Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) (3124 Views)

What Is Now The Fate Of Pastor Ize-iyamu? / Buratai's $1.5m Dubai Assets: DHQ To Decide Army Chief’s Fate / Just Imagine What These Corpers Are Doing(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by Dexema(m): 9:34am On Mar 21, 2015
AN OPEN LETTER TO THE NYSC DIRECTOR-GENERAL
By AUGUSTINE OKORODUDU
ISSUES WITH THE 2014 NYSC PRESIDENTIAL HONOURS AWARD
Sir, I salute you and members of your team with the hope that this get to your table.
First, let me apologize for this open way of drawing your attention to the outcome of the joint NYSC presidential   award ceremony for 2012, 2013 and 2014 sets held on the 2nd of March 2015. I have decided on this approach because the issues involved are of urgent public interest.
More so,  I am one of the supposed nominees for the award.  I am a graduate of mass communication from the  Delta State University, Abraka. I was called up for the NYSC scheme  on the  2nd of July 2012 for batch 'B' in Anambra State with the State code AN/12/0575. Having completed the 3 weeks orientation Course; I was posted to Nnamdi Azikiwe secondary school Abagana in Njikoka Local Government Area of Anambra State. Completing  NYSC on 6th July 2013, I was conferred with Anambra state honours award as the “most outstanding youth corps member” among  my batch of 3,200 corps members.
Ordinarily, I should not have taken this course to write an open letter to you using this medium but for the barrage of calls from my former Place of Primary Assignment(PPA), Abagana Community and colleagues ever since the awards were held on Monday 2nd March 2014. Many said they saw it over the news and were calling to congratulate me as they were sure I was among those honoured. As I pen  this down to you, Anthony Soro Olubumi who was the most outstanding corps member for batch  'A' 2012 in the same state also called saying he was not selected. Lawal Olabode Emmanuel Prince who also came out tops for 2012 batch 'C' in the same  state also sent me a message of how he was surprised that the awards have been held without any of us in 2012 service year in Anambra state.
Again, I think it is important I know what may have transpired as this issue does not require silence anyone. It was Desmond Tutu who wrote; “if you are neutral in the face of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor”.
I was glad to have read on the Vanguard Newspaper of 17th October, 2014 a story titled: "No favouritism in NYSC presidential award, says DG".  The story quoted you as saying “the assignment before the committee is a very sensitive one, therefore, decisions arrived at must be fair, so that they will not only stand the scrutiny of the general public, but meet the expectation of all Nigerians. Although the report claim that Nigerians of high integrity constituted members of the selection committee, it did not rule out the fact that past awards had been fraught with irregularities.
The outcome of the awards again brings to question the level of fairness, commitment and transparency of members of the selection committee.
Available records shows that 164 which represent 27% of the 613 nominations were selected, what happens to the 446 who were not selected of which many were best in their respective batches at the state level?
No doubt the initiative of rewarding ex-corps members is very laudable, but come to think of it, is someone who scored 27% in any examination said to have passed that examination?
On page 28, paragraph 2 of my NYSC orientation/ service guide with the heading: Awards During the Service Year; it states that awards are presented to corps members who distinguish themselves in initiating and successfully executing life-touching community development service project/programme either individually or as a group during the service. The manual further enumerated the coveted awards to include:
Presidential Honours Award plus automatic employment in the Federal Civil Service, State Honours Award with automatic employment in the state civil Service, Local Government Award, Certificate of merit, certificate of commendation and the likes.
In my own case, I won the state Honours award as the best corps member for batch 'B' 2012 in Anambra with 47 community developments projects.  NYSC in Anambra state paid N50,000 into my account about 3 months after my service, giving the excuse that the state government did not disburse funds early enough for the award winners. 50,000 naira for the most outstanding corps member of the year? What about the automatic employment in the state civil service that is clearly written in the orientation guide? A staff in NYSC Anambra state headquarters said it was discretional for states to do so. I think  there is  need for a  little clarification from a supreme authority such as yours in this matter.  This scenario playing out is an indication  of our attitude in this part of the world were what is documented is different from what is in actuality. However, when I spoke last with the NYSC state coordinator Mrs. Bassey Inyang Ekpe to confirm the payment of the N50,000 into my account, she congratulated me and told me that my name and Udoh Tony Ekot who emerged 2nd had been forwarded to the Abuja office of NYSC for further ratification.
