Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,988 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed (692 Views)

I’m Happy I Witnessed The Killing Of My Parents-– Ademulegun's Daughter / 2015 Presidential Elections: The Voice Of Man, Prophecies Or Guess Work / Jega Must Conduct 2015 Elections- The Punch Newpapers Editorial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by cchukwutec: 5:48pm On Mar 30, 2015
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has described the presidential and National Assembly elections as the most vicious, unprincipled, vulgar and violent he had ever witnessed.

In an interview with The Guardian UK on Sunday, he was quoted as saying,

“We’re talking about a very positive response by the public in terms of determination to register and vote but, you know, this has been one of the most vicious, unprincipled, vulgar and violent exercises I have ever witnessed.I just hope we won’t go down as being the incorrigible giant of Africa.

“This one was like a no-holds-barred kind of election, especially, frankly, from the incumbency side. One shouldn’t be too surprised anyway given the kind of people who are manning the barricades for the incumbent candidate.

“Most expensive, most prodigal, wasteful, senseless, I mean really insensitive in terms of what people live on in this country.

“This was the real naira-dollar extravaganza, spent on just subverting, shall we say, the natural choices of people. Just money instead of argument, instead of position statements.

“And of course the sponsoring of violence in various places, in addition to this festive atmosphere in which every corner, every pillar, every electric pole is adorned with one candidate or the other, many of them in poses which remind one of Nollywood.”

Soyinka, who told The Guardian how he was recently invited by President Goodluck Jonathan to discuss various issues, said

, “We even discussed life after power, whenever that takes place.

“It was difficult for me to decide from his side how readily he might accept defeat. He absolutely swore that if he lost he was going back to Otuoke village. If I take him literally, I think he will accept the result, but I’ve learned never to trust any politician from here to there, even if they’re just coming out of communion. So I really don’t know.
http://cchukwutec..com
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by DWJOBScom(m): 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2015
well said - it made a lot of politicians lose their cool and gave themselves away to terrible speeches and uncensored words..........
We got involved too and didn't spare ourselves too

I hope we fix this up after the real result
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by UrennaNkoli(f): 5:51pm On Mar 30, 2015
This is getting interesting.
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by sankky: 5:53pm On Mar 30, 2015
Very true !!

We cant wait to see Abians massively voting for LP (comrade Emeka Oti Mba) while expectedly rejecting the money-for-vote capitalist ccalled Alex Oti. PDP is dead in Abia for now.
Abians are gonna be the wisest voters come April 11th

Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by oakson: 5:54pm On Mar 30, 2015
UrennaNkoli:
This is getting interesting.
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by Bloomyloo: 5:57pm On Mar 30, 2015
Baba calm down and be transformed....Leave spoken grammar okay?!!

GEJ till BuBu turns suya vendor
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by eHustler(m): 5:59pm On Mar 30, 2015
oga soyin na true talk!
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by olaric(m): 6:01pm On Mar 30, 2015
No election since I became wise as a man has gulped more money than this one. Why should they be spending money recklessly without considering the harm they are causing the nation? Governance in Nigeria has stooped so low as a result of the charlatans manning or holding various posts in both federal and state levels. The South-South had their chance to fix this country, and they allowed a Jonathan and a Patience to mess things up.
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by rastamouse: 6:03pm On Mar 30, 2015
Sorry good ol' professor...the world has moved on since ur days
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by chymystique(f): 6:04pm On Mar 30, 2015
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by dunkem21(m): 6:04pm On Mar 30, 2015
I would have respected you more if you had talked about the electoral process without being biassed.

How many Nigerians was disenfranchised?

Was the elections, credible?

These are areas you would have commented on ..

..Prof!
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by Vivly(f): 6:17pm On Mar 30, 2015
but I’ve learned never to trust any
politician from here to there, even if they’re
just coming out of communion.
So I really
don’t know.
Soyinka is also a comedian...
Just that he hasn't realized it yet.
Re: Wole Soyinka: 2015 Elections The Most Expensive, Vicious, Vulgar I’ve Witnessed by Young03(m): 6:42pm On Mar 30, 2015
I no understand ds man self
na who he de support?

(1) (Reply)

..... / What Do You Think Should Be Buhari's Priorities? / Do You Know This About BOLA TINUBU????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.