Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? (2982 Views)

Isiaka Adeleke's Death Sparks Riot In Osun / Senate President, Bukola Saraki Reads Riot Act On Unremitted Funds / Guber Poll: Oba Of Lagos Reads Riot Act To Igbo... The Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by Abbeyme: 9:08am On Apr 06, 2015
Good morning Nairalanders,

It has become norm for highly placed political and traditional rulers to be quoted as having read the Riot Act to certain people.

1. The Oba of Lagos Reads Riot Act,
2. Police Reads the Riot Act,
3. INEC Reads the Riot Act,
4. The President Reads Riot Act,
5. The Governor Reads RIot Act,
This person Reads the Riot Act, that person Reads the Riot Act.

What exactly is that Riot Act? Is it a document? Is there a standard to the Act or just like a escpected way of conduct?
Is is a legal document?

If you are more knowledgeable about this, TIME is NOW to shed more light ....
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by ozoigbondu: 9:14am On Apr 06, 2015
Riot act is not a document it is just speaking authoritaively but ot has the force of law under common law og england but it is used only by the police
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by Abbeyme: 9:16am On Apr 06, 2015
ozoigbondu:
Riot act is npt a document it is just speaking authoritaively

Hmmm ....

So it's like to shakara somebody?

Then why is it called an ACT?
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by ozoigbondu: 9:19am On Apr 06, 2015
Abbeyme:

Hmmm ....

So it's like to shakara somebody?

Then why is it called an ACT?

it was an act or law passed by british parilament meant to prevent riots
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by Abbeyme: 9:20am On Apr 06, 2015
ozoigbondu:

it was an act or law passed by british parilament meant to prevent riots

ok...

Nigeria just found its own way of domesticating it..

Thanks
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by Nobody: 9:27am On Apr 06, 2015
It's not mere shakara. A Senior Police Officer is allowed to read the Riots Acts as last warning to a riotous gathering ordering them to disperse in the name of the President or be dispersed by force. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the details but it's not mere words.
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by tollu: 9:33am On Apr 06, 2015
Lol. One of the many words Nigerian journalists are fond of. "Dastardly act" another example
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by Abbeyme: 10:58am On Apr 06, 2015
kITATITA:
It's not mere shakara. A Senior Police Officer is allowed to read the Riots Acts as last warning to a riotous gathering ordering them to disperse in the name of the President or be dispersed by force. I'm not a lawyer so I don't know the details but it's not mere words.

Noted!!!!

Keep it coming guys, no one is an island of knowledge or wisdom..
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 06, 2015
Abbeyme:

Noted!!!!

Keep it coming guys, no one is an island of knowledge or wisdom..

If you are somewhere doing your aluta and a Senior Police Officer starts quoting sections of the constitution and issuing warnings and ordering you to disperse in the name of the President; my brother, just leave the place on your own accord.
Re: What Exactly Is The Riot Act? A Legal Document? by Abbeyme: 11:31am On Apr 06, 2015
kITATITA:

If you are somewhere doing your aluta and a Senior Police Officer starts quoting sections of the constitution and issuing warnings and ordering you to disperse in the name of the President; my brother, just leave the place on your own accord.

grin

(1) (Reply)

Serious Intelligent Opposition Required! / no / Tinubu To Jonathan In 2012: Subsidy Removal Will Bring Hardship On The People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.