Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,924 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? (10298 Views)

Our People Are So Bush And Uncultured...... Picture included / Why Do Nigerians Eat Bush Rat And Not House Rat? / Witness: Street Life In Lagos – A Film By Joe Loncraine [video] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Jarus(m): 12:23pm On Jan 22, 2009
Why is it that anybody that has not been to Lagos is seen as uncivilized?
During service year in Sokoto, a guy told us that he had never been to Lagos(He lives in Kaduna) and people were just telling him ''How is that possible?''
I can remember while growing up in Kwara too, I always dreamt of coming to Lagos. If you are not a Lagosian, you are seen as dull and unsmart. Even in university level @ Ife, some I had a room mate in year 1 that actually lived in Ibadan but used to lie he lived in Lagos. Isn't Ibadan presentable enough? Even those of us that lived in Kwara were able to tell people we were not Lagos-based. I don't know why people lie about that.
The story was not different even during my service year, as one Kaduna guy that told us he had never been to Lagos was looked down upon. When I was serving in Sokoto, the indigene-friends I made used to respect me because 'I be Lagos boy'. The principal of the village school I taught in during service year, a very close friend and ahumble hausa man, told me he had never been to Lagos and asked me questions about Lagos, that he heard in Lagos, people don't help another, you have to be sharp etc.
A female friend of mine from Niger state, an Archi grad of FUT Minna, also used to tell me about she feared Lagos, that she heard so many things about Lagos. So fearful of Lagos is this Nupe lady that she told me if she gets job in Lagos she wont take it.

So what's the fuss about Lagos?
Is Lagos that bad?
Is it true that if you have not been to or live in Lagos, you are not yet civilized?
Why do people respect/fear/feel inferior to anybody from Lagos?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by asha80(m): 4:59pm On Jan 22, 2009
Any person that says you are not civilized because you have not been to lagos or claims lagos when he or she does not stay there is having complex problems.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 22, 2009
'cause lag is the city of hustlaz grin grin

we go make dat money grin grin grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by osisi2(f): 7:18pm On Jan 22, 2009
In the north, those of them that went to Universities in the South are also better "respected"
The Lagos thing is so true.
That Lagos wey ghetto full everywhere. shocked shocked
I couldn't compare my neighborhood in Enugu or PH with the average neighborhood there.
I had cousins that lived in Ikoyi and a good area of Surulere and Ikeja back then.
Their places were very cool, I agree but there were also some cousins in Ojota and Ajegunle and those ones will be making making Lagos shakara to those of us in the east  at Christmas too[b] including those that spoke pidgin English as their first language[/b].
There's nothing we didn't see grin
na fly over we go chop? tongue
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Afam4eva(m): 7:23pm On Jan 22, 2009
That's a Nigerian Problem, we have a one city country, a situation whereby one place is far developed than the other, even England have the same problem. Whenever you think of England, the first place that comes to mind is London. People who travel to England always say they are going to london as if london is a country.

Why can't we be like America where everywhere is almost equal eqall in terms of opportunities. That's why you can't tell where a person is headed when the person is going to America. The person could be heading to New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, San Francisco, Baltimore, Seattle, washington DC etc.

1 Like

Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 22, 2009
when i served in yola you could get any girl you wanted simply by mentioning the fact that you live in Lagos. grin

A fellow corp member and i were trying to set up a class field trip with the first yr geog class and they all wanted to go to Lagos!!! That day was serious, the entire class was in an uproar, we wanted to visit a community in a neighboring local government but they wouldnt hear it . . . they just wanted to go to Lagos.

when we told them there were no trees in Lagos and they would likely have no place to stay as hotels are expensive . . . they wouldnt take no for an answer. grin Me and the guy laugh tire that day.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Afam4eva(m): 7:29pm On Jan 22, 2009
oyb:

'cause lag is the city of hustlaz grin grin

we go make dat money grin grin grin

How much have you made so far?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Ndipe(m): 9:48pm On Jan 22, 2009
Na true you write@jarus. Lagos is regarded as 2nd America to some people. My mom told me of a woman in my village who lodged in a hotel in Lagos during the Better Life for Rural Women programe. The woman came back and nacked my mother of her wonderful experiences in a hotel in Lagos. She was simply overwhelmed and impressed by the experience. So tay, she was nicknamed her "Mma Dekos". ; smiley

