Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,029 members, 7,835,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:44 AM

Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution (1387 Views)

A Discussion On God And Consciousness Between An Atheist And A Pantheist. / Is Restitution Necessary For Repentance? / *CHRISTIANS ONLY* Who Is Your Favourite Bible Villian And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution by Nobody: 9:15am On Apr 09, 2015
dear fellow Christian lets Discuss this topic for understanding sake.

Some time ago it was trending on blogs and forums that some Born again Christians returned their result as a sign of Restitution.
My questions now is ; is this wisdom or ignorant ?

"Therefore if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh and new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Does that not make the above verse vain?

If u return ur waec what about the Bsc u use ur waec to get ?

What about the money u use the result to earn?

Pls lets Discuss with the leading of the Holy spirit

cc: highyo, ifeann, gombs, winsomeX,
Sirjohn, and others pls contribute
Re: Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution by Ifeann(f): 7:38pm On Apr 09, 2015
Doluvincent1:

Some time ago it was trending on blogs and forums that some Born again Christians returned their result as a sign of Restitution.

"Therefore if any person is [ingrafted] in Christ (the Messiah) he is a new creation (a new creature altogether); the old [previous moral and spiritual condition] has passed away. Behold, the fresh and new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

I saw that topic a while back, his pastor asked him to return his certificate..

I wonder how many pastors will return tithes and First fruits that was stolen by corrupt politicians and "big bucks" church members and donated to their church.

My view is that the pastor asking him to return the certificate, the pastor is passing judgement, who made him judge.

If the certificate owner feels he cheated and has not earned it in anyway, and his conscience leads him to return it.... then that's fine. He must do it on his own conviction after praying seriously about it.

That's my one cent on this.
Re: Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution by Image123(m): 9:36pm On Apr 09, 2015
What is restitution?
Re: Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution by Gombs(m): 8:16am On Apr 10, 2015
Restitution is not compulsory, but if one wants to do it, fine.

Bible let's us know that the blood of Jesus cleans us from all unrighteousness, all we need do is come BOLDLY before the throne of Grace to obtain mercy and find grace to help in times of need.

If one cheated in waec, and later graduated from the university, and later feels bad, all he needs do is obtain forgiveness from God, and forgive him self too. However, if he wants to go write WAEC again an get admission into the university, no problems.

Read from here.

https://www.nairaland.com/1812560/understanding-restitution-part#24685596
Re: Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 10, 2015
thanks all
understanding is the key
Re: Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution by veecovee: 5:13pm On Apr 10, 2015
Doluvincent1:

restitution is very important in the sense that, it would be unfair for a thief to repent and continue to be using a car he stole and repainted, when he was an unbeliever. While sometimes he sees the owner or even knows where to reach the owner... think about it.
Re: Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution by Nobody: 10:29pm On Apr 10, 2015
I didn't say Restitution is not important.... And and the Discussions here is about Restitution and ur certificate. So I will be glad if u trow more light on it in relation to certificate issues
veecovee:
restitution is very important in the sense that, it would be unfair for a thief to repent and continue to be using a car he stole and repainted, when he was an unbeliever. While sometimes he sees the owner or even knows where to reach the owner... think about it.

God bless
Re: Christians Only! Discussion On Restitution by Image123(m): 12:15am On Apr 13, 2015
Doluvincent1:
I didn't say Restitution is not important.... And and the Discussions here is about Restitution and ur certificate. So I will be glad if u trow more light on it in relation to certificate issues

God bless

i asked before and i ask again; what is restitution?
Restitution i guess it generally means to return something to its rightful owner, to compensate for loss or damage. To me, i think it means repentance, or making your way right with men. i don't want to contribute to this or discuss this, but have to change that seeing the general perspectives from the OP to Gombs to Candour etc on this thread, here and even here.

i want to say and have to stress that restitution, like any other christian WORK is not justification. Justification is BY FAITH, i cannot overemphasize that. Because what many christians argument boils down to is about justification or being saved or going to heaven/hell. So that if a person says deed A is good or bad, the conscious and unconscious perception and conclusion is that doing/not doing deed A determines who is justified or a true christian or not. The thief at the cross was justified by believing/faith in Jesus. Of course he must have had restitution to do but he could not and did not, and it did not stop him from being in paradise "today" with Jesus. i have to harp again, restitution is not justification or salvation. There is no good work that can save but faith and God's grace.

So, restitution is making your way right with MEN. Repentance and forgiveness of sins settles our ways being right with GOD. Restitution settles our ways being right with men. Like someone already quoted in one of the threads,
Act 24:16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void of offense toward God, and toward men.

Restitution is an EXERCISE, it is godliness. Good works is godliness. When we are saved, it is the real us that is saved. It is the real us that is new and alive. We grow in this life and let it extend to our minds and bodies and circumstances.
2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

If your body owed me or owed the bank 200,000 before you were saved or in Christ. You still owe me or the bank after you are saved. The blood of Jesus does not erase that fact or pay your rent. Your old rent and old 3rd class do not just pass away. We do not just 'spiritualize' everything that way. A criminal serving a life sentence or someone having HIV or sickle cell will not necessarily lose that condition when he comes into Christ. That you are carrying 18th position in class or having a cgpa of 1.8 does not disappear by repentance or new creatureism. When you right your ways with God, it is also good and perhaps imperative that you right your ways with men. So if you slapped me yesterday, it is okay you say sorry today after becoming a new creature at church or wherever. In fact, most restituting acts usually lead to conviction of others and the glory and fear of God. This is what the Holy Spirit does when He comes.
Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

It is not unusual that the Holy Spirit prompts new believers to do restitution, actually it is a chief sign. Just like midwives look for some signs and responses from a new born babe. Perhaps and unfortunately over time and due to external influence, such things may be trivialized, scorned, mocked, and the conscience hardened against, it is not unusual or of the devil. The whole book of Philemon was chiefly about restitution BTW. Onesimus was Philemon's run away servant who had met Paul and become a new creature. Paul however sent him back to Philemon and even offered to pay Onesimus' debt though he trusted Philemon to forgive it if any. My post is not a thorough explanation on restitution but the point being pushed is that restitution is actually biblical and something that fellow new testament christians practised. There are other scriptures.
Like in everything basically, there is a proper way to doing them. Even the simplest things if done wrongly can lead to problem. Drinking water, eating, crossing the road and driving can all lead to death or can be simple every day tasks done for years and decades. Same with restitution, preaching, evangelism, prayer, giving, everything. When restituting, seek counsel from God and from other mature brethren. There is usually no one answer solves all.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Man Became A Christian After A Devine Encounter With Jesus Christ / Let's Analys Exodus 22:18: ''thou Shalt Not Suffer The Witch To Live'' / Photos: Masjid al-Haram mosque In Saudi Arabia collapsed, 87 People Died.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.