Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:03 AM

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance (59241 Views)

Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Havination: 12:33pm On Mar 21, 2015
[color=#550000][/color]
literarymathy:

Source: http://thepointernewsonline.com/?p=14023

If you are an Urhobo or know any Urhobo names, feel free to add it together with the meaning or if you want to know the meaning of any Urhobo name, just paste it for translation.
literarymathy:

If you are an Urhobo or know any Urhobo names, feel free to add it together with the meaning or if you want to know the meaning of any Urhobo name, just paste it for translation.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by todayguest(m): 12:33pm On Mar 21, 2015
Urhobo names!very difficult to spell and pronounce correctly--especially 'Oghene' names, if you're not a native. It is well.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 21, 2015
DONMAYOR19:
Ogheneochuko, meaning God is my helper. that's my Urhobo name.
LOL. ME TOO
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kilmix: 12:35pm On Mar 21, 2015
priscaoge:
I can't see my name angry angry

Where dem Urhobo peeps here? Come n tell me what "OGECHI",..... "God's Time is the Best" is in ur language angry angry

Akpos nko?
"Okey-oghene" God's time.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Akpan107(m): 12:37pm On Mar 21, 2015
frankmishael1:
Edo for PDP
Nigeria for Goodluck!
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by sanandreas(m): 12:38pm On Mar 21, 2015
The interesting things about our names is that they always have the suffix and prefix of OGHENE.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Dymondgurl(f): 12:38pm On Mar 21, 2015
@ litearymathy, I don't know if I got the spelling right but the name is Mudjievoke. I need the translation pls.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kilmix: 12:39pm On Mar 21, 2015
Queendo:
Oghenevwaerhe maens?
God brought them... literally.

Most time meaning God brought my children for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by defemidefemi(m): 12:40pm On Mar 21, 2015
What is the meaning of
afokoghene
oghale
Ikpekri
? (dnt mind mine spelling if I dnt get any right.)
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by dennismukoro(m): 12:41pm On Mar 21, 2015
OGHENEBUHARI
OGHENEJONATHAN
OGHENEMESSI
OGHENERONALDO
OGHENEMORHINO grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kilmix: 12:41pm On Mar 21, 2015
Dymondgurl:
@ litearymathy, I don't know if I got the spelling right but the name is Mudjievoke. I need the translation pls.

"Emuejevoke"
Everything has its time, or there's time for everything.

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Dymondgurl(f): 12:43pm On Mar 21, 2015
kilmix:

"Emuejevoke"
Everything has its time, or there's time for everything.
thanks a lot!!
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kilmix: 12:43pm On Mar 21, 2015
defemidefemi:
What is the meaning of afokoghene? (dnt mind mine spelling if I dnt get it right.)

You are correct..

"Patiently wait for God."
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kilmix: 12:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
Dymondgurl:
thanks a lot!!

Uw.. nice pic btw. wink

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by defemidefemi(m): 12:46pm On Mar 21, 2015
kilmix:

You are correct..

"Patiently wait for God."

hmm I lik d name naw that I kno the meaning.
thanks bro.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by jieta: 12:46pm On Mar 21, 2015
What is the meaning of my name. Ejieta
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kilmix: 12:47pm On Mar 21, 2015
todayguest:
Urhobo names!very difficult to spell and pronounce correctly--especially 'Oghene' names, if you're not a native. It is well.

That's the uniqueness of it.
Here in the north, I'll have to do spelling bee for the judges in court when I call my name. Me love it.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by breathless(m): 12:47pm On Mar 21, 2015
Nice write up OP.

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by nattyhero(m): 12:47pm On Mar 21, 2015
Odafe - means big man.
Edafe is plural of Odafe. Means big men.
Akpophren- means life turns.
Edemirukaye- means the day I l did for them.
Omonefe- child is more than wealth
Onotakaroma- means who is without blemish
Atuyota- speaking the truth

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kilmix: 12:48pm On Mar 21, 2015
defemidefemi:
hmm I lik d name naw that I kno the meaning.
thanks bro.
That's my cousin's name... he's Yoruba tho... but he uses it as his first name. you too can try it.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by breathless(m): 12:48pm On Mar 21, 2015
jieta:
What is the meaning of my name. Ejieta

It means; Let them talk or say
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Ritzy92(f): 12:58pm On Mar 21, 2015
Wat of irikefe?

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by cleric(m): 1:01pm On Mar 21, 2015
EFETOBORE : Wealth has been attained, wealth has reached my hand, wealth has been attained.
Ovietobore: Kingship has been attained/achieved/ reached me.

Ogheneochuko: God is my back-up/Godfather/support.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by abraka00(f): 1:02pm On Mar 21, 2015
kbshow100:
Pls what is the meaning of EDAFE (I'm not sure Of the spelling)
Edafe is the plural of Odafe. Odafe means rich person while Edafe means rich people.

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by rawlineo2000(m): 1:04pm On Mar 21, 2015
kbshow100:
Pls what is the meaning of EDAFE (I'm not sure Of the spelling)
If d spelling is correct, it means wealthy people
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by waistaa(f): 1:11pm On Mar 21, 2015
literarymathy:

biko what about Efeturi?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Adesiji77: 1:11pm On Mar 21, 2015
Following smiley

CC: kikilove, urhoboman, Godmother
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2015
so happy to see my name up there...OgheneBrume...of course as the op said it's been shortened to Brume...God has decided in my favour...beautiful...

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Ofklaw: 1:17pm On Mar 21, 2015
My name is Oghenesuvwe meaning God leads me smiley cheesy grin

You can simply call me Osuvwe or Suvwe...

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by martineverest(m): 1:19pm On Mar 21, 2015
Urhobo is a mixture of edo languages....especially ishan

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Roon9(m): 1:22pm On Mar 21, 2015
Onoriode---- who knows tomorrow?

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Kindluv3(m): 1:23pm On Mar 21, 2015
Oghenerivwede meaning (Now God nai get the day)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

'I Got Three Wives Through Flogging' - Fulani Man (photos) / Big Python Saved In My Village(pics) / Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.