Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,420 members, 7,819,514 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer (21346 Views)

Photos Of A Nigerian Lawyer Who Is Also A Nun Sister / 7 Pros And Cons Of Becoming A Lawyer / Akwa Ibom Man Who Sells Doughnut Helped By A Nigerian Lawyer, Effiong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Rick9(m): 9:55pm On Mar 23, 2016
Na so one law student wan dey talk to me dey throw questions dey give me form of interrogation, e dey use logic, I just come dey laugh eh, for my mind I say so this one think say I be one of those ignorantio abi. Eheheheheh
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Sexyolori(f): 10:20pm On Mar 23, 2016
Love a lawyer, it's legal. Lolz
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by terrence12(m): 10:22pm On Mar 23, 2016
Amodsun:
Being a lawyer can be crazy and weird at times, but hey, there are still many things about being a lawyer that I love so much. For some of us, it may not be too much money or a luxurious life characterised by sleek cars and great mansions; but it just could be other little crumbs that falls off the table of the profession.

I know you all would be expecting me to go talking about how heroic our works can be; rescuing the oppressed, protecting the week, fighting for people’s right and all of that, but I won’t. Of course those are noble deeds we do as lawyers, of which we take pride in. But can we be a little selfish here? Already they call us liars, how about them calling us selfish too? Like we care! Here are my little selfish reasons why I love being a lawyer-

1. I Love The Attention It Attracts

Oh please, who doesn't love attention? We all do, though the degree at which we crave for it may differ; so don’t give me that look. I love the feeling I usually get when I walk into a bank and one of the staff calls out in greeting to the hearing of everybody thus- “you are welcome barrister”. You can imagine the stares that such greeting generates, and to think that I am the focus of such is so cool. By the way, this is not peculiar to banking halls, it just happens everywhere. You all know most folks don’t know us by our names, and even the few that do, would rather call you a barrister than your name. This plays out in so many ways and I enjoy every bit of it. You can call me a kid, it’s okay, am just being honest here.

2. I Love The Feeling Of Fear We Trigger

Are you in doubt of this? Ask some policemen. I laugh when some of my colleagues narrate their experiences with policemen, especially at the police station. A policeman on sighting a lawyer at the police station, probably on the invitation of a client, who is being detained, immediately turns into a tiger. It’s funny. Why would they turn into tigers all of a sudden? The guys are intimidated. Why are they intimidated? They are the bad guys, and here comes the good guys who won’t let them have their devilish ways. Naija police I hail o! You know what I do when I confront such scenarios? I pity them and try to assure them that I am their friend, while laughing in my mind because I know I am not their friend in anyway. They are bad. Yes I said it. Same goes for other folks who won’t just want to do the right thing. Talk of landlords who wouldn't want to follow due process in ejecting tenants out of their houses, creditors who also won’t follow the right means in recovering their debt, and many others. We are the good guys, and the bad guys hate us.

3. I Love The Controversial Aura

You will be shocked to hear all kinds of opinion people have about lawyers. Seriously, they don’t just think of us as liars; they think a whole lot of shit about us. I heard some even think we all are occult members; can you beat that? I intend to conduct a public opinion on this one of these days, and I can’t wait to really hear stuffs people think and say about us. But come to think of it, who even gives a heck about what they all say and think? I just love that controversial air. Don’t you?

4. I Love The Fact That We Can Be Trusted

It takes a lot of faith and trust for people to share intimate things with you. We are talking about secrets and confidential information here. People literally lay their lives bare before their lawyers. Folks trust us with their lives. It’s humbling. I know it also comes with a great responsibility of not betraying that trust.

I love being a lawyer, don’t you? Let’s hear your own reasons why you love being a lawyer. I actually mean your selfish, crazy reasons!
Legooooii gringrin

Aunty trusting a lawyer is like jumping from the empire state building without a parachute nd somehow hoping u would land safely
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Pdizzle(m): 10:30pm On Mar 23, 2016
You people practically beg politicians for money!

2 Likes

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by ycat: 11:16pm On Mar 23, 2016
We call lawyers by their names with either mr/mrs/ms, not barrister. And those ancient wigs, so outdated and backward.
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by AngelicM: 11:26pm On Mar 23, 2016
I am a lawyer.truly I love d feelin I get wen my family members tells me they told others not to play any dirty game with them cos our sister is a lawyer.then d police reaction ofcourse and lastly being in a courtroom where female lawyers a few(some northern states)d stares u get are amazin!
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by babeface3: 11:46pm On Mar 23, 2016
They feel I know everything grin
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Doubleagent008(m): 11:56pm On Mar 23, 2016
herbie27:
"I love the fact that we can be trusted". grin grin grin grin who said so?.
No mind the guy. trust bawo. trust A lawyer at your own peril.
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 12:07am On Mar 24, 2016
H
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Nobody: 4:54am On Mar 24, 2016
Charge & bail lawyers
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by obidevine(m): 6:57am On Mar 24, 2016
Amodsun:
Being a lawyer can be crazy and weird at times, but hey, there are still many things about being a lawyer that I love so much. For some of us, it may not be too much money or a luxurious life characterised by sleek cars and great mansions; but it just could be other little crumbs that falls off the table of the profession.

