Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,413 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:08 AM

Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? (1775 Views)

The Effects Of The Economy On Nigerians In Diaspora / Doctors In Diaspora: Cost Of Varicocelectomy In Uk, US Or India / African Parents In Diaspora: How Do You Raise Your Children In African Way? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 4:39pm On Apr 09, 2015
No doubt, Nigerians are very talented people. Even despite the different setbacks we go through in this country from epileptic power supply, non existent health care system, poorly trained security personels who want to be bribed at every opportunity, bad roads, bad government, tribalism, lack of loans etc we always manage to survive.

Especially when we leave this country. Immediately a Nigerian gets out of this country and steps foot in a country that has a good justice system, good infrastructure, state of the art technology etc we always seem to excel at an outstanding pace.

Especially those that are born there. Whenever there is news of an achievement of a "Nigerian born" or some of "Nigerian heritage", every Nigerian seems to want to take the glory.

Take for instance this topic @ https://www.nairaland.com/2245913/3-nigerians-win-uk-parliamentary. At this very moment, there are lots of igbo people on that thread singing praises to themselves about how Igbo people are making Nigerians proud while other tribes are trying to now bask under the "one Nigeria" mantra. Afterall, we are one na even if the oba wants some people to die in the lagoon.

But truely, when you take a deeper look at this issue, one cannot help but wonder if we truly deserve to claim this achievement as ours because as a matter of fact, taking that topic into consideration, those people wouldn't have gotten that kind of education if they were raised in Nigeria, they wouldn't have had the benefit of a working infrastructural system and most importantly, they wouldn't have been able to get to that level of politics simply because of trivial issues if they were here in Nigeria simply because of their tribe perhaps but have been giving the opportunity in a country that is caucasian/European based.

Personally, I find it pathetic that we are always first to claim such achievements by "Nigerians" living in diaspora when we would have most probably frowned at the person's ambition either because of his/her age, gender(females are mostly at the receiving end of this) or tribe.

So, the question is, do you think we have any right to claim such achievements simply because they immigrated from here or have Nigerian parents because funny enough, most of such people have British passports, schooled in British/foreign schools, observe foreign traditions and cultures, eat foreign food and can't make eba to save their lives and in most cases consider themselves to be British or nationals of whatever country they find themselves in and don't see themselves as Nigerians.

Modified

The recent case of Anthony Joshua also brings this issue up again

Do Nigerians really have the right to call him ours considering we did little to ensure his development as a boxer and even a particular coach rejected him from the boxing team?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by tpiadotcom: 4:43pm On Apr 09, 2015
what are the achievements being claimed?
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 8:30pm On Apr 09, 2015
tpiadotcom:
what are the achievements being claimed?

Achievements in sports, politics etc

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by tpiadotcom: 9:54pm On Apr 09, 2015
Some nigerians do.

if it doesnt benefit me personally, i tend not to.
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jul 21, 2015
Why not, everyone does it? Ask Germans who Einstein is.
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by capricun: 5:55am On Jul 22, 2015
theAtheist101:
I think he's a Jewish descent
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by Nobody: 6:06am On Jul 22, 2015
capricun:
I think he's a Jewish descent

No! His mother was a Jewish born in Germany, but his father was a German and later had an Italian citizenship. Jews claim him because they are Jews! Hitler hated people like Einstein because they were not full-blooded Germans.
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by capricun: 6:10am On Jul 22, 2015
theAtheist101:

No! His mother was a Jewish born in Germany, but his father was a German and later had an Italian citizenship. Jews claim him because they are Jews! Hitler hated people like Einstein because they were not full-blooded Germans.
wow thanks for enlightenment

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 5:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
theAtheist101:

Germany has produced lots of intellectuals who were born and rasied there, have access to infrastructure etc whereas Nigeria is a dream killer(presently).

There are few geniuses who have emerged from a purely "Nigerian" background, aside purely academics, because ordinarily the odds are against us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 22, 2015
hahn:

Germany has produced lots of intellectuals who were born and rasied there, have access to infrastructure etc whereas Nigeria is a dream killer(presently).

There are few geniuses who have emerged from a purely "Nigerian" background, aside purely academics, because ordinarily the odds are against us.

Why is Nigeria a dream killer? Is anyone called Nigeria? We make up that Nigeria! Do you own part and I would do mine, then Nigeria would be great. Don't expect us to reach this destination on a "smooth" road. Read about the American industrial revolution -- I believe we can also replicate that in Nigeria, because we have the resources to do so. Finally I ask, where was Germany after the second world war?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 7:06pm On Jul 22, 2015
theAtheist101:

Why is Nigeria a dream killer? Is anyone called Nigeria? We make up that Nigeria! Do you own part and I would do mine, then Nigeria would be great. Don't expect us to reach this destination on a "smooth" road. Read about the American industrial revolution -- I believe we can also replicate that in Nigeria, because we have the resources to do so. Finally I ask, where was Germany after the second world war?

