Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? (1717 Views)

Prof. Chukwuma Soludo To Ndi-igbo – Stop Having Head Office In Lagos Or Abuja / Igbo Now Slaves In Nigeria – Monarch / NDI-IGBO: APC Promises Toll-Free 2nd Niger Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by dodoniyi: 6:52am On Apr 15, 2015
“After the presidential election and the collation of the results from 36 states and the FCT the reality began to dawn on Ndi Igbo”, claims Joe Onwukeme, Naij.com reader and guest contributor from Enugu state. What have they not taken into account when chosing a prefered candidate?

For every decision or action one undertakes in life there’s a reason. However, what I am yet to understand at this moment is the reason why we, Ndi Igbo, have decided to put all our eggs in one basket during the presidential election.

After the presidential election and the collation of the results from 36 states and the FCT that reality began to dawn on Ndi Igbo. While other regions were busy celebrating the results of the presidential poll, we all bowed our heads in shame not because our preferred presidential candidate lost, but because we realized very late we had shot ourselves in the foot.

In our desperation to re-elect President Jonathan we’ve lost our common sense. Even when the odds against him became glaringly obvious, we allowed the sentiments to overrule our conscience without thinking of the consequences. We have lost out entirely.

After May 29 handover, when the 8th parliament will be inaugurated, we won’t have any of our elected senators on the platform of the APC emerging as the majority party in the upper chamber.

There’s no ethnic group that was not represented in the outgoing PDP-led government. However, it didn’t prevent the people from other regions, that had benefited from the PDP-led government even more, from voting against their people in other political parties that would represent them at the centre.

Here, in the southaest, the PDP is seen as a mini god. Anyone against the PDP is seen as an outcast. We’ve taken that mindset to the presidential election. We knew in some places the PDP would lose, and we manipulated the results in favour of the PDP candidates.

That is the only reason why such outspoken and charismatic senator as Dr Chris Ngige of the APC, with a proven track record of performance, has lost his re-election to the Senate.

The APC has won the majoriry of the seats in their strongholds in the northern and western parts of the country. However, it didn’t prevent the electorate in those regions from electing or re-electing some of their legislatures on the platform of the PDP.

Other ethnic groups have taught us a great lesson. It’s not all about party, it’s about choice and interest. That’s why in some cases they’ve looked beyond ethnic, religious and party affiliations to vote for their choices. However, in our own case we’ve voted every individual of the PDP not because they are our choices, but because they are in the ruling party.

Our precipitous actions have disqualified us from contesting for the Senate, presidency and the speaker of the House of Reps including their deputies. It would be extremely painful watching helplessly what we could have contested unopposed by other regions. We have lost it and may not get it again till 2019 because of our own selfish and parochial interests.

There is a question I have been asking my fellow Ndi Igbo. Now we have lost out in all elections at the federal level under the APC. How are we going to cope with the APC-led government we’ve never supported and haven’t even hidden our hatred during the campaigns?

When Ohaneze Ndi Igbo, Igbo sociocultural group claiming to represent the interests of Ndi Igbo, endorsed President Jonathan for another term, I asked what was the moral justification behind it if not some personal gains? Had Ohaneze Ndigbo considered their members in other political parties before they endorsed President Jonathan as their presidential candidate? We all know the endorsement never comes without a reward.

Ohaneze Ndi Igbo has recently been functional during general election battling with credibility problems as a result of its meddlesomeness in politics. However, its endorsement of President Jonathan and his failure at the poll have stripped Ohaneze Ndi Igbo of the remaining credibility.

We have also refused to learn from history. The adopted political parties have won other elective posts in the strongholds of some of the political parties endorsing them many times. After adopting President Jonathan as its presidential candidate for re-election, the APGA, even being the ruling party in Anambra state, could not win a single seat out of 3 senatorial seats in the state. Now it is protesting against being rigged out of the 3 senatorial seats by the ruling party whose presidential candidate it has endorsed.

Those narrow-minded among us have realized the cost of putting all their eggs in one basket, but its already too late to make amends. We are like the proverbial mother that poured out the bath water on the baby.

Think of many federal projects Igbo senate president would have attracted to the eastern region. I mean, the visit to Enugu West and its environ would convince you that if the present deputy president of the Senate had attracted such federal presence in his state, Igbo senate president under the APC would have done more for the southeastern region.

Putting all our eggs in one basket have taught us a great lesson. While we continue paying the price of our costly mistake, the pains of ignorantly rejecting what could have been offered to us on a platter of gold will continue to hunt and hurt us till 2019.

