Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,864 members, 7,817,558 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:21 PM

Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon (7971 Views)

Garba Shehu - The President Will Not Take Action That Violates The Constitution / Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon / Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Nobody: 9:46pm On Mar 25, 2015
Igbariam – A former Military Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (rtd), said on Wednesday that an Igbo president would help heal the civil war wounds, maintaining that he supports the idea of rotational presidency

Gowon said this while delivering a lecture entitled “No Victor, No Vanquished: Healing the Nigerian Nation” to mark the 6th Convocation ceremony of the Chukwumeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (COOU), Igbariam, in Anambra.

He explained that the civil war was not out of hatred for the late Igbo leader Odumegwu Ojukwu or the Igbos, but was based on the principle of a commitment to a robust Nigeria.

“It is wrong to conclude that the civil war broke out following the failure of the Aburi Accord but was the direct result of a unilateral decision of independence for Eastern Nigeria.
“If there was no seccession, there would have been no war.
“It was a reluctant war waged to unite the country,” Gowon explained.

He acknowledged that many people died of hunger and diseases during the period but maintained that the Federal Government ensured that starvation was not used as a weapon of war.

Gowon said that Nigerians should be proud of the gains of the war through the healing balm of “no victor, no vanquished.”
According to him, the three Rs of reconciliation, rehabilitation and reconstruction were adopted to enhance national unity.
He also argued that the abandonment of the development plan drafted immediately after the war by successive governments, resulted in the infrastructural decay in the country.

The former head of state, however, lauded Ojukwu for his courage in defending his people during the war, saying: “if Ojukwu were in my shoes, he would have equally waged the war.”

He also commended the Anambra government and management of the university for honouring Ojukwu with the change in name of the institution from Anambra State University to COOU.

Gov. Willie Obiano of Anambra, who lauded Gowon for honouring the invitation, said education was dear to his administration.
Represented by the state Commissioner for Education, Prof. Kate Omenugha, Obiano said that a blue print for the development of higher education would soon be implemented in the state.

“Infrastructure, students’ welfare as well as teachers and lecturers’ welfare are important tools for developing the education sector of the state.
“This administration has increased the salaries of teachers in rural areas by 20 per cent and has approved extra N3, 000 for teachers who teach core subjects,’’ Obiano said.

Earlier, the Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof. Fidelis Okafor, said that the lecture was designed to honour Ojukwu and give opportunity to Gowon to clear the air on the civil war.

The university will, on March 26, hold its convocation ceremony at the Igbariam campus. (NAN)

See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/igbo-president-will-help-heal-civil-war-wounds-gowon/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook#sthash.p6oFebLZ.dpuf
Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by SeverusSnape(m): 9:47pm On Mar 25, 2015
"No Victor, No vanquished"
This man is not sincere, He's just saying this to please the igbos.

1 Like

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Chanchit: 9:51pm On Mar 25, 2015
NA Old age dey worry this man. So no blame am.

1 Like

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Tolexander: 9:52pm On Mar 25, 2015
SeverusSnape:
no burst kasala tonight o!
Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Collynzo419: 9:53pm On Mar 25, 2015
To be the President, you have to be popular across all divides of the Nigerian society.

A president is not elected just by emotional and sentimental reasons. My Igbo people need to think well and move on from past. They cannot just hate Northerners and expect to be President of Nigeria.

To be the President of Nigeria, you must have the support of the North and the South. If every Northerner votes against you and every Southerner votes for you- you still loose the election.

I see people like Dr Ngige and Okorocha as candidates for Igbo Presidents in the near future. Let us accept the truth, the region holding Nigeria together is the SW, they have alliances with every other region in Nigeria and their influence is just unbelievable. Jonathan practically lives in the SW now just because of Yoruba votes.

After Buhari wins this weekend, Igbos should sit down and decide what they want. They should learn to build alliances and be more Nigerian than phanthom Biafrans- it wont happen.

#wehavedecided

17 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by raumdeuter: 9:53pm On Mar 25, 2015
No Iodine? No plaster or make dem take the wounds to doctor

1 Like

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 25, 2015
The earlier the better!
Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Millionjazz(m): 9:58pm On Mar 25, 2015
I never know buhari and APC was spoken about in the bible. Pls before u vote read prover24:21-22... U will be suprised and will agree with me that there is nth new under the sun!
Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by raumdeuter: 9:59pm On Mar 25, 2015
Imagine Gowon the conqueror of Ojuku is the one leading convocation at Ojukus University

WHat a shame.

They really disgraced Ojukwu alive and in death

Key lesson for young men:

When you decide to go to war based on your impulse after taking a carton of Orijin armed with 200 cutlasses, 100 stones and catapult

1. you would be soundly beaten/defeated,
2. you would flee to Abidjan,
3. FFK would nyansh your wife,
4. you would die deaf and dumb
5. Your children, family and wife would start fighting after your death
6. Your conqueror would come to brag in a university named after you

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by purplesummer(f): 9:59pm On Mar 25, 2015
SeverusSnape:
I think he's now being remorseful

4 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by ozoigbondu: 9:59pm On Mar 25, 2015
I detest this coconut head called Gowon but sometimes i love one nigeria with my brothers travelling and making home is different part of this geographical entity and it will contuine so long as GEJ is the president.........GEJ till 2029

6 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by raumdeuter: 10:00pm On Mar 25, 2015
yibomustgo:
we have to avoid this massacre again

Abeg remove the picture. Na beg I dey beg you. It would derail the thread from the key insult given to Ojuku
Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 25, 2015
To get more jokes ,text "general gowon"to 51230...

