Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,677 members, 7,813,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons (741 Views)

14 Non-religious Reasons Why Birthdays Should Not Be Celebrated / Pls I Have Some Questions For Religious Experts / Judge Refuses To Marry Gay Couple For Religious Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons by mmsen: 7:08pm On Mar 20, 2015
A London council has launched an investigation into allegations that pupils at a primary school were banned from watching today’s solar eclipse “for religious reasons”.

Children at the North Primary School in Southall, which is non-religious, were allegedly told not to watch the eclipse for fear of offending religious parents, according to the Evening Standard.

Phil Belman, who has a seven-year-old daughter at the school, was quoted as saying that his child went into school having spent an hour making her pinhole camera through which she could safely watch the Moon pass in front of the Sun. However, she was then reportedly told that she could not participate.

Belman said he met the acting headteacher to discuss the issue and claims that he was told children could not watch the eclipse “for religious and cultural reasons”.

Belman said:

“This is an issue about scientific matters versus religious superstition. I am outraged – is it going to be Darwin next? We will be like mid America.”

Ealing Council confirmed that pupils were not allowed outside of their classrooms to watch the eclipse, but said that they were able to watch the event on television screens inside.

The alleged incident comes as pupils at Paignton school in Devon were also told not to watch the eclipse outdoors out of fears that some of the 700 children may look directly at the Sun and damage their eyes, according to the BBC.

Previously, US pastors had warned that the eclipse was a sign of the ‘end times’ and a message from God to the whole world.

The Independent quoted Texan pastor Bob O’Dell as saying:

“When we look at where the darkness will be, it will be in northern European countries like England and Sweden where we see the rise of Islam and anti-Israel sentiment. Europeans especially should take heed.”
Re: London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons by 42n8dzydoo(m): 7:09pm On Mar 20, 2015
Re: London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons by resty4(m): 7:16pm On Mar 20, 2015
mmsen:

“When we look at where the darkness will be, it will be in northern European countries like England and Sweden where we see the rise of Islam and anti-Israel sentiment. Europeans especially should take heed.”
Re: London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons by mmsen: 7:20pm On Mar 20, 2015
resty4:

Those are the words of yet another nut-job pastor claiming that an eclipse is somehow a sign of god's vengeance.

1 Like

Re: London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons by Tolexander: 7:34pm On Mar 20, 2015
Imagine how religion has been suppressing developement!

Development started in full force when people started disobeying religious leaders.

2 Likes

Re: London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons by Nobody: 8:07pm On Mar 20, 2015
It is weird because it happened overseas

In nigeria it is a norm

My people I hail oo
Re: London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons by okeke00(m): 8:19pm On Mar 20, 2015
and these are the same group of people that brought religion to us
who then deceived who? in as much as i believed in a creator(God), i still say no to religion

1 Like

Re: London School Pupils ‘banned From Looking At Eclipse For Religious Reasons by mmsen: 11:10pm On Mar 20, 2015
okeke00:
and these are the same group of people that brought religion to us
who then deceived who? in as much as i believed in a creator(God), i still say no to religion

You shouldn't simply take someone's word that what they are saying is true - especially when they have no proof.

To do so is irresponsible.

(1) (Reply)

How Long Has It Been Since Jesus Was On Earth? / Married Couples Attending Different Churches,right Or Wrong? / Man And The Quest For God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.