eyes off non Nigerians all Nigerians are bad and evil.
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Nijasingh: 1:59am On Oct 08, 2009
[b]You've got quite a good grasp of the pidgin language. It's even more Impressive as you are not african.---- quote by Chic2Pimp.
Thank you for your complimentation!!
Well Chic, na Nija dem born me. Person wey done bath for the lovely red soil of Naijaland for almost 35 years plus ---not African enough??( LOL)
As for the Pidgin, I fit speak all kind of Pidgin--Warffi pigin (the best), Northern pidgin, Lasgidi pidgin, etc LOL!!
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by blackspade(m): 7:47am On Oct 08, 2009
Indians are some of the biggest racists in the world who are extremely attached to their caste system!!
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by semid4lyfe(m): 6:33am On Oct 11, 2009
Interesting and very enlightening thread
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by na2day2(m): 7:08am On Oct 11, 2009
@ poster

give us update, have u gone to india and back? if u haven't i will strongly recommend to think twice, have close indian friends and one of the indian girls and i had a thing for each other but their wahala no get part 2, especially with their family members. right from my high school dayz, i i have known indian parents to be a serious headache. just my 2cents
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 11, 2009
Indian men stinks. Both B.O and M.O.

And its hard for me to understand the traditional indians.

I feel sorry for Chinese men. They're ugly AND have lil penis, atleast naija men have big manliness to compensate for their ugliness.

Pakistani men? They just need to do something with their lil scarf. . . . and the beard, uhn uhn
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by chic2pimp(m): 1:22pm On Oct 11, 2009
FL Gators:

Indian men stinks. Both B.O and M.O.

And its hard for me to understand the traditional indians.

I feel sorry for Chinese men. They're ugly AND have lil penis, atleast naija men have big manliness to compensate for their ugliness.

Pakistani men? They just need to do something with their lil scarf. . . . and the beard, uhn uhn

Olorun oba ooo. grin grin

Se o n bii nu ni? E jo o e ma bii nu so gbo wink cool.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Theblessed(f): 2:59pm On Oct 11, 2009
[b][size=16pt]Well, just to add that Indians and Nigerians just as the BRITISH (their mother) are OPPORTUNISTS.  They never invest where they would not gain something in return, period. 

Indians are as SMART if not smarter than Nigerians in this aspect. It's not really their thing or easy for them to marry a BLACK WOMAN.  Yes, some have done it but how many? I need the statistics, now. For an Indian man to hook on a Nigerian beau, there must be something fishing - he must have seen opportunity for himself and he would grab it like a HAWK.  Its seems that my sister who wants to go down South, is not quite exposed in world events and the Indian sub-continent otherwise, she would have realised that 'Home is sweeter home'.

Aside the above, religion might be an issue here.  You are probably a Christian, a Moslem or hidden.  But have you considered your Fiance's Religion (HINDUISM) and their 110 gods to worship? Or is he a Christian or Moslem? It's fine if you want to convert to that Religion - no problems but if you have no wish to, I suggest you think seriously about it because, once you married him, your children will be raised in Hindu religion whether you approved or not and that can raise KATAKATA in the family and you would be kicked out and you would loose out as Indian Family Laws are exactly like Nigerians - no financial handshake here. You just go home to your PAPA and MAMA no questions asked. Imagine you returning home to Nigerian like the Biblical Prodigal son! Pity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember, they have very, very large family too to ensure you're sent home, quick.  Maybe, your plans are to marry him and stay in Nigeria instead of going to India to live that might be good for you - at least, you can keep an eye on things and ensure your own wishes are respected otherwise, it might be an issue.    

Secondly, your Indian in-laws would never fully accept you and your children as part and parcel of the family as they only accept their own.  They even do it to their own children married to White women here and we do hear how the grandchildren from these marriages are made to feel second best in their own father's family.  For all the ills about Nigeria, I am proud of Nigeria in this aspect - Nigeria accepts all her WARTS AND ALL because they understand that, you never know tomorrow. Hear this now, everywhere you go in the world, people are bound to discriminate in terms of tribe,race, religion, sex, age etc however, Indians are the first in the queue when it comes to questions of race discrimination. Ironically, they are usually the first to cite race discrimination in ISSUES concerning them with other groups. Having listen to all the advice here, it's up to you!! Good luck!
[/size][/b]

1 Like

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by na2day2(m): 8:11pm On Oct 11, 2009
^^^^^^ na wa! so persin no fit marry naija woman again without having ulterior motives undecided undecided undecided
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by chic2pimp(m): 8:16pm On Oct 11, 2009
^^^^^ Na so we see am ooo cheesy grin
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by na2day2(m): 8:31pm On Oct 11, 2009
chic2pimp:

^^^^^ Na so we see am ooo cheesy grin

the thing tire me. if naija men marry naija woman dem go complain, indian man too dem wan complain, na aliens remain bi that. if the man na multi-million dollar tycoon wey bi indian all this talk about ulterior motives go waka far
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Nijasingh: 1:11am On Oct 12, 2009
Theblessed:

[b]Well, just to add that Indians and Nigerians just as the BRITISH (their mother) are OPPORTUNISTS.  They never invest where they would not gain something in return, period. 