No where. But Nigeria isn't recovering from a war as profound as WWII bro.

Look at my signature. I am an example of what a person can achieve in this country without the aid of the government. However, as a poeple it will be difficult to progress considering the lack of infrastructure, retrogressive culture, beliefs, values etc

It would be myopic to say Nigeria CAN'T progress but face reality bro, Nigeria is a dream killer. If you doubt, I bet the millions of unemployed youths, people who have to hold up torch lights while being operated on, people in ATM(awaiting trial) held for more than 2 years due to a lack of a judicial system just because they were "raided" etc will agree with me
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
hahn:

No where. But Nigeria isn't recovering from a war as profound as WWII bro.

Look at my signature. I am an example of what a person can achieve in this country without the aid of the government. However, as a poeple it will be difficult to progress considering the lack of infrastructure, retrogressive culture, beliefs, values etc

It would be myopic to say Nigeria CAN'T progress but face reality bro, Nigeria is a dream killer. If you doubt, I bet the millions of unemployed youths, people who have to hold up torch lights while being operated on, people in ATM(awaiting trial) held for more than 2 years due to a lack of a judicial system just because they were "raided" etc will agree with me

Yes, we are. The successive military regimes that ruled this country helped us to fight it. They were busy protecting their rule, rather than develop the country. These guys are the root of most the problems we face today, from corruption to education. But gradually we are healing. Even a Jonathan, whom I don't like, helped us to heal and I hope a Buhari would help us heal exponentially.

Good of you for making something of yourself, but why not try to make those hairs here? This way, you would employ (more) people and enrich yourself and the country at large more.

There would always be limitations in every endeavour, but we just have to learn to utilise what we have to get what we want. Even citizens of the developed countries cry for a better life. It is just like a second class lower student losing hope in himself, because he saw a student with a 2-1 coming for the same job interview. We can do it -- we have what we need to do the job.

I repeat, Nigeria doesn't kill anyone's dream, because it is nothing without Nigerians, but people kill their own dreams themselves. Most of us just want easy life, so we expect everything to just work normally and smoothly for us, but that is not always the case. Many of us are intellectually lazy (this you should know well with your interaction with those guys in the religion forum.) Imagine the trial and errors we humans did before we evolved from apes. The road was rough, but now we are reaping the benefits with relative easy stress.

Sad cases like that happen in every country including the USA (http://www.americasquarterly.org/aborn-prisons). Anything human can never be perfect, so injustice would certainly creep in. But it is how we manage our imperfections that matters. The fact is that their are so many criminals in the country now that resulted from the "war" the military fought. So many "unfortunate" criminals and unlucky people are made to queue for trail. Hopefully, with time things would get easier, if we start thinking to solve that problem.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 5:41pm On Jul 23, 2015
theAtheist101:

Yes, we are. The successive military regimes that ruled this country helped us to fight it. They were busy protecting their rule, rather than develop the country. These guys are the root of most the problems we face today, from corruption to education. But gradually we are healing. Even a Jonathan, whom I don't like, helped us to heal and I hope a Buhari would help us heal exponentially.

True

Good of you for making something of yourself, but why not try to make those hairs here? This way, you would employ (more) people and enrich yourself and the country at large more.

First of all, Nigerian ladies don't keep their hair long enough and even when they do they would have spoilt it with relaxer so their hairs have no quality. Secondly, there is really no infrastructure to support manufacturing in this country. No access to loans, when you buy your land you have to pay omo oniles their own share and even after that you have to generate your own electricity(and still pay exhuberant nepa bills), dig your own bore hole to get water and still be faced with bad roads that increase one's expenditure on car maintenance, bribe police check points etc. Even ibo men, despite their ingenuity will rather import finished products because you still save more and make more profit importing finished goods. Believe me, Nigeria still has a long way to becoming a manufacturing nation

There would always be limitations in every endeavour, but we just have to learn to utilise what we have to get what we want. Even citizens of the developed countries cry for a better life. It is just like a second class lower student losing hope in himself, because he saw a student with a 2-1 coming for the same job interview. We can do it -- we have what we need to do the job.

I repeat, Nigeria doesn't kill anyone's dream, because it is nothing without Nigerians, but people kill their own dreams themselves. Most of us just want easy life, so we expect everything to just work normally and smoothly for us, but that is not always the case. Many of us are intellectually lazy (this you should know well with your interaction with those guys in the religion forum.) Imagine the trial and errors we humans did before we evolved from apes. The road was rough, but now we are reaping the benefits with relative easy stress.

I agree. However, this is the basis of this thread. Why claim the achievements of Nigerians in diaspora when it seems almost impossible to replicate those achievements here. Even Nigerians who schooled abroad find it difficult here despite their exposure to sound work ethics

Sad cases like that happen in every country including the USA (http://www.americasquarterly.org/aborn-prisons). Anything human can never be perfect, so injustice would certainly creep in. But it is how we manage our imperfections that matters. The fact is that their are so many criminals in the country now that resulted from the "war" the military fought. So many "unfortunate" criminals and unlucky people are made to queue for trail. Hopefully, with time things would get easier, if we start thinking to solve that problem.

