Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

My Body Discharges Electricity - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Body Discharges Electricity (42326 Views)

Nigerian Doctor Recovers, Discharges From Quarantine / Vaginal Discharges And What They Mean / Moving Object In My Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by smilingjee(m): 5:14pm On Sep 05, 2006
if none of the above worked then u're a mutant wink ELECRTRIC MAN

if u are then read this:

ARE YOU AN "ELECTRIC HUMAN" IN THE NIGERIA AREA?
As a nigerian resident, do you get doorknob sparks even in the summer? Zap your loved ones? Kill all computers, wristwatches and light-dimmers? If so, would you be interested in playing with different ways to stop your static charges problem? I have some ideas for cures, but no victims on which to experiment! If you live in nigeria , contact me at

smilingjee@yahoo.com cheesy
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by woleprof(m): 5:21pm On Sep 05, 2006
yes he is
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by doubletree(f): 5:42pm On Sep 05, 2006
grin grin, i like markesh's solution to our nepa problem
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by smilingjee(m): 6:04pm On Sep 05, 2006
smiley
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by Seye(m): 6:50pm On Sep 05, 2006
Thanks SMILINGJEE the information has been very helpful.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by dennylove(m): 8:23pm On Sep 05, 2006
your body discharges electricity!!!who come?okay make you try meet NEPA peoples,maybe them go get solution,them if use the current for your body supply peoples light.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by Oracle(m): 8:36pm On Sep 05, 2006
Well, it happens sometimes but when it gets serious there may be something wrong
and Seun might just be right.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by Roscodaddy(m): 9:17pm On Sep 05, 2006
wetin we no go see for nairaland,na wah oh
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by zebudaya(m): 9:53pm On Sep 05, 2006
go look for professor Xavier, and join the X-men. Help us get rid of area boys and scoundrels who knows you could be like magneto and control metal.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by nico(m): 10:52pm On Sep 05, 2006
@SMILINGJEE
thanks for your useful info
Hopefully I won't be trapped in elevators anymore
Or shock my poor suffering little dog.
I remember when I was 10, that was like 4 yrs ago
my mum refused to take me with her, when she was going to the grocery store
When I put my finger in the garage's door key hole, I short-circuited the door by accident
So had to call a cab and take me along with her.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by my2cents(m): 12:21am On Sep 06, 2006
This post is leaving me with a very weird feeling about you, Seye, very weird feeling tongue
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by miky(m): 3:17am On Sep 06, 2006
i had a friend that had that, except it was all his life, dude would walk up to people in the class and shock em for real it was crazy. it has to do with built up static electricity, the clothes you wear, most importantly is the way you walk. Stop dragging ur feet, try some running once in a while. change shoes periodically.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by globalaid(m): 9:18am On Sep 06, 2006
may be you are SANGO reincarnate lol
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by Awo4(m): 10:12am On Sep 06, 2006
May the force be with you. I guess undecided
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by tukur2002n(m): 12:21pm On Sep 06, 2006
Guyz is this really true? shocked shocked
'cos i was wondering when i read through all the article on the site here i am still confuse. well i think my science brothers have been analizing something about static electr. lets see how dat will help ok.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by smilingjee(m): 1:04pm On Sep 06, 2006
you're welcome nico and seye cheesy
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by twinkledew(f): 1:14pm On Sep 06, 2006
funny. do u guys get upset or frustrated at times.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by smilingjee(m): 1:25pm On Sep 06, 2006
sure lol, we;re humans
embarassed
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by Nutter(m): 2:20pm On Sep 06, 2006
"we the xmen wellcome you to our midst you are now a mutant.
i shall name you electroman
" – slimsikiru

cheesy Utterly Hilarious!

@Seye,

Please, can I be your friend? I have a few people I want you to hug tightly for me. Please!
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by Seye(m): 4:05pm On Sep 06, 2006
Send them to me online. I'll do the hugging from here. grin grin
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by dafman(m): 4:26pm On Sep 06, 2006
Does your TV come on when you touch the power cord?

Can it charge your phone? I mean the electricity from your body?
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by twinkledew(f): 4:28pm On Sep 06, 2006
lol. have got a poodle u can hug. grin grin grin grin
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by donjazzie(m): 7:55pm On Sep 06, 2006
bros are u sure your employment letter with NEPAis not ready(lol)
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by Nutter(m): 2:53pm On Sep 07, 2006
@Seye,

Thanks my brother. I knew you’d come through for me.

@Seun,

I have some money for you. Please see Seye for payment.

@ Seye,

Get ready mate!
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by gwatala(m): 2:16am On Sep 10, 2006
Na wahala be dis o. Seye, I suggest that you bid for the Nigerian government licence for Independent Power Generation. I'll be there for you, if only you won't hold my hand!

Btw, don't you guys see this as the most hilarious thread ever on Nairaland so far? grin
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by hawaiian(f): 2:24am On Sep 10, 2006
I THINK YOU NEED TO SEE THE MAN NAME "HOUSE"!!!! I THINK THAT YOU HAD TOUCH SOMETHING POWERFUL AND NOW YOU'RE NOT ABLE TO TOUCH ANYTHING THAT HAS POWER IN IT.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by Meedu(m): 2:21pm On Sep 10, 2006
0 boy! this is weird but i believe its possible. i watched a documentary once on national geographic bout a man in asia that powers electric devices like radio, touch lights, bulbs etc by mere contact with his body, try n get in touch with da nat geo maybe they'll help u.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by smilingjee(m): 12:44pm On Sep 21, 2006
Due to lots of email messages and lots of interest shown so far on this topic, i have some question and answer discussion which will go a long way solving most of our problems on people who discharges static electricity.

this will be tagged:

[center]STATIC ADVICE[/center][b][/b]

Sensitive to electromagnetic fields
Question
August 17, 2006
Hi there,
I just bought a new IMac computer. After using it for a few days, the room it is in has become enveloped in static. The floor is carpeted and I have a TV is the same room. It is uncomfortable to be in here for a long time because I feel it on the floor, under the desk and in me. An electrician came over a assured me that all outlets were grounded. After using the computer at work today I felt the same itchy, sparky feeling. I'm keeping the AC on all day as instructed. I'm eager to hear your suggestions. The desk vibrates to the touch, is this normal? I also called Apple and they couldn't find a problem.
Thankyou,
- USA
Answer
Some people can become very sensitive to static electricity and to electromagnetic fields. If there is an excess build-up of static electricity, you would be receiving shocks when you touch metal objects like the doorknobs.

To reduce any static charges in the room, add some humidity in the air. Plants do a good job and can make your environment more soothing. Also, try to avoid wearing clothes make of synthetic materials. Cotton and wool clothes reduce static effects from dry skin.

Since the problem seemed to start with the iMac, try sitting in the room with the computer off and the TV off. If you have fluorescent lights, turn them off too. Then try turning on each one by itself to see if you experience the problem.

The problem at work is probably an extension of the problem at home. Once you start noticing things, you notice it more in other places.