Indians are as SMART if not smarter than Nigerians in this aspect. It's not really their thing or easy for them to marry a BLACK WOMAN.  Yes, some have done it but how many? I need the statistics, now. For an Indian man to hook on a Nigerian beau, there must be something fishing - he must have seen opportunity for himself and he would grab it like a HAWK.  Its seems that my sister who wants to go down South, is not quite exposed in world events and the Indian sub-continent otherwise, she would have realised that 'Home is sweeter home'.

Aside the above, religion might be an issue here.  You are probably a Christian, a Moslem or hidden.  But have you considered your Fiance's Religion (HINDUISM) and their 110 gods to worship? Or is he a Christian or Moslem? It's fine if you want to convert to that Religion - no problems but if you have no wish to, I suggest you think seriously about it because, once you married him, your children will be raised in Hindu religion whether you approved or not and that can raise KATAKATA in the family and you would be kicked out and you would loose out as Indian Family Laws are exactly like Nigerians - no financial handshake here. You just go home to your PAPA and MAMA no questions asked. Imagine you returning home to Nigerian like the Biblical Prodigal son! Pity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Remember, they have very, very large family too to ensure you're sent home, quick.  Maybe, your plans are to marry him and stay in Nigeria instead of going to India to live that might be good for you - at least, you can keep an eye on things and ensure your own wishes are respected otherwise, it might be an issue.     

Secondly, your Indian in-laws would never fully accept you and your children as part and parcel of the family as they only accept their own.  They even do it to their own children married to White women here and we do hear how the grandchildren from these marriages are made to feel second best in their own father's family.  For all the ills about Nigeria, I am proud of Nigeria in this aspect - Nigeria accepts all her WARTS AND ALL because they understand that, you never know tomorrow. Hear this now, everywhere you go in the world, people are bound to discriminate in terms of tribe,race, religion, sex, age etc however, Indians are the first in the queue when it comes to questions of race discrimination. Ironically, they are usually the first to cite race discrimination in ISSUES concerning them with other groups. Having listen to all the advice here, it's up to you!! Good luck!
[/b]

Blessed, You do have good intentions BUT are wrong to generalize.  Actually most mixed marriages between Indians  and Nigerians are more long lasting compared to any other mixed marriages. I am in one and we been married 20 years and we live half the year in Nigeria and the other half in India. We both get on well with eachother's families and we cut across religion and racial boundaries easily. What maters most in any relationship is the two people involved. Yes you might have seen some families who oppose marriages across race and religion but NOT all. In every country you will find people who are narrow minded and are ignorant. My best friend is a Yoruba boy who is married to a Hausa girl and her family initially were against it but in the end accepted it. I have another pal who is BINI and could not even marry an Ibo girl because of opposition  from relatives. I also know of Indians who could not marry Nigerians because of parental or family opposition from both sides. There are always some who will be locked in their views but the world is changing and there have always been mixed marriages. One needs to be open minded.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by na2day2(m): 1:29am On Oct 12, 2009
Nijasingh:

Blessed, You do have good intentions BUT are wrong to generalize.  Actually most mixed marriages between Indians  and Nigerians are more long lasting compared to any other mixed marriages. I am in one and we been married 20 years and we live half the year in Nigeria and the other half in India. We both get on well with eachother's families and we cut across religion and racial boundaries easily. What maters most in any relationship is the two people involved. Yes you might have seen some families who oppose marriages across race and religion but NOT all. In every country you will find people who are narrow minded and are ignorant. My best friend is a Yoruba boy who is married to a Hausa girl and her family initially were against it but in the end accepted it. I have another pal who is BINI and could not even marry an Ibo girl because of opposition  from relatives. I also know of Indians who could not marry Nigerians because of parental or family opposition from both sides. There are always some who will be locked in their views but the world is changing and there have always been mixed marriages. One needs to be open minded.

thank u for posting, i hope some of these women on this forum get an education, seriously lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by Nobody: 3:20am On Oct 12, 2009
na2day?:

the thing tire me. if naija men marry naija woman dem go complain, indian man too dem wan complain, na aliens remain bi that. if the man na multi-million dollar tycoon wey bi indian all this talk about ulterior motives go waka far
Whose gonna complain about multi million dollar stinky man? undecided

chic2pimp:

Olorun oba ooo. grin grin

Se o n bii nu ni? E jo o e ma bii nu so gbo wink cool.
mo n binu si e
Re: Marriage Btw A Nigerian Girl And An Indian Guy (any Objection)? by na2day2(m): 3:29am On Oct 12, 2009
FL Gators:

Whose gonna complain about multi million dollar stinky man? undecided

i was hoping u will tell me, i am all ears

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi's Vintage Rolls Royce Spotted At Kaduna Centenary Celebration / Oba Elegushi & Wife, Aramide Sekinat Celebrate 18th Wedding Anniversary (Photo) / Oba Elegushi Celebrates His Wife, Hadiza Tanko On Her Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.