I know you all would be expecting me to go talking about how heroic our works can be; rescuing the oppressed, protecting the week, fighting for people’s right and all of that, but I won’t. Of course those are noble deeds we do as lawyers, of which we take pride in. But can we be a little selfish here? Already they call us liars, how about them calling us selfish too? Like we care! Here are my little selfish reasons why I love being a lawyer-

Oh please, who doesn't love attention? We all do, though the degree at which we crave for it may differ; so don’t give me that look. I love the feeling I usually get when I walk into a bank and one of the staff calls out in greeting to the hearing of everybody thus- “you are welcome barrister”. You can imagine the stares that such greeting generates, and to think that I am the focus of such is so cool. By the way, this is not peculiar to banking halls, it just happens everywhere. You all know most folks don’t know us by our names, and even the few that do, would rather call you a barrister than your name. This plays out in so many ways and I enjoy every bit of it. You can call me a kid, it’s okay, am just being honest here.

Are you in doubt of this? Ask some policemen. I laugh when some of my colleagues narrate their experiences with policemen, especially at the police station. A policeman on sighting a lawyer at the police station, probably on the invitation of a client, who is being detained, immediately turns into a tiger. It’s funny. Why would they turn into tigers all of a sudden? The guys are intimidated. Why are they intimidated? They are the bad guys, and here comes the good guys who won’t let them have their devilish ways. Naija police I hail o! You know what I do when I confront such scenarios? I pity them and try to assure them that I am their friend, while laughing in my mind because I know I am not their friend in anyway. They are bad. Yes I said it. Same goes for other folks who won’t just want to do the right thing. Talk of landlords who wouldn't want to follow due process in ejecting tenants out of their houses, creditors who also won’t follow the right means in recovering their debt, and many others. We are the good guys, and the bad guys hate us.

You will be shocked to hear all kinds of opinion people have about lawyers. Seriously, they don’t just think of us as liars; they think a whole lot of shit about us. I heard some even think we all are occult members; can you beat that? I intend to conduct a public opinion on this one of these days, and I can’t wait to really hear stuffs people think and say about us. But come to think of it, who even gives a heck about what they all say and think? I just love that controversial air. Don’t you?

It takes a lot of faith and trust for people to share intimate things with you. We are talking about secrets and confidential information here. People literally lay their lives bare before their lawyers. Folks trust us with their lives. It’s humbling. I know it also comes with a great responsibility of not betraying that trust.

I love being a lawyer, don’t you? Let’s hear your own reasons why you love being a lawyer. I actually mean your selfish, crazy reasons!
Legooooii gringrin

Mr Legal Luminary, now that you're a lawyer let's do legal real estate business, Check my signature.
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by ClassCaptain(m): 7:17am On Mar 24, 2016
henribj:
okay thanks for telling us you are a liar, sorry i meant lawyer..
i have your contact information, will contact you when your services are required, you also do pro bono work right?
Lol grin
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by ugochuks95: 7:33am On Mar 24, 2016
Rick9:
Law students for Uniben dem go just dey form like say Na dem know pass oh, me nor dey ever send cos as a Philosophy student I see myself far better than those law students, I see them as folks beneath me, and that without us they can't survive after all the borrowed Logic from us, so they are not our equal in anyway, without Logic a lawyer is dead.

N.B I applied for Philosophy oh I choosed it over law.
.U speak like an uneducated fellow , you are just pained that you where not given law.u must be a fresher,u speak like someone that is suffering from NON COMPOS MENTIS i.e disease of d mind or reasoning. philosophy is way below LAW in d pecking order.philosopher my foot. next time think before u comment.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Rick9(m): 8:37am On Mar 24, 2016
ugochuks95:
.U speak like an uneducated fellow , you are just pained that you where not given law.u must be a fresher,u speak like someone that is suffering from NON COMPOS MENTIS i.e disease of d mind or reasoning. philosophy is way below LAW in d pecking order.philosopher my foot. next time think before u comment.
I applied for Philosophy OK, it was not a course I was forced to study. And why would I feel bad that I wasn't given law when I didn't apply for it. Law is beneath Philosophy.
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Rick9(m): 8:41am On Mar 24, 2016
These lawyers just feel that they own the world, and that they are the most smartest people in the world. Mtcheeewwwww
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by Deguy12: 10:58am On Mar 24, 2016
[b]Naija Mentality.[/b]
Amodsun:

Legooooii gringrin
Re: 4 Crazy Things I Love About Being A Lawyer by obynaDmob(m): 1:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
iamkingzlee:
Yes!!!! if you love firm and suits trust me, you"ll love "scandal". I envy lawyers mehn.. to even worsen the case, Naijaboiy is soon to be one. abasi mbok!! cry me a river... grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can You Take A Job That Pays Less Than N50,000 As A BSc Holder? / Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria / Share Your Experience With Female Bosses.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.