Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer (21330 Views)

Photos Of A Nigerian Lawyer Who Is Also A Nun Sister / 7 Pros And Cons Of Becoming A Lawyer / Akwa Ibom Man Who Sells Doughnut Helped By A Nigerian Lawyer, Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Amodsun(m): 11:48pm On Apr 08, 2015
Being a lawyer can be crazy and weird at times, but hey, there are still many things about being a lawyer that I love so much. For some of us, it may not be too much money or a luxurious life characterised by sleek cars and great mansions; but it just could be other little crumbs that falls off the table of the profession.

I know you all would be expecting me to go talking about how heroic our works can be; rescuing the oppressed, protecting the week, fighting for people’s right and all of that, but I won’t. Of course those are noble deeds we do as lawyers, of which we take pride in. But can we be a little selfish here? Already they call us liars, how about them calling us selfish too? Like we care! Here are my little selfish reasons why I love being a lawyer-

1. I Love The Attention It Attracts

Oh please, who doesn't love attention? We all do, though the degree at which we crave for it may differ; so don’t give me that look. I love the feeling I usually get when I walk into a bank and one of the staff calls out in greeting to the hearing of everybody thus- “you are welcome barrister”. You can imagine the stares that such greeting generates, and to think that I am the focus of such is so cool. By the way, this is not peculiar to banking halls, it just happens everywhere. You all know most folks don’t know us by our names, and even the few that do, would rather call you a barrister than your name. This plays out in so many ways and I enjoy every bit of it. You can call me a kid, it’s okay, am just being honest here.

2. I Love The Feeling Of Fear We Trigger

Are you in doubt of this? Ask some policemen. I laugh when some of my colleagues narrate their experiences with policemen, especially at the police station. A policeman on sighting a lawyer at the police station, probably on the invitation of a client, who is being detained, immediately turns into a tiger. It’s funny. Why would they turn into tigers all of a sudden? The guys are intimidated. Why are they intimidated? They are the bad guys, and here comes the good guys who won’t let them have their devilish ways. Naija police I hail o! You know what I do when I confront such scenarios? I pity them and try to assure them that I am their friend, while laughing in my mind because I know I am not their friend in anyway. They are bad. Yes I said it. Same goes for other folks who won’t just want to do the right thing. Talk of landlords who wouldn't want to follow due process in ejecting tenants out of their houses, creditors who also won’t follow the right means in recovering their debt, and many others. We are the good guys, and the bad guys hate us.

3. I Love The Controversial Aura

You will be shocked to hear all kinds of opinion people have about lawyers. Seriously, they don’t just think of us as liars; they think a whole lot of shit about us. I heard some even think we all are occult members; can you beat that? I intend to conduct a public opinion on this one of these days, and I can’t wait to really hear stuffs people think and say about us. But come to think of it, who even gives a heck about what they all say and think? I just love that controversial air. Don’t you?

4. I Love The Fact That We Can Be Trusted

It takes a lot of faith and trust for people to share intimate things with you. We are talking about secrets and confidential information here. People literally lay their lives bare before their lawyers. Folks trust us with their lives. It’s humbling. I know it also comes with a great responsibility of not betraying that trust.

I love being a lawyer, don’t you? Let’s hear your own reasons why you love being a lawyer. I actually mean your selfish, crazy reasons!
Legooooii gringrin

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by henribj(m): 12:01am On Apr 09, 2015
okay thanks for telling us you are a liar, sorry i meant lawyer..
i have your contact information, will contact you when your services are required, you also do pro bono work right?
grin

18 Likes

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Amodsun(m): 12:29am On Apr 09, 2015
I enjoy d fear we trigger grin grin
See a doctor ur problems with lawyers are ancestral...#it did not start from you

Already looking 4 pro bono case??...haven't d wind of change knocked in yah life... cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by henribj(m): 12:31am On Apr 09, 2015
hahahaha
i am still waiting for may 27th o, the wind of change never reach this side, some evil hijackers are still doing them thing.
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by jamex93(m): 12:53am On Apr 09, 2015
Some lawyers na ole o
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by EHITZ(m): 12:28pm On Apr 14, 2015
i like the fact that as a lawyer, you don"t struggle to feed yourself, you can start off on your own. and the beautiful thing is that you can become a millionaire any minute.

