Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,079 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance (59442 Views)

Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by donefezy: 4:29pm On Mar 21, 2015
literarymathy:

If you are an Urhobo or know any Urhobo names, feel free to add it together with the meaning or if you want to know the meaning of any Urhobo name, just paste it for translation.
literarymathy:

If you are an Urhobo or know any Urhobo names, feel free to add it together with the meaning or if you want to know the meaning of any Urhobo name, just paste it for translation.
pls whats the meaning of EDAFETITE..i have been waiting a long time 4some1 who wil help me wit the meaning..
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Agimor(m): 4:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
Nice one op. let me add some ice to the cake.Ovie simply means King, Oghenetejiri,God is worthy to be praise. and lastly Ejovwokeoghene, lest leave it for God this happens to be my native Name.

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Input(m): 4:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
olymyk:
What's ''AKPOFURE''
A life of peace, wealth and goodies

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Input(m): 4:34pm On Mar 21, 2015
donefezy:

pls whats the meaning of EDAFETITE..i have been waiting a long time 4some1 who wil help me wit the meaning..

Wealth, riches do have a very high esteem
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by LKO(m): 4:40pm On Mar 21, 2015
donefezy:

It is the wealthy, people associates or identify with.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by LKO(m): 4:49pm On Mar 21, 2015
Osonobrugwechiamuke ---- God stood by me.

Osonobrugwerukeme--- God has done it for me.

Jowata--- let them say.

Omavowa ---They ve been put to shame.

Edore--- the day of celebration.

Eguriase--- I m justified.

Those names are found among the Uvwie speaking people. Uvwie is one of the clan that made up the Urhobo nation. Uvwies are found in Effurun, Ekpan, Ugboroke, Ugbomro etc. Their nanes are tongue twisters.

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by mabebe1(f): 4:53pm On Mar 21, 2015
Dnarvaez:
Akpos is short for names like :
Akpojotor - life is still head
Akpome - my life
Akpomiemie - life is very sweet
Akpoguma - life is broad
hope u understand like we have Gregory then Greg for short
So u see, Akpos or Akpor means Life
other names are :-
Mudiaga - standfirm
Oghenevwegba[my name] - God is all supreme or God is powerful
Oghenemine - Na God i dey look
Obaroara/Obaro - forward ever
Akpevwe - lets praise him
Efenudu - A real or wealth
Urinrin - Glory
Oghogho/Aghogho - happiness
Omotejowho - A girl is still a human being
Edevwie - the day u were born
Omokri - male goat lol!
Ojareri - my suffering has ended
Okiemute - there is a time for everything
Onorionde - Who knows tomorrow
Ogaga - power/Strength
Ojevwe - i love/like it

Proudly Urhobo!!
dis is mine- Onoriode-Who knows tomorrow.........
Ejaita - Let dem say.....
Proudly Kokori, Proudly Urhobo, Proudly Deltan and proudly Nigerian.....cheers
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Grego3(m): 4:53pm On Mar 21, 2015
kbshow100:
Pls what is the meaning of EDAFE (I'm not sure Of the spelling)
It means Wealth!
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by iaustineo7(m): 4:54pm On Mar 21, 2015
OgagaOghene....Means God's Power..

#iamogaga
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by vicchi12(f): 4:58pm On Mar 21, 2015
Input:

Onome means" my own" and its unisex

that's my name
Why would a parent want that name for a child? And are uhrobo people nice and clean? Are they beautiful and tasteful?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by donefezy: 4:59pm On Mar 21, 2015
LKO:

It is the wealthy, people associates or identify with.
thanks bro..bt kinda confused nw..seeing two meaning.i dnt knw wc is correct
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by waistbead: 5:00pm On Mar 21, 2015
vicchi12:
What's the meaning of Onome?

Onomena...meaning my own
My sweet name*wink*

Urhobo wadooooooo
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by sexyjennik(f): 5:08pm On Mar 21, 2015
priscaoge:
I can't see my name angry angry

Where dem Urhobo peeps here? Come n tell me what "OGECHI",..... "God's Time is the Best" is in ur language angry angry

Akpos nko?
Okeoghenemeyoma but most times its abbreviated as okeoghene
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by priscaoge(f): 5:18pm On Mar 21, 2015
sexyjennik:

Okeoghenemeyoma but most times its abbreviated as okeoghene

Thanks Dear
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by sexyjennik(f): 5:23pm On Mar 21, 2015
priscaoge:

Thanks Dear
Uwc dear

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by deathmen12: 5:30pm On Mar 21, 2015
Afokeoghene, meaning leave everything for God to handle
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by LKO(m): 5:36pm On Mar 21, 2015
donefezy:

thanks bro..bt kinda confused nw..seeing two meaning.i dnt knw wc is correct

Both are correct.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by blakky97(m): 5:40pm On Mar 21, 2015
sexyjennik:

Uwc dear
the pin.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by ciaobrenda(f): 5:44pm On Mar 21, 2015
What about these names, not too sure about the spellings , mitaire, omamuyovwi, aruomasu.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Foxie: 5:46pm On Mar 21, 2015
Ogheneyoma- God is good
Eseoghene- God's gift
Uvieoghene- The kingdom of God
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by TSNG(m): 6:09pm On Mar 21, 2015
kbshow100:
Pls what is the meaning of EDAFE (I'm not sure Of the spelling)
means "Rich Man"
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by midasbliss(f): 6:11pm On Mar 21, 2015
Lol. Now I Get Why Everything Na My Own!
Lol. Onome - my Own grin
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kilmix: 6:11pm On Mar 21, 2015
vicchi12:

Why would a parent want that name for a child? And are uhrobo people nice and clean? Are they beautiful and tasteful?

You should plan a visit to Delta state, particularly warri.
See for yourself, don't be told.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 21, 2015
Wot of ''OBUKWOKWO"
Cos my gf always say dat when she gives me back wit her hands on hers toes
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by TSNG(m): 6:24pm On Mar 21, 2015
ciaobrenda:
What about these names, not too sure about the spellings , mitaire, omamuyovwi, aruomasu.
Mitaire-I have met them

Omamuyovwi-good head or better head

the last I cnt understand d spelling
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by skullbaba: 6:53pm On Mar 21, 2015
floragregs:
no relationship between these names and yoruba names abeg, look well. Sister ko
before I start I will be using urhobo nation(UN) and yoruba nation (YN). It is also bad to count a woman child in yoruba nation and finger is also advice to use to signify. 2. In the olden days before the advent of islam and christianity it is the oldest man or woman in the. Child's father family that will give name. 3. There are some archaic word in your nation that Yoruba nation also makes use of also. I am not a tribalist no nation is greater than another but we should try and look inward for a greater society. On linguistic varience the pattern you follow in naming your child is what we follow also, I don't want to prove who copy each other like I believe the benin nation is also the same brother nation to the yoruba nation. What is afternoon in urhobo ? In yoruba it is 'asan' or 'osan' and I heard it is 'asan' in urhobo. I will try and get a textbook that shows the linguistic relationship. African is losing because lack of proper documentation of our great grannnys.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by MichaelSokoto(m): 6:58pm On Mar 21, 2015
barcanista:
I love the bold. A friend usually call me "Aghogho". I didn't bother to ask her the meaning...thank you!!!!! Urhobo is blessed
It means "FFK" grin
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 21, 2015
mabebe1:
dis is mine- Onoriode-Who knows tomorrow.........
Ejaeta - Let dem say.....
Proudly Kokori, Proudly Urhobo, Proudly Deltan and proudly Nigerian.....cheers
Dats patriotic of u
really good dat our urhobo dynasty is waxing stronger day by day. Though we may be separated far off frm each other, but we will still be drawn to each other by dat same blood of oneness that bind us together.
We will always be and never cease to pass on our culture to our younger generations...
Forward ever we go through path by path in peace, love, good health and longlife!
#my special shout out to my fellow brothers from same ethnicity
Cheers!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Input(m): 7:03pm On Mar 21, 2015
vicchi12:

Different reasons of course, but the rationale behind mine is that I'm the second child with the first being a female so my dad " jokingly" saying this (me) is his own while the first born is for my mum.

You have to meet urhobo persons personally to judge about their niceness and cleanliness but I assure you will enjoy an average urhobo person.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by airsaylongcon: 7:27pm On Mar 21, 2015
Oboroghenerukohwochowhero?
Omovudu?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kemisole(f): 7:37pm On Mar 21, 2015
Can someone pls tell me the meaning of oghenemaga(not really sure about the spelling,tenks )
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Godmother(f): 7:38pm On Mar 21, 2015
My own name means " My name thing is precious in Urhobo" Emuobosa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Big Python Saved In My Village(pics) / Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Ooni Of Ife, Ogunwusi, Playing Football Amidst Marriage Crash Rumors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.