Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Before You Hire That Maid! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Before You Hire That Maid! (4457 Views)

Pictures Of Lady Who Brought Her Maid To Fan Her In Salon Go Viral / 'my Husband Rented A Flat For Our Maid' - Wife / When your maid becomes the madam. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Hire That Maid! by axeman10(m): 6:42am On Apr 09, 2015
I don't know if this topic has been discussed extensively on this forum before. But a reminder to parents who have hired or about to hire a maid will not be too much.

Here is my opinion on the important security steps to take before entrusting your beloved children to that stranger you call maid/nanny.

There is nothing wrong in needing a maid if you have the capacity. We cannot rule out the dynamics of big cities and today's economic realities which usually make both parents to work full time in order to provide the best for their children and their own retirement.

The nanny profession should be regulated and these nannies could be certified by appropriate regulating body. Even at that the onus is on the parents to make full fledged investigations about the person you are entrusting your lives and the lives of your beloved kids with.

There is nothing wrong with getting a nanny online as long as you can take your time to make proper inquiries about the person you are hiring.

This should include and not limited to the following:

- Get the all the addresses the maid has lived over the last 5-7years and try to make independent enquiries about her in the neighbourhood where she lived. Ask people not only in that house, but few blocks away too.

As part of your selection criteria, you can choose from the ones where you can easily verify their addresses.

- Get to know the maid's previous employers and their addresses. You will be amazed what you'll find out.

This may look tedious, but (heck!) if your kids means the world to you, then you can't be too lazy to go all the length to know about the person you are entrusting their lives with.

Finally, take your time, don't be too desperate to get that maid and if you can't do the verification yourself, get someone you really trust their judgement to do it for you.
Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by Mattin(m): 7:49am On Apr 09, 2015
This is what an ordinary common sense owner who want to hire a maid should know. Now that you have said it, I hope they will swift into action and not endanger their kids and family again.
My brother got one; she has one very funny skin disease. It was just God that helped them detect on time!

#ihatehousemaid

I will rather join my wife to do cover up for the job of the house maid.
Ladies of nowadays are now lazy and don't want to work out their own salvation except with the help of a house maid.
Shior!

1 Like

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by axeman10(m): 8:12am On Apr 09, 2015
Yes. It cannot be overemphasized. We have to constantly remind parents out there. Raising kids comes with a lot of hard work commitment and responsibilities.

We cannot blame those who choose to engage the services of maids, but if one absolutely need to, it is better to get it right 100% since this profession generally has no form of regulation or certification in Nigeria (I may be wrong though).

Lots of jobless hawks out there who would do anything to get money including kidnapping innocent children.

1 Like

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by LewsTherin: 9:39am On Apr 09, 2015
A machine does the laundry
A cleaning lady comes in once a week for a thorough cleaning
Services like www.easyshop.com do the shopping once a month
We cook once a month and freeze in small batches
A creche watches the baby during the day and she's learning much faster than her peers

Why get a maid at all?

1 Like

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by blesoh(f): 12:11pm On Apr 09, 2015
Hmmmmm make i suffer alone oh b4 i come nairaland come d tell stories.
Maids ds days re nt smiling better i take my cousin's daughter or son to stay wid me.

1 Like

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by rolled: 1:26pm On Apr 09, 2015
LewsTherin:
A machine does the laundry
A cleaning lady comes in once a week for a thorough cleaning
Services like www.easyshop.com do the shopping once a month
We cook once a month and freeze in small batches
A creche watches the baby during the day and she's learning much faster than her peers

Why get a maid at all?
If you work at Night like a Doctor and hubby goes offshore am sure your baby would spend the night at the creche
Your way of life is totally different from Millions
So that "who needs a maid"is uncalled for

6 Likes

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by ireneidiva(f): 4:50pm On Apr 09, 2015
blesoh:
Hmmmmm make i suffer alone oh b4 i come nairaland come d tell stories.
Maids ds days re nt smiling better i take my cousin's daughter or son to stay wid me.
Your cousin will give out his kids to be used as maids? Smh

2 Likes

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by blesoh(f): 6:45pm On Apr 09, 2015
ireneidiva:

Your cousin will give out his kids to be used as maids? Smh
so if ur niece stays wid u,wont he or she help out wid little huz chores?
Wait a minute hw do u even treat a maid?
Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by ireneidiva(f): 7:04pm On Apr 09, 2015
blesoh:

so if ur niece stays wid u,wont he or she help out wid little huz chores?
Wait a minute hw do u even treat a maid?
You did not say your niece stays with you. You said you'll go and bring your cousins child to stay with you. That means you plan on using the child as a maid. What kind of parents will release their child to be used as a maid 1st of all. And secondly, I don't use children as maids, maids have to be above 18. Then they can be mature enough and use their salaries for useful things. So if it is a child you are talking about, that is very wrong. Do your chores yourself or go through the right means and get a mature maid.