12 Likes

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Amodsun(m): 11:31pm On Mar 21, 2016
Gbam. ...ur on point... But it's a very serious business, gonna work ur ass out

1 Like

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 23, 2016
true brother. to make it interesting, after I watched The Firm and Suits (both season films), all I aspire to be is an attorney...

1 Like

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by sukkot: 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
overcharging niggas for charge and bail cases undecided
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by lielbree: 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Aviero: 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
Some Lawyers disgust me in a way. No offence!

They see themselves as very intelligent whereas they know nothing. Bunch of black and white wearing liars!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by boboLIL(m): 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
Dunno lawyers and apc who lie pass... They are easily manipulated....its a nice profession tho

1 Like

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Damfostopper(m): 4:32pm On Mar 23, 2016
One year after.... Dis poo makes fp.... Who lawyer don help?..... Bunch of liars

1 Like

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by merits(m): 4:33pm On Mar 23, 2016

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by seunlayi(m): 4:33pm On Mar 23, 2016
[size=13pt]..... You like to know the truth but prefers to defend the lies just because money is involved[/size]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by optional1(f): 4:33pm On Mar 23, 2016
Really!

Tell Us more pls!
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Lilimax(f): 4:33pm On Mar 23, 2016
Ok nah!
But growing up, we were told that dead Lawyers are usually buried facing down inside the coffin
because of numerous lies they told during their life time embarassed
How true? shocked

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 23, 2016
"I love the fact that we can be trusted". grin grin grin grin who said so?.

1 Like

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 23, 2016
This part na pre-lawyer thoughts tongue

@Amodsun, rescuing the oppressed, protecting the week, fighting for people’s right and all of that, but I won’t. Of course those are noble deeds we do as lawyers, of which we take pride in.
herbie27:
"I love the fact that we can be trusted". grin grin grin >: who said so.
Confidentiality

6 Likes

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by sexymoma(f): 4:36pm On Mar 23, 2016
You don't like the fact that you can lie for africa
that's why most of you end up been care taker of some ancient building
tongue

4 Likes

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 23, 2016
EHITZ:
i like the fact that as a lawyer, you don"t struggle to feed yourself, you can start off on your own. and the beautiful thing is that you can become a millionaire any minute.
Bar M after years of practice is still struggling to feed.
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by ayatt(m): 4:38pm On Mar 23, 2016
proudly law student

5 Likes

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by steve308(m): 4:39pm On Mar 23, 2016
Amodsun:
Being a lawyer can be crazy and weird at times, but hey, there are still many things about being a lawyer that I love so much. For some of us, it may not be too much money or a luxurious life characterised by sleek cars and great mansions; but it just could be other little crumbs that falls off the table of the profession.

I know you all would be expecting me to go talking about how heroic our works can be; rescuing the oppressed, protecting the week, fighting for people’s right and all of that, but I won’t. Of course those are noble deeds we do as lawyers, of which we take pride in. But can we be a little selfish here? Already they call us liars, how about them calling us selfish too? Like we care! Here are my little selfish reasons why I love being a lawyer-

1. I Love The Attention It Attracts

Oh please, who doesn't love attention? We all do, though the degree at which we crave for it may differ; so don’t give me that look. I love the feeling I usually get when I walk into a bank and one of the staff calls out in greeting to the hearing of everybody thus- “you are welcome barrister”. You can imagine the stares that such greeting generates, and to think that I am the focus of such is so cool. By the way, this is not peculiar to banking halls, it just happens everywhere. You all know most folks don’t know us by our names, and even the few that do, would rather call you a barrister than your name. This plays out in so many ways and I enjoy every bit of it. You can call me a kid, it’s okay, am just being honest here.

