Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,550 members, 7,823,425 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? (35129 Views)

All You Need To Know About Court Marriage In Nigeria -Barr. Enwongo Cleopas. / What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Court Marriage / She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Kandaha: 7:43am On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Please, where did the 'Wedding' emanate from?

Such a Wedding is celebrated at the Registry that's all. The revenue collected from the Federal Registry returns to the Federal Government while that for the state belongs to the state/Local Government.

However the Matrimonial Causes Act (MCA) guides the operations at the Marriage Registry.

When you get married at the Registry you come under the purview of the MCA. If either couple wants to dissolve the marriage the couple can file a Petition at any State High Court.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by okotv(m): 8:01am On Mar 30, 2015
Herzumpther:
As a matter of fact I'm going to do all 3 of them. Traditional marriage, court marriage and church wedding.
you can't possibly do all three cause if the church you are getting wed is registered, they give you the certificate. Church wedding is just court wedding in the church
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 30, 2015
okotv:
you can't possibly do all three cause if the church you are getting wed is registered, they give you the certificate. Church wedding is just court wedding in the church
Good one but in her bid to do the three...she starts from wedding in an unregistered church...hahaha.
I think prenups and wills should help the guys or whoever wants to protect their wealth.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by okotv(m): 8:13am On Mar 30, 2015
ferdimako:

Good one but in her bid to do the three...she starts from wedding in an unregistered church...hahaha.
I think prenups and wills should help the guys or whoever wants to protect their wealth.
is the Catholic church registered Get what I mean.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 8:28am On Mar 30, 2015
okotv:
I will do all 3 dear. l don't think catholic church is registered.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by blakky97(m): 8:34am On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Lotta Nollywood movies wink?
naaah
just books.
like discourses in the first decade of livy by niccolo machiavelli.
wtf! who watches those irritating stuff called Nollywood
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by okotv(m): 8:36am On Mar 30, 2015
Herzumpther:
I will do all 3 dear. l don't think catholic church is registered.
I think they are.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 30, 2015
okotv:
I think they are.
Will find out.

How are you? Hope you slept well?
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by blakky97(m): 8:41am On Mar 30, 2015
Sleekyshuga:

Lotta Nollywood movies wink?
l checked ur profile.
very make sense.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:11am On Mar 30, 2015
Napoleone:
Wow! This is very nice...in fact, I'm falling in love with you right away!
It is noteworthy that the term "court marriage" is informal. It is called "statutory marriage" or "marriage under the Act". In essence, it is not the venue of the marriage that matters or determines but whether the procedures stated in the Marriage Act have been strictly followed. For instance, apart from going to the registry, a statutory marriage can also be conducted in a licenced place of worship-this requires the certificate to be returned to the registry. This goes to show that church blessing is not tantamount to statutory marriage.
However, it is not uncommon for woman to leave the wedding arrangement in the charge of the man. If the man fraudulently pretends to have done 'court wedding' and starts using that to maltreat the woman or threaten to divorce her by any means, the woman can seek legal redress and succeed.
I must also address the fact that "if you're not ready to share what you have with your partner, then why tell her you love her talkless of marrying her?". Research has shown that most males shy away from statutory marriage for a number of reasons which includes, but not limited to, the desire to enjoy the potential to marry as many wives as possible(which the customary marriage guarantee), the reluctance to share both movable and immovable property with the woman, the mischievous intention to divorce her in any manner and at any time etc
The disadvantages of a lady undergoing only a customary marriage with a man are countless but I will mention a few.
1. Polygamy: The man has the right to marry as many wives as possible. In fact, it has been submitted that he has a right to commit adultery.
2. Divorce: The man can divorce the woman in an unscrupulous manner. For example, he can just wake up one morning and send the woman packing. That's the end of the marriage.
3. Custody: The man will have exclusive custody of the children. In other words, the man is the owner of the children unlike statutory marriage where they are jointly owned. The implication of this is that if the man has been nowhere to be found since the birth of the child and the woman has been taking care of the children, he can even come when the they are less than 18years to take them away. Etc
My submission is that any man that refuses to marry you under the Act i.e 'court wedding' is not worth marrying you at all because he is subjecting you to grave insecurity. You should be suspicious of such man.
LADIES!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