There is an ailment where people become hypersensitive to electromagnetic fields. Surprisingly, sometimes it is caused by stuffy conditions in a room and stress. Try to relieve those items too, if you can.

You might have to do some experimenting to find ways to reduce and eliminate the problem. Above all, don't try to focus on it, because then you start to notice things more than ever.

I hope these ideas help. Best wishes on getting back to normal.

What precautions should be taking with computer?
Question
June 23, 2006
I live in Southern California where there is the relative humidity not real low. When I work on my home computer what are considered "standard" ESD precautions?
Chris - USA
Answer
If you are suddenly getting shocks from touching doorknobs or other people, it is wise to be careful with your computer and ground yourself on some metal object before turning on the computer or using the keyboard.

But such is situation of excess charges is rare for most people in Southern California. You really don't need to take any precautions unless you are opening the computer and handling the components.

Shoes have rubber soles and cause shocks
Question
June 15, 2006
All my shoes have rubber soles and I get desperate shocks when I wear them is their anything I can do to these shoes, can I spray the soles or rub something on the soles as I cannot afford to replace them all.
Thanks
Joan - Ireland
Answer
If you are walking on linoleum or polyester rugs, the soles of the shoes can build up static electricity. But often the culpret is the material of your clothes rubbing on dry skin. Clothes made of synthetic materials cause more static build-up than all cotton or all wool clothes. Make sure it isn't your clothes that is causing the problem. Also check your socks.

If the soles of your shoes are the problem, there really isn't much to do to stop the problem, except to try to drain off charges by touching metal with a ring or key.

I hope that helps solve this nasty problem.

Can dryer sheets kept in your pockets help?
Question
May 18, 2006
Can dryer sheets kept in your pockets help with shocks on fingers. I get shocks all the time when I get out of my car and open a door to a store.

It is really annoying. I would appreciate any help. Thank you
Jay - Canada
Answer
Those sheets put a layer on the clothes to prevent the build-up of charges. But they probably won't help your problem. Look to the source of the charges you are getting. It is usually the materials in you clothes rubbing against dry skin. Also, it can be the rubbing of your clothes on your car seats.

Look at our Reader Feedback to see a number of suggested solutions.

Microfibre blanket causing extra static sparks
Question
May 8, 2006
I have a new microfibre blanket and used it once, what a light show! I then washed it using a lot of Fleecy in the rinse, but it is still staticy, though not as bad. Can I ever solve the problem, or should I get rid of the blanket? Thanks, Liz
Liz Eisler - Canada
Answer
I'm not surprised that microfibre would cause a lot of static electricity.
Perhaps a cotton sheet would protect you from the blanket building up static. Also, I guess if the flashes don't shock or bother you, there is no harm.

Taking a bath during lightning
Question
April 26, 2006
If there is lightning and you are at home can you be shocked while you are taking a bath? if so how does the lightning get to you while you are in the bath, does it go through the window?
Lelo - South Africa
Answer
The biggest problem would be if the lightning struck the house and the electricity went through the pipes to the bathtub. Although the chances of your house being hit by lightning is very low, it probably isn't a good idea to take a bath during a thunder storm. Lightning aims at the highest points. It would not go through the window.

What causes spontaneous combustion of a person?
Question
April 26, 2006
What causes a person to spontaneously combust? is it something that you can prevent?
Lerato - South Africa
Answer
The only things that really exhibit spontaneous combustion are piles of wet hay and materials mixed with petroleum products. Even then, it is rare.

There have been a few reports of people suddenly bursting into flames, but those were many years ago. They probably were false reports. I have never heard of someone actually bursting into flames with spontaneous combustion during my lifetime.

Has excessive charges that dim lights
Question
April 25, 2006
Hi there,
I'm glad a found a forum/website that deals with this issue. For about the last 2 years I've been plagued by static, at least thats what I think it is. the problem is whenever I'm in a room, lightbulbs start to flicker and dim, blow and sometimes my pc reboots itself?? I get shocks the odd time when touching metal and getting out of the car, and I can even see small sparks when taking off my clothes sometimes. It's really beginning to annoy me and I don't know what to do. It's being getting worse the few weeks, when I'm at home, 2 bulbs blew when I walked into the room, another flouresent bulb located beside my computer blew and straight after the computer rebooted?? there is a Surge protector connected and theres no metal frames on the desk. On occasion a street lambs have dim and gone off, a good few times, I don't know if its conidcidence or not. Any advice of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

James Grandfield
James - IRELAND
Answer
Some people seem more prone to getting or generating static electricity than others. You seem to be doing an exceptional job at it.

One reason may be body chemistry, which is hard to change. Another source of building up a charge is if you have dry skin and wear clothes with synthetic fibers. The skin rubbing on the fibers creates the charges. You might try some sort of skin moisturizer and avoiding any clothes that are not 100% cotton or wool. This includes underwear and socks.

In the room with the PC, try to increase the humidity. Often having plants will put more moisture in the air and reduce static electricity. Try touching metal objects with a ring or key to discharge yourself. You may have to do this often as a habit.

Hopefully, these procedures will reduce the problem.

Experimenting with shocks getting out of the car
Question
April 19, 2006
Hi,
I have a major static problem with getting on and off my car. I did an experiment by getting on my car for only a fraction of a second, and found that I got shocked with the same high amount of electricity shock. I tried not touching the car when getting off, then touch the garage metal post which gave me the shock also. To eliminate the problem, I put my palm (not 1 or 2 fingers) on the metal parts of the car body when stepping out of the car.
My question is why the shock only happen when I am out of the car sit and standing on the ground?
Ken

Ken - USA
Answer
That was an interesting experiment. Simply sliding in or out of the car puts enough charges in your body to give you a shock if you touch some metal. But if you are touching metal such as your car while sliding out, the charges pass through you into the metal of the car. The same thing would happen if you could hold onto the garage post while sliding out.

Try putting a wool blanket on your car seat. That should reduce the static electricity you get.

Getting shocks on electric buggy
Question
April 14, 2006
I use an electric buggy as I have mobility problems, but get an electric shock when I touch people, or any metal objects. Have you any suggestions as to how I can stop this?
Jacky - UK
Answer
You could cause some static electricity from shifting around in your seat. Although I don't think that is the cause, try sitting on a wool blanket to see if that helps.

Most likely, the cause of the static electricity comes from the wheels rubbing on the ground. Also, if the driving mechanism is a rubber wheel rubbing on your main wheels, that could be a cause. A grounding strap attached to your buggy and dragging on the ground may work. Trucks carrying fuel often use such straps.

If all else fails, try to touch other metal objects with a key or even metal thimble to drain off charges.

I hope these ideas help.

What does I.C. in I.C. Lotion represents?
Question
April 10, 2006
What does I.C. in I.C. Lotion represents? I am an ESD Trainer & one of my students asked me what this is meant. Can you please help me?
Geraldine - USA
Answer
I.C. Lotion is a trademarked name for antistatic and cleanroom hand lotions. I believe it is made by R&R Lotion Company. I haven't seen any explanation of what the I.C. stands for.

