Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) (46449 Views)

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 6:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
rattlesnake:
Jesus is Lord of the Oduduwa

Olosi omo eru

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 6:34pm On Apr 16, 2015
iduzebaba:
1. That is a wrong depiction of Sango..God of thunder fun ra e. oko Oya ati osun..... normally.. he is depicted in a red and black attire with a thor like thunder weapon and prob with a shuku braid with cowries on in head and breathin fire effect in d pics

2. I neva knew d devil has 6 packs... and that babaluaye is d founder of shoki. lols

3. if I may ask.. why was olorun tattooed.

4. u all can see dat the African goddess for beauty and love is black and beautiful.. tonto dike and family ' take note.

What devil did you see there?

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 6:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

Indeed it is one of the most beautiful and original works of art I've seen myself. As an artist myself (not a very good one though), I'm amazed at d perfect blend of beauty and power in d art. Its almost as if u can feel d charisma of authority of d deities. Lordly, yet comely to behold.
Since d deities are supernatural beings (according to d Yoruba tradition) and can be symbolized or represented in various forms, I think this artist's version brings their essence to d fore. My opinion though.

If u even type 'James C Lewis' into google, its these photos u'll mostly see in the search results. That tells u that its d photos that made him most popular.

U can check out this links
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-cornelius-lewis.html and http://radiopalmwine.com/the-orisha-experience-yoruba-gods-as-super-heroes-photography-of-james-c-lewis/

Sorry according to Yoruba tradition, the deities are NATURAL ENTITIES not supernatural, supernatural don't exist...nothing can be beyond or above Nature

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 6:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
manuelpepper:
christians and muslims uses olorun too.

Do they worship our deities together with their imported gods from arabs and europe?
They don't worship Olorun, they worship desert God like Allah and dark age God of Europe Jehovah

Alfred200825:
Nice work. But where is Ogun, Sapona and the rest?

Sopona is Baluaye

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 6:58pm On Apr 16, 2015
chimkaire:
*gods*

lipsrsealed

There's no difference between Gods and gods

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by manuelpepper: 7:00pm On Apr 16, 2015
macof:

They don't worship Olorun, they worship desert God like Allah and dark age God of Europe Jehovah

Sopona is Baluaye
nice......its quite funny when u listen to islamic and christian preachers saying olorun....oluwa.....they have stolen the names of our gods for their own gods.

5 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by per1: 7:15pm On Apr 16, 2015
gods the works of mere men, God is seeking for Men who will worship Him in truth and righteousness vai Jesus christ. Seek Him, instead of apprecaiting gods in the name of our own ' culture'
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by DaBullIT(m): 7:18pm On Apr 16, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Why is a wooden depiction of the gods better, please! Perhaps you are saying this because that's what you are familiar with.

[size=14pt]Ogbeni , Its like wearing suit for Ere Meta , Three wise men's statue in Lagos , doing that definitely defaces and obscures the meaning it stands for , and this type of stewpyd designs and upgrades is why kids no longer prostrate for their fathers , Leave tradition alone, you can't remix it without destroying it [/size]

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by DaBullIT(m): 7:31pm On Apr 16, 2015
Mitsurugi:
Strange a lot of Yoruba are just seeing these works, since an nna bros like me has been using them as my wall paper grin since last year. My favs are Obatala and Oya (hott babe) grin

[size=18pt][b]Exactly my point , That's how they sell it and you buy it , clearly most of the depicted gods are nude and which is why it's generated so much traffic , You didn't download the pictures because it means a lot to you , you downloaded the pictures because of the nudity

Every god in Yoruba land is decent , and Yoruba culture frowns at nudity , You'd hardly see a well trained Yoruba chick open her legs and sit down carried away while perverts peek to see the colour of her panties , Mothers take passion in teaching their girls to patonmo ,close your legs , even back then , kids as young as 5 years old would cross their legs or sag thier skirts at the middle to prevent you from seeing anything .