For nigerian subscribers only...

Wakacome

2 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by yibomustgo(m): 10:02pm On Mar 25, 2015
raumdeuter:

Abeg remove the picture. Na beg I dey beg you. It would derail the thread from the key insult given to Ojuku

Asko o, Lobito, tomo de re, tagba re...
Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by raumdeuter: 10:04pm On Mar 25, 2015
purplesummer:

remor-wetin? Let that war come again, Gowon would do exactly the same thing and this time ensure Ojuku doesnt escape like the coward he is

1 Like

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 25, 2015
So Gowon still gave his lecture at an ibo university named after OJukwu in ibo land (thesame man he chased out of ibo land and made to dress like a woman), after all the chest beating and noise making by massob and nairaland fools about stopping him.

I now conclude that one can actually steal an ibo man's wife and still be welcomed like a celeb in his house grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by gwales: 10:08pm On Mar 25, 2015
I thought there was money paid for his head

2 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by JackBaueress(f): 10:08pm On Mar 25, 2015
angry angry
Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by gwales: 10:10pm On Mar 25, 2015
where are the massob and nairaland e warriors?

5 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Nobody: 10:13pm On Mar 25, 2015
JackBaueress:
angry angry
I still remember your statement concerning gowon visiting.

"I support massob against gowon in ibo land" grin

Gowon lectured you guys grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by FreeGlobe(f): 10:15pm On Mar 25, 2015
Exactly where does these yorubas come in?

4 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Nobody: 10:17pm On Mar 25, 2015
gwales:
where are the massob and nairaland e warriors?
they've all gone to hide in abidjan.

Who no go run when him hear sey Gowon to come biafra?

Dem Oga dress like woman before him fit escape

Collynzo9 customized13 aka genigrigi. Where are you guys?

Stop rubbing lipstick grin

7 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by SeverusSnape(m): 10:17pm On Mar 25, 2015
purplesummer:

Yeah....The guilt is haunting him.

1 Like

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by IGBOSON1: 10:17pm On Mar 25, 2015
raumdeuter:

remor-wetin? Let that war come again, Gowon would do exactly the same thing and this time ensure Ojuku doesnt escape like the coward he is

^^^Asswipe!....The tag 'coward' sits nicely with your kinsfolk! Scum who targeted innocent civilians when the Biafran soldiers they were facing proved too strong an opponent! Their thinking was: if the warriors are too tough, target their women and children to get back at them! Strafe their schools, markets and farms to break their will since their soldiers were proving a bit too plucky! The 'little' issue of war crimes and pogrom could be dealt with later with that trusty old tool called revisionism!

Even today as we speak you miserable lot are still at it: raping, kidnapping, slaughtering, and pillaging like there's no tomorrow!

PS: And i can tell you for nothing that if that war were to occur again today, the outcome will be entirely different; the dynamics have changed!

8 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by ideology(m): 10:26pm On Mar 25, 2015
Nigeria is/was a formed out of greed and selfish interest of the colonialist.

After 100years …

Ojukwu was right.
To thy home oh Israel, I support division!!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by gwales: 10:26pm On Mar 25, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^Asswipe!....The tag 'coward' sits nicely with your kinsfolk! Scum who targeted innocent civilians when the Biafran soldiers they were facing proved too strong an opponent! Their thinking was: if the warriors are too tough, target their women and children to get back at them! Strafe their schools, markets and farms to break their will since their soldiers were proving a bit too plucky! The 'little' issue of war crimes and pogrom could be dealt with later with that trusty old tool called revisionism!

Even today as we speak you miserable lot are still at it: raping, kidnapping, slaughtering, and pillaging like there's no tomorrow!

PS: And i can tell you for nothing that if that war were to occur again today, the outcome will be entirely different; the dynamics have changed!
I thought u pple received order from Biafra radio not to allow him attend and there was even a bounty on his head? or have u all run to Abidjan for vacation

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Nobody: 10:27pm On Mar 25, 2015
FreeGlobe:
Exactly where does these yorubas come in?
learn good english

1 Like

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by yibomustgo(m): 10:28pm On Mar 25, 2015
gwales:
I thought u pple received order from Biafra radio not to allow him attend and there was even a bounty on his head? or have u all run to Abidjan for vacation

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The bounty was just the regular chest beating.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo President Will Help Heal Civil War Wounds – Gowon by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 25, 2015
gwales:
they all left ibo land for him grin

They thought he was coming with benjamin adekunle grin

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP To Senate: Some Nominees Have Failed To Defend Their Corruption Allegations / Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger / No Victor No Vanquished - How true?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.