Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,378 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

Kenya President Suspends 170 Senior Officials For Corruption Chages - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya President Suspends 170 Senior Officials For Corruption Chages (1230 Views)

Nigerian Election Officials Observing The US Presidential Election / Woman Catches Husband With Lady In Hotel In Kenya(video/pics) / 170 People Hostage In Mali, At Radisson Blu Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kenya President Suspends 170 Senior Officials For Corruption Chages by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 30, 2015
Courtesy of MorrisaMkenya , who sent me the link

Kenyan president on 26-03-2015, Uhuru Kenyatta delivered a riveting State of the Nation Address in the National Assembly Thursday. This is a constitutional duty that the president has to address citizens about the state of the nation, and what is the progress of the economy, security and anything of interest to kenyans,

In the speech, he apologized on behalf of all previous governments and his government, for all the wrongs and mistreatment and miscarriege of justice of citizens (especially the Kenyan-somalis) who were massacred during the shifta-war in the 70s known as the wagalla massacre. also during the 2007-2008 post election violence in which some deaths were caused by police officers who shot at rioting youths.

However, the controversial part during his speech was when he made available a confidential report , to parliament. the report by the Kenya EACC -ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission, mentions names of senoir govenment officials, who have been seriously mentioned in corruption deals that the public are not aware about, the president gave the report to parliament to disclose all the names of those mentioned, the president also ordered all officials regardless of rank from the executive side, to step aside for investigationsn by the EACC, this included ministers, and so far 27% of the cabinate has steped asside as they were mentioned in the report, the president also said he hoped that all the other arms of government (Judiciary and Legislature) of whom have been mentioned to also do the same to step aside (it should be noted that the president does not have powers over the legislature or judiciary so he cannot force the other two arms of govt).

here is part of his speech:

State of the Nation Address, Thursday June 26, 2015, Parliament Chambers, Nairobi

Mr. Deputy President,
Speakers of Parliament,
Members of Parliament,
The Chief Justice and Members of the Supreme Court,
Members of the Diplomatic Corps,
Fellow Kenyans,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

1. Today, for the second time, and in line with my constitutional obligation, I address this special sitting of Parliament, to outline the State of the Nation in relation to our values and principles of governance, as elaborated in Article 10; the state of our nation’s security, as provided for in Article 240; and our status in fulfilling our international treaty obligations, under Article 132 of our constitution.

2. As we approach my second anniversary as President, I am pleased to report that the state of our Nation is strong. Our economy is growing robustly. Our nation is more secure, and our place in the community of nations is respected.

3. In the year under review, we, as a nation, have continued to deepen our democracy and the Rule of Law. Public participation in governance has grown at all levels, while institutional measures to secure the basic rights and freedoms of our people continue to take root. The year has been laced with robust debates, and sometimes even strong differences of opinion, between and within various levels and arms of government. This is a profound reaffirmation of our democratic ideals.

4. Nonetheless, exercising these rights and privileges demands from each one of us, particularly us leaders, to remain conscious of our patriotic duty to nurture a united nation.

Fellow Kenyans,

5. With a GDP of USD 53.3 billion with GDP per capita at USD 1,246, Kenya has attained middle-income status. We are also one of the African economies that can boast a diversified and balanced economy.

6. Today, Kenya is one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Despite sluggish global growth, our economy is steadily expanding at 6 percent, consolidating our position as the largest non-mineral driven economy in Sub-Saharan Africa ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................................................................................
84. The time has come to bring closure to this painful past. …. The time has come to allow ourselves the full benefit of a cohesive, unified and confident Kenya, as we claim our future.

My Brothers and Sisters …

85. To move forward as one nation … I stand before you today on my own behalf, that of my government and all past governments, to offer the sincere apology of the Government of the Republic of Kenya to all our compatriots for all past wrongs…

86. I seek your forgiveness and may God give us the Grace to draw on the lessons of this history… to unite as a people and, together … embrace our future as one people and one nation…

87. In moving forward to complete the noble work of building our nation, we are reminded of the fundamental principles upon which our prosperity will be built. Our national anthem calls us to reflect on the power of peace; to recall the supreme value of freedom; to believe, once more, in the beauty of service and brotherhood; to aspire each day to the dignity that results from hard work, and to contend for the hope that justice brings.

Fellow Kenyans, Honourable Members, Ladies and Gentlemen,

[quote]100. Three weeks ago, I issued Executive Order Number Six (6) on Ethics and Integrity in the Public Service. In it, I directed any civil servants to get in touch with my Office should they receive any pressure to engage in unethical or illegal conduct regardless of the status of person pressuring them to do so. I want to reiterate this personal commitment, which is also provided for in the Constitution.

101. The latest report I have received from the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission contains a catalogue of allegations of high-level corruption touching on all arms and levels of Government. It is the view of the CEO of the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission that the institution and especially its Secretariat are under siege because of the nature of the cases they are currently investigating. I know that Parliament is seized of this matter and urge them to deal with it expeditiously.

(a) Today, I take the extra-ordinary step of attaching the afore-mentioned confidential report from the CEO of the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission as an annex to my annual report on Values to Parliament.
(b) Consequently, I hereby direct that all Officials of the National and County governments that are adversely mentioned in this report, whether you are a Cabinet Secretary, Principal Secretary, or Chief Executive of a state institution, to immediately step aside pending conclusion of the investigations of the allegations against them. I expect the other arms of Government, namely the Legislature and the Judiciary, to do the same.
(c) The investigating authority must ensure that the Director of Public Prosecutions has received the subject files without delay.
(d) I also want to caution that this should not be an open-ended process, justice must be expeditious, as justice delayed is justice denied. Therefore, this exercise should be concluded within the next 60 days.