There is no question about my people being very resourceful and productive, but we lack political leadership. We may have astute political players, but there is no mentoring, no structure and therefore no political future. The maximum we can achieve politically is that others will concede to us, but not what we deserve by virtue of strategic thinking and alliance.

http://www.naij.com/421000-what-mistakes-ndi-igbo-now-has-to-pay-for.html
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by kettykin: 6:58am On Apr 15, 2015
Igbos made no mistake, Nigeria made the mistake and will pay dearly for the mistake

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Super1Star: 7:00am On Apr 15, 2015
dodoniyi:

There is no question about my people being very resourceful and productive, but we lack political leadership. We may have astute political players, but there is no mentoring, no structure and therefore no political future. The maximum we can achieve politically is that others will concede to us, but not what we deserve by virtue of strategic thinking and alliance.

This is the key lesson of the write up.

A rudderless ship is a ship bound to sink.

4 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 7:02am On Apr 15, 2015
Igbos are always politically irellevant. That is why the south east is the most underdeveloped in Nigeria. I pity them undecided

3 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by holatin(m): 7:16am On Apr 15, 2015
kettykin:
Igbos made no mistake, Nigeria made the mistake and will pay dearly for the mistake
ode,

4 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 7:16am On Apr 15, 2015
They love politics of stomach infrastructure. NFA
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 15, 2015
irunoobo:
Igbos are always politically irellevant. That is why the south east is the most underdeveloped in Nigeria. I pity them undecided

foolish comment. I don't blame you. City tout champion that doesn't know the six ends of the country.

just get back to school educated illiterate

4 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 15, 2015
irunoobo:

Apart from Lagos, my village is more developed than any other SW capital city, is it Ado Ekiti, Oshogbo or Akure SMH

4 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Scholes007(m): 7:26am On Apr 15, 2015
irunoobo:
hahaha the most backwards indeed
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Caseless: 7:27am On Apr 15, 2015
Igbo are the most politically predictable ethnic group on earth; they always align with the center without a clear-cut agenda and interest- sentiment drives their support, not objectivity.

We all have sentiment and hatred subtly built in us against other tribes/regions as Nigerians(it is natural though) , but the igbo nation took their hatred for others to a record new level in the last election.

May God bless Rochas, ogbonaya onu, ngige, Dr. Mbaka , Sen. Izunaso , etc, these are true igbo sons!

6 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by galadima77(m): 7:31am On Apr 15, 2015
kettykin:

yeye, pls go wear ur sense then come backb and comment wit it.
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by ElekeNtioba: 7:32am On Apr 15, 2015
I dont remember seeing these advices on NL after the 2011 when d second largest tribe couldnt even muster a deputy speaker in House of Reps.

Just because the Igbos refused to turn their backs on GEJ, every yoruba on NL is nw a political animal giving Igbos unsolicited advice.

Sorry to break it to u bt we dont need it, especially from u. Break free first from d stranglehold of ur Hausa/Fulani masters den we'll consider ur eligiblity to offer advice....cheesy cheesy

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 7:34am On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:
Igbo are the most politically predictable ethnic group on earth; they always align with the center without a clear-cut agenda and interest- sentiment drives their support, not objectivity.
We all have sentiment and hatred subtly built in us against other tribes/regions as Nigerians(it is natural though) , but the igbo nation took their hatred for others to a record new level in the last election.
May God bless Rochas, ogbonaya onu, ngige, Dr. Mbaka , Sen. Izunaso , etc, these are true igbo sons!

U must be one of the brainwashed ones living in Lagos

2 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by dealslip(f): 7:36am On Apr 15, 2015
USarmy:

Apart from Lagos, my village is more developed than any other SW capital city, is it Ado Ekiti, Oshogbo or Akure SMH

Is that the summary of the OPs message? Enlighten your mind and free yourself
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by ginawest(f): 7:43am On Apr 15, 2015
irunoobo:
did u jes say d southeast z d most underdeveloped in Nigeria?u r either sick or joking..

2 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Caseless: 7:45am On Apr 15, 2015
USarmy:

U must be one of the brainwashed ones living in Lagos
NO! I'm one of the open-minded people in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Texcoco(m): 7:46am On Apr 15, 2015
It has been an age old saying that the igbos are never united thus they are prone to be taken advantage of, then you also add the myth that the SE/SS can never be united politically.......These broken myths will serve us well in the long run instead of plunging all our eggs behind APC yorubas who coincidentally play second fiddle with APC northerners .Tis better we stand aloof as beauitful brides and watch proceedings to profit from especially when Buhari goes head to head with thieffnubu in the coming days.The signs are ominous that the SE/SS see the SW as political adversaries thus there is danger the yorubas could suffer severe isolation whenever Buhari or any northern political juggernaut courts SE/SS.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 7:47am On Apr 15, 2015
ginawest:
did u jes say d southeast z d most underdeveloped in Nigeria?u r either sick or joking..

