Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,450 members, 7,819,663 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Sudan's Darfur Conflict - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Sudan's Darfur Conflict (4370 Views)

Sudan president detained in South Africa pending court order / Sudan Captures Vulture With Israeli Spying Device / Chad President Pays $26 Million Dowry Sudan Chick (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 9:03pm On Jan 23, 2009
In response to one of the Nairaland's poster who try to depend his support for Israel by mentioning the crisis in Darfur. I am very sure many people those not even know what is really happening there, and to stop this Mugu from comparing or trying to justify Israel's action on Gaza by comparing people's death in the Sudan's Darfur crisis.

How did the conflict start?

The conflict began in the arid and impoverished region early in 2003 after a rebel group began attacking government targets, saying the region was being neglected by Khartoum.

The rebels say the government is oppressing black Africans in favour of Arabs.

Darfur, which means land of the Fur, has faced many years of tension over land and grazing rights between the mostly nomadic Arabs, and farmers from the Fur, Massaleet and Zaghawa communities.

There are two main rebel groups, the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) and the Justice and Equality Movement (Jem), although both groups have split.

There are now more than a dozen rebel groups - making peace talks extremely difficult.

What has happened to Darfur's civilians?

Millions have fled their destroyed villages, with some two million in camps near Darfur's main towns.

The supporter of APC patrol outside the camps and Darfuris say the men are killed and the women raped if they venture too far in search of firewood or water.

Some 200,000 have also sought safety in neighbouring Chad, but many of these are camped along a 600km (372 mile) stretch of the border and remain vulnerable to attacks from Sudan.

The refugees are also threatened by the diplomatic fall-out between Chad and Sudan, as the neighbours accuse one another of supporting each other's rebel groups.

Chad's eastern areas have a similar ethnic make-up to Darfur and the violence has spilled over the border area. Both capitals have also been attacked this year by rebel groups.

Many aid agencies are working in Darfur but they are unable to get access to vast areas because of the fighting.

So in this context, the War is between 13 or more rebel groups and the Government of Sudan.

No one will say exactly which of the rebels kill more people, but the blame of all these conflict is directly labeled on one rebel group, the supporter of APC, which the government denies having any connection with.

What are they fighting for?
The Rebels in the South of Sudan are fighting for what they called their right to Independence. Most of them are non-Arab Christians, their rebel leader claims to be "Spokesperson of God" and that they will establish their own independent state governed by the Ten Commandments.

The Government here is fighting rebellions as well as trying to convince the International Community that what they are doing in Southern Sudan, Eastern Sudan, and Darfur is not war crimes. The rebels in these regions are using force on civilians to kill them, and rape women just to attract International attention.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by vwvw(m): 9:00pm On Jan 24, 2009
whats your point dude
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 3:56pm On Jan 29, 2009
vwvw:

whats your point dude

The Point is there is too much blame on the government of Sudan when there are 13 rebel groups terrorizing people of Darfur.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Ibime(m): 5:18pm On Jan 29, 2009
auwal87:

The Point is there is too much blame on the government of Sudan when there are 13 rebel groups terrorizing people of Darfur.

My friend, shut ya trap. The Government is the only terrorist organisation in Darfur; carrying out ethnic cleansing of black Africans in the name of Arab Imperialism.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by morpheus24: 5:55pm On Jan 29, 2009
Ibime:

My friend, shut ya trap. The Government is the only terrorist organisation in Darfur; carrying out ethnic cleansing of black Africans in the name of Arab Imperialism.

To add to the above I would like to ask the poster what he defines as an Arab vs Black Southern Sudanese African.

Are the supporter of APC Arabs because they speak the language and are Muslim.

Am I an English man because I speak English?

When I say Arabization of Africa is taking place people go dey vex!
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 9:56pm On Jan 29, 2009
Ibime:

Evidence Please!
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 10:06pm On Jan 29, 2009
morpheus24:

To add to the above I would like to ask the poster what he defines as an Arab vs Black Southern Sudanese African.
Are the supporter of APC Arabs because they speak the language and are Muslim.
Am I an English man because I speak English?
When I say Arabization of Africa is taking place people go dey vex!

Arab is a person who identifies as such on linguistic or cultural grounds.
Arabic Language in terms of the number of speakers, is the largest living member of the Semitic language family.

There are people identified as Afro-Arabs, make your own research on that and see.

By the way, the purpose of the Thread is to address the crisis of Darfur with true facts.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Bastage: 10:12pm On Jan 29, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Sudan

A damning indictment of Sudan's government that can't be seen in any other way but state-sponsored terrorism.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 10:25pm On Jan 29, 2009
Your page has no single evidence showing Sudan government's involvement in the Darfur crisis.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Bastage: 10:40pm On Jan 29, 2009
It has plenty if you bother to read the links at the bottom of the page.

To deny Sudanese government involvement in the Darfur crisis is utterly ridiculous.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by morpheus24: 11:53pm On Jan 29, 2009
auwal87:

Arab is a person who identifies as such on linguistic or cultural grounds.
Arabic Language in terms of the number of speakers, is the largest living member of the Semitic language family.

