Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,161 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? (676 Views)

Fielding Jonathan, A Mistake – Dr. Raymond Dokpesi / Jonathan Is Not A Hero – Oby Ezekwesili / Maku Denies Calling Jonathan A Boko Haram Sponsor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? by opethom(m): 2:04pm On Apr 04, 2015
Last week, a column in one of the UK national dailies narrated the story of a young man who broke into a house about two years ago while the residents were on holiday, and stole items worth about 400 Pounds, and he was never caught.

However, two years later, the man reformed his life on his own and decided to correct his wrongs. He went back to the house and confessed his crime to the residents and offered them a refund of the price of the items he stole (i.e. £400).

The residents refused to accept the money, and they called the police. The thief eventually coughed out £2,000 in refund and fines, and was sentenced to community service.

While some people praise the thief’s courage and called for a lenient sentence, many did not see any reason why one should be spared from the full consequences of one's crimes just by confessing the crime, and I’m of the latter view.

Recently, many Nigerians praise Jonathan for conceding defeat. Some people even go as far as suggesting that he should be considered for the coveted Mo Ibrahim’s Award for outstanding African leaders.

Me? I can’t help but relate Jonathan with the story of the thief above. I don’t see anything special about Jonathan’s acceptance of defeat because what were his options?

The thief had the option not to confess and he probably would never have been caught, but what were Jonathan’s options when it was glaring that he had lost despite his best efforts to massively rig in some states?

Yes, I acknowledge that it is rare that politicians concede defeat in Africa, but that’s where it ends; in my view, his concession was inconsequential. In fact, he did himself a big favour by saving himself and his family from getting the Laurent Gbagbo treatment, especially when the USA and UK had given him joint warning a day to the results’ announcement, not to subvert the will of the people.

Had he tried to contest the results of the election and plunged the country into chaos, he would have dug his grave deeper at the International Criminal Court or whatever court the African Union sets up. So, his options were really limited to concession, unlike the case of the thief.

For those who are still clogging our social media space with uncanny praises for Jonathan, please save your time and energy. We simply are not buying.

The memories of the thousands of our loved ones who have lost their lives because of Jonathan’s actions and inactions are still fresh in our minds. Our hearts are still bleeding from the wounds of our separation from the thousands of our mothers and children who have been abducted and are still languishing in Sambisa forest.

Many of our injured are still on their hospital beds, and millions are out there as refugees all over the Chad Basin, exposed to the elements. The billions of dollars that have evaporated without a trace from our national coffers could have actually changed the fortunes of our country, yet no one is behind bars because of it.

As far as I’m concerned, until Jonathan resolves the massive problems caused or aggravated by his administration in the few days he has in office, he will remain less “honourable” than the British thief who returned to his victims to compensate them.

Therefore, I would praise the thief a million times for returning to right his wrong before I get to praise Jonathan for simply acknowledging what cannot be changed, and he did it to save his neck.
Re: Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? by missbehave247(m): 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2015
Spread mat........ Sipping origin
Re: Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? by nkemjacob2(m): 2:11pm On Apr 04, 2015
Hero... What other country could recomend him off. GEJ is the father of democracy in nigeria
Re: Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? by domejike(m): 2:28pm On Apr 04, 2015
missbehave247:
missbehave247:
missbehave247:
we r here talking trash because of GEJ's peace initiative else d mayhem would av been worse than boko haram nightmares over d years should he go contrary; yes he would be prosecuted by d icc bt d country will suffer investors exits...bt quote n trust me dis singular gesture will surely skyrocket nigeria's image n thus making nigeria d prefered business destination in d world.
Re: Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? by Orunto: 2:37pm On Apr 04, 2015
And much more than a Hero. He is the baby being sought for, after he was thrown out with the bath water. He is a rare gem and a specially well cooked and very well educated african democrat of international standard. The boy is good. The scoundrel in all these is Amaechi, thus proving that, the God of Nigeria is always awake..
Re: Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? by missbehave247(m): 2:41pm On Apr 04, 2015
shocked
domejike:
[color=#000099][/color] we r here talking trash because of GEJ's peace initiative else d mayhem would av been worse than boko haram nightmares over d years should he go contrary; yes he would be prosecuted by d icc bt d country will suffer investors exits...bt quote n trust me dis singular gesture will surely skyrocket nigeria's image n thus making nigeria d prefered business destination in d world.
Re: Jonathan: A Hero Or A Scoundrel? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 04, 2015
Sincerly, I didn't see anything heroic about the call.
Someone was voted out, and he call to congratulate the winner, it happen on most of the reality show where you see the losers still hug the winner.
The script was well written,
They are just playing it out now, so he won't be responsible for his crime.
Gej is only trying to gain sympathy, concede or no concede, he must to leave Aso rock and answer to his wrong doing.

(1) (Reply)

BUHARI ISSUES WARNING: Stealing Is Now Corruption / We’ll Not Go To Court, ‘ll Return In 4yrs, Says PDP / Alleged Photo Of APC Lagos Assembly Candidate, Desmond Elliot 'sharing' Money.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.