Problem with static electricity all year round
Question
April 7, 2006
I have a big problem with static electricity all year round. I get shocks from lots of things, especially the car and items in supermarkets and large shopping centre escalators. Recently, I'm having a big problem with my hair. I always use conditioner and hair spray, but it keeps sticking to the right side of my face with a "creepy" feeling. It also affects my eyes when it's really bad. Please advise.
- England
Answer
Some people seem more prone to static electricity than others. If you have dry skin and where clothes made of synthetic materials, you may get more shocks than normal. Try skin moisturizer and all cotton or wool clothes, including underwear.

When sliding out of the car, your clothes run against your skin, but they also rub on the car seat. Sometimes a wool blanket on the car seat will stop those shocks.

The new ionizer hair dryer with a ceramic heater is just great for getting rid of fly-away hair and static electricity. They are relatively inexpensive, although they are heavier to handle.

I hope these ideas help.

Getting shocked in the rain versus when dry
Question
March 10, 2006
If lighning happens in the rain, why do we get shocked by static electricity when it's dry?
- USA
Answer
Static electricity works the best in dry weather when charges can easily collect on surfaces. In a rainstorm, there is such a tremendous amount of friction caused by the motion of the raindrops that the static electricity builds up, despite the high humidity.

Use Downey and water to stop static
Question
March 3, 2006
I also agree with another person if you fill a spray bottle with 1/8 cup of downey and fill the rest of the bottle with water you will enlimate all the static from your house and office. I have been cleaning offices and homes for 25 years. this method works wonderfuly and is low cost. It also works in cars, just spray the seats with a lite mist. Let dry no more static.
Linda - USA
Answer
Thanks for the tip. We'll post your idea for others to see.

Something that worked for me
Question
March 1, 2006
I am glad to have found this site with many people who have experienced the same problem as myself. For years I have been dreading getting shocks, from handshakes (what about a visit to your doctor when it is -20 C outside and you have to sit on a plastic chair? Or meeting someone in winter in a building with floors covered with synthetic carpets?), door knobs, other people's skins, cats, water, etc, I even got a shock from a salad in a store and from milk in the kitchen! But the worst of all is the electricity building by sitting on the synthetic fabric of the car seat. Then you step out of the car (no need to say, I never touch the car door but close it by pushing the window part) and you have to open a store door with metallic handles.

I found a cure for this. I just installed an all-cotton bedspread on the car seat, and can feel a big difference (I actually can feel whether I am charged or not). It helps a lot! I would recommend this to people who get shocks by getting out of their cars. Also, shoes are really important. Cheap shoes have rubber soles or synthetic soles and produce a lot of static. Just buy good quality shoes and avoid all sporting shoes if you don't want to get shocks!
Marie - Canada
Answer
Thanks for the tips. Dry skin and synthetic fibers are the main culprits. It is good to wear 100% cotton or wool clothes to help stop the shocks. A metal thimble on a finger with which to touch metal things can help.

Nothing seems to work
Question
February 22, 2006
To whoever is out there, it does not matter what I wear, or what I touch before shock in winter! I wear medical cotton scrubs and sneakers all year round! I walk on the same rugs, use the same moisturizer, touch the same things?? So what's up with that? No change in sheets, no nothing. I try to touch my SUV with an elbow before i actually pull the "platcis" handle and still "usually" get a shock. Even though they are expected, it still makes me uncomfortable. I do use dryer sheets year round, so that makes no difference. Suggestions It is not life threatening, but people look at you quite funny when you tap a door and cringe from a shock or no shock, like what the hell is she doing?? Ya know what I mean? K HELP IF YOU CAN! PS I can deal with all off these things, but I can not subject my cats to torment , so please help, they try their best not to turn away and tolerate the shock they know is coming. What good sports, eh?
Kate - USA
Answer
In our Reader Feedback, a person stated: "Regarding people getting shocked by routine, daily activities, I have found a correlation between diet and shocks. When I do not eat enough protein and/or fat, I notice that I am more apt to getting shocks."

I'm not sure if this works for everyone or not, but it is an interesting observation. I know that some people seem to have a body chemistry that makes them more prone to collecting static electricity.

One suggestion is to put a metal thimble on a finger that you can use to touch metal objects. It will at least prevent your fingers from getting zapped.

It is difficult to remember to drain off excess charges before touching pets.

Daughter gets zapping pain
Question
February 16, 2006
Hi, I have just found this site and think its very informative. Please help as I am not sure of what my daughter is going through, the last few days, after playing outside she will come in and say she is in pain with what she describes as a "zapping pain", could this be shocks. It is mainly in her legs and she does play on the trampoline.This feeling comes and goes for her for sometimes 24hrs is this normal?I am starting to get worried.
Jason and Michaela - Australia
Answer
Usually a person will get a shock after getting off the trampoline and when she touches something, especially metal. But that might give a painful zap, but it probably would be on the hand. It isn't a pain that lasts long, so I wonder if you daughter is having some other problem. Since it comes and goes for 24 hours, it sounds more like some ailment. It might be worth having a doctor check her, if this happens again.

Diet and stress may be factors in shocks
Question
February 12, 2006
Regarding people getting shocked by routine, daily activities, I have found a correlation between diet and shocks. When I do not eat enough protein and/or fat, I notice that I am more apt to getting shocks. I believe this happens because my diet is out of balance (ph is too alkaline). When I get back to eating a more balanced diet, I find this helps out a lot. Also try reducing life stress through excercise, prayer and meditiation. Lastly, the humidity factor is very real. Make sure that you're environment is not too dry. Improve air quality with a humidifier, house plants and fresh air.
Fred - USA
Answer
Thanks for your observations. I know that some people seem much more prevalent to getting shocks than others under the same conditions. Diet and stress may certainly be issues. We will look into those areas more to see what the correlation is.

What can I do to stop electricity shocks?
Question
February 11, 2006
i am writing you because i am very cecern about ELECTRICITY SHOCKS
I GO IN TO THE STORE I CANT SHOP EVERY THING I TOUCH I GET SHOCK
IT IS A EVERY DAY THING FOR ME COULD YOU PLEASE SEND SOME things
on what i can do to stop this electricity shocks thank you.
jewell - USA
Answer
Look at our Reader Feedback on the page to see advice given to other people.

Try to wear 100% cotton or wool clothes and use a skin moisturizer to reduce building up charges. Touch metal object with a key, ring or thimble to drain off charges and prevent getting zapped.

Gets a shock when taking a shower
Question
February 11, 2006
Shock in the shower.
I have always got and given electric shocks in normal room situations, getting in and out of the car etc. but recently I've started getting quite a big jolt from the metal bits on my shower head and pipe while the water is running. I've had the shower checked out by an electrician and he said it was fine and couldn't get any shock at all from it. It must be me. I find it quite frightening now. Water and electricity do not mix! I've read all the other letters and obviously,in this situation, moisturiser, humidity and synthetic fibres don't have a part in it. Have you got any ideas what I can do to alleviate this? It's getting to be quite painful if I accidentally touch the pipe while I'm in the shower cubicle.
Many thanks
Linda - United Kingdom
Answer
The static electric shock that you would get in the shower is not dangerous as would be a shock from your standard household current. Static electricity is on the surface of your skin, while an AC shock travels through your body.