(e) Let me reiterate that it is not my place to determine the guilt or otherwise of any of the people mentioned in the said report or any other. However, the time has come to send a strong signal to the country that my administration will accept nothing less than the highest standard of integrity from those that hold high office.

Full speech here http://m.news24.com/kenya/MyNews24/Full-State-of-the-Nation-address-by-president-Uhuru-Kenyatta-20150326

So following that address to the nation, Senior government officials, one by one begun to pack

[b]President Uhuru Kenyatta has suspended cabinet secretaries named in a report by Ethics and Ant-Corruption Commission.

President Kenyatta appointed other cabinet secretaries to oversee the dockets of the suspended CSs as they are investigated.

State House spokesperson Manoah Esipisu said the principal secretaries and other State officers named in the EACC list have also been asked to step aside.

Mr Esipisu said the President has instructed the board of parastatals whose heads appear in the dossier to appoint other chief executives to act pending the investigations.

The suspended cabinet secretaries are Felix Kosgey (Agriculture), Davis Chirchir (Energy), Michael Kamau (Transport) and Kazungu Kambi (Labour).

The president appointed Industrialisation CS Adan Mohammed to take over the Agriculture docket while Henry Rotich of National Treasury will be in charge of Energy.

Mr Kambi’s Labour ministry will be headed by Raychelle Omamo of Defence while Health CS James Macharia will be in charge of Eng Kamau's Transport docket.[/b] http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Uhuru-cracks-whip-cabinet-secretaries--graft-list/-/1056/2668448/-/f0otq4/-/index.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/29/us-kenya-corruption-idUSKBN0MP0NZ20150329

pic from a Kenyan caartoonist

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kenya President Suspends 170 Senior Officials For Corruption Chages by EZEUDENE(m): 9:46am On Mar 30, 2015
our next president should emulate from him
Re: Kenya President Suspends 170 Senior Officials For Corruption Chages by Nobody: 11:17am On Mar 30, 2015
http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2015/03/tobiko-cid-and-eacc-form-team-to-probe-uhuru-list/

NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 30 – A multi-agency taskforce has been constituted to determine the way forward on the corruption probes against public officials whose names appear on a list authored by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) and presented in Parliament by President Uhuru Kenyatta.

The taskforce comprises persons from the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) as well as EACC officials who have been handling the cases until now.

The taskforce was set up during a meeting held between the Director of Public Prosecutions and the EACC Chief Executive Halakhe Waqo on Monday morning in response to President Kenyatta’s 60-day deadline for the conclusion of the investigations into public officials who include five Cabinet Secretaries.

“The investigating authority must ensure that the Director of Public Prosecutions has received the subject files without delay,” President Kenyatta directed when he presented the confidential EACC report including their names to Parliament on Thursday.
In a press statement sent to newsrooms on Monday, Waqo said majority of the cases were at an advanced stage or concluded.

On Thursday, as part of his second State of the Nation Address, President Kenyatta asked the public officials named in the report to step aside for two months so as not to interfere with investigations and so far all five of the Cabinet Secretaries named have heeded the directive.
President Kenyatta has also insisted that Governors under investigation too must resign irrespective of their elective positions.

READ: Uhuru tells governors being elected not a right to loot

The county heads who include Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero and the Council of Governors Chairman Isaac Ruto have however declined to do so denying any knowledge of being under investigation.

Also required to step aside by President Kenyatta for investigations were six principal secretaries and several parastatal heads of whom the following have complied:

Mr. Francis Kimemia, Secretary to the Cabinet.
Mr. Mutea Iringo, Principal Secretary for Defence.
Mr. Nduva Muli, Principal Secretary State Department of Transport.
Mr. Patrick Omutia, Principal Secretary for Mining.
Mr. James Teko, Principal Secretary State Department of Water.
Ms. Marianne Kittany, Chief of Staff in the Office of the Deputy President.
Ms. Esther Koimet, the Investment Secretary, National Treasury.
Ambassador Jane Waikenda, Deputy Head of Mission, Kenya Embassy South Africa.
Mr. Patrick Osero, Chairman Agricultural Finance Corporation
Dr. Silas Simiyu, Managing Director, Geothermal Development Company
Mr. Richard Langat, Managing Trustee NSSF
Mr. Evans Ngibuini, Acting Chief Executive, National Water Conservation and Pipeline Corporation
Mr. Alex Kabuga, Chief Executive, Kentrade
Ms. Lucy Mbugua, Managing Director, Kenya Airports Authority
Mr. Charles Tonui, Managing Director, Kenya Pipeline Corporation
Mr. Allan Chenane, Chief Executive, Tourism Fund/Catering Levy Trustee
The full list of those public officials under investigation by the EACC as submitted by President Kenyatta -– including members of the Legislature — is expected to come up for debate in Parliament on Tuesday.

(1) (Reply)

Medina Explosion: Suicide Bombing Near Saudi Holy Site / The World’s Strangest Airplanes That You Won’t Want To Fly On / Putin Wins... Ukraine Officially Admits The Failure Of The Counterattack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.