Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,574 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition (3270 Views)

Senator Joshua Dariye With A 3310 Nokia Phone (Pictured) / Breaking News: Apc Picks James Faleke As Kogi Dep Gov Candidate For Kogi / Can The Igbo Play Opposition In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Sooroptimist1: 2:16pm On Apr 07, 2015
Plateau deputy governor, Gen. Useni, Dariye, others dump PDP for APC
It was gathered that Dariye, Useni, Tapgun and Cheto have been in secret meetings with top politicians across the 17 local government areas of the state to canvass votes for the APC candidates for the two elections Plateau State on Tuesday witnessed mass defection of prominent members of the Peoples Democratic Party to the All Progressives Congress.

Among those who defected were a former Governor of Plateau State, Chief Joshua Dariye; Ambassador Fedelis Tapgun; former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, General Jeremiah Timbut Useni: Senator Victor Lar; and the state’s Deputy Governor, Ambassador Ignatius Longjan. Also, a former Minister and former Deputy Governor of Plateau State, Dame Pauline Tallen; Engineer Jimmy Cheto; and Chief Jethro Akun have concluded plans to move to the APC ahead of Saturday’s governorship and House of Assembly elections.

It was gathered that Dariye, Useni, Tapgun and Cheto have been in secret meetings with top politicians across the 17 local government areas of the state to canvass votes for the APC candidates for the two elections. Meanwhile, a group of supporters of the APC on the platform of Advocacy Campaign, in a press statement signed by Comrade Saddiq Agamah Sumbelep, said Dariye’s group has resolved to defect formally to the party on April 9, 2015.

Sumbelep disclosed that the defection to the APC is to bring government closer to the people at the grassroots. Sumbelep said the launching of the “Vote All Progressives Congress candidates across Plateau State Advocacy Campaign” is aimed at mobilizing voters in Plateau State to vote for the governorship and state Assembly candidates of the APC on April 11, 2015.

He added that Vice President-elect, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, will be the chief launcher of the VAPCAPSA campaign. The chairman of the event will be former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, with Hon. Ghali Umar Na’Abba, a former speaker House of Representatives, as the guest speaker.

Sumbelep decried the high level of unemployment, hooliganism, hunger, abduction, rape, religious intolerance, stealing and smuggling going in the country.

He congratulated President-elect, General Muhammadu Buhari, on his victory. He equally called on the citizens to replicate same in the governorship and state House of Assembly elections.

Culled from:http://theeagleonline.com.ng/plateau-deputy-governor-gen-useni-dariye-others-dump-pdp-for-apc/
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Fairgodwin(m): 2:22pm On Apr 07, 2015
Nigeria, gradually (or speedily?) turning into a one party state. This is not going to be healthy for our democracy and country in the long run.
Though I'm trusting the PDP will find its feet again.

1 Like

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by eph12(m): 2:26pm On Apr 07, 2015
Obviously if the tables turn around they'll decamp again
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Sooroptimist1: 2:41pm On Apr 07, 2015
I had always maintained that PDP under Jonathan is bound only by the access to the Commonwealth

That if in any case Jonathan gets defeated,nobody might even remember he once Presided over this country owing to the fact that he lacks any serious leadership acumen and people dont respect him except for the fact that he is the President

Since he lost his re-election,he has refused to rally the troops and give hope to the remaining contestants

PDP is fast fading into irrelevance

9 Likes

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by babs01(m): 2:47pm On Apr 07, 2015
PDP is going to an extinction or rather put a regional party taking over from APGA.

3 Likes

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by fyneguy: 2:54pm On Apr 07, 2015
I said it before. The sustaining factor for PDP is patronage. PDP does not have what it takes to be a vibrant opposition. The oxygen has been taken away on Saturday.

5 Likes

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by doctokwus: 3:12pm On Apr 07, 2015
This is where buhari's leadership skills wud be put to test because there are too many criminals now decamping to APC.
I know he won't fail Nigerians and would definitely disappoint many politicians who are joining to essentially get some form of protection.