There are people identified as Afro-Arabs, make your own research on that and see.

By the way, the purpose of the Thread is to address the crisis of Darfur with true facts.

The question I posed has a direct relation to the Darfur crisis. The govt of Khartoum are Arab supported because of their affinity to the culture, heritage or what ever you want to call it though in essence they are not. Even if they define themselves as such.

Going into that issue is complex but definitely relevant when discussing issues in Darfur.

The block head Kartoum government want to become like the rest of the Magreb where Pseudo- Arabized peoples(call them Afro-Arabs if you like) think it some priviledge for them to rule the indigenous peoples which is why you won't here any Muslim country making serious noise about it. Its Pseudo-Arabs vs blacks and ofcourse you know who they will support.

Where did the stupid supporter of APC come from and who did they mix with in order to clailm the hyphenation name of Afro-Arabs.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by bawomolo(m): 1:47am On Jan 30, 2009
auwal87:

Your page has no single evidence showing Sudan government's involvement in the Darfur crisis.

even sudan's biggest supporters in the Arab League won't say this rubbish
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by superboi(m): 2:11pm On Jan 30, 2009
auwalu mai shai!!! now u don't have problems with arabs killing ur brodas in sudan but if it is jews killing terrorist or potential terrorist u would be crying wolf. you such a hypocrite, it's like u not 4 real.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by superboi(m): 2:23pm On Jan 30, 2009
auwal87 this is classic GENOCIDE taking place. first sign they(arabs)are killing based on tribe(isreal is not targeting all palestinian,only hamas and it's followers.if not it would have bombed WEST BANK too). as u wrote also they(arabs) also follow the darfur people across the border into chad to massarce, this is a clear sign that it is not a territorial war but a strategic ethnical dessimination of the population of non arab people = GENOCIDE. . auwal87 with over 300,000 people dead you say there is no evidence that there is a genocide and goverment involvement. if the government is not involved then who ever is responsible should be in power .
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Ibime(m): 4:53pm On Jan 30, 2009
Auwal is simply a pseudo-Arab idiot.

Crying up and down about Palestine, yet denying the mass Genocide on his doorstep.

It doesn't matter to him anyway, the 300,000 Sudanese killed are all 'infidels'.

How dare those Sudanese blacks fight for their land rights against Arab nomads fleeing desertification?

E be like say those Arab nomads suffer from the same Sokugo wandering disease wey dey worry our brothers from Northern Nigeria.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 30, 2009
Are you all surprised? where are the muslims who were whinning last few weeks about dead women and children? Dont the thousands dead in Darfur mean anything to them?
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by KarmaMod(f): 5:05pm On Jan 30, 2009
davidylan:

where are the muslims who were whinning about last few weeks about dead women and children? Dont the thousands dead in Darfur mean anything to them?

They're negros undecided
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by RichyBlacK(m): 6:59pm On Jan 30, 2009
auwal87:
The Government here is fighting rebellions as well as trying to convince the International Community that what they are doing in Southern Sudan, Eastern Sudan, and Darfur is not war crimes. The rebels in these regions are using force on civilians to kill them, and rape women just to attract International attention.

@auwal87,

I agree with you that the conflict in Darfur is more intricate than most people want to believe. My concern is for the life of the civilians in Darfur. My question is simple:
What has the government in Khartoum done to protect the lives and property of the civilians in Darfur?.

The Sudanese government has the prerogative to fight rebels or make peace with them (as has been the case with some rebel factions in the south), my problem with their strategy is that they have done nothing, that I'm aware of, to protect the lives and property of fellow Sudanese in Darfur. If there is no evidence that the government is trying to protect the civilians in Darfur, then the government must be unreservedly condemned.

One argument often used to excuse the government when this question is tendered is that "there are no innocent civilians, and those civilians are all part of the rebels". Anybody who uses this argument and turns around to condemn Israel (the current champions of this foolish logic) for killing Palestinians may very well be schizophrenic!

Can you point to any evidence of any action that the Sudanese government have taken to prevent the mass murder of civilians in Darfur? I welcome your response. smiley

Thanks.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 7:34pm On Jan 30, 2009
All those who said that Sudanese government is involved in the killings in Darfur will also blame the African Union forces since they are fighting the rebels together in Darfur.

USA is behind this bloodshed, yes! They sponsor the rebels in Darfur, that is why they only blame the government on everything. If anyone is in doubt, let me have one single quote where any US official condemn what the rebels are doing in Darfur. They only blindly condemn the government without any evidence.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 30, 2009
RichyBlacK:

One argument often used to excuse the government when this question is tendered is that "there are no innocent civilians, and those civilians are all part of the rebels". Anybody who uses this argument and turns around to condemn Israel (the current champions of this foolish logic) for killing Palestinians may very well be schizophrenic!