This is a wrong representation of Yoruba gods , One oyinbo should not come and show us how our ancestors look like or how they should look now ,

Sooner or later , images like this gets adapted to text books and then we'd loose the originality forever,

Where's the agbada, the buba , the war jacket, the cowries , the amulets ? This is a FOURKING misrepresentation and every reasonable Yoruba should frown at it

If someone sells you cheap , you can't be bought expensively

[/b][/size]

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by per1: 7:33pm On Apr 16, 2015
They worship what they do not know,gods,they say is of the blacks while Jesus is of the europeans, when u join ur father the devil, he knows about the lion of Judea, king of kings, he is the God of all.thanks to the europeans who brought to us the good news. Alleluia
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by wildikeman(m): 7:33pm On Apr 16, 2015
Non of them have Tribal marks na...and Shango was pictured as a fearful person...mtcheww who dis pic don help sef.. Dem don baf?

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 7:38pm On Apr 16, 2015
A lot of people have missed the "Art" because that's all this is beautiful art. It's one man's vision and interpretation. He was given exposure to a tradition that many people in the west never knew about.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by shinealight(m): 7:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
Oildichotomy:
What's the idea behind such depictions ?

Is it to confirm the barbarian and fetish stereotype of the African by the west or for some temporary awe by arts enthusiast.

The world is moving ahead with science that can be empirically evaluated and proved , and we are here beholding some "awe" of Orishas and Sango which exist in the metaphysical mind of some tiny ifa worshippers.

Africans sha !

Anybody that knows the structure of the entire Creation of which Man is a part, cannot fail to recognise the importance of giving due recognition to the Elemental Beings who inhabit the Substantiate Sphere of Creation which lies immediately above the World of Matter where we humans are obliged to incarnate in order to experience and mature spiritually.
The humans who are sojourning in the World of Matter need the knowledge and recognition of the Lords of the Elements (who are themselves God's creatures) inhabiting the Substantiate Sphere before they can appreciate the Spiritual World from where the humans descended as unconscious spirit-germs. It is one step after another. It is also only after man has acquired a fuller knowledge of the Spiritual Realm through experiencing while here on earth that he can then attain to the Recognition of God who inhabits the Divine Sphere. No man can ever get to the Divine Sphere, hence no man will ever see the Almighty Creator because man is of spiritual essence and not of Divine essence. However, through spiritual experiencing in the World of Matter, man can have a sensing of the spiritual realm whence he came as well as come to the Recognition of the Laws of his Creator which pervade Creation. Any jump in the process is totally futile and can only result in self-deception!
It is therefore right and appropriate for Africans to fully experience and appreciate the Lords of the Elements that they have been fortunate to have knowledge of. It is only from such a solid foundation that a correct recognition of the Spiritual can develop which can then lead to a proper sensing of the Christian God that many who profess to be Christians do not really know but only try to imagine because the missionaries who brought Christianity to their lands told them that He exists. Most Africans who call themselves Christians have never experienced the 'One God' but have abandoned the Elementals that they knew and had experienced simply because they wanted to be Christian converts. More often than not, it is a lie. Hence, whenever they get into a little trouble, they run to the babalawo or juju-man to help invoke the power of the Elementals that they knew exist. If only Africans can realise that they have nothing to be ashamed of by recognising the Elemental Lords, as long as they place them appropriately where they belong and do not bow down to worship them or invoke their powers for evil deeds! At the appropriate time, they will be shown the next level which lies above the realm of the elementals leading up to the Spiritual whence they themselves first emanated as spirit-germs.

4 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by SeverusSnape(m): 7:52pm On Apr 16, 2015
Really love this.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Volksfuhrer(m): 7:55pm On Apr 16, 2015
DaBullIT:

[size=14pt]Ogbeni , Its like wearing suit for Ere Meta , Three wise men's statue in Lagos , doing that definitely defaces and obscures the meaning it stands for , and this type of stewpyd designs and upgrades is why kids no longer prostrate for their fathers , Leave tradition alone, you can't remix it without destroying it [/size]

Even before you replied, I clearly understood your objection. Perhaps, the artist erred in his depiction of the gods as presented, but I still don't think the idea of using models was altogether wrong!

We have depicted many of these gods in plays and movies using actors, why then is the idea of using models strange?

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Volksfuhrer(m): 8:08pm On Apr 16, 2015
Chiam55:
A lot of people have missed the "Art" because that's all this is beautiful art. It's one man's vision and interpretation. He was given exposure to a tradition that many people in the west never knew about.

You are correct about the art. Even the images of the Yoruba deities we are familiar with are also works of art: though ancient, but art all the same.