But still, such a shock certainly is an unexpected event. You probably had built up a good charge and touching the metal discharged it. Although running water can build up a charge, usually it is a very small amount.

Look at reducing the amount of shocks you get normally. Don't forget that rubbing on certain materials can cause charges to collect on your skin. You probably should touch the metal part of the shower head with a key or ring before you start your shower. Hopefully, that will discharge you and prevent any other shocks when you shower.

Will boiling water reduce static?
Question
February 10, 2006
If I boil water on my stove and let it simmer will that get rid of the static electricity in my house?
Diane - USA
Answer
Increasing humidity in your house in the winter months will help reduce static electricity. House plants can help. A humidifier is less trouble than boiling water. Air dry your dishes and other items.

I hope these ideas help.

Seeing psychologist about getting shocks
Question
February 7, 2006
hi,
i have been having a lot of phsycological problems due to the fact of getting shocked by metal objects. i am now even seeing a phsycologist to try and see what he can do, but i feel hopeless and i have constant fears and dreads of dry weather. i live in o.c. california and it isnt too bad, managable because of the ocean, but overall pretty dry weather especially w/the desert winds, but i fear even visiting my grandparents who live in arizona just cuz i hold so much hate for desert dry climates. i always ground myself and it becomes an obsession, but is there a device i can wear like a metal bracelet or something made to totally eliminate the static electricity from metal objects?
mike - USA
Answer
I know when the Santa Ana winds come, it can get pretty dry in Southern California. First all all take some steps to reduce the chances of getting shocks. Try wearing 100% cotton clothes, including socks and underwear. If you have dry skin, rub on a skin moisturizer. Then get in the habit of touching metal with a metal object. You can use an inexpensive ring, a key or put a thimble on a finger. In this way, you have greater control over the situation. Any shocks you receive will be trivial and probably due to forgetting to get rid of excess charges.

Dell mouse very poor
Question
January 30, 2006
Thank you ,
Just received my new computer from Dell and I suppose the quality of the mouse that comes with the system is , shall we say , not very expensive , and I have just today ordered my fourth mouse because I have " fried " three of them from walking through my house , coming back to the PC , touching the mouse and zapping it. I know better after the second mouse , to ground myself on the metal touchpad on my circuit board before touching the mouse , but , I usually forget.
This would be getting expensive if Dell wasn't nice enough to keep replacing them under my warranty. They have been very good about it.
Just wanted to share my experience. Ohh yes , the Microsoft Optical mouse I bought weeks ago stays intact and working even with the static discharge.

Thanks , Richard in Albuquerque
- USA
Answer
The mouse I received from Dell was dead-on-arrival. Dell has good computers, but they have missed the boat on the type of mouse they send. After called their support, I just gave up and used my old Microsoft mouse.

I'm surprised that you had problems with static electricity with your mouse, since it is primarily a mechanical device.

Afraid to shock deaf granddaughter
Question
January 29, 2006
Since we moved to our house in Verdi, NV at 4800' elevation, I have been plagued by shocks, when I touch the light switches, water out of the faucet, the metal on my computer chair, the shelf at the supermarket, and sometimes my husband. It is very dry here, my nose is so dry it is sore inside. I use alot of lotion and have even been putting neosportin in my nose. I have a deaf granddaughter who has a cochlear implant. She has to take it off when playing on the playground and on anything plastic so she won't get shocked. I'm so afraid that when she comes to visit I will hurt her just by touching her. What can I do??
Mary Jo - USA
Answer
Try to avoid wearing clothes made of polyester or other synthetic materials. Instead wear 100% cotton or wool. This includes underwear. Polyester rubbing against dry skin can really cause the static electricity, especially in a dry climate.

Growing plants in the house can increase the inside humidity. Also, you might try a humidifier. If your nose is getting dry and sore from the dry air, it can result in health problems.

It might be good to check with your granddaughter's doctor about the risks to her implant from static shocks, just to make sure you take the right precautions.

In general, adding humidity in your house is worthwhile. Also, experiment with wearing cotton clothes to see how much that helps.

Gets shocks from kissing children
Question
January 29, 2006
Thank you so much for your advice i get shocks from door handles ,kissing my children ,touching plants and turning on lights and so many other household things also when im in shops it gets very embarrasing as the pain makes me scream out and i give shocks to anyone i touch,iv tried touching wood and walls and this helps with most things i think your right it is worse in the winter.
bernadette - UK
Answer
Touching metal with something metal in your hand such as a key, ring or thimble can draw off the current and prevent shocks. If you have dry skin, moisturizer will help. Also wearing 100% cotton or wool clothes can stop the static charges. Polyester fibers rubbing on dry skin is a major source of static electricity.

Computer reboots from shocks
Question
January 28, 2006
My problem is related. When I get up from my chair at my computer and go into the kitchen 9about 6') and rub against a chair with metal frame, or bruch against the chain from ceiling fan, or tough the refregator or some other things, my computer reboots. Things on the same side of the room but not the other side. My electricity outlet is wired correctly and I have added a second ground wire from computer case to ground at elect. outlet but that does not help. Tried using a humidifier, but no help. Static jumps from 'ME' to metal. Static guard on computer chair help a little, going without shoes helps a little. Computer is sitting on concrete block with a block of wood under computer. I live in Denver. This has been going on for 8 months or longer.
Do you have any suggestions to help me stop this problem? I have had a computer shop check computer for loose connections but nothing. Did not happen at their shop. I need to do something as this can not be good for computer. Can you give suggestions? Please!!!!!!
James - USA
Answer
I can see where you might get a shock or shoot a spark from touching a metal object, but I'm surprised the spark affected your computer and caused it to reboot. Do you have a surge protector between the outlet and your computer? You can get an inexpensive one that may stop the problem if a surge of electricity is somehow going up the line.

If your chair is a source, you might try covering the seating surface with a 100% wool or cotton blanket. Don't use anything with synthetic fibers. Likewise, if you're wearing polyester slacks, that may be the problem if you also have very dry skin.

I hope these ideas help.

If the humidity is low, does temperature matter?
Question
January 20, 2006
Is it just as easy to get shocked in a hot and dry location as it is from a cold and dry location? In other words, if the humidity is low, does temperature matter?
Sherri - USA
Answer
When the temperature is warm, more water can be absorbed in the air than when the temperature is cold. Thus, even at the same relative humidity, there is more water in warm air and thus static electricity doesn't work as well. But still, you can get shocks on a warm, dry day.