But as for me, growing up in Calabar and later on in the village, I was also intrigued with visiting Lagos, I no go lie. In high school, one guy sef, who lived in neighboring village used to lie that he lives in Lagos. But when I visited Lagos in 91, (first time since coming home from America), I was not that impressed. My brother was just showing me the scenery of the environment on the trip, and then mockingly say, those in the village get so carried away when they tell people that their daughters are in Lagos. No, I was not impressed, till today, I probably wont want to live there if I move back home.

@afam4eva, abeg, to some people, living in california, new york, is also considered as "Lagos" to some folks who live in the rural part of the south.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by DisGuy: 6:50pm On Jan 25, 2009
People taht have not been to or lived in Lagos are 'slower'- no be me talk am o!!

nothing beats naija stereotyping grin

hmm kwara just hoping da small town gets developed jo its still in the 70s!!!!
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by DisGuy: 7:01pm On Jan 25, 2009
afam4eva:

That's a Nigerian Problem, we have a one city country, a situation whereby one place is far developed than the other, even England have the same problem. Whenever you think of England, the first place that comes to mind is London. People who travel to England always say they are going to london as if london is a country.

Why can't we be like America where everywhere is almost equal eqall in terms of opportunities. That's why you can't tell where a person is headed when the person is going to America. The person could be heading to New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, San Francisco, Baltimore, Seattle, washington DC etc.

Capital cities usually have that effect, everyone is drawn to the opportunities big cities provide, and lagois in our own case has/had it all seaports, airport, diverse population, education etc

So tell ya governor to develop your area and stop living in abuja/lagos grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Dede1(m): 5:39am On Jan 26, 2009
Dis Guy:

Capital cities usually have that effect, everyone is drawn to the opportunities big cities provide, and lagois in our own case has/had it all seaports, airport, diverse population, education etc

So tell ya governor to develop your area and stop living in abuja/lagos grin

You had the correct point about the mystic of Lagos. The factor behind people looking up to Lagos is because it was once a nation’s capital. Currently, Abuja is drawing the same emotion. Even in USA, people look at the inhabitants of Washington, DC metropolis with considerable amount of envy.

However, you killed the joy of your piece with the unfortunate last sentence. Federal government of Nigeria built Lagos and Abuja not the state or the governor.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by spikedcylinder: 8:41am On Jan 26, 2009
Meanwhile, na hunger dey finish most people for Lagos! undecided
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:10am On Jan 27, 2009
Lol @ Spiked.

@ Post,
Lagos na naija london na (na so those villa peeps see am)
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Ndipe(m): 1:40am On Jan 27, 2009
Dede1:

You had the correct point about the mystic of Lagos. The factor behind people looking up to Lagos is because it was once a nation’s capital. Currently, Abuja is drawing the same emotion. Even in USA, people look at the inhabitants of Washington, DC metropolis with considerable amount of envy.
However, you killed the joy of your piece with the unfortunate last sentence. Federal government of Nigeria built Lagos and Abuja not the state or the governor.

Says who? Are you serious about DC residents being the 'considerable amount of envy' from others? Abeg where did you get that from? DC that is a drug haven, crime infested area?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 1:46am On Jan 27, 2009
Na this oyinbo in the title be the real proof of un-civilization tongue
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 1:48am On Jan 27, 2009
Ndipe:

Says who? Are you serious about DC residents being the 'considerable amount of envy' from others? Abeg where did you get that from? DC that is a drug haven, crime infested area?

Please tell him. DC ko. Marvel ni. 2 blocks away from the White House is the real DC. A drug haven with Aids infested hookers (men and women) and armed robbery

Jarus, I was born in Surulere but spent all the time when I was in Naija in Ibadan. I'd sooner defend Ibadan over Eko. Eko ko, Psycho ni.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 2:50am On Jan 27, 2009
Eko all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 3:05am On Jan 27, 2009
stillwater:

Eko all the wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. grin

Don't mind all those razz non-Lagosians. . . . . .

