Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,480 members, 7,816,134 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? (872 Views)

How The APC Shot Itself In The Foot / Ebonyi April 11th 2015 Online Governorship Pool / Has Buhari Shot Himself In The Foot? - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? by lecat(m): 11:42pm On Apr 07, 2015
From the mundane to the sublime, the repudiations have started flooding in from top politicians in the APC fold who are making spirited moves to either distance themselves from the purported xenophobic statements attributed to the Oba of Lagos, HRH Oba Rilwan Babatunde Osuolale Aremu Akiolu I. The charm offensive is not restricted to politicians alone. Front-line musicians like Don Jazzy, screen diva, Joke Silva and even a former World Bank Vice President and co-founder of Transparency International, Dr. Obiageli Ezekwesili were all not left out of the controversy.
To be sure, the Oba's palace did its best to douse the flames of the fires that had been lit by the alleged statements by the Oba. The rebuttal by the Oba's palace is reprinted below:

THE OBA OF LAGOS CLARIFYING HIS EARLIER STATEMENT!

My attention has been drawn to a publication in a national newspaper where HRM Oba Riliwanu Akinolu was alleged to have threatened Igbos in Lagos to make them vote for Ambode.
Last Sunday, all honorary Eze Ndigbos in Lagos paid a courtesy call to HRM Oba Akinolu. At the meeting the visitors praised the Oba for his fatherly support for and cooperation with Igbos in. Lagos. They assured him of their continued good neighborliness with other tribes in Lagos and support everything that’ll further strengthen that harmony. Oba Akiolu on his part acknowledged the enviable performance of Governor Fashola and his contribution to the growth of investments in Lagos. He gave the assurance that he is not disturbed or angry with South-East and South- South votes for President Jonathan as perceived by the Eze Ndigbos. The Obas thereafter called on the Igbos chiefs to show appreciation to Lagos State by supporting his candidate Mr. Ambode for continuity of excellence as they have earlier promised. He assured them of his continued support and assistance where needed and the meeting ended with the traditional breaking of kolas, alligator pepper, and bitter kola and pouring of liberation on the ground. It was within this context that that the tradition of Lagos with regard to the lagoon came up. It was noted that whoever works against the throne and the interest and peaceful co-existence of Lagos would end up in the lagoon as per tradition.
Oba Akiolu stated further that the Igbo people have not betrayed the throne. Lagos has also not betrayed the Igbo people. Lagos has done so much to make the Igbos comfortable and to prosper. For this, we expect reciprocal respect and understanding. The Oba of Lagos prays that the Lagoon and the throne will continue to bless and protect all those who reside and visit Lagos. Oba Akiolu is the father of all irrespective of tribe, religion or political persuasion. In Lagos, we have an old traditional proverb that relates to the Lagoon. The Lagoon is unique to Lagos. The proverb stresses the need for unity and understanding when you do business in an environment and in this case when you live and do business in Lagos.
Oba Akiolu prays for peace for the land of Lagos and prosperity for all its inhabitants.

The Jagaban Borgu and former governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu in his own message to the Ndigbo of Lagos, appealed to them thus:
“The Oba is not a politician. His job is to accommodate all political parties whether PDP, APC or SDP. So what did he (Ubah) (sic) go and do at the palace?

“To you Igbos, don’t we pay your children’s school fees like others? Or is it the palace that pays for it? When we conducted an exam and a spelling competition, an Igbo boy, Ebuka, from Anambra, came first and he became the governor for one day.

“Those that won the competition three times in a row were Igbo. Ebuka was sent to Switzerland computer school and then Obafemi Awolowo University. We did not say he was an Igbo boy and he would not enjoy. He became an executive in Oando and he is now in Canada.

“Another boy, Felix, won and went to Switzerland and OAU. We paid his scholarship; we did not deny him because he is Igbo.”