Shocks hurting her hands and feet
Question
January 19, 2006
I STAND ON A METAL DECK AT WORK. I PULL BLANKETS OFF CAR PARTS AND GET SHOCKED, CONSTANTLY. IT IS FAST PACED AND I TRIED STANDING ON A RUBBER MAT, NO HELP. I WEAR THIN, RUBBER SOLED SHOES, NO HELP. IS THIS HARMING ME? IT SURE HURTS MY HANDS AND FEET. YOU CAN HEAR THE POPPING ALL AROUND ME! THANKS, FOR ANY ADVICE!!!
SHARON - USA
Answer
When the blankets are pulled off the car parts, they create the static charge. You could try a grounding strap that goes around your wrist and is attached to some metal part. You probably can get one at Radio Shack. Also, try putting a metal thimble on a finger to touch metal parts and drain off the charge. But I'm not sure how well these ideas will work.

If you are getting shocks all the time, such that it hurts your hands and feet, it is not good for you and may cause nerve damage in the long run. Is your company aware of the problem of getting shocks? It almost seems like an OSHA issue that they should take care of.

If you can't stop the shocks, it might be a good idea to look around for a different job. Best wishes in solving your problem.

Uses Downy Fabric Softener to stop static
Question
January 15, 2006
We have a problem with static electricity in the house, where we work with computers. What I found to help is Downey (Fabric Softner). Using a half a cap full with about one quart of water in a spray bottle and srpaying the carpet gets rid of the problem. Sometimes this solution will last a week. Other times we may have to spray twice a week and it is cheap in consideration of other methods.
Ben - USA
Answer
Thanks for the information on how you help solve the problem. I'm sure it will be useful for other readers.

Gets shocks from water our of tap
Question
January 9, 2006
Your site has been helpful. I get shocks when I touch almost anything during the winter. But I have not seen any mention of this- I get shocks from water out of the tap. This is quite scary. What can I do or is this some other problem?
Philip - USA
Answer
Water conducts some electricity, especially if it has some minerals in it. The sparks can't harm you, but can be annoying. Touch the metal faucet first and you shouldn't get a shock from the water.

Does electrostatic air filter add static to the air?
Question
January 8, 2006
Can an electrostatic air filter cause the air to become "electric"? causing excessive static electricity in a home? If so what can be done to reduce this?
- USA
Answer
Electrostatic air filters ionize the nearby air, giving dust and pollution a slight charge, so that they will stick to the terminals. In some room ionizers, you can actually smell an ozone smell. That means there are more charges in the air and can cause excessive static electricity.

If your furnace has an electrostatic air filter, it probably doesn't contribute too much more static electricity in the house. In the winter, it often helps to have an air humidifier to make the air less dry. This greatly reduces the static electricity. Also, have plants add humidity in the air.

Sparks fly when getting out of car
Question
January 8, 2006
I drive a new Nissas Sunny and am based in Dubai UAE. I have been shocked very often in fact daily while exiting the car. Sparks literally fly even when anyone touches me. I have stopped even locking the car door and drop the key on the car seat for someone else to lock the door.
Please let me have a quick and easy solution if possible. I never had this problem with my old Nissan Sunny car
Mike - UAE
Answer
The climate is very dry where you live, so that increases the possibility of static electricity. Synthetic materials are often a cause of static electricity, especially when they rub on the skin. Wearing cotton clothes (and underwear) can help reduce the shocks. Also, your car seats are probably made of synthetic materials or clothes. You can try putting a cotton or wool blanket on the seat.

When you get out of the car, touch some metal part of the car with your key. That should drain off electricity from you. Some keys have plastic handles, so make sure you are touching the metal part of the key.

I hope these ideas help.

Using metal object still results in spark
Question
December 23, 2005
I agree with most of what you said except using a metal object like a key to stop static. many times I have been holding a coin and it touched metal and sparked.
Jason - USA
Answer
The idea of using a metal object to touch things is not to stop the spark but to stop the shock or zap you get on your finger when a spark jumps from it. Holding onto a key saves your finger from the spark.

Salon has bad static problem
Question
December 16, 2005
I own a salon and I am having some issues with static, Hopefully you can help. I live in the desert, an are where there is little to no moisture in the air. The static is awful here.It is so bad that when we sweep the hair off the floor it sticks on the walls, the outside of the trash can, and the shelves. Also my clients hair stands straight up. I am wondering if I need a humidifier or something. Please help
Sincerely,
EmilySalon
Emily - USA
Answer
Add some plants to your shop. That will help add some moisture in the air and look nice too. You could also add a humidifier. I've seen one that looks like a small fountain and can almost be a decoration.

I hope these ideas help.

Shorting out Playstation
Question
December 9, 2005
I just recently moved from California to New Mexico. In the last month I have had two Playstation game consoles short out when I turn them on. Albuquerque is a very cold and dry place plus my skin is terminally dry. While I can use moisturizer and try to ground myself before touching any electronics is there anything else I can to to avoid shorting out my electrical equipment?
Adam - USA
Answer
Putting plants in the room will help raise the moisture level. Touching some metal before you touch the Playstation will drain off excess charges.

You might even wear an anti-static wrist strap before turing on the Playstation and when using it. I believe you can buy such a strap at Radio Shack.

Where can I obtain anti-static spray
Question
December 3, 2005
Please could you tell me where (in England!) I can obtain any sort of spray to help prevent static on my clothes - specifically a new pair of trousers which cling so badly after just a few minutes' wear that I have given up wearing them.
Prudence - UK
Answer
There should be anti-static spray in the supermarket or grocery store near the detergents. Also, there are small sheets of material that can be put in the dryer to both soften the clothes and reduce static.

One thing to try is to rub the trousers with a metal clothes hanger. Often that will pull off the static charges.

Shocked by almost everything I touch
Question
December 1, 2005
Hi, I have a question related to the static shock subject. Not only do I get shocked by almost everything I touch, but the rings I wear that are pure gold, pure silver, and metal are all tarnishing turning my fingers blckish-green in that area and I have drained the batteries of every single watch I've owned and borrowed for a couple years now. I have heard from a small handful of people I've talked to that it has to do with my body's electicity. Would you happen to know any info on this? Thank You!
Veronica - USA
Answer
One possibility is that you have very dry skin and are wearing clothes with synthetic fibers. Try a skin moisturizer and wear only cotton or wool clothing.

Gold should not tarnish, but silver does. Silver tarnish is black and any jewlery with copper can put dark-green on your fingers.

Try using an inexpensive ring, key or metal thimble to touch things and drain off excess charges from your body.

I hope those ideas help with this irritating problem.

Do hearing aid batteries pose a danger?
Question
November 18, 2005
Thanks so much for this shocking forum! It's nice to know that I'm not alone. I still remember the pain in my young son's eyes when I kissed him on the nose long ago and snick! shocked him. Another time my hairdresser put a plastic cap on my head and drew strands of hair through it before treatment. He spun me around to the mirror and I saw every hair standing on end. I looked like I was at a science exhibit, touching a static ball. I remarked that he must see that all the time. He stared at me and said he had NEVER seen anyone's hair do that before. It's getting to the season when I have to defuse myself before hugging or kissing my family. I'll try the key tip.

I wear hearing aids which contain batteries. At gas pumps, there are warnings about batteries and sparks. Is that because of static electricity? Are hearing aid batteries just as dangerous as any other kind in that situation?
Stephanie - USA
Answer
The warnings at the pumps only concern static electricity. Your hearing aid batteries pose no danger of sparks.