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Apr 16, 2015
bigt2:
cool someone should make a game of these gods cool

Wish that's possible. Would be amazing, instead of the greek deities we're accustomed to seeing in video games. Don't mind if some of them even make their way into d dictionary or encyclopedia

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 8:37pm On Apr 16, 2015
tsdarkside:

we shouldnt be afraid of the white-race,,,THEIR TIME IS OVER!!!

look how the iranians deal with their fear of the white-race......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrgLFcIMYDk

angry angry angry

There's no massive conspiracy by the 'white' race to undermine anybody. That anti-oyibo mentality would not take anybody anywhere. No need being bitter and blaming all our woes on pple who're somwhere doing their thing and probably do not care or care to know abt ur existence.
Nobody is dragging superiority with anybody.
Well, as Soyinka said, the tiger does not go abt ranting abt its tigritude. Rather, it acts.
Same should go 4 all so-called black power movement this and that.
Trust me, a lot of them r motivated by inferiority complex and misinformation. U guys hype white guys too much. Tf?

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 8:39pm On Apr 16, 2015
Businessideas:
Satan is not the same as Esu.Most Yoruba scholars have repeatedly warned against such translation

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 16, 2015
Businessideas:
Satan is not the same as Esu.Most Yoruba scholars have repeatedly warned against such translation

I quite agree with u. I think depicting satan as esu is due to culture equivalence; separate cultures having the same concepts.
So when xtianity came to yoruba land, d equivalent of Satan would of cos be Esu since they're both associated with trickery.
Likewise, in Igbo culture, d equivalent of Satan is Ekwensu since they're both d king of ajo mmo (malevolent spirits)

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
tsdarkside:

we shouldnt be afraid of the white-race,,,THEIR TIME IS OVER!!!

look how the iranians deal with their fear of the white-race......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrgLFcIMYDk

angry angry angry

White race, Black race = racist race! lol

What about the only race that matters? THE HUMAN RACE!

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 16, 2015
tsdarkside:
now you all know your deitys,,,,now what... angry angry angry

now that you know that you are gods and godesses,what is your next move...

TO HELL WITH THAT WHITE-JESUS CHRIST....

the black-race destiny is to rule the world,again....get this slave-mentality,out of your minds....QUICK... angry angry angry

It is a good thing to strive to preserve our cultural identities (except some really detestable ones of cos). The thread is not for u to bash anybody. Gosh! Why can't we have sense? And why insulting Christ? Did u see Christ in d article? Or did xtians tell u not to be proud of ur identity?
There's no slave mentality (except in d minds of a few deviants here and there). If u're one of dem, den speak 4 urself n not d majority.

DaBullIT:

[size=14pt][b]Exactly my point , That's how they sell it and you buy it , clearly most of the depicted gods are nude and which is why it's generated so much traffic , You didn't download the pictures because it means a lot to you , you downloaded the pictures because of the nudity
Every god in Yoruba land is decent , and Yoruba culture frowns at nudity , You'd hardly see a well trained Yoruba chick open her legs and sit down carried away while perverts peek to see the colour of her panties , Mothers take passion in teaching their girls to patonmo ,close your legs , even back then , kids as young as 5 years old would cross their legs or sag thier skirts at the middle to prevent you from seeing anything .
This is a wrong representation of Yoruba gods , One oyinbo should not come and show us how our ancestors look like or how they should look now ,
Sooner or later , images like this gets adapted to text books and then we'd loose the originality forever,
Where's the agbada, the buba , the war jacket, the cowries , the amulets ? This is a FOURKING misrepresentation and every reasonable Yoruba should frown at it
If someone sells you cheap , you can't be bought expensively
[/b][/size]

Pls read d few excerpts by d artist. Ur pedantic sentiments r quite unnecessary. Its a beautiful work of art. The only correct representation of a deity would be a blank picture (except in our minds cos d mind can't have a blank concept of d supernatural).
No matter how u choose to represent them, its still a representation or interpretation and these can vary. Rememba that d art was not done by yoruba obas or chiefs, so no need getting 2 emotional. Its just how d artist chose 2 represent dem in his own way. He's not undermining yoruba culture or anybody.

