Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Commit To Your Marriage - Say No To Divorce - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Commit To Your Marriage - Say No To Divorce (918 Views)

5 Everyday Sin We Commit And Must Avoid This Week. / Does GOD permit a woman to divorce an adulterous husband? / Anita Oyakhilome Gets Divorce Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commit To Your Marriage - Say No To Divorce by Minyang(f): 6:00pm On Apr 13, 2015
Worried about the high rates of divorce in the Christian fold and the world in general , I took part in a single day bible study on God and divorce; to knowing what God says about divorce and the consequences. I would like to share the study on this forum.

Introduction

Marriage can be compared to a marathon race. If you one does not commit oneself to running the distance no matter what the cost, chances of dropping out along the way increases. But if determined, one will find unforeseen strength to overcome every obstacle.Complete commitment to marriage provides a foundation of dependability and trust. It takes you through tough times and steers you toward godly solutions. A lack of commitment erodes strength, determination, and resourcefulness. Which can lead to tragedy in marriage.
I am appalled at the number of so-called “Christians” and “churches” that meddle in people's marriages today, helping to break up the family by recommending divorce, helping the wife escape her husband, and taking sides. The Scriptural approach is to either mind our own business, or help the troubled couple as a COUPLE (because God sees them as ONE). Oftentimes, in-laws will only side with their son or daughter, which is sinful. This has caused many divorces. The Scriptural approach is to help BOTH of them, for they are ONE in God's
God's views about divorce

The Bible says that when two are joined together in marriage, they are no longer two, but one (Genesis 2:23-24; Mark 10:cool, and that God hates divorce. You and your spouse are "one" no matter how poorly your marriage is functioning. Divorce, in God's eyes, is not an option forgiveness and rebuilding are usually best.

Study these Scriptures to see how serious the Lord is about divorce:"I hate divorce," says the LORD God of Israel. (Malachi 2:16)
What God has joined together, let man not separate
Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her. And if she divorces her husband and marries another man, she commits adultery. (Mark 10:11-12)

If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. (1 Corinthians 7:12-13)

God and divorce — Does God ever allow divorce? Jesus plainly taught that divorce only happens... “because of the hardness of your hearts” (Matthew 19:cool. There are NO BIBLICAL GROUNDS for divorce! Jesus NEVER gave anyone the right to get a divorce! This is clear from Matthew 19:8, “He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.” Jesus condemned all divorce!

Most people who file for divorce attempt to claim that Jesus allows for divorce in situations of adultery; but that is not what Jesus taught. What about all the other sins that one's spouse may commit? Does that provide a grounds for divorce? No, not according to the Lord. Jesus taught in Matthew 18:22 to forgive, 70 times 7. Divorce is the sin of hate, unforgiveness and hypocrisy.

So many people are woefully ignorant of the Scriptures, just as Jesus said: Matthew 22:29, “Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.” God's power can save your marriage, if you will trust God and not quit.

If adultery were Biblical grounds for divorce, then consider what Jesus said in Matthew 5:27-28, “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.” So according to Jesus, a man is already an adulterer if he lusts upon a woman.
If adultery is Biblical grounds for divorce, and a man is already guilty of adultery if he lusts on another woman, then his wife should have a right to divorce him.

To deny this is to say that adultery of the mind is not as bad as adultery of the flesh. Jesus clearly taught that they were both equally sinful. Obviously, Jesus was not giving a wife permission to divorce her husband if he commits fornication.
Here's another thought, and I want you to think about this. This is especially for those of you who believe that adultery is Biblical grounds for divorce. What about murder? If your wife kills 10 people, would that give you Biblical grounds to divorce her. You can't show me such grounds for divorce in the Word of God! God NEVER gives anyone permission to divorce their spouse if they commit murder (or many other horrible sins).

It is ridiculous for anyone to claim the right to divorce on the grounds of “adultery,” when that same spouse could commit murder and you'd still have to remain married to them. Jesus never gave anyone permission to divorce. Let us never encourage anyone to get a divorce, because all marriages are sealed in Heaven. Whether you were married in a church, at city hall, or on top of Mount Everest... your marriage vows (promises) were to your spouse, and to God ... “'Til death do us part.”

Consequences of divorce

Jesus said that to divorce for any reasons and then remarry is to commit adultery. Yet many people who profess Christianity play games with God by divorcing and then cruising along as if God did not mind. They often continue to attend church and engage in "spiritual" activities or ministries, thinking everything is fine. They look good on the outside. But read what God says about them:

You flood the Lord's altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer pays attention to your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands. You ask, "Why?" It is because the LORD is acting as the witness between you and the wife of your youth, because you have broken faith with her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant. (Malachi 2:13-14)

In other words, when you divorce for any reasons, you drive a wedge between yourself and God, for you are rebelling against him.
Realize that divorce has consequences. Divorce brings painful consequences. Not only do you distance yourself from God when you divorce, you also damage your spouse, wound your children, injure other family members, hurt friends, set the stage for future pain for yourself, and bring shame upon the name of Christ.