Meanwhile, the Lagos State APC Publicity Secretary Joe Igbokwe in a separate statement issued on behalf of the Lagos State Chapter of the APC, tried to smoothen ruffled feathers by alleging that the monarch may have spoken out of anger.

Igbokwe implored his kinsmen not to mete out their anger on the APC governorship candidate, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, who though the intended beneficiary of the Oba's controversial statements, knew nothing about the incident.

The statement read;
“Oba Rilwan Akiolu of Lagos is not a card-carrying member of APC. He is not a leader in the APC. He does not speak for the APC. He did not speak for Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state.

“He did not speak for our national leader Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. He did not speak for the incoming governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode. His Royal Highness is at liberty to speak for himself and he spoke for himself only.

“Lagos APC appeals to Ndigbo not to take the statement as the position of the party in Lagos. We passionately appeal to Ndigbo not to carry the statement credited to Oba Akiolu too far so as not to put a knife on things that have held us together for more than 50 years now.

“If out of annoyance, you throw your cap away, a mad man will take it and use it forever.”

It is anyones guess how the cookie will crumble come April 11th 2015. What is certain is that the Igbos seem to hold the Permanent Voter's Card, or shall I daresay the trump card that may enthrone the next governor of Lagos State. Time alone will tell.

Source:https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2692074427933713541#editor/target=post;postID=3302800478709147959;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=0;src=postname
Re: Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? by obaobirin: 11:46pm On Apr 07, 2015
Do you think that with all thatis happening PDP Will win Lagos state?

Well you have your choice

Ambo 2015

1 Like

Re: Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? by Nobody: 11:46pm On Apr 07, 2015
And you think it is all igbo people that are dumb and will not know that the oba might be working for agbaje??

1 Like

Re: Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? by evilspirit: 11:48pm On Apr 07, 2015
Lagos belong to Yorubas. Igbos are vistors. Your overbearing attitude is become too much.
I have sacked all igbos subordinates in my office.

Remove igbos from key government position.
Expel of igbos from government schools
Demolish Alaba and Ladipo markets
Sack all igbos from civil service.
Stop selling land to igbos
Tax igbos double other tribes
Re: Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? by lecat(m): 11:51pm On Apr 07, 2015
obaobirin:
Do you think that with all thatis happening PDP Will win Lagos state?

Well you have your choice

Ambo 2015

Politically on the issue of governance in Lagos State, I am neutral at the moment.I just say things the way that I see them. To answer your question, it's a close call and anyone can win it.
Re: Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? by bamidele029: 11:52pm On Apr 07, 2015
lecat:

Politically on the issue of governance in Lagos State, I am neutral at the moment.I just say things the way that I see them. To answer your question, it's a close call and anyone can win it.

, Ambode will win by a landslide, fact
Re: Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? by ELTON123(m): 11:55pm On Apr 07, 2015
evilspirit:
Lagos belong to Yorubas. Igbos are vistors. Your overbearing attitude is become too much.

do you have common sense at all *just saying* undecided
Re: Has The APC Shot Itself In The Foot Before The April 11th 2015 Elections? by lecat(m): 11:59pm On Apr 07, 2015
evilspirit:

You commit a fallacy of hasty generalization my brother. I am a Yoruba man. "ko si eni ti a fi je Balogun ti ko ni si ibon yin l eekan". I believe you know what the proverb means. The Oba commited a faux pas, and he has been quick to try to appease all concerned.
Like it or not,the Igbos, Hausas, Ijaws, and other non Yorubas have a key role to play in the socio-economic life force of Lagos. It is enshrined in the constitution of Nigeria, and owning a PVC guarantees them the inalienable right to vote for candidates of their choice. Elections are won by canvassing superior arguments, not by intimidation or blackmail. The crux of my initial post is to ascertain the far reaching implications, if any, from the fallout of the Oba's speech. Peace.

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Resign From Politics Than Join APC – Aliyu / In Defence Of Jimi Agbaje / Boko Haram Gives South Africa 24 Hours To End Xenophobic Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.