Well put.

auwal87:

All those who said that Sudanese government is involved in the killings in Darfur will also blame the African Union forces since they are fighting the rebels together in Darfur.

USA is behind this bloodshed, yes! They sponsor the rebels in Darfur, that is why they only blame the government on everything. If anyone is in doubt, let me have one single quote where any US official condemn what the rebels are doing in Darfur. They only blindly condemn the government without any evidence.

the only surprise is that it took you so long to come up with this. What else is the US responsible for? The Jos mayhem?
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 8:02pm On Jan 30, 2009
davidylan:

the only surprise is that it took you so long to come up with this.
I was busy doing some other things, is this a surprise?

What else is the US responsible for? The Jos mayhem?

I don't know. Darfur is an oil rich region, so better you come up with Niger Delta, I can say maybe yes they are.

Sudan is a strong ally of China. US knew well how China will benefit from Investing in Darfur, I guess you know.

It's all a game being played from Washington
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 30, 2009
auwal, sudan isnt a strong ally of China. china is simply interested in plenty of oil to run its factories. It doesnt care a fig what happens to Sudan. grin

And as for blaming the US . . . that is a reflection of your ignorance.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 8:19pm On Jan 30, 2009
davidylan:

auwal, sudan isnt a strong ally of China. china is simply interested in plenty of oil to run its factories. It doesnt care a fig what happens to Sudan. grin

And as for blaming the US . . . that is a reflection of your ignorance.

I repeat, Sudan is a strong ally of China. China Ready to Deepen Relations with Sudan

If Sudan will today hand over Darfur to the US (as in economic handover), hmm, USA will never talk again, see on this;

"Our message to the government of Sudan is clear: do what is necessary now, and we will work with you. If you do not, there will be consequences," he said, adding there was no time to lose. http://www.afrol.com/articles/13383

AND WE WILL WORK WITH YOU

Those words alone are enough to prove US's involvement in Darfur crisis.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 30, 2009
auwal . . . saying you are a first class clown would be stating the obvious. grin
What next? US is responsible for flooding in India?
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 8:33pm On Jan 30, 2009
davidylan:

auwal . . . saying you are a first class clown would be stating the obvious. grin
What next? US is responsible for flooding in India?

I don't know. But should there be a flooding in India, and then US come up with a statement like "Do What is Necessary Now, And We Will Work With You", Then I can say US is responsible for flooding in India.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Ibime(m): 9:09pm On Jan 30, 2009
I now believe this auwal is mentally stunted. Yes, lets blame the rebels who are fighting for their peoples survival instead of the Government who are carrying out GENOCIDE!
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 10:25pm On Jan 30, 2009
Ibime:

I now believe this auwal is mentally stunted. Yes, lets blame the rebels who are fighting for their peoples survival instead of the Government who are carrying out GENOCIDE!

Yes, lets blame the rebels hamas who are fighting for their people's survival instead of the Government Israel who are carrying out GENOCIDE!
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by Ibime(m): 10:33pm On Jan 30, 2009
Look at this idiot. Do you see me involving myself in nonsense Israel-Palestine debates? Besides, how does 1500 people equate to 300,000? Do you know the meaning of genocide? If Israel is intent on genocide, it will take less than 30 minutes to dump the whole of Gaza into the sea. Look at this olodo supporting his Arab killers over his black brothers in the name of religion. Idiot!
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by bawomolo(m): 4:01am On Jan 31, 2009
auwal87:

Yes, lets blame the rebels hamas who are fighting for their people's survival instead of the Government Israel who are carrying out GENOCIDE!

what Genocide, have u compared the standard of living in Darfur to the standard of living in Gaza?
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by thehomer: 4:58pm On Jan 31, 2009
auwal87:

I don't know. But should there be a flooding in India, and then US come up with a statement like "Do What is Necessary Now, And We Will Work With You", Then I can say US is responsible for flooding in India.

Come on man you're dragging your hatred for the US too far come on. It's like you're against the U.S. whatever she does good or bad.
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 6:55pm On Jan 31, 2009
thehomer:

Come on man you're dragging your hatred for the US too far come on. It's like you're against the U.S. whatever she does good or bad.

Maybe you won't say that if I talk against Iran, whom have never bombed any one with a Nuclear Weapon. Don't ask me if U.S.A. have bombed any nation with NUKE before. Also, USA bombed Africa's best University which was in Sudan.

To correct, you, my 'hatred' is to no one but the Evils, I hate Evil People, I hate Evil Ideas, I hate anything Evil. It just appears that the HQ of world evil is in the USA. By the way, what has she done which is good?
Re: Sudan's Darfur Conflict by auwal87(m): 6:59pm On Jan 31, 2009
bawomolo:

what Genocide, have u compared the standard of living in Darfur to the standard of living in Gaza?

What has standard of living got to do with Darfur and Gaza now?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Dies Aboard Delta Ailines / Saudi Billionaire Princes Sleeping On The Floor After Corruption Arrest(Photos / Magomed Tushayev, Chechen Commander Killed In Hostomel Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.