I am one of those who believe winning any of the NYSC Awards is not by luck or chance because the criteria are clearly stated in the statutes of NYSC. But what about a country such as ours where anything is possible. Someone once said nothing goes for nothing. Do such factors as ‘Godfatherism’ and political interest come to play in a highly respected award that is supposed to be based on merit?
For the presidential honours award, NYSC says every award winner is expected to have distinguished himself/herself in all the four cardinal phases of the service year- the orientation/induction course; the primary assignment; the secondary assignment (Community development service); and the winding up/passing out activities. Above all, he or she would have conceived/initiated and/or executed a personal community service project that would benefit his or her host community. In addition,  such personal qualities as character, sense of duty, drive and determination, resourcefulness, special contributions, teamwork, leadership, self-confidence amongst others. If all these were weighed in concrete terms by the Dr. Ihenetu Kelvin led selection committee for the 2014 presidential award, how come me or any of the winners of the 2012 service year in Anambra was not selected.  What were the spectacular projects that stood only 164 persons out of 613?
Director General Sir, I had a spectacular service year. Mine was one of the tangible benefits of the NYSC programme. Mr Clems Ofoedu the principal of Nnamdi Azikiwe Secondary Abagana were I served happened to have served in St Paul’s Grammar School, Ebu my town in Delta State between 1983-84. Twenty eight years later, precisely in June 2012 someone from Ebu was posted to his community where he was already a principal.
I was the head of programmes in the orientation Broadcasting Service (OBS) at Umunya. I enlisted in   the one week course of the Peer Educator Trainers of the National Reproductive Health, HIV& AIDS Prevention and care project through the NYSC. Also in camp, I  gave a talk on the parade ground during one of the morning assembly on behalf of platoon (5) as well as other camp activities.
Having identified some key needs in the school  and community on resumption in my place of primary assignment,  my first point of call was a familiarization tour with the Igwe Abagana Palace HRM Obi Mbamalu Okeke and the President General Chief I.I Onwubuya. Their responses motivated me to put together my project proposal to the NYSC state Secretariat in Anambra.  On the receipt of approval from the state NYSC, work started. Meanwhile I could not travel for the Christmas 2012 because the principal had invited me to a meeting of all Abagana sons and daughters home and abroad on the 26th of December 2012 to pitch my project ideas to them, asking for their support which marked a major turnaround to my project.
I renovated the school gate in honour of Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe the first president of Nigeria, whom the school is named after. I  cultivated a cassava farm for indigent widows in Abagana community, organized the Students Productive Life Initiative (SPLIN) that bothered on cultural reorientation in line with the Subakwa Igbo agenda of the Anambra State Government for 11 secondary schools in Njikoka L.G.A.  I also organized an execution with 40 students to NTA channel  5 Awka, Radio Nigeria Mgbakwu and Afrihub ICT center in UNIZIK. I  produced the Nigeria Peace Jingle in the face of insurgency and violence, I initiated the revitalization of the school borehole sponsored by the state government through the rural water supply and Sanitation Agency (RUWASA) while also  embarking on skills acquisition on liquid soap production across 3 L.G.A in the State. I donated food items to the Nigeria Prisons Service Awka and the motherless babies’ home at Nise as well as flagged off the project keep NASSA clean for a cleaner and safer environment. All these are aside the numerous sensitization to market places and churches in the community either alone or with my  CDS group. The peer Educator training course in camp was never a waste as I mentored 40 students as educators as well as established a functional press club that championed the publication of the 2013 edition of the school magazine- the Light!
These are just a few of some projects the almighty God with the financial support of well meaning Abagana people and organizations such as the Ifeanyi Ubah Foundation, RCCG Anambra Province, 1999-2005 NASSA Old Boys, Save the Youth Empowerment Foundation (SAYEF), Heroes family Church, St. Mark’s Catholic Church, Mrs Roseline Obiakor, Uche Diobi, Mr Ugor-Ojor Samuel among others. The progress report of all these were captured at both the L.G.A level and the CDS department of Anambra NYSC. The final project report was also submitted in record time in accordance to instructions from Mr Ayorinde Ayanda who was head of the CDS department at that time. Despite all these, my lessons as a C.R.S teacher did not suffer one day. Because we were staying in the Corpers lodge right inside the school, it even afforded me time for extra mural lessons with the boarding students and some students who stay around.
