Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,441 members, 7,819,627 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

What Signs Do One Look Out For To Know When A Car Is Due For Oil Change? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Signs Do One Look Out For To Know When A Car Is Due For Oil Change? (1086 Views)

5 PROBLEMS DUE TO LONGER ENGINE OIL CHANGE INTERVALS. (Photos) / Free Oil, Free Oil Filter,free Oil Change, Free Vehicle Scan / How Do I Know That My Car Is Due For Oil Change? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Signs Do One Look Out For To Know When A Car Is Due For Oil Change? by folamog(m): 10:01am On Mar 21, 2015
Hi folks, please I need to know what to check to know when a car is due for service, I have been told 3 months, but the car in question is not used everyday, just weekends and bot all weekends.
Re: What Signs Do One Look Out For To Know When A Car Is Due For Oil Change? by iamSi(m): 11:40am On Mar 21, 2015
I have been finding answers too... but often time this is what I do ... I check the engine oil if its light then I know its ready to be changed
Re: What Signs Do One Look Out For To Know When A Car Is Due For Oil Change? by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:07pm On Mar 21, 2015
folamog:
Hi folks, please I need to know what to check to know when a car is due for service, I have been told 3 months, but the car in question is not used everyday, just weekends and bot all weekends.

we have covered that topic many times

just search this forum you will find threads
Re: What Signs Do One Look Out For To Know When A Car Is Due For Oil Change? by nurey(m): 6:09pm On Mar 21, 2015
ZIMDRILL:

we have covered that topic many times

just search this forum you will find threads

Yes you are right it has been covered but I doubt if they will bother searching for it. To those who need to know, your manufacturer will specify a specific distance to be covered before oil changes depending on how long you have been using the car.

If you check your trip meter on the dash board, you shud see TRIP A, TRIP B and one with total distance the car has covered (miles or kilometer), you suppose to pick one for oil change and the other for fuel or mpg calculator or distance a journey is.

Normally depending on the type of engine oil used (synthetic blend, semi synthetic etc) that will tell you how long you can use.

For example I use a toyota sienna and i use MRS full synthetic engine oil (5W40), I don't change the oil until I have covered between 8000km or 10000km I normally achieve this in 6months, if I am not able to achieve that which has never happened then I will change the oil after 8months.

For those using the popular 20W50 and cheap engine oils, its better u not allow the oil to surpass 3months to avoid sludge in engine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Signs Do One Look Out For To Know When A Car Is Due For Oil Change? by earthrealm(m): 9:07pm On Mar 23, 2015
u got it all wrong!!!!.

if a car gives u sign that it needs an oil change..........then damage is already being done to the engine, if u r using cheap a,ss oil 20w 50 sold from 1500 naira to 3500naira......then i recommend u change every 2500miles or 3 months wch ever comes first..........for peace of mind...u might even change at 2 months....oil is cheap...car engine isnt!!!!

if u r using synthetic oil 0w 30, 0w 40 mobil 1 sold from 8k to 12k.......change every 6k miles or 6months wch ever comes first
Re: What Signs Do One Look Out For To Know When A Car Is Due For Oil Change? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:05pm On Mar 23, 2015
earthrealm:
u got it all wrong!!!!.

if a car gives u sign that it needs an oil change..........then damage is already being done to the engine, if u r using cheap a,ss oil 20w 50 sold from 1500 naira to 3500naira......then i recommend u change every 2500miles or 3 months wch ever comes first..........for peace of mind...u might even change at 2 months....oil is cheap...car engine isnt!!!!

if u r using synthetic oil 0w 30, 0w 40 mobil 1 sold from 8k to 12k.......change every 6k miles or 6months wch ever comes first

where did you get those figures 2500miles or 3 and 6 months ?

(1) (Reply)

Is My Battery Or Alternator Abt To Pack Up / Peugeot 2008 DKR 2016 Model: King Of Jungle! / US Presidential Limo Makes James Bond Green With Envy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.