Ugly ass reptile undecided
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by ElekeNtioba: 7:48am On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:

useless post from a human being with a maggot brain. Tell me hw ur voting pattern since independence has been better dan Igbos.

1 Like

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 15, 2015
kettykin:
admit it your people know nothing about how to play politics, and will remain in the wilderness till at least 2019
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Igwe9(m): 7:56am On Apr 15, 2015
The author of this rubbish should go and hug transformer.

How many Igbo people would have been the senate president or speaker.

All the time we had them, of what benefit were they for us?

It has been proven beyond reasonable doubt that the major development are carried out by the state government. The federal own ends up in decision making and collective development.

Enough of igbo this and igbo that.

I repeat, anybody that is not happy should go and drink origin.
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by ginawest(f): 7:57am On Apr 15, 2015
irunoobo:

Ugly ass reptile undecided
lwkmd...u r so funny

2 Likes

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Caseless: 8:02am On Apr 15, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

useless post from a human being with a maggot brain. Tell me hw ur voting pattern since independence has been better dan Igbos.
again, this post proves what I'm saying- no objectivity!
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by ElekeNtioba: 8:05am On Apr 15, 2015
Caseless:
again, this post proves what I'm saying- no objectivity!

fine...u want objectivity?? Answer my question first. Lets see which group is more 'objective'.
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by honourhim: 8:08am On Apr 15, 2015
Its a pity how people talk foolishly here. From 2011 to 2015, yorubas lost out in the leadership of the two arms of the national assembly because they alligned with opposition party and heavens did not fall. How come same yorubas and some silly igbos are now crying that we put our eggs in one basket.

Since 2007 till this 2015, the yorubas have been putting their eggs in one basket from AD to ACN and then to APC. For them and some igbos to come now to cast igbos in a bad light for putting their eggs in one basket is a height of stup.dity.

let me make it clear that igbos have nothing to lose. Lets watch and see how it goes. By 2019 we ll take stock and see whether igbos lost or not. For now, go cry for yourselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 8:08am On Apr 15, 2015
Texcoco:
It has been an age old saying that the igbos are never united thus they are prone to be taken advantage of, then you also add the myth that the SE/SS can never be united politically.......These broken myths will serve us well in the long run instead of plunging all our eggs behind APC yorubas who coincidentally play second fiddle with APC northerners .Tis better we stand aloof as beauitful brides and watch proceedings to profit from especially when Buhari goes head to head with thieffnubu in the coming days.The signs are ominous that the SE/SS see the SW as political adversaries thus there is danger the yorubas could suffer severe isolation whenever Buhari or any northern political juggernaut courts SE/SS.

well done bros. they know it not.
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 15, 2015
We have never ruled this country since 1967 but when it comes to human resources/ economic growth we stand top,I advise whoever is posting about mistakes Igbo made should channel that energy to salvage his/her ethnic group.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Donykua: 8:48am On Apr 15, 2015
Back to wilderness.
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Donykua: 8:51am On Apr 15, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
We have never ruled this country since 1967 but when it comes to human resources/ economic growth we stand top,I advise whoever is posting about mistakes Igbo made should channel that energy to salvage his/her ethnic group.

Economy destroyers. God will save Nigeria from ur hands.
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by Sunnybobo3(m): 8:57am On Apr 15, 2015
irunoobo:

Have you ever left Yoruba land in your entire life,
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by mstik(f): 9:50am On Apr 15, 2015
Give igbo people money, and they'll change their votes in your favour
Give yoruba people money, they'll accept it and still vote for their own choice.

When will igbos learn to vote for individuals and not for a political Party?
Re: What Mistakes Ndi Igbo Now Has To Pay For? by mekadinho(f): 9:56am On Apr 15, 2015
irunoobo:
HAHAHA...... EYAAAAH. DO SOME TRAVELLING NAA, AND STOP WRITING NONSENSE, SOUTH EAST THE MOST UNDERDEVELOPED? HAHAHA...... LEAVE UR ABODE AND DO SOME TRAVELLING YOUNG LADY.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Echoes from the past: Nazi Germany and the APC / An Iroko Has Fallen / Vice President Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.