Please without sentiments and being perceived as egoistic, I think this kind of effort deserves a presidential award on merit. What about Lawal Olabode Emmanuel Prince state code AN/12C/2008 who served at comprehensive secondary Nawfia in the same L.G.A. I could testify to his laudable efforts in the school because I was privileged to have guided him through some of his projects of over 64. Prince was the second best in the 2012 batch 'C' in Anambra State. He constructed and equipped a five-bed clinic which was his flagship project; he organized the maiden Local Government science quiz Competition for 15 schools in the L.G.A and presented 12 medals for winners, including academic scholarship worth 50,000 naira. The sick bay he built is currently serving a population of over 1500 within the school and beyond. The school in conjunction with Nawfia community gave Prince the title, Oka A-Obuluzor 1 Na Nawfia, meaning “a man that will say a thing and will be the first to do it”.
Again, don’t people like Prince deserve the Presidential award on merit?  
The case of Udoh Anthony Ekot who embarked on massive renovation of a totally dilapidated administrative block at community high school Nawgwu in Dunukofia L.G.A is another case in point.  A project the entire community agreed was first of its kind to be carried out by a corps member since over 22 years of the school. Tony was the second best in the 2012 batch B set.
What about Soro  Anthony Olubumi who also clinched the title of the “corper of the year” for the 2012 batch 'A'. His zeal and enthusiasm I must say contributed to my motivation in the very choking times of my CDS projects. Tony was seriously into skill acquisition trainings for rural women. He was instrumental to laudable projects at Girls secondary school Abagana his PPA.  He was also a Development Knowledge Facilitator (DKF) for the MDGs FACOUR component. I also think that the remarkable effort of both Anthony Ekot and Soro Olubumi deserves a national recognition. These cases mentioned are laced with verifiable evidences at the community, L.G.A and state levels.  What then happened to these persons in a whole service year that could not make the presidential list despite their outstanding performances? Or was it an oversight; a very expensive at that?
These are the more reasons why I think the Dr Kelvin Ihenetu led committee needs to answer some questions. Was the criteria used for the selection same as the ones contained in the NYSC statute book?
How did they arrive at selecting only 164 winners representing 27% out of 613 nominations of “most outstanding corps members”?
How come no one was selected in the entire 2012 set in Anambra State?
Were there any special considerations that are not documented or another political gimmick to cajole weak and gullible Nigerians to vote for President Goodluck Jonathan in the March 28th elections?
Or the issues of ‘Godfatherism’ and the ‘powers that be’ spearheaded the entire exercise?
If the award really aims to encourage corps members towards higher societal ideals through selfless service to their host communities and if NYSC must live up to its core values of integrity, efficiency, patriotism and commitment, the just concluded 2014 edition must be revisited with the aim of correcting the obvious lacunas in the selection process. I say this because no nation can survive on social injustice, dishonesty and corruption. A nation that does not enthrone integrity as central virtue for her citizens; a nation which does not give highest credence and dedication to hard work; a nation which judges the value of people by the number of political connections they have or those who can pay their way through anything not by the magnanimity of their hearts; a nation that celebrate mediocre, and lacks discipline in public and private life, is a nation which has lost her soul.
As they say in our local parlance “If salt too much for soup, blind man go know”
Further evidences are available in words, pictures and videos in the attached links for your objective perusal and assessment of well meaning Nigerians. http://thenationonlineng.net/new/a-corps-members-lending-hand-2/          
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDR1PbBBT08 http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=43255    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD5JV5TcYVU
I would also want to urge NYSC to publish the entire CDS portfolios of both the already selected winners and all others nominated.
The entire issue should be revisited to ensure equity and fairness, especially as it regards the integrity of a well adored institution like the NYSC.  
Augustine Okorodudu can be reached on
austin4crist@gmail.com