GBAM!! Ladies, una dey hear? Be very wary of any man who avoids Statutory marriage! It protects you and your kids. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. Any man who is still suspicious of women even while he is single should not get married. Its not by force. Such a man is only after his selfish desires, not concerned about your welfare and his children and so he marries a woman to decorate the home like a furniture. Men like these forget that they wont carry their wealth/belongings to the grave. Thank God churches are begining to incorporate statutory marriage. That tells you christianity supports the welfare of women and children.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 30, 2015
okotv:
is the Catholic church registered Get what I mean.
They should be and if embassies recognize it....chikena!
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 30, 2015
Sophyrocks:

GBAM!! Ladies, una dey hear? Be very wary of any man who avoids Statutory marriage! It protects you and your kids. To be forewarned is to be forearmed. Any man who is still suspicious of women even while he is single should not get married. Its not by force. Such a man is only after his selfish desires, not concerned about your welfare and his children and so he marries a woman to decorate the home like a furniture. Men like these forget that they wont carry their wealth/belongings to the grave. Thank God churches are begining to incorporate statutory marriage. That tells you christianity supports the welfare of women and children.
Is it in Nigeria that courts protect the women? U mean the documents take care of the children? So women who kill their husbands to inherit their wealth, take those to grave?
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 30, 2015
ferdimako:

Is it in Nigeria that courts protect the women? U mean the documents take care of the children? So women who kill their husbands to inherit their wealth, take those to grave?

Read Napoleone's comment. Like i said, if you are constantly cmplaining of women in general, DO NOT GET MARRIED.

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by fuckerholic(m): 9:36am On Mar 30, 2015
angelTI:

I honestly love you two.

Trad and court!
Gold diggers..lazy greedy mofos
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Emaprince: 9:41am On Mar 30, 2015
Alright sleekyshuga

The problem is that you'll hardly find a NIgerian woman who marries her love. What they do is to marry the richest stranger among their suitors. How many Nigerian girls will marry their current boyfriends? They will eventually dump these guys to marry a rich stranger who they have never met before. But because he's rich and ready for marriage, boyfriend who happens to be her real love can go to hell! Some may end up spending their rich hubby's money on their ex bfs. Now imagine when the law compells a man to share his wealth with the wife after divorce. In this situation, many girls will marry with the intention of breaking up after a few years and walk away with something they never worked for, and end up reuniting with their exes. 90% of our women are lazy and believes they can only live off men.

As for children involved...which man will not like his own children? You women are always making it seem as if men does not care for their children.

5 Likes

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Busuyib(f): 9:45am On Mar 30, 2015
Its d best. Mine was on 26th of jan, 2013. Ladies, guys won't be able 2 maltreat u anyhow. Dem no born am wel 2 marry 2nd wyf, cos if he try am na court straight.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:45am On Mar 30, 2015
Sophyrocks:

Read Napoleone's comment. Like i said, if you are constantly cmplaining of women in general, DO NOT GET MARRIED.
Do you believe him? Go and check if he's even married.. if he is..check if his wife is having all he listed.

Again, say the same thing to ladies that are expecting or begging to be married.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 30, 2015
Busuyib:
Its d best. Mine was on 26th of jan, 2013. Ladies, guys won't be able 2 maltreat u anyhow. Dem no born am wel 2 marry 2nd wyf, cos if he try am na court straight.
Gbenga Obasanjo wife?

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 30, 2015
Emaprince:
Alright sleekyshuga

The problem is that you'll hardly find a NIgerian woman who marries her love. What they do is to marry the richest stranger among their suitors. How many Nigerian girls will marry their current boyfriends? They will eventually dump these guys to marry a rich stranger who they have never met before. But because he's rich and ready for marriage, boyfriend who happens to be her real love can go to hell! Some may end up spending their rich hubby's money on their ex bfs. Now imagine when the law compells a man to share his wealth with the wife after divorce. In this situation, many girls will marry with the intention of breaking up after a few years and walk away with something they never worked for, and end up reuniting with their exes. 90% of our women are lazy and believes they can only live off men.

As for children involved...which man will not like his own children? You women are always making it seem as if men does not care for their children.
Great...that is how my friend will bring money to get his children something and the wife always tells the kids...she is the one that brought the money. These people!
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Emaprince: 9:55am On Mar 30, 2015

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 9:55am On Mar 30, 2015
Pple.. you must not go to the registry before u ask for a court decision. Nigerian courts don't even dig deep even...if it is for divorces and settlements.... go ask Americans. A nigga could come back with a gun.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Emaprince: 10:02am On Mar 30, 2015
Sophyrocks:

if all men decides not to get married, you'll weep!!
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:02am On Mar 30, 2015
ferdimako:

Do you believe him? Go and check if he's even married.. if he is..check if his wife is having all he listed.