They are the ones that get scammed in Lagos.
I once heard the story of a villager who was charged for staring at a skyscraper.
Lagos all the way. Non-Lagosians are dumber. grin grin grin grin
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 3:11am On Jan 27, 2009
~Sauron~:

Don't mind all those razz non-Lagosians. . . . . .

They are the ones that get scammed.
I once heard the story of a villager who was charged for staring at a skyscraper.
Lagos all the way. Non-Lagosians are dumber. grin grin grin grin

You're not putting me in trouble today. Non Lagosians would soon come for your head. cheesy
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 3:13am On Jan 27, 2009
stillwater:

You're not putting me in trouble today. Non Lagosians would soon come for your head. cheesy

U mean non-Lagosians are on nairaland?? Cheese n Rice!!!
I cannot believe ISPs are in em remote areas of Nigeria.
What powers em?? Palm oil or Crude oil??
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 3:15am On Jan 27, 2009
~Sauron~:

U mean non-Lagosians are on nairaland?? Cheese n Rice!!!
I cannot believe ISPs are in em remote areas of Nigeria.
What powers em?? Palm oil or Crude oil??

Lol, you're crazy!!! What do you take Nigeria for?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 3:19am On Jan 27, 2009
Not Civilized??!! Bwahahahahaha!! Yeah okay. . . I can see why, After all we don't live in congestion, with everyone everywhere, We've missed out waking up to people yell at each other in the name of talking.

Oh what lovely sights those garbage hills as tall as the Eiffel Tower make and watching disobedience of traffic laws just says CIVILIZATION HERE. . . YOU BERRA RESPECT!!  cool

What's even more astonishing about Lagos, what every nonlagosian should beat themselves up for missing out is people having no respect for your personal space. . . Oh la la! Hubba Hubba!

My first visit ever to Lagos, I was ready to go back home after 2 hrs (we had not even made it to the Cousins' home yet). A few days after we got there, I went to Balogun Market with my Aunt and I almost passed out. How can you be outside and still need air??!! I went home with a bruised shoulder and the worst part. . . every time someone brushed past me, I said "I"m sorry". After the 20th "I'm sorry" and not getting anything in return, I had not choice but to heed my aunt's advice and stopped saying. She told me no one gave a rat's behind if you dropped dead. . . THAT would never happen in Kaduna. EVER!!

Getting on the plane back to KD was the happiest day of my life.  cheesy cheesy

Oh Yeah, how my heart aches because I missed out on Lagos' Brand of Civilization. cry cry
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 3:20am On Jan 27, 2009
stillwater:

Lol, you're crazy!!! What do you take Nigeria for?

I thunk Lagos n Abuja are the main places to visit in Nigeria.
Ibadan should be the 2nd largest city in Africa but it has to be the dirtiest.
Port Harcourt?? The Niger Delta boys have got the place locked down and it's no tourist attraction unless you are a war mercenary.
Where else?? Kaduna?? Rubbish. . . . . . . .Jos?? Religious war(Holy war Muslims versus Christians)!!!
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 3:21am On Jan 27, 2009
~Sauron~:

Port Harcourt?? The Niger Delta boys have got the place locked down and it's no tourist attraction unless you are a war mercenary.
Where else?? Kaduna?? Rubbish. . . . . . . .Jos?? Religious war(Holy war Muslims versus Christians)!!!

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Sauron1: 3:24am On Jan 27, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Don't be mad at me. . . . . . . . .I am just comparing everywhere i have been to Ikeja and trust me. . . . .Nothing compares.
Of course, there are ghettos everywhere. NY, LA, Lagos, London, Amsterdam, Berlin.
U would find undesirable elements everywhere. The clever-dumb balance or the the rich-poor balance must be maintained.
However, if we put the negatives n positives on a scale. . . . . .I think the positives outweigh the negatives in Lagos state.
Kaduna is too tacky for me liking.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 3:25am On Jan 27, 2009
~Sauron~:

Oh my, must you be so crass?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 3:28am On Jan 27, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Not Civilized??!! Bwahahahahaha!! Yeah okay. . . I can see why, After all we don't live in congestion, with everyone everywhere, We've missed out waking up to people yell at each other in the name of talking.