1 Share

Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by Acekidc4(m): 9:37am On Mar 21, 2015
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by kayboy4y(m): 9:41am On Mar 21, 2015
You're lucky sef
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by Dexema(m): 9:45am On Mar 21, 2015
Cc: Afam4eva,Maclatunji please can you move this to front page as we need to get to the root of the matter on why dedicated and outstanding ex-corpers shouldn't be honoured.
I'm very sure Nl is very capable of attracting responses from top officials of NYSC.

Many thanks.
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by psucc(m): 10:04am On Mar 21, 2015
NYSC? That is official corruption incubator.

If they can tell you how much the 7/7 cost, then compared to the quality of both the material and sowing, then you will know why your names were replaced.
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by matrixme(m): 3:58pm On Mar 21, 2015
Sorry I have to chip this in. Your rewards for NYSC community development services are not really motivated by the awards you get. If you truly did all these things, then why should you still be seeking human rewards. Think of it this way, you have enriched your CV and left an indelible legacy somewhere in Nigeria. Best wishes
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by Riodiao(m): 3:59pm On Mar 21, 2015
Letter to Buhari from the grave of the innocents –
By Bashir Yusufu
Dear General Buhari; I would’ve addressed this letter privately to you, but in the expectation that you may not receive it, I decided to make it an Open Letter, in the hope that you would stumble on it, read it and hopefully feel some of the pains and anguish that have been my lot. Having said that, permit me therefore to proceed with the rest of this missive from the grave of innocents departed.
Last night, while I was at my modest home in Katsina, relaxing and probably half-awake, I heard the voice of my cousin who was killed in the North in April 2011 during the post-election violence instigated by your loss of the presidential election. With bloodshot sad eyes, my cousin, looking apparition-like, was wailing “Gen Buhari, why why”. My cousin’s name is (or was) Mallam Yusuf Danfulani, a bright young lad originally from Katsina State, who was slaughtered in cold blood and set on fire by youths chanting “Sai Buhari”, like they are again now chanting in 2015.
Gen Buhari, in case you have forgotten, Yusuf was slaughtered in your name even though he never did any wrong to you, and even voted for you against Dr Jonathan. He lost his life just because the murderers you encouraged by your many hate speeches believed Yusuf to be from middle belt or southern Nigeria, most probably because of his bulky looks and brave, patriotic attempts to prevent the killing of an innocent Youth Corper, Ukeoma Ikechukwu. Even though he cried out in Hausa and Fulfulde, he was still not believed by those you (Buhari) managed to brainwash to see all non-Fulani Nigerians as conspiring to vote against you. In this very case, Yusuf voted for you but his ‘Sai Buhari’ killers never believed he did. Like you, Gen Buhari, the mob was baying for the blood of innocents.
If not for Yusuf’s best friend who was with him and was himself nearly killed, we would not have recognized his charred body that was burnt beyond recognition. And thanks to the same friend for recounting to us the little he could make out at the last moments of Yusuf’s life, the agony he passed through and the most important words he uttered before he gave up. It is the same words I heard him utter last night from the grave: ‘Gen Buhari, why why’. Yet, to this day, you (Buhari) have not cared to apologize or show any remorse, but you instead offered lame excuses for the bloodletting you had instigated, and still instigate. I now ask you this: Gen Buhari, must you always shade blood, like you started doing from 1983, to rule Nigeria? Do you recall how you killed Brigadier Bako in 1983 just so you could take power by force from Shehu Shagari?
General Buhari, Ukeoma Ikechukwu himself was reported missing that same day Yusuf was murdered by your supporters, and finally confirmed dead the following day when his charred remains was discovered in a hooded area. Apparently, your supporters had dragged him out of the open and tortured him before finally snuffing life out of him. Like my cousin, Yusuf, Ukeoma was very young and an innocent. Unlike Dr. Jonathan, they were not contesting against you. Yet, when they were killed, part of Nigeria was killed with them; the same Nigeria that you are now angrily campaigning to rule.
Yusuf and Ukeoma were not alone. Six other innocent Youth Corpers were also murdered in Bauchi, where you Buhari, polled 1,315,209 votes (almost 82 per cent), defeating Dr Jonathan who scored 258,404 votes and did not even hit the 25 per cent mark. The corps members were reportedly chased to a police station where they sought refuge. But the rioters, who were raving mad with bloodlust and chanting “Sai Buhari”, overran the station and murdered the young Nigerians in cold blood. So, Gen Buhari, as you can see from the Bauchi result and it’s aftermath, your supporters even shade blood when you win; still you have no qualms. Today, you are prancing around the nation, arrogant and angry as usual, behaving like you have already won the election; and thus setting up another bloodletting if you are not announced winner.
