Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

What Does The Bible Say About Jewelries (earrings,necklace, Ring Etc.) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Say About Jewelries (earrings,necklace, Ring Etc.) (1549 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Sex Before Marriage? / What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Bible Say About Jewelries (earrings,necklace, Ring Etc.) by yommyphresh(m): 4:34pm On Apr 07, 2015
I'm really curious. You won't believe a friend and her girlfriend just separated because of this! The lady is a deeper life member and they started dating about a month ago. The lady went to camp and when she got back, she said she wanted to quit the relationship cos she found out that God isn't interested in anything dating (she said cos it can't be 100% sin-free). She also said she wants to change how she dresses, her hair (she doesn't want to make it anymore or add anything to it) and so many other things. Personally, i feel the doctrine of Deeper Life has gone to the EXTREME. I need bible scholars in the house to contribute. Thanks
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Jewelries (earrings,necklace, Ring Etc.) by emmyskies(m): 11:24pm On Apr 08, 2015
It's biblical. They're not good
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Jewelries (earrings,necklace, Ring Etc.) by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 09, 2015
She is truly born again real christians are like that the world will never understand them and their ways its normal the guy doesnt get it because he aint spiritual, big ups to the girl its good to see people actually live the bible without fear and compromise
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Jewelries (earrings,necklace, Ring Etc.) by Fari9482: 3:22am On Apr 09, 2015
I am no scholar but I hope I can add something worth looking at.

The Old Testament is full of men and women wearing jewelry.

The Tabernacle and it's furnishings were made and over laid with gold. The High Priest wore gold. So why is that religions, Christianity for one, think that wearing jewelry is a sin?

I was raised in this kind of mindset. People could wear a wedding ring though. So people went overboard with that one. Huge diamonds as long as it was just on that one finger. Don't you dare put a ring on any other finger right, because that is a sin.

You could wear a watch, so no objection in getting Rolex right. However don't you dare put an earring in your ear, or wear a bracelet right because that was a sin.

It is all legalism.

This is just like that Rabbis, they put "fences up." This means that the practice in itself is not a sin, but "it could lead to sin" so we are going to make it a law, (implied) that is it a sin. People will use all kinds of bible verses particularly in the New Testament to show how sinful it is to wear jewelry. They will quote Paul who talked about modesty, and stretch it to the point where you cannot wear jewelry.

I remember asking a minster, about "braided hair." Well he got himself in a tail spin, because his understanding was you cannot braid your hair. Many cultures braid their hair. So that verse is going to exclude that cultural practice.

Maybe it was right that they separate, because they did not have the same mindset, and that kind of disagreement could lead to problems.

The point in all this is this. In my view we should teach the big picture. One can look modest and dare I say Godly wearing jewelry. We can be proud and haughty even if we go the extremes like some sects do, like the Amish who will not wear a button because it is "proud." Man made rules and religion. None of this has anything to do with being Spiritual.

There is a big difference between being Religious and being Spiritual in my view
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Jewelries (earrings,necklace, Ring Etc.) by davidedmorn: 4:55am On Apr 09, 2015
God does not command a specific style, color, or size of head covering, it is important that the church does not add to God’s Word and require a specific style, color, or size. Some churches have specified a style, color, and size thinking that it would prevent the people of the church from discarding the head covering. It was in continuous progress and it is followed by everyone.

bible scriptures message

(1) (Reply)

My Experience In One Of The Latter Reign Churches / Nairalanders, Does It Mean That Such A News Caster Will Not Go To Hell? / A Facebooker Made Fun Of The 'amen' Crew And This Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.