3 Likes

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by OAM4J: 3:21pm On Apr 07, 2015
Na wa! Failure is indeed an orphan

This one everybody is decamping to APC, we need a strong opposition o.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 07, 2015
fyneguy:
I said it before. The sustaining factor for PDP is patronage. PDP does not have what it takes to be a vibrant opposition. The oxygen has been taken away on Saturday.

Very true..the bold.

...and what is happening now is just my only reservation about APC winning that election...the soul of opposition politics is SW..but now that mainstream SW has moved to the center...Opposition politics will die in Nigeria as PDP cannot play such role.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 07, 2015
OAM4J:
Na wa! Failure is indeed an orphan

This one everybody is decamping to APC, we need a strong opposition o.

Unfortunately the people that are well grounded in opposition politics have just moved to the center.

1 Like

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Sibrah: 3:38pm On Apr 07, 2015
ilugunboy:

Unfortunately the people that are well grounded in opposition politics have just moved to the center.
The main motivation for them is access to national cake, if power gives them that access, then fine. The cake is too sweet for them to bare the pain of struggling for it from scratch. The change must continue at the governorship polls.

1 Like

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by galadima77(m): 3:48pm On Apr 07, 2015
na only plateau? come and see mass defection of even sitting commissioners in niger state.

1 Like

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by OAM4J: 3:57pm On Apr 07, 2015
ilugunboy:

galadima77:
na only plateau? come and see mass defection of even sitting commissioners in niger state.

It is not good for our democracy, we need a strong opposition party to put a ruling party on its toes. Otherwise we the people will be the loser for it. Do I have now to be wishing for a problem in APC so that some can leave to strengthen PDP?
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by astana1: 3:58pm On Apr 07, 2015
LAGOS- BELONGS TO THE YOURBA'

3 Likes

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 07, 2015
OAM4J:

It is not good for our democracy, we need a strong opposition party to put a ruling party on its toes. Otherwise we the people will be the loser for it. Do I have now to be wishing for a problem in APC so that some can leave to strengthen PDP?

Unfortunately I don't think PDP will be able to rise up again if the voting pattern of the Presidential election also reflects in the governorship election.

We may just pray for a fresh party to come along as opposition....
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by AgentMS: 4:07pm On Apr 07, 2015
This is not good for our democracy. We need a vibrant and dogged opposition for us to continue to enjoy good governance.

We all witnessed the miracle GEJ did within 6weeks based on strong opposition.

It clearly shows politicians are only interested in their pockets and self interests.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by AgentMS: 4:09pm On Apr 07, 2015
ilugunboy:

Unfortunately I don't think PDP will be able to rise up again if the voting pattern of the Presidential election also reflects in the governorship election.

PDP can not. A new formidable party will emerge out of this seemingly over crowded APC with time.

The only hope for PDP is for them to rejuvenate the party with young and visionary leaders that can appeal to the youths.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by OAM4J: 4:12pm On Apr 07, 2015
ilugunboy:

Well, lets see how things unfold. With all these mass defection everywhere, looks like APC might be controlling more than 21 states it won in d last presidential election.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by raumdeuter: 4:13pm On Apr 07, 2015
Only the SE would be left in PDP

I wish Rochas lose the election so the whole SE would be fully opposition

2 Likes

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by OAM4J: 4:17pm On Apr 07, 2015
AgentMS:

PDP can not. A new formidable party will emerge out of this seemingly over crowded APC with time.

The only hope for PDP is for them to rejuvenate the party with young and visionary leaders that can appeal to the youths.

If these young visionary leaders are presently unknown, they had better start speaking out from now so people can access them before the next general election. 4 years is just to short for some unknown and untested people to be a threat to a sitting government the way APC was to PDP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by galadima77(m): 4:19pm On Apr 07, 2015
OAM4J:

honestly, not everyone can withstand d hardship that accompanies being in d opposition especially in a democracy like ours where winners take all.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by AgentMS: 4:20pm On Apr 07, 2015
OAM4J:

If these young visionary leaders are presently unknown, they had better start speaking out from now so people can access them before the next general election. 4 years is just to short for some unknown and untested people to be a threat to a sitting government the way APC was to PDP.

to be candid, I don't know any for now.