The story of Obinna Okpokiri is as heart-wrenching as Yusuf’s. The 27-year-old was butchered and burnt to ashes, in the service of his fatherland. Okpokiri’s own circumstances were as gruesome as they could be. He had run to the Corpers’ Lodge as the rampaging ‘Sai Buhari’ rioters targeted Youth Corper polling officers recruited by INEC for the election. As painful death loomed, the young Nigerians contemplated fleeing to the barracks. But they were not lucky enough. Your ‘Sai Buhari’ supporters caught up with them, slaughtered and set them on fire. Like Yusuf, these innocents are human beings and future leaders on the last laps of fulfilling their national duty before moving on to a bright future. But it was not to be because, in your name, Gen Buhari, they were slaughtered, sliced, soaked in petrol and scorched. Reduced to ashes in minutes and in the most callous fashion by those that are not better citizens or humans than them.
General Buhari, while you are now busy inciting another violence, please bear in mind that in 2011, your supporters turned violent in whole 12 northern states as they burned the homes, vehicles, and properties of innocent Nigerians, some of whom are also Muslims and Northerners like you and my cousin Yusuf. Your ‘Sai Buhari’ supporters also targeted and killed Christians and members of southern Nigerian ethnic groups, who were seen as supporting the PDP, and they burnt churches across the north. One particular attack in Bauchi stood out as most heart-breaking. According to Human Rights Watch, on April 17 in Giade, a rural town in northern Bauchi, ‘Sai Buhari’ mobs attacked youth corps members in the town. The Corpers, who were mostly from Yoruba, ran to the local police station to seek refuge, but the mobs stormed the police station. The mob killed the police officer on duty and burned down the police station. They raped two of the female youth corps members and then hacked them to death with machetes, along with five male youth corps members. In total, rioters killed ten youth corps members in that town alone.
A lecturer at the Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic, Zaria, Kaduna State, described to Human Rights Watch how a mob of Muslims chanting “Change, Sai Buhari” attacked and killed several Christian students, a Christian lecturer and four Muslim students suspected of being PDP sympathizers on April 17: He said “Between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., they entered the school chanting slogans and shouting: “Where are the Christians and Muslims that supported the ruling party?” They had painted their faces black and were shouting that they needed “change”, the Congress for Progressive Change campaign slogan. The mob had all sorts of weapons – machetes, sticks, and clubs. They started breaking the glass on the buildings. The students ran away but the mob pursued them into the staff quarters and they had nowhere to go. The mob beat them to death. The lecturer they killed was Yoruba“.
Finally, Gen Buhari, let me end this letter by asking you this question: When are you going to apologize to me, to Yusuf’s aged parents, to Ukeoma’s parents, to parents of all innocents murdered by your brainwashed supporters, to Nigeria and to mankind? And here is Yusuf again, asking you from the grave: “Gen Buhari, why why”.
Bashir Yusufu.
yusufubashir@yahoo.com
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by Dexema(m): 6:03pm On Mar 21, 2015
matrixme:
Sorry I have to chip this in. Your rewards for NYSC community development services are not really motivated by the awards you get. If you truly did all these things, then why should you still be seeking human rewards. Think of it this way, you have enriched your CV and left an indelible legacy somewhere in Nigeria. Best wishes
That dosent justify the corruption in selecting awardees or likely replacement of those who deserve it with others.
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by Kayyhe(m): 8:03pm On May 02, 2015
@ Dexema
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by Nobody: 8:39pm On May 02, 2015
God would reward you in due time

Learn not to trust in man
Re: What Is The FATE Of These Corpers? (photos) by babyfaceafrica: 8:42pm On May 02, 2015
Dexema:

That dosent justify the corruption in selecting awardees or likely replacement of those who deserve it with others.
my dear it happens everywhere ..especially federal government agencies..thank God for you luck...only God can reward human endeavours..humans cannot

(1) (Reply)

Full List Of Nigeria Ministers Inaugurated And Their Portfolios. / Rivers Rerun Election: Unofficial Results / See How Fayose Surprised Cobbler Who Repaired His Spoilt Shoe(pics,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.