You might try some of the methods suggested to reduce your static electricity, like skin moisturizer, avoiding synthetic fibers in clothes and using a key or thimble to drain of excess static.

Does being pregnant increase shocks?
Question
November 17, 2005
Okay I recently found out that I am pregnant and now everytime I touch metal I get shocked. Ex. my car door, my door to my office. Is this just a coincidence, or is it something to do with being pregnant?
Krystle - USA
Answer
The shocks happen more often in dry fall or winter weather. Wearing clothes with synthetic fibers also cause the problem. But a main reason for shocks is dry skin. Usually when a women becomes pregnant her skin blooms and seems healthier. It then becomes dry after having the baby. But still, you can check to see if your skin seems more dry than usual.

Also, use a key, ring or metal thimble to touch metal things and minimize getting zapped.

I hope that helps and best wishes with your new baby.

Is a lack of minerals a cause for shocks?
Question
November 16, 2005
i dread colder weather because of the static shock.i have tried all of the solutions and they help some. i also use a lot of fabric softener. i heard something about it could be a lack of some kind of mineral in your system. any comments on this?
virginia - USA
Answer
Dry skin and synthetic fabrics in clothes are the major culprits. Wearing cotton or wool can reduce the shocks. Touch metal with a key, ring or thimble to prevent sparks.

Some people seem more prone to static electricity than others. I haven't heard that a lack of some minerals in the body could be a cause. I don't think there has even been a study on that. It is a possibility, though.

Hospital has static problem
Question
October 4, 2005
I have just read your web site on static electricity. I work in a private hospital, when I touch anything metal, even pick things off the carpet I get shocks. I find it very distressing when undressing residents as I get static from there clothes hence giving them shocks plus myself. I have taken to wearing gloves for this task which has helped but does not look professional. As I have to wash my hands several times I hesitantly turn taps on but then get shocks off the water. I have read about the 'key' could I touch the residents first with this to overcome static? Is it any kind of key like a door key, locker key etc? I also get shocks off other nurses and vice versa. several nurses experience static, and as health and safety oficer they have asked me if there is something they can do. I appreciate your reply. Thanks Davina New Zealand
Davina - New Zealand
Answer
Try putting a metal thimble on one finger to use to touch metal objects and even the patients. The spark should jump off and not shock you. Also touching metal with a ring can to the same thing, but it can tarnish the ring.

I've heard of these "keys" but am not sure how effective they are.

Try wearing all cotton or wool clothes and avoid synthetic materials. Also, you probably have dry skin, so try a moisturizer.

The air in the hospital also could be too dry, resulting in more static electricity. Also a too-dry climate can lead to more respiratory problems among the patients.

Static electricity can be a nuisance. I hope these ideas help.

Get shocked at Wal-Mart
Question
September 17, 2005
I cannot go to any Walmart Super Centers because I get shocked when i touch everything in the store. I even get shocked when I am holding on to the shopping cart. I don't understand this because this does not happen anywhere else. What can I do?
- USA
Answer
The wheels on their carts build up a charge. But also the soles of your shows may build up charges from their floors. Put a metal thimble on your finger when you shop at Wal-Mart. Touch things with the thimble--especialy anything metal--before you pick them up. That should eliminate or reduce any shocks.

Shocks young daughter in car seat
Question
September 13, 2005
I am glad I "googled" my most annoying problem in cool weather and found this site! I get shocks from door knobs and the worst kinds from touching shopping carts. I fear the drop box at blockbuster as I am sure to get a shock whatever the weather is. I feel ridiculous as I hesitate in front of doors before bracing myself for the shock. I dont know if this is sheer co-incidence or if this really works- but I have found that if I touch my thumbnail to the offending metal object first for a second, and then touch the object itself, I am less likely to get a shock. Also I carry one of my daughter's washcloth which is made of soft cotton and whip it out to use it like a glove (I dont like to wear gloves no matter how cold the weather) to open scary doors. People may think that I am simply germphobic, and honestly, I dont care too much about what people think as long as I can avoid a shock. My most annoying shock is when I try to get my daughter ( she is 2 years old now) out of her car seat and we both get a shock! She is least suspecting and reaches out with such love, and I feel sorry for both of us. Then I console myself- it could be worse!
Lisa M - USA
Answer
Moisturizing your skin and wearing 100% cotton or wool clothes may help. Dry skin and synthetic materials in clothes are a major cause of static shocks.

Putting a thimble on a finger to touch metal objects first will prevent you from getting a shock. You can also use a metal key or wear an old ring to touch things.

Most cars have seats made of synthetic materials, so sliding out can build up a charge. Before you get your daughter out of her car seat, touch a metal part of the car seat or something in the car first. Using a metal object like a key will eliminate your shock too.

I hope those ideas help. It is an annoying problem.

Got several nasty shocks
Question
April 21, 2005
I have just read your web page regarding static electicity shocks. I have had a problem with static electricity for as long as I can remember, whenever I go anywhere and touch metal objects. However, today I had the biggest shock that I have ever had and decided to research it.
The shock that I had today was sitting in the sun at my patio table (which is made from plastic). I dropped a pencil and went to pick it up and managed to get a large shock from the concrete (which i didnt know was possible), but this was not an unusual shock. I walked away from the table and stood next to it, as my dog ran past me the shock shot down my arm, causing me alot of pain in it and jumped into the dog, which i saw her jump and she yelped a little, and then it must have jumped from her into a metal cage i have in the garden which seemed as if it was pushed slightly, though neither myself or the dog were near enough to touch it.
I wanted to ask if this is the kind of thing that has happened often or not as it felt more like I had put my fingers in the 240V socket on the wall. I can seem to get shocks from anything and everything and find it hard to ground myself sometimes without getting a shock and I am unsure what else I can do now except live with the fact that I may get several large shocks in my lifetime.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Dan - UK
Answer
It certainly sounds like you had some nasty shocks.

People with higher levels of sodium in their blood or with slightly acidic blood can get more shocks that those with a more basic or alkaline blood level. Some of that has to do with diet. Drinking more water also helps sometimes.

Dry skin rubbing on plastics and synthetic materials in clothing is another major cause of excess static electricity. But on a warm day, perspiration can build on your skin, and that is a great conductor of electricity.

Try to carry a key or use an inexpensive ring and remember to touch metal objects with the key or ring to drain off the excess charges.

I hope those ideas help.

Shocks on trampoline
Question
April 17, 2005
Reading the lesson it started with "Little girl gets shocked while on trampoline” but it never explained how to solve that problem. I love getting on the trampoline but I hate the series of continuous shocks that it delivers. This doesn't affect just one person, and person that gets on my trampoline suffers from this. How do I solve this problem? I appriciate any help you may offer.
James - USA
Answer
It is a difficult problem to solve. Experimenting with various shoes or socks may help reduce the shocks. The trampoline manufacturers should have a solution or provide some assistance in this matter.

Best wishes in reducing the shocks.