1 Like

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by blesoh(f): 9:32pm On Apr 09, 2015
ireneidiva:

You did not say your niece stays with you. You said you'll go and bring your cousins child to stay with you. That means you plan on using the child as a maid. What kind of parents will release their child to be used as a maid 1st of all. And secondly, I don't use children as maids, maids have to be above 18. Then they can be mature enough and use their salaries for useful things. So if it is a child you are talking about, that is very wrong. Do your chores yourself or go through the right means and get a mature maid.
and i said i can never use a maid in my home,i stayed wid aunt nd her kids we do d huz chores togeda does dat mean its child labour or wat.
Sorry ma'am my niece is coming to stay wid me by nxt week while am in d kitchen shez in d palor wid d kids playing.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by blesoh(f): 9:38pm On Apr 09, 2015
ireneidiva:

where did i say i plan using he/her as a maid maybe u treat pple anyhw anyone dat stays wid me automatically hez my child,by d way i hv two kids now widout any help frm anyone so if my niece comes its nt gonna mk any diffrnt cos i can do my chores,just to stay wid d kids n play after skul.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by LewsTherin: 1:10am On Apr 10, 2015
rolled:

If you work at Night like a Doctor and hubby goes offshore am sure your baby would spend the night at the creche
Your way of life is totally different from Millions
So that "who needs a maid"is uncalled for

Not at all. If my routine is different from "millions" that work at night and offshore, it's similar to other millions that don't so the phrase is still valid. I have met way too many people whose requirement for a maid is completely unnecessary and is only because it os seen as the norm - my parents and siblings inclusive.

So I say again, why get a maid at all?
Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by axeman10(m): 4:47am On Apr 10, 2015
Mattin:
This is what an ordinary common sense owner who want to hire a maid should know. Now that you have said it, I hope they will swift into action and not endanger their kids and family again.
My brother got one; she has one very funny skin disease. It was just God that helped them detect on time!

#ihatehousemaid

I will rather join my wife to do cover up for the job of the house maid.
Ladies of nowadays are now lazy and don't want to work out their own salvation except with the help of a house maid.
Shior!

You are absolutely right. A medical is also very very important. You wouldn't want to hire someone with HIV or TB around your kids.
Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by Solozzo(m): 9:42pm On Apr 10, 2015
If most couples in western countries can do without house maids so can we. There are daycare centres that can support your children. There is need to support each other, organize work and leave schedules. The fact remains that many Nigerian men are not ready to help in house chores or look after the children.
Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by axeman10(m): 10:14am On Apr 11, 2015
Solozzo:
If most couples in western countries can do without house maids so can we. There are daycare centres that can support your children. There is need to support each other, organize work and leave schedules. The fact remains that many Nigerian men are not ready to help in house chores or look after the children.

You said it all. With many stories about abusive maids abound, I believe we men need reorientation about helping out with domestic chores.

If you do not allow your wife to be a 'full-time' housewife, if she is contributing her own little way to boost the finances of the family, I see no reasons why we shouldn't help with house chores.

Grooming kids and keeping the house the way you want your visitors to see it is no mean feat - a full time job and our women need to be supported.

Gone were those days where the alpha macho male crosses legs on the table sipping Gulder while the woman works her socks of cleaning, cooking, taking care of kids; and in the dead of night you still pounce on her like a hungry lion.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by Yeske: 7:56am On Apr 17, 2015
Solozzo:

This is the challenge faced by many women. I don't understand why some men cannot adjust. If you can't help your wife with chores then she should not be working. It is your duty to provide for your family everything they need. If your wife supports you, you should be able to support her with house chores too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Hire That Maid! by walemadu: 9:26am On Aug 27, 2015
Need a reliable and trained Housekeeper, Maid, Nanny or steward? Contact Haspol today

(1) (Reply)

Should Men Get Paternity Leave? / My Stepfather Impregnated Me / Is He Secretive Or I'm Being Nosy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.