When you do things God's way, things work out best. On the other hand, when you disobey God, problems eventually come. If you divorce for any reasons, the odds are high that you will regret it before you die. You are certain to regret it when you stand before God.

1 Like

Re: Commit To Your Marriage - Say No To Divorce by hijodedios: 6:16pm On Apr 13, 2015
qouting a paragraph from your write up,,,,,,,,,,Most people who file for divorce attempt to claim that Jesus allows for divorce in situations of adultery; but that is not what Jesus taught. What about all the other sins that one's spouse may commit? Does that provide a grounds for divorce? No, not according to the Lord. Jesus taught in Matthew 18:22 to forgive, 70 times 7. Divorce is the sin of hate, unforgiveness and hypocrisy.

I dont agree with you there,jesus was clear when he was teaching about marriage and divorce and he did allow room for divorce only in a case of adultery,having said that i must commend you for a well written article,its never easy especially for those who are having one challenge or the other in their marriages but the truth is that the grace of God is always there for those who believe,,shalom.
Re: Commit To Your Marriage - Say No To Divorce by Minyang(f): 8:05pm On Apr 13, 2015
hijodedios:
qouting a paragraph from your write up,,,,,,,,,,Most people who file for divorce attempt to claim that Jesus allows for divorce in situations of adultery; but that is not what Jesus taught. What about all the other sins that one's spouse may commit? Does that provide a grounds for divorce? No, not according to the Lord. Jesus taught in Matthew 18:22 to forgive, 70 times 7. Divorce is the sin of hate, unforgiveness and hypocrisy.
I dont agree with you there,jesus was clear when he was teaching about marriage and divorce and he did allow room for divorce only in a case of adultery,having said that i must commend you for a well written article,its never easy especially for those who are having one challenge or the other in their marriages but the truth is that the grace of God is always there for those who believe,,shalom.

The write up was taught at a bible study I attended I only shared it so we all could learn from it. Also, for those in troubled marriages to be able to work at resolving their marriage problems, and to know divorce is not the answer.
Having said that, consider what Jesus said in mark 10:2-6,9, from my own understanding of these words I could say he never gave any ground for divorce he only emphasized on Moses command which he gave as a result of the pressure mounted on him by his people.
If adultery were biblical grounds for divorce consider what Jesus said in Matthew 5:27-27, from Jesus' definition of adultery most men are adulterer. This gives every wife biblical right to divorce her husband on the ground of adultery.
I respect your opinion but I think I have a contrary one.
Let's stop Divorce
Re: Commit To Your Marriage - Say No To Divorce by hijodedios: 10:00pm On Apr 13, 2015
Minyang:

The write up was taught at a bible study I attended I only shared it so we all could learn from it. Also, for those in troubled marriages to be able to work at resolving their marriage problems, and to know divorce is not the answer.
Having said that, consider what Jesus said in mark 10:2-6,9, from my own understanding of these words I could say he never gave any ground for divorce he only emphasized on Moses command which he gave as a result of the pressure mounted on him by his people.
If adultery were biblical grounds for divorce consider what Jesus said in Matthew 5:27-27, from Jesus' definition of adultery most men are adulterer. This gives every wife biblical right to divorce her husband on the ground of adultery.
I respect your opinion but I think I have a contrary one.
Let's stop Divorce
well my brother,you have said it all,you said in your own understand ,well thats your own understanding of the text or maybe thats what you were thought at the bible study you attended ,you qouted marks account of the dialogue between jesus and the pharisees,lets look at mathews account of the same dailogue,in mt 19;9 we can see that jesus CLEARLY made it known that divorce could be allowed in the case of unfaithfulness or adultery(depending on which version you are reading from),its a whole different thing altogether if the other party in the spirit of a christian decides to forgive his or her partner.thats entirely a different issue,the question shpould be,simple put,is divorce allowed in a christian marriage? well mathew 19,9 has the answer.Having said that i still stand by what i said in my earlier comment,that i do not support divorce and i pray most especially for the brothers and sisters who are really having various challenges in their marriages,that they should know that the grace is always there for us and its enough to see us through,just for the records to be put straight.shalom.

(1) (Reply)

Is There A Correlation Between Religiosity And Education? / Show Of Support For Pastor James Mcconnel As Case Continues / What Is The Theme For The Year 2016 In Your Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.