Getting shocks all the time
Question
January 28, 2005
Hello, I have a serious problem, with getting shocks all the time no matter what, I dont even have to have clothes on, And still get shocked, Even out side in the store. I dony even have to get up and walk in the house or outside I still get zapped, And sometimes they hurt alot, I need help and information on what to do, I use a fabric softener sheets for the laundry, And can I really ground myself from getting shocks, Will appreciate any help I can get on this matter, Please help, Thank You
Gladys - USA
Answer
You probably have dry skin which builds up charges. You can use a moisturizer on your skin and avoid clothes with synthetic materials--including underwear. Try to wear 100% cotton or wool clothes. Those should reduce the buildup of charges.

Also, you might have to get in the habit of touching metal objects with a key or inexpensive ring to drain off the excess charges. Touching with the key before touching object will prevent shocks.

I hope this helps in solving your problem.

Has fear of touching metal due to shocks
Question
January 11, 2005
HI, I HAVE A HORRIBLE FEAR OF TOUCHING ANYTHING THAT IS METAL. I GET SHOCKED JUST ABOUT ANYTIME I TOUCH METAL. IT REALLY AFFECTS THE WAY I FUNCTION. I'M ALWAYS SO PARANOID ABOUT IT. I WEAR MOSTLY COTTON, AND I PUT LOTION ON EVERY DAY. WHAT DO YOU THINK ARE THE BEST TYPES OF SHOES TO WEAR? I HAVE TO TRY AND DO AS MUCH AS I CAN TO AVOID BEING SHOCKED. ALSO, DO YOU THINK HYPNOTHERAPY WOULD HELP WITH MY FEAR? I'M SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT IT. GETTING SHOCKED REALLY DRIVES ME NUTS! PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
WANI - USA
Answer
Getting shocked repeatedly from static electricity can really be disturbing. Some people seem more prone to shocks than others.

Try to avoid synthetic materials in your clothes altogether. This includes undergarments. You can experiment with different types of shoes to see if it makes a difference.

Wear an inexpensive ring to touch metal objects before touching them with your hands. Or use a metal key. Touching non-metal objects first can sometimes drain off the static.

Best wishes in controlling this problem.

Gets shocks when getting off trampoline
Question
July 24, 2004
Every time i bounce on my garden trampoline i get a massive shock off the metal when i try to get off . I sometimes grab near by leaves and this seems to nullify the effect but is there anything i can do to completely uncharge myself? like put some kind of pole in the ground to touch or something. also when there is two of us bouncing and we make contact with each other we get a shock as well. any advice?

very informative site by the way!
many thanks.
Anthony - England
Answer
Different type of shoes might help some. If you touch the metal supports with a key or other piece of metal first, it will drain off the electricity.

Tip to reduce static shocks
Question
July 4, 2004
Hi, I'd just like to share a small tip to help avoid electric shocks when getting out of a car. I have found that by touching a metal part of the car (e.g. door) and remain touching the metal until I am completely out of the car, greatly reduces and/or eliminates electric shocks. Alternatively, if I don't use this technique, then I will touch a metal part of the car first with a key after exiting the vehicle. Try it, this really works!!
Adrian - Australia

I live with constant shocks
Question
June 30, 2004
I live with constant shocks. I get zapped when I get in and out of cars. I cannot wear most fabrics as they get static as soon as I put them on. I could not use a satin quilt on my bed as the sparks annoyed even my husband! I have used anti-static sprays, but they only last about 1/2 hour. My hair is canstantly static. My 4 children know not to touch me whne we are walking as they will get zapped, and I cannot tell you how many small appliances I have blown up just by using them. Is there any solution, or am I going to have to deal with this all my life?? I have tried most of the solutions suggested, all to no avail! Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Dianna.
Dianna - Australia
Answer
Some people just have a body chemistry or something that causes them to be so electrically charged. It is not fun, but you can try to reduce the problem.

Your skin is probably dry and prone to building up charges. Skin moisturizer and wearing only cotton or wool clothes should help. Even your underwear and stockings should not be made of synthetic materials. Try to keep your home environment more humid. A number of plants often will help raise the humidity.

Being aware of the problem and trying to ground yourself often can cut down the shocks.

I hope these ideas help.

Arm got numb after shock
Question
June 6, 2004
Hi,your site has been most helpful. This may be a long e-mail but I need HELP!
I work in a major factory. I drive a fork-lift. I recently (last Thurs.) received a major static electricity shock at work. My fork-lift was not properly grounded and I was building up static electricity. My metal antenna fell down from it's assigned post (it was wired to electric forklift frame with a plastic wire harness). When I reached for the radio, I touched the metal rod antenna and received a nasty shock.Maintenance properly grounded my lift and bolted radio antenna to avoid situation. My right hand went numb for 2 days. Please, I am not asking for medical advice! But, I do not have a private physician at the moment and the nurse at work has been no help. If i get off my forklift,When should I use a thimble? Should I touch the thimble to metal racks to avoid getting shocks? Would wearing rubber gloves help? Thanks for your time: Robin PS i hope my question this wasn/t too long
Robin - USA
Answer
That sounds like a nasty shock for your arm to go numb. I'm wondering if it was an electrical wiring and grounding problem (AC or DC current) that caused the problem and not static electricity. But whatever the case, the management of your factory should be made aware of such a potential hazard. The company could have some serious problems if someone was seriously injured from a shock.

The idea of the thimble was to avoid getting stung by the spark coming off your finger. I'm not sure if your numbness came from a spark or current going up your arm. It depends on the type of shock you received.

If you have received small shocks from static electricity, using the thimble to touch something metal like the racks should drain off the excess charges.

I hope that helps. Let me know how things work out.

I get shocked all the time
Question
April 13, 2004
Hello. I get shocked all the time. Even if I brush up against the wall at work. Someone suggested spraying static guard, which does help. I spray everything. It does wear off. I even get shocked in a car that has leather seats. Any helpful hints would be wonderful!
Karen - USA
Answer
You may have dry skin and are wearing clothes made of synthetic fabrics. Cotton or wool clothes often reduces much of the problem. Also, skin moisturizer can help.

Gets shocks in office
Question
March 18, 2004
In our office, we feels shock whenever we touches the edge of cubicals, and floor is covered with carpet. Sometimes when we touches a person with one or two finger we feel the shock and we are forced back. Our office is fully covered. No natural air. It is fully air-conditioned. I can understand this is due to the dry weather. But what can we do to avoid this.

Could you please explain me how can I tell this to others and also the prevention measures that we can follow.

Rgds
Maheswari - INDIA
Answer
If they allow it, you can add some plants to the office area. They add some humdity to the air, plus often remove pollution. A humidifier in the office could also help.

Note that the fact that people are getting shocks can be expensive to management, since a spark may damage a computer. They should be aware of the potential damage.

At times when there are shocks, you can touch something metal with a key or ring to drain off the charges. Sometimes touching non-metal materials will take some charges away.

It is a problem. Best wishes in solving it.

