Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,421 members, 7,819,516 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance (59486 Views)

Gorgeous Urhobo Bride From Niger Delta / Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by igbsam(m): 7:14am On Mar 22, 2015
linearity:

Oghenerhiurhoro, something like 'God have mercy'

Someone told me it means 'God has opened all doors and ways' The yoruba 'Oluwashina'

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Otes26(f): 9:18am On Mar 22, 2015
kemisole:
Can someone pls tell me the meaning of oghenemaga(not really sure about the spelling,tenks )
it means I serve God or I worship God
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Input(m): 10:22am On Mar 22, 2015
Godmother:

Yea. Is that ur name too? Or do you know someone bearing it
I know someone bearing it, there is nothing like your own, its a nice name

2 Likes

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Godmother(f): 1:03pm On Mar 22, 2015
Evestar200:
it exist, it means God is the strongest or most powerful

Kk. Although its not a common name. This is my first time of hearing it
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by AriDsexy(f): 8:26pm On Mar 22, 2015
dennismukoro:
IGHO - MEANS MONEY
OGHENERUKEVWE - MEANS GOD WILL DO FOR YOU
OHWORHODE - MEANS BIGMAN
ONOME - MEANS MY OWN
OHWOFASA - PERSON FIT PLACE.....MY Native name grin grin

Arionghene means what sir?

Its not a common Urhobo name

Op,thanx for this thread..Barcanista,I won't thank u,u brought me here late.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 22, 2015
AriDsexy:

Arionghene means what sir?

Its not a common Urhobo name

Op,thanx for this thread..Barcanista,I won't thank u,u brought me here late.
U see yourself? I show you the way and you no fit thank me.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Minet16(m): 9:10pm On Mar 22, 2015
1miccza:

Bros this na phrase or sentence abeg??

Lol.... anyone you wish to call am
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Minet16(m): 9:11pm On Mar 22, 2015
literarymathy:

That name is a blend of Urhobo and Itsekiri names.

your head is there
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by kite02: 9:23pm On Mar 22, 2015
Please what is the meaning of Oroghene or for short, Oro?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by 1miccza: 10:01pm On Mar 22, 2015
Minet16:

*adjusting my prof glasses* e nor get full stop so na sentence wey be like phrase
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by AriDsexy(f): 10:31pm On Mar 22, 2015
barcanista:
U see yourself? I show you the way and you no fit thank me.

Oya thank you...U try

For ur mind "Aghogho" grin
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by 1miccza: 12:06am On Mar 23, 2015
Minet16:

*adjusts my prof glasses* ok e no get full stop na sentence wey resemble phrase
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 7:19am On Mar 23, 2015
jomarick:
What is afternoon in urhobo ? In yoruba it is 'asan' or 'osan' and I heard it is 'asan' in urhobo. I will try and get a textbook that shows the linguistic relationship. African is losing because lack of proper documentation of our great grannnys.Afternoon is ugwovho but "asan" or asun or ason is night in Urhobo, not sure if I got d spellings right.
You are a bit right but u missed the spellings
Afternoon in Urhobo is called 'Ogheruvo' while
Night is called 'Ason'
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by ArcToyin(m): 11:53am On Mar 23, 2015
frankmishael1:
thank you Jesus Christ our God.
for choosing Gej

and thank u for rejecting Buhari the warlord
how sure are you abt this. Pls dnt blaspheme or drag the name of Jesus in2 mud.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 23, 2015
kite02:
Please what is the meaning of Oroghene or for short, Oro?

I think the full name and the shortened form are different names entirely. Oroghene means s/he belongs to God while Oro means Gold.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 12:27pm On Mar 23, 2015
ArcToyin:

how sure are you abt this. Pls dnt blaspheme or drag the name of Jesus in2 mud.
go to hell
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by jomarick(m): 10:31pm On Mar 23, 2015
smileyU.P.U nairaland chapter

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by loomer: 11:34pm On Mar 24, 2015
Ritzy92:
Wat of irikefe?

Weldon
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by riichieriich: 11:06am On Apr 16, 2015
please, what does Ovietabore mean?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Nobody: 11:22am On Apr 16, 2015
riichieriich:
please, what does Ovietabore mean?
It means 'I have gotten wealth'. I love this name kiss
And I think it should be Efetobore.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by gtswt(f): 5:04pm On May 04, 2015
Mine is Aghogho-- ---- means Happiness
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Johnnoah1st: 11:49am On Jul 07, 2015
Miramee:
Yes oo...I rep d Urhobo nation
HELLO, am unable to access d mail attached to dis profile again, should i post my offial email 4 u now?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Miramee(f): 9:05am On Jul 08, 2015
Johnnoah1st:
HELLO, am unable to access d mail attached to dis profile again, should i post my offial email 4 u now?
. OK
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by sirkata: 8:56am On Sep 08, 2016
what does dietanuru and kayomavoro means
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Kowor(f): 9:39pm On Dec 26, 2016
Please what is the meaning of Ebrubaoghene
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Evestar200(f): 7:58pm On Dec 27, 2016
Kowor:
Please what is the meaning of Ebrubaoghene
Blessings of God, same
Meaning with EbruvwiyoOghene.

1 Like

Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by Evestar200(f): 7:59pm On Dec 27, 2016
sirkata:
what does dietanuru and kayomavoro means
sounds like okpe or Uvwie clans names, any okpe or uvwie in the house should help out.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by benzion72(m): 1:39pm On Mar 06, 2018
Urohobo people must be very God conscious all their names started with God like Yoruba name also carry Olu like Olusola, Olumomi, Oluyinka, olusola, olunlade
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by lte987: 12:20am On May 09, 2018
Hello,

Please can anyone help with the meaning of this name in full? and also help with the short/parts, their refer to...?

Akpohwofadayen

Akpoh and/or Akpohwo

fadayen

thank you.
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by aigboeben(m): 11:41am On Jun 30, 2018
What's the meaning of ARUOTURE?
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by nowpresence(f): 2:53pm On Jul 01, 2018
Queendo:
Oghenevwaerhe maens?
God brought/brings them
Re: Naming In Urhobo Culture: Meanings And Significance by nowpresence(f): 2:54pm On Jul 01, 2018
Queendo:
Oghenevwaerhe maens?
God brought/brings them(children)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Big Python Saved In My Village(pics) / Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Ooni Of Ife, Ogunwusi, Playing Football Amidst Marriage Crash Rumors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.