Oh what lovely sights those garbage hills as tall as the Eiffel Tower make and watching disobedience of traffic laws just says CIVILIZATION HERE. . . YOU BERRA RESPECT!! cool

What's even more astonishing about Lagos, what every nonlagosian should beat themselves up for missing out is people having no respect for your personal space. . . Oh la la! Hubba Hubba!

My first visit ever to Lagos, I was ready to go back home after 2 hrs (we had not even made it to the Cousins' home yet). A few days after we got there, I went to Balogun Market with my Aunt and I almost passed out. How can you be outside and still need air??!! I went home with a bruised shoulder and the worst part. . . every time someone brushed past me, I said "I"m sorry". After the 20th "I'm sorry" and not getting anything in return, I had not choice but to heed my aunt's advice and stopped saying. She told me no one gave a rat's behind if you dropped dead. . . THAT would never happen in Kaduna. EVER!!

Getting on the plane back to KD was the happiest day of my life. cheesy cheesy

Oh Yeah, how my heart aches because I missed out on Lagos' Brand of Civilization. cry cry

Lol. When in Rome, act like a Roman. I can't live any where else in Nigeria than Lagos. It's exciting tongue
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by KarmaMod(f): 3:30am On Jan 27, 2009
Oh what lovely sights those garbage hills as tall as the Eiffel Tower make and watching disobedience of traffic laws just says CIVILIZATION HERE. . . YOU BERRA RESPECT!! Cool

Lmao. Sisi you're crazy.

Sadly they've stopped sanitation so Lagos is pretty gross. It's sad really. Can someone tell me why the domestic airport looks better than international?
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 3:33am On Jan 27, 2009
sisi na bush girl. grin

Are there any ships or seaports in KD? Only mallams, rams and goats everywhere.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 3:37am On Jan 27, 2009
~Sauron~:

Don't be mad at me. . . . . . . . .I am just comparing everywhere i have been to Ikeja and trust me. . . . .Nothing compares.
Of course, there are ghettos everywhere. NY, LA, Lagos, London, Amsterdam, Berlin.
U would find undesirable elements everywhere. The clever-dumb balance or the the rich-poor balance must be maintained.
However, if we put the negatives n positives on a scale. . . . . .I think the positives outweigh the negatives in Lagos state.
Kaduna is too tacky for me liking.

Kaduna Tacky?? Alright have you really, really been to Lagos?? There is NO WAY anyone who has been to Lagos would consider Kaduna Tacky. I mean Lagos the Master of pretentiousness, the Alpha and Omega of Ostentatious, The land of name droppers, the dwelling place for uncouthness. . . Lagos the crowned prince of Tackiness!! Hail Lagos!!!! cheesy cheesy tongue

stillwater:

Lol. When in Rome, act like a Roman. I can't live any where else in Nigeria than Lagos. It's exciting tongue

That's what my mama told us when we were complaining and depression almost set in.  cheesy
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by SisiJinx: 3:40am On Jan 27, 2009
KarmaMod:

Lmao. Sisi you're crazy.

Sadly they've stopped sanitation so Lagos is pretty gross. It's sad really. Can someone tell me why the domestic airport looks better than international?

They have domestic Airport??!! The Int airport STINKS!!!!!! Jeeebus!!

davidylan:

sisi na bush girl. grin

Are there any ships or seaports in KD? Only mallams, rams and goats everywhere.

Lmao!! I ain't deny that I am a bush girl. . . and I'll gladly remain so if Lagos Civilization is the alternative. lipsrsealed

Leave our rams and goats alone ooh.
Re: Not Being To Lagos, a 'bush person'? by Nobody: 3:45am On Jan 27, 2009
Without Lagos KD would be another Niger Republic. Deal with it. grin
You should be very grateful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Argument: Are African Americans Their Own Ethnic Group? I Say Yes. / People Wey Sabi Write Pidgin: Make Una Show Una Skills / Do You Have An Accent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.