Gets extreme shocks
Question
March 11, 2004
hi there, i get shocked all the time, weather i am getting out of a car and touch the door to close it, or simply coming from the outside to the indoors and touch something metal. i have had to take time off work after being shocked at the workplace, i lost feeling in my left arm for a day or two. i am constantly bothered by shocks, and it's not just the little ones, its big ones that have knocked me to the ground, i don't know why i have been so badly injured from shocks. i am literally afraid to be around high voltage equipment for the sake of my life. this has been bothering me since i was a little kid. i am twenty-one and i am afraid to be around metal objects, i have been so badly hurt in my lifetime. please send me a reply, i am very serious about this. thank you very much
Keith - Canada
Answer
Some people seem to be more prone to getting shocks than others. You seem to really get the work-over. You will have to experiment somewhat to find out what works for you.

One major reason could be dry skin rubbing against clothes made of synthetic material. Try some moisturizer lotion on your skin and wearing clothes that are 100% cotton and/or wool. No polyester--even your underwear and socks.

Also check your shoes. Some types of soles can cause a build-up o static when rubbed on a rug.

Finally, have the habit of using a ring or key to touch metal objects to drain off any excess charges. Sometimes touching nonmetal materials can reduce the charge, but the best is metal on metal.

I hope those ideas help. I know it is a pain in more ways than one. Let me know how things work out.

Getting shocks from Honda van seats
Question
March 9, 2004
Regarding static electricity shocks from my car - I live in south florida - not known for dry climate, this never happended in my other vehicles, only my new honda odyssey van - I have tried touching the door frame with my key, but the base of the key is rubber and that doesn't help. I wear sneakers, no help; I wear cotton twill pants, jeans - nothing.
any other suggestions as this is not only annoying, but uncomfortable.
Thanks
Cris - USA
Answer
The car seats are usually a polyester material. You could try putting a blanket over the seat. Or since you live in a warm climate, get one of those seat covers to keep you cool. Most auto parts stores sell them.

Also, get a full metal key on your key ring to use to short out the static.

Getting shocked near new computer
Question
March 1, 2004
Dear Sir/Madam:

I have always been highly affected by static electricity, like getting shocked stepping out of the car. But recently I got another problem which had never happened before. After having typed something in front of my computer for less than 5 minutes at home, I will get shocked even when touching water. I am thinking if this is connected to my newly-bought LCD monitor, optical mouse or even the new keyboard. I am very much annoyed by this experience and even do not dare touch anything.

Looking forward to your help. Thank you very very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Bo - AUSTRALIA
Answer
Be careful with static electricity around your computer, because it can do some damage. The monitor, mouse and keyboard are probably not the problem.

It is possible that you had built up a charge before sitting down. But it also could be your clothes rubbing against the chair. Try putting a blanket on the chair. Also check your shoes rubbing on the floor.

If you have been getting shocks a lot, your skin is probably dry. Also, wearing synthetic materials on dry skin can really build up the charges.

Finally, if you keep getting shocks around you computer, you might get a grounding strap to put on your wrist.

I hope these ideas help.

Shocking family after work
Question
February 17, 2004
I recently started working in an office with about 15 computers in it. I have noticed lately that I have getting home from work and shocking my children and just about everything I touch. Just tonight I went to give my husband a kiss and a blue spark shit from my nose to his face. It has me worried. I have always had too much acid in my system, could this be causing something weird? This is not the first time I have been around many computers at once, but this is the first time I have noticed this problem. I am also worried about getting gas in my car, as I know it is dangerous. Please give me some insight on this matter.
Stephanie - USA
Answer
Acid in your system should have nothing to do with this problem. Also, it is unlikely the computers are the problem. Dry winter weather causes more static electricity to occur. If you skin is dry and you wear clothes made of synthetic materials, you can create the charge. Since this happens at home, your humidity may be too low in the house.

Try to touch the doorknob or something metal with a key before you touch other things. Wearing cotton or wool clothes can help. Also, see if your shoes are building up the charge, when you walk across the rug.

Gets serious zap at cold temperature
Question
January 31, 2004
i was at work at a hydro generating plant -20below dry floors igot out of truck first and the big guy went first through the entrance door walked about 50 feet hung my coat up without touching nothing yet went around the front of my metal tool box on plastic castors . i reached out with my right hand to check my drawers and zap this jolt knocked me back about a foot or so excrucionating pai in forearm and shoulder for about 10 seconds a few days later my arm was bruised how many volts did i get
carl - Canada
Answer
That must have been some shock. The voltage in a static spark is very high, but it is unusual to have so much current to really jolt a person.

With the very dry air at the low temperature, you may have built up quite a charge. Taking off your coat or other movement may have built up the charge in you. It might be a good idea to touch the truck with your key once you get out to drain off any charges built up form sliding out. Also use the key to touch something metal before you start working.

The metal key will shoot the spark and you should not feel the zap. Hold the metal part of the key, if it has a plastic cap.

Received a shock while using headset
Question
January 24, 2004
I received a shock while using headset speaking to customer on the phone, It went into my face causing swelling to my face, bruising and has left me very sensitive to noise, earaches and a "ringing" in my ear. I need to find out how this could have happened as well as why. The phone went completely dead and could not be used again. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I am having difficulty at work and I have seen numerous doctors who have no idea how to treat this or why it happened. I have been told also this could not have happened. Getting very difficult to cope with this. Thank you for any help you can provide.
JC - USA
Answer
That sounds like quite a shock. I hope you will have a speedy recovery.

I doubt the problem was static build-up, because the headset was already on you. I am assuming you hadn't been getting shocks when you touched a doorknob or such that day. Also, a static shock wcould sting, but it wouldn't cause that type of damage.

The voltage and current in a telephone line is fairly low and would not give you a shock. But if there was some short circuit with 110V and the telephone line, you could have been za
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by rajindia: 7:51am On Oct 17, 2006
I too have the same problem . My body also discharging electricity, if I am sitting in front of the computer for some times shocked
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by yuki23: 2:51am On Feb 03, 2007
Hi! I just read what the person wrote about to much electric in the persons body and i am experianceing exact same thing im scared to touch my switch cause i blew the light befor.and i touch the nob and get eltric shock now my fingure tips are red and burned a lil not enough to notice hardly but i still feel it.so i kno this is no jokeing matter im trying to discover what this is caused from cause i do feel it badly so is there any explination from this or anything thanx very much.
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by robby1(m): 2:52am On Apr 26, 2007
Man dont mind them. You have a rarae mutant power. You have to go see professor Xavier. i am sure he will enroll and teach you how to manage your super powers to the benefit of the universe. who knows, you migth be the "chosen one". and i guess Dr. Xavier will call you Electrostatic. its a nice name. trust me wink
Re: My Body Discharges Electricity by ne4real(f): 10:43am On May 08, 2007
if i were u, i'll thank god 'cos electricity can't shock u again. rather, u'll be the one shocking electricity.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How I Survived Ebola - Survivor Speaks / Simple Ways To Stay Healthy And Prevent Awful Vaginal Discharge / Boy Almost Drowned While Swimming With His Girlfriend In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 259
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.