They must be a set of people that are passionate and committed to good governance and not chop-I-chop politics.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by carboblanko(m): 4:56pm On Apr 07, 2015
Sooroptimist1:
I had always maintained that PDP under Jonathan is bound only by the access to the Commonwealth

That if in any case Jonathan gets defeated,nobody might even remember he once Presided over this country owing to the fact that he lacks any serious leadership acumen and people dont respect him except for the fact that he is the President

Since he lost his re-election,he has refused to rally the troops and give hope to the remaining contestants

PDP is fast fading into irrelevance
My thoughts exactly. You are so on point amigo.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by eph12(m): 4:58pm On Apr 07, 2015
So PDP lost an election and they're dead n buried? Great. Let Buhari mess up and you see for your self what it means to be on the hot seat. Am no pdp member but I just have to say this. There are people out there itching to play the opposition role even better than APC did. Just pray GMB delivers his promise.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Defcon1(m): 5:17pm On Apr 07, 2015
This is why I am cautiously optimistic and wary of this much touted "change"
The same members of the government/party that was just booted out are rejoining the incoming government, and are being welcomed with open arms.
Coupled with the fact that many stalwarts of the incoming government were once spearheads of the ousted government.

Am l to believe that these traitors, both old and new, have imbibed a new ideology different than the ones they held in the ousted dispensation/party

ls anyone really convinced that these selfish, greedy, opportunistic charlatans have turned a new leaf ??

Have they really denounced greed and corruption by joining the APC
or is it business as usual under a new party??

l am no fool, if you bathe a pig, clothe it in fine lining, scent it with cologne and put a diamond ring on its snout, it will still go back to the gutters...a pig will always be a pig

A cautionary tale.

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Chigold101(m): 5:17pm On Apr 07, 2015
Fairgodwin:
Nigeria, gradually (or speedily?) turning into a one party state. This is not going to be healthy for our democracy and country in the long run.
Though I'm trusting the PDP will find its feet again.
If no one wants to play the opposition how will our country get better... I wish we can go into 2 party state
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Fairgodwin(m): 5:27pm On Apr 07, 2015
Chigold101:
If no one wants to play the opposition how will our country get better... I wish we can go into 2 party state

You seem to get the point.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by raph896(m): 5:57pm On Apr 07, 2015
caant talk :-Xcaant talk

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by Sooroptimist1: 5:58pm On Apr 07, 2015
ilugunboy:

Very true..the bold.

...and what is happening now is just my only reservation about APC winning that election...the soul of opposition politics is SW..but now that mainstream SW has moved to the center...Opposition politics will die in Nigeria as PDP cannot play such role.

You got it spot on

Most politicians are fair weather friends,who would gladly migrate to the next house in the event of any change in your situation

That is why Tinubu's place in the annals of history is well assured owing to his steadfastness,ruggedness and solidness to play opposition to its logical conclusion since 2003 when he was the last man standing

He never decamped to PDP out of fear but he rallied the dispersed troops to launch a counter attack against PDP until its now defeated

Opposion politicking is not for the faint-hearted!

1 Like

Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by san316(m): 7:56pm On Apr 07, 2015
I'm beginning to lose confidence in APC. I guess we have to look for an opposition party that can put the incoming govt on its toes.

It has to b another different party and NOT PDP because d party is a brand for corruption.

On my way out of APC.lemme just give it a year and see.
Re: Plateau Dep Gov, Useni, Dariye Dump PDP for APC: Nobody Wants To Play Opposition by ferhyntorlah(f): 8:06pm On Apr 07, 2015
eph12:
Obviously if the tables turn around they'll decamp again
Sure banker!!!

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Sets Committee Headed By Osinbajo To Immediately Share Excess Crude Acct / Amazing Pictures Of Imo State Government House Chapel / MASSOB Disowns Nnamdi Kanu, Meets Northern Groups

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.