Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,313 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat (28967 Views)

Jonathan Congratulates Ghana President Mahama For Conceding Defeat / Cameron Praises Nigeria’s Anti-Corruption Fight / Obama Praises Buhari At Nuclear Summit In Washington (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by DaPhilosopher(m): 2:02pm On Apr 01, 2015
US President Barack Obama praised Nigerian
President Goodluck Jonathan on Wednesday for
conceding defeat in an election that he said showed
“Nigeria’s commitment to democratic principles.”
“President Jonathan has placed his country’s
interests first by conceding the election and
congratulating president-elect (Muhammadu)
Buhari on his victory,” Obama said in a White House
statement. Buhari won the election by 2.57 million
votes official results showed Wednesday, defeating
incumbent Jonathan in a close fought race.

“I look forward to working with President Jonathan
throughout the remainder of his term, and I thank
him for his many years of service and his
statesmanlike conduct at this critical juncture,”
Obama said. With dissatisfaction rife over insecurity
and corruption and the economy faltering as oil
revenues dive, voters turned out in force sensing an
unprecedented opportunity for change in the
weekend election.

“The last few days have shown the world the
strength of Nigeria’s commitment to democratic
principles,” Obama said. “By turning out in large
numbers and sometimes waiting all day to cast
their votes, Nigerians came together to decide the
future of their country peacefully.” After an often
bitter campaign that included highly charged rhetoric
on both sides, Buhari said he planned to meet with
Jonathan soon to plan the transition.

“I urge president-elect Buhari and President
Jonathan to repeat their calls to their supporters to
continue to respect the election outcomes, focus on
unifying the country, and together lead Nigeria
through a peaceful transition,”

Obama said. Buhari, a 72-year-old former army general who led Nigeria as a military ruler in the 1980s, said the vote had proved the country’s “belief in democracy.

” Obama also praised Nigeria’s Independent
National Election Commission (INEC) and its
chairman, which he said “deserve special
recognition for what independent international
observers have deemed a largely peaceful and
orderly vote.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/04/obama-praises-nigerias-president-for-conceding-defeat/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by preach93: 2:05pm On Apr 01, 2015
thanks for praising him, but please be ready to work alongside with the new president also #thanks

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by DaPhilosopher(m): 2:09pm On Apr 01, 2015
lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by CR77(f): 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2015
Jonathan na man way get good heart but he marry bad wife

I am loving GEJ more and more.

Quote me if you like i don't care

112 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by 5p1naz(m): 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2015
tongue I drove through town today... it was peaceful....... Except for the danfo drivers. They own Lagos.... I hope the next Lagos state Governor would start thinking of subways. Because Lagos has more that 15million people, it is already a Mega City.

9 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Burger01(m): 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2015
Well said Obama.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by LewisO: 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2015
GEJ gat no choice than to accept defeat.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by RoyalBlak007: 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2015
smiley
Jonathan was in a state of conundrum.....had no choice
Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Sweetguy25: 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2015
Obama go to hell!!!

20 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by ammyluv2002(f): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
Good! He's truly a good man

8 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Brimmie(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
[b]Dear Nairalanders, we all need to understand the concept of Greatness and Heroism. I have been reading Revisionist pieces and White-Washing of Sepulchres on several Social Media Platforms with different people calling GEJ a Hero for conceding to Buhari.

So he is now a hero because he conceded? Did he have a choice?

GEJ has played Politics with the Lives of thousands of our Countrymen for too long. History will never be kind to him. Note that He wasn't magnanimous by accepting defeat, the circumstances and factors were all against him. He didn't concede, he was compelled to. He didn't give us democracy, we demanded it and we got it. He is not a hero by any standard.

We should separate sentiments from matters of National Interest, all those who made hate speeches should be prosecuted. All those who stole our collective wealth must be jailed and made to refund the money.

Sending congratulatory messages to Buhari should not confer automatic Immunity to these Wicked Criminals.

The true Heroes are those who stood up in the rain to vote and stayed to make sure their votes count. Not GEJ who allowed impuntiy unchecked, to whom "Stealing is not corruption".

GEJ's concession of defeat is commendable, but not admirable. He must answer for embezzled funds.[/b]

- Brimmie (2015)

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by luvinhubby(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
Obama ke undecided
After their programmed prediction of Nigerias imminent collapse in 2015, focusing on the elections as catalyst for that crashed in their face.
Abeg it is Nigeria for Nigerians and nothing more, to hell with obama & his america.

27 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
Ok
Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Lilprincey(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
I still blame GEJ 4 losinq dis elections he was very weak in handlinq Nigeria..#let's see wat buhari has for us

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by DanWrites(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
GMB, learn from this man.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Shedysworld(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
Thank you, I know u guys thought we cannot do it

1 Like

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by msmon(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
*I hope and pray GMB will be the change we're yearning for.

*Whoever say GEJ doesn't deserve commendation will realize he's wrong come 2019 general election

*The UK and US should be ready to work with Buhari or just leave us alone

What's Your Opinion On The Conduct Of The 2015 General Election?
www.nairaland.com/2228880/whats-opinion-conduct-2015-general#32208601

Nigeria Set For New Political Era; What Are Your Expectations?
www.nairaland.com/2229068/nigeria-set-new-political-era

2 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015

10 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by CaptainJason: 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
obama woju
Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Texcoco(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
Whatever rocks his boat.....

1 Like

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by dunkem21(m): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2015
Obama shut up. You refused to help us fight terrorism.
Now, you will be ready to help Nigerians by looting us dry.

6 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by MizMyColi(f): 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2015
Wolves in sheep clothing undecided

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by shawn3586(m): 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2015
Okay we don hear
Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2015
My three men of the moments are:

1. Goodluck Jonathan for puuting the interest of Nigeria over personal interest..

2. Jega Atthairu for maintaining his ground despite all opposition,and allowing the votes of the people count.

3. General Buhari for his resolute,despite all initial disappointment,he came back,roaring to victory..

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by datguru: 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2015
Hypocrites everywhere

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by holluwai(m): 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2015
Awww
Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by MrDoGood(m): 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2015
Who's Obama?

4 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Saraben(f): 2:13pm On Apr 01, 2015
I don't trust this guy at all

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by 1Dray(m): 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2015
Fuckkk Obama! Fuckkk Obj! Fuckkk Kelvin Nwigwe! Fuckkk Ezekiel!

3 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by Nobody: 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2015
As he praises Jonathan, America should equally bite her tongue for predicting doom in Nigeria in 2015. Hypocrites. He should be ashamed. Inside him, he is not happy...no opportunity to cause crisis and steal our oil. Executive ole.

13 Likes

Re: Obama Praises Nigeria’s President For Conceding Defeat by jauntty: 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2015
GEJ is a Hero.

My respect for him increased tremendously when He conceded defeat and congratulated Buhari.

He showed respect, maturity, and placed national interests above his personal ambition.

If GEJ had protested against the result yesterday, only God will know the chaos this country might have been plunged into.

God bless GEJ
God bless the president-elect Buhari
God bless NAIRALANDERS
God bless NIGERIA.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Won’t Tell Efcc To Arrest Jonathan – Osinbajo / Buhari Approved N640Bn Oil Contracts From His Sick Bed In London- Baru indicates / We’re Ready To Work For Free, Say Buhari’s Ministers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.