2. I Love The Feeling Of Fear We Trigger

Are you in doubt of this? Ask some policemen. I laugh when some of my colleagues narrate their experiences with policemen, especially at the police station. A policeman on sighting a lawyer at the police station, probably on the invitation of a client, who is being detained, immediately turns into a tiger. It’s funny. Why would they turn into tigers all of a sudden? The guys are intimidated. Why are they intimidated? They are the bad guys, and here comes the good guys who won’t let them have their devilish ways. Naija police I hail o! You know what I do when I confront such scenarios? I pity them and try to assure them that I am their friend, while laughing in my mind because I know I am not their friend in anyway. They are bad. Yes I said it. Same goes for other folks who won’t just want to do the right thing. Talk of landlords who wouldn't want to follow due process in ejecting tenants out of their houses, creditors who also won’t follow the right means in recovering their debt, and many others. We are the good guys, and the bad guys hate us.

3. I Love The Controversial Aura

You will be shocked to hear all kinds of opinion people have about lawyers. Seriously, they don’t just think of us as liars; they think a whole lot of shit about us. I heard some even think we all are occult members; can you beat that? I intend to conduct a public opinion on this one of these days, and I can’t wait to really hear stuffs people think and say about us. But come to think of it, who even gives a heck about what they all say and think? I just love that controversial air. Don’t you?

4. I Love The Fact That We Can Be Trusted

It takes a lot of faith and trust for people to share intimate things with you. We are talking about secrets and confidential information here. People literally lay their lives bare before their lawyers. Folks trust us with their lives. It’s humbling. I know it also comes with a great responsibility of not betraying that trust.

I love being a lawyer, don’t you? Let’s hear your own reasons why you love being a lawyer. I actually mean your selfish, crazy reasons!
Legooooii gringrin nah some thing is obviously missing...envelope should be number 5
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 23, 2016
How about the universal hate for lawyers? do you love that as well??
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by omonla555: 4:41pm On Mar 23, 2016
To those that are not learned
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 23, 2016
Amodsun:

[b]2. I Love The Feeling Of Fear We Trigger

Are you in doubt of this? Ask some policemen. I laugh when some of my colleagues narrate their experiences with policemen, especially at the police station. A policeman on sighting a lawyer at the police station, probably on the invitation of a client, who is being detained, immediately turns into a tiger. It’s funny. Why would they turn into tigers all of a sudden? The guys are intimidated. Why are they intimidated? They are the bad guys, and here comes the good guys who won’t let them have their devilish ways. Naija police I hail o! You know what I do when I confront such scenarios? I pity them and try to assure them that I am their friend, while laughing in my mind because I know I am not their friend in anyway. They are bad. Yes I said it. Same goes for other folks who won’t just want to do the right thing. Talk of landlords who wouldn't want to follow due process in ejecting tenants out of their houses, creditors who also won’t follow the right means in recovering their debt, and many others. We are the good guys, and the bad guys hate us.[/b]

Which fear do you think you trigger.......

Has a doctor ever looked at your test result and given you a really worried look while telling you "this your case is very serious"

Or have you waited to collect a hiv test result and the lab technicians while trying to sort out your result keep looking up over the table to you time and again.....

My brother go to the hospital especially teaching hospitals and realise you do not trigger any fear....

21 Likes

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by esonuu(m): 4:42pm On Mar 23, 2016
Real lawyer or charge and bail lawyer?

1 Like

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Kpokom: 4:45pm On Mar 23, 2016
POSTER YOU ARE FUCKING LYING. Listen in this life if you ain't gat MONEY, you are bleeped
Lawyer or whatever rubbish you are doesn't move anyone. Common the world is growing everyday. Get the fucking MONEY

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:45pm On Mar 23, 2016
sukkot:
overcharging niggas for charge and bail cases undecided
You can bail yourself or ask someone to do it for you

You have no case, so stop crying joor tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 23, 2016
daretodiffer:
Confidentiality
in as much as lawyers are good at keeping secrets, mostly when they have to defend a client, that doesn't mean ppl thrust them.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Quitting My Bank Job And Travelling To Canada For MSC, The Right Move ?? / Is It Good For A Boss To Slap An Employee / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.