Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,812 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:43 PM

NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES (1217 Views)

Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Triplets In The U.S After Six Years Of Waiting / WICKEDNESS: British Couple Enslave Nigerian Immigrant For 24 Years / If Your Spouse Gains Scholarship To Study Abroad A Month After Wedding..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Nobody: 6:48pm On Apr 05, 2015
[size=14pt]Meet the Nigerian student accepted into all eight Ivy League schools[/size]

By Taylor Vecsey and Natalie O'Neill April 5, 2015 | 1:43am

HAROLD EKEH WITH ALL EIGHT ACCEPTANCE LETTERS

A Nassau County whiz kid was accepted into all eight Ivy League schools — a year after another Long Island teen hit the rare academic jackpot.
Elmont Memorial HS senior Harold Ekeh boasts a grade-point average of 100.5 percent, an SAT score of 2270 and was a semifinalist for the national Intel Science Talent Search.

“My parents’ hard work and my hard work finally paid off,” Ekeh, 17, told The Post.

Ekeh now has his pick of the nation’s elite institutions of higher learning: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth and the University of Pennsylvania — none of which accept more than 14 percent of applicants.

He’s leaning toward Yale, where Kwasi Enin, 18, the son of Ghanaian immigrants from Mastic Beach, LI, who completed the Ivy sweep last year, now attends.

Ekeh moved to New York from Nigeria at age 8 and wowed admissions officers with an essay about the challenges he braved while “coming to America,” he said.

“My parents left comfortable lives in Nigeria for their kids to have opportunities. So I take advantage of every single opportunity that has been afforded to me,” said Ekeh, who hopes to become a neurosurgeon.

“It was very difficult to adjust . . . I spoke English but with a very heavy accent. It was like, ‘What is this kid saying?’ ” he continued.
In his free time he does what most other teens his age don’t do — toiling over biochemistry experiments. His grandma’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis — and his own inspiration to find a cure for the degenerative brain disease — fueled his passion for science, he said.

The hardworking student, a salutatorian who also plays the drums, mentors and volunteers for a social-justice campaign, credited his parents, Paul and Roselin — former clerks at a Target store in Queens — for challenging him to study and do his best, “no matter how hard times got,” he said.

“No matter how many times they would get knocked down, they were always positive, he said.
“Anybody who sees my story can say, ‘If he can do it, I can do it.’ I’m just a kid who had a real strong support system.”
Ekeh was accepted into the other five schools he applied to: MIT, NYU, Johns Hopkins University, Stony Brook University and Vanderbilt University.

“Never would I have expected to get into all 13 schools. I just wanted to increase my chances of getting into one of them,” he said.
He took his amazing accomplishments in stride. When he learned he’d been admitted to all of the country’s best schools last Tuesday, he celebrated by going to Bible study — and then to Chipotle.

“I don’t see it as an accomplishment for me. I see it as an accomplishment for my community. I hope it inspires the younger generation, not just in Elmont, but overall,” he said.

http://nypost.com/2015/04/05/meet-the-student-accepted-into-all-eight-ivy-league-schools/

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Nobody: 6:49pm On Apr 05, 2015
Front page, pls. Let's celebrate this kid!
Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 05, 2015
That's a genius. I hope he won't allow other things to distract him in college.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by bennyrazz: 7:16pm On Apr 05, 2015
neurosurgeon? very difficult, tasking profession. Only geniuses do that, by the way how many neurosurgeons do we have in Nigeria? I don't think we have any.

What we have are glorified Medical doctors that can't even administer anaesthetic.Medical profession in Nigeria as been profilerated. Parents use money to buy admission into medical school for their children but kudos to Ivy league schools in US. No matter how much money you have, if you ain't academically brilliant, no space for you.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Nobody: 7:43pm On Apr 05, 2015
juicyjoint:
That's a genius. I hope he won't allow other things to distract him in college.
I hope so too!

bennyrazz:
neurosurgeon? very difficult, tasking profession. Only geniuses do that, by the way how many neurosurgeons do we have in Nigeria? I don't think we have any.

What we have are glorified Medical doctors that can't even administer anaesthetic.Medical profession in Nigeria as been profilerated. Parents use money to buy admission into medical school for their children but kudos to Ivy league schools in US. No matter how much money you have, if you ain't academically brilliant, no space for you.
lol
Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by misfab(f): 8:39pm On Apr 05, 2015
nice one!
teens shud take a cue

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Nobody: 9:53pm On Apr 05, 2015
embarassed jealous embarassed

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by CBNIM: 11:55pm On Apr 05, 2015
Wow! Wish to have kids like him someday!

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by jplay(m): 1:11am On Apr 06, 2015
Impressive. His parents must be proud.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Ilekeh(f): 1:11am On Apr 06, 2015
Impressive!

1 Like

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by MMotimo: 3:27am On Apr 06, 2015
The kind of kids that help you go to sleep every night with a smile on your face and a warm feeling in your tummy
Awon omo olori ire
Awon omo sansan bi owo kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIAN IMMIGRANT IN THE U.S GAINS ADMISSION INTO All IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITIES by Nobody: 10:09pm On Apr 06, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Caught In The Act. This House Maid Uses Her Urine To Cook For Her Boss / My Wife Is More Sexually Responsive After I Beat Her Up. / Husband Demands Refund Of N486,000 Wedding Expenses From Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.