Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,510 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:43 AM

Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? (2285 Views)

Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? / Why Do Africans Scar Themselves: Self Hate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 9:14am On Jan 28, 2009
What the hell is wrong with we Africans? Somebody will steal all your money, Bleep all our wives, kill as many as he can in the name of politics, and when he dies everybody will be singing his praises instead of cursing him. Why this mentality?
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 28, 2009
It is just UnAfrican to talk about the dead in bad way. Rather keep quiet about his bad side.
Reason: I don't know. It's just African culture.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 9:06am On Jan 29, 2009
You see. They are afraid. They don't want to discuss the topic for fear of evil spirit grin grin.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by Nobody: 9:22am On Jan 29, 2009
It's not just an African thing. Even the Italians respect the dead in spite of what they may had been while alive.

It's just a matter of respect. Perhaps in Africa there are also superstitions. Who knows?!
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by youngies(m): 2:21pm On Jan 29, 2009
The dead can't defend themselves, so it is furtile to accuse or talk bad about them.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by Ndipe(m): 9:03pm On Jan 29, 2009
Havent you heard of the saying, "Dont speak ill of the dead?" The underlying reason is that the dead cant defend themselves. Not that, I am innocent of speaking against them though.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 6:50am On Jan 30, 2009
The dead can't defend themselves, so it is furtile to accuse or talk bad about them.

Then, do they accept the fake and Umerited praises?
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 8:41pm On Feb 05, 2009
You see. They are afraid. They don't want to discuss the topic for fear of evil spirit grin grin .
grin grin
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by toshmann(m): 8:48pm On Feb 07, 2009
let the dead rest in peace.

but if a man took my babe from me, dude i wont say well of him, even if he dies 5 times tongue
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 6:06am On Feb 08, 2009
let the dead rest in peace.

but if a man took my babe from me, dude i wont say well of him, even if he dies 5 times

Eheeeen, that is what it is supposed to be. So that the living will sit up knowing that when they die somebody will spit on their graves angry.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 5:39pm On Feb 12, 2009
let the dead rest in peace. but if a man took my babe from me, dude i wont say well of him, even if he dies 5 times

Which peace will a corrupt soul see ?
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by lucabrasi(m): 6:08pm On Feb 13, 2009
traditionally africand dont subscribe to it
religiously whcih is universal,the bible quran that i know of frown on it firstly as a mere mortal who doesnt have the power to create let alone criticise judge a mortal as him/herself.

morally,it doesnt make any sense judging an individual who is dead and cant defend him/herself, its like threatening an individual in a remote village threatening george bush who he has no chance of meeting
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by Outstrip(f): 2:09am On Feb 14, 2009
As far as I am concerned the evil that men do should live after them. I am not talkng about someone who talked about your mama or somethng like that. People who have murdered innocent people, destroyed lives because of greed, caused other people pain and misery out of selfishness etc. They simply do not deserve to rest in peace and people should be allowed to say that at their funerals. The Hitler's of our time, the Ted Bundy's all of them. You will even be a liar to say they will rest in peace.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by ifyalways(f): 2:18pm On Feb 14, 2009
youngies:

gbam !
its even a sign of cowardice where i come from to accuse or talk ill abt the dead. . . .like where were u with ur complains when they were alive cheesy
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 6:39am On Feb 25, 2009
its even a sign of cowardice where i come from to accuse or talk ill abt the dead. . . .like where were u with ur complains when they were alive

So na now whey de man don die na im e go collect your praise sharp sharp ba? grin grin Dis una reasoning na wa oo. grin
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by RSA(m): 9:41am On Feb 25, 2009
@Poster are the west doing it different to us?or do you know if other races do it differently?Please enlighten us.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by benedictac(f): 10:39am On Mar 06, 2009
@ Poster,

no body praised Abacha!!! grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 12:36pm On Mar 06, 2009
Only those already pushed to the wall did and their population is negligible grin grin.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 3:43pm On Mar 14, 2009
Eye service even to the dead. Na wa for us o. shocked
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by tpia: 4:01pm On Mar 14, 2009
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by tpia: 4:03pm On Mar 14, 2009
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 8:03am On Mar 20, 2009
Everybody is cursing IBB, OBJ, etc, for Nigeria problems now, abi?. Watch out when these men will die and the kind of econmium that will be showered on them.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by Pepeye(f): 8:18am On Mar 20, 2009
jamace:

Everybody is cursing IBB, OBJ, etc, for Nigeria problems now, abi?. Watch out when these men will die and the kind of econmium that will be showered on them.

I beg to differ . . no one is going to praise those two thieves
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by AfroCynic: 1:43pm On Mar 20, 2009
Because the went through things so life might be for us. I thank my ancestors as well as God in everything I do, if i happen to be consuming alcohol, I do my libation just because I think it is proper.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by tpia: 1:46pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by AfroCynic: 1:49pm On Mar 20, 2009
tpia:

so you're not that much of a cynic then.

The name refers to my feelings about African politics, nothing more.
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by tpia: 1:55pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by AfroCynic: 1:56pm On Mar 20, 2009
tpia:

but African politicians share your philosophy, which got us where we are today.

Do expand on this observation,
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by tpia: 2:12pm On Mar 20, 2009
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by AfroCynic: 2:14pm On Mar 20, 2009
tpia:

I mean y'all are pouring libations together, to the same ancestors.

Lol, you are a funny cat. cool
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by jamace(m): 9:07pm On Mar 31, 2009
Funny cat ke? shocked
Re: Why Do Africans Praise The Dead Always? by biina: 9:41pm On Mar 31, 2009
@poster
Could you please be more specific or provide an example.

In my neck of the woods (or rather rain forest), culturally, it is wrong to speak ill of the dead. This is far from your accusation of praising the dead irrespective of their virtues or vices when alive.
Praising of a departed soul is an individual choice. Sad as it may seem, no matter how evil a person may seem in the eyes of most, a few will still see them for a saint.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Black Race, IQ, Intelligence And Eugenics. / Igbo Vs Ibo / Do You Think Biafra Does Exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.