Again, say the same thing to ladies that are expecting or begging to be married.

I do not give a damn about his status. His status has absolutely nothing to do with it. As long as he has said the bitter truth then i am good. You are not related or living with this dude so you cannot come here to beat chest about how his wife is treated. Not all men are selfish and barbaric. There are men still making their wives next f kin and heavens have fallen because of that. There are men who know and understand what marriage is about. those who dnt know will always accuse others who are different of pretending.

If you see all women to be killers, DONT GET MARRIED. Very simple.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Busuyib(f): 10:05am On Mar 30, 2015
ferdimako:

Gbenga Obasanjo wife?
na na. Proudly Mrs Adebusuyi Ololade. Shey U get?
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:05am On Mar 30, 2015
Emaprince:
if all men decides not to get married, you'll weep!!

We ladies wont care either. Since a lot of women eventually have kids in mind, adoption would be an option. Since men are contracting and will continue to contract statutory marriage you have no case here. Dnt get married if you see all women as killers. Carry your money to your grave.

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 30, 2015
Sophyrocks:

I do not give a damn about his status. His status has absolutely nothing to do with it. As long as he has said the bitter truth then i am good. You are not related or living with this dude so you cannot come here to beat chest about how his wife is treated. Not all men are selfish and barbaric. There are men who know and understand what marriage is about. those who dnt know will always accuse others who are different of pretending.

If you see all women to be killers, DONT GET MARRIED. Very simple.
until u find out..he is not one. guys say things u wanna hear...when u enter..u see the real them.... so why do women marry bad men?
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:10am On Mar 30, 2015
Sophyrocks:

We ladies wont care either. Since a lot of women eventually have kids in mind, adoption would be an option. Since men are contracting and will continue to contract statutory marriage you have no case here. Dnt get married if you see all women as killers. Carry your money to your grave.
u can't even convince ur sister...women marry rich strangers all the time.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by zibling(f): 10:12am On Mar 30, 2015
yes of course...i got married (traditional) Feb 2011 and did my court marriage Feb 2015...now i can legally say am married....better late than never...so i feel more secured
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:13am On Mar 30, 2015
ferdimako:

u can't even convince ur sister...women marry rich strangers all the time.

That is their business!! Any woman who wants to keep being f00lish deserves no sympathy from me when things get ugly for her. my comments are for reasonable ladies who know what they want and are wise.

1 Like

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 30, 2015
ferdimako:

until u find out..he is not one. guys say things u wanna hear...when u enter..u see the real them.... so why do women marry bad men?

My dear, pulling this stunt wont work on me. People have been and are still contracting statutory marriage. Pointing at that guy and coming up with baseless theories are a waste of your precious time. nothing you can do. Let f00lish women continue to marry bad men. None of my bizwaxxx.
Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Emaprince: 10:16am On Mar 30, 2015
Sophyrocks:

We ladies wont care either. Since a lot of women eventually have kids in mind, adoption would be a option. Since men are contracting and will continue to contract statutory marriage you have no case here. Dnt get married if you see all women as killers. Carry your money to your grave.
adoption? Lol...there's nothing like going through labour for your own kid. Not all women are killers my dear. But majority of our women does not marry who they loves but who has money. And that is the problem. As for going to grave with my money lmao..your blood dey boil o!..I'll give the world to my kids..my wife will be the happiest and most beautiful woman on earth..I won't divorce except if the woman is unfaithful. But then, women are the ones that goes to grave with their money because they don't spend it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 30, 2015
Busuyib:
na na. Proudly Mrs Adebusuyi Ololade. Shey U get?
u did not get me. Gbenga's wife has been listing all she wants and no court has granted her any. It is not by doing registry marriage oh...it is ur right to seek a redress if u are being wronged whether married or not. again u know only what he revealed but why do women marry strange rich men?....I think that is y d need for all this drama.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Life After Subsidy Removal - 8 Things To Help You / One Day, He Will Be Told To Choose Between His Girlfriend And Mother (Picture) / 13 Sentences You Will Never Hear From Nigerian Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.