Of course, no where is perfect. Success is an individual thing and has nothing to do with location. I guess I was just thinking out loud

Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by pickabeau1: 5:55pm On Jul 23, 2015
what does the claiming do for the claimants

If its someone who started from here... I understand

why claim the success of 2nd generation immigrants who almost have no roots back home undecided
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 6:07pm On Jul 23, 2015
pickabeau1:
what does the claiming do for the claimants

If its someone who started from here... I understand

why claim the success of 2nd generation immigrants who almost have no roots back home undecided

You understand.

Especially when most of them have never eaten eba nor used a Nigerian passport, never been here, would never introduce him/herself as a Nigerian, can't speak the language etc
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by pickabeau1: 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2015
hahn:

You understand.

Especially when most of them have never eaten eba nor used a Nigerian passport, never been here, would never introduce him/herself as a Nigerian, can't speak the language etc

However it helps with sanitizing some of the bad news one hears about the country
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 6:15pm On Jul 23, 2015
pickabeau1:

However it helps with sanitizing some of the bad news one hears about the country

It helps console Nigerians. True

But the countries that trained them know better
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by pickabeau1: 6:16pm On Jul 23, 2015
hahn:

It helps console Nigerians. True

But the countries that trained them know better

Not only console

I mean the bad images caused by the yahoo yahoo
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 6:19pm On Jul 23, 2015
pickabeau1:

Not only console

I mean the bad images caused by the yahoo yahoo

Those guys ehn.

Drug dealers, corrupt officials too
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by pickabeau1: 6:24pm On Jul 23, 2015
hahn:

Those guys ehn.

Drug dealers, corrupt officials too

Exactly

So educational exploits by second gen immigrants help to dispel some of the bad news
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 23, 2015
hahn:

You understand.

Why can't for those that immigrated from here? That was why I used the Einstein's example. Didn't Nigeria claim the achievement of Soyinka?

First of all, Nigerian ladies don't keep their hair long enough and even when they do they would have spoilt it with relaxer so their hairs have no quality. Secondly, there is really no infrastructure to support manufacturing in this country. No access to loans, when you buy your land you have to pay omo oniles their own share and even after that you have to generate your own electricity(and still pay exhuberant nepa bills), dig your own bore hole to get water and still be faced with bad roads that increase one's expenditure on car maintenance, bribe police check points etc. Even ibo men, despite their ingenuity will rather import finished products because you still save more and make more profit importing finished goods. Believe me, Nigeria still has a long way to becoming a manufacturing nation.

Yet foreigners like Lebanese come here to overcome all your so called problems and employ us to "slave" for them. This is where I would blame the government for aiding us to ruin our manufacturing sector. If I was the president, I would ban all unnecessary importations. For instance, anyone who is not satisfied with her hair should go and cut from Nigerian horses to use.
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 8:25am On Jul 24, 2015
theAtheist101:

Why can't for those that immigrated from here? That was why I used the Einstein's example. Didn't Nigeria claim the achievement of Soyinka?

That's the point! Why should they? Whenever a Nigerian "escapes" from Nigeria and excels abroad our leaders start famzing like they pay welfare

Yet foreigners like Lebanese come here to overcome all your so called problems and employ us to "slave" for them. This is where I would blame the government for aiding us to ruin our manufacturing sector. If I was the president, I would ban all unnecessary importations. For instance, anyone who is not satisfied with her hair should go and cut from Nigerian horses to use.

Those lebanese have access to loans from their country and even Nigerian banks will rather grant them and Indians loans over a Nigerian entrepreneur.

Realistically, the government can't make such hasty decisions. If that happens you'll walk around nude and you won't have access to the internet. EVERYTHING is imported in this country. The clothes you are wearing right now is imported and I'm certain you use some imported gadgets in your house. If you have a car, that's imported too as well as your lappy or phone.. So, if you feel ladies should stick to their natural hair, you'll also have to stick to wearing leaves

Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 24, 2015
hahn:

Yet, do they still give some "lucky" Nigerians the loan and even grants? That is why I included unnecessary! The leader, which I assumed to be me, would state what the word means.
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by hahn(m): 9:31am On May 01, 2017
Bump
Re: Can Nigeria Really Claim The Achievements Of "Nigerians" In Diaspora? by lepasharon(f): 12:55am On May 02, 2017
Nooooooo !

by the way it seems to me the season of NIN and NID is coming back again

(1) (Reply)

Is This A Case Of "What A Woman Can Do, A Man Can Do Better" / I Tolerated Abuse For So Long - Anita Oyakhilome Speaks Of Divorce / Must Read: '16 Lessons I Learnt From Losing My Virginity'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.