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Apr 16, 2015
tsdarkside:

ahhh....the white-race,for me angry angry angry,,,they are very funny...look how they depict obatala,,,of course white.....

can you imagine obatala was white??,,,by creation he was drunk,but he swore to never drink again......

LET THE WHITE-RACE GO...THEY ARE NOT EVEN AFRAID OF THE GODS.... angry angry angry

Are u allergic to d color white? And who said its d white race that depicted d orishas dat way? Do u read b4 u comment? D artist is a black guy. Leave white pple alone. Is d color white exclusive to white pple alone? Obatala is not represented as a white man. Don't knw wat u're seeing.

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 9:14pm On Apr 16, 2015
tsdarkside:

a black-man with a white-mind..... angry angry angry

So d human mind now has colours? Ur case is hopeless grin
Btw, have u ever stayed in or visit Europe or America? Or even Asia or Australia. Do u have cacausoid friends? Just tot I should ask.

Or r u one of those who get info from maniacal blac movement websites? Secondly, don't u think u're being racist? Bitter over trivial tins
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by chiogoezubem(f): 9:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
Great photos. But they look more like American models, don't you think? It would have been ideal to use 'real African' models.

#MyThoughts

ChokolateBoss:
Photo credit go to James C. Lewis, a US-based photographic artist.
Personally, I've always been fascinated by the rich cultural history of the Yorubas and Binis.

A few excerpts from James C. Lewis:

"This entire belief system in the Orishas was directly linked to the Yorubas of the Ifa tradition. Immediately I became inspired to do a photo series of each of the Orishas I had recently discovered.....it came completely as a surprise when the project went viral overnight.

As soon as I uploaded them on Facebook they took off like wildfire through dry fields of grass and the responses were overwhelmingly abundant. Most of the feedback was phenomenal, but as always you have those who feel the need to be super critical and just plain knit picky....

I wanted to portray the regal beauty of each Orisha while also representing their majestic sensuality. Each iconic depiction was rendered to lend strength to our resilience as a great race of people and to show our youth that they are beautiful, bold and brilliant just they way God created them to be.

To all critics of my artwork who feel that I have misrepresented, over-sexualized, over-modernized, mis-colorized or overall disrespected the Orishas I would like to draw your attention to my favorite phrase….”INTERPRETATION…MUCH LIKE THE BIBLE IS BASED UPON THE TRANSLATOR”. There is no wrong when it comes to an artist’s creative interpretation, one must learn to become fluid with your perception and open up your mind to what the creator of the work is trying to convey.

In no way, shape or form am I advocating the Ifa tradition, as I myself am not a practitioner of the faith, however I wish to shed light on our rich history in hopes that it will enlighten those who wish to dismiss our culture and heritage as merely rubbish. I am not the source of wisdom surrounding the Ifa Tradition as previously stated…I am merely the artist, however the door has been opened for you to research and learn more for yourself…Take that opportunity!"
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 16, 2015
upsyLi:
Ogun!

Nice one. Really wanted to see Ogun. To me, d depiction of Aganju should have been that of Ogun cos d guy who depicted Aganju looks tough n mean (suited to be a god of iron).

Where did u get d picture of Ogun? Wud like ur source pls
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 16, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

White race, Black race = racist race! lol

What about the only race that matters? THE HUMAN RACE!

Nice one my friend. Don't know why some are so fixated on this black n white thing. Our humanity should precede us first n foremost. Other xters r secondary. Some africans believe europeans are out to 'get them'. Lol.
Wonder if they don't know some europeans also have african ancestory. I can be a european or american if I want. That's to tell u that a great majority of d developed world do not necessarily consider colour as an inflexible criteria in acquiring citizenship. Its more abt what's in u.
Two blood brothers can have separate nationalities. How beautiful! Luk at d Boatengs, one a german, one a ghanaian.
I also do know a lot of blacks that are legit citizens of some european countries (d more democratic and liberal ones of cos). They dnt kick dem out cos they're black or anytin. I have an aunty who's Irish too, though a black woman.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:44pm On Apr 16, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

Nice one my friend. Don't know why some are so fixated on this black n white thing. Our humanity should precede us first n foremost. Other xters r secondary. Some africans believe europeans are out to 'get them'. Lol.
Wonder if they don't know some europeans also have african ancestory. I can be a european or american if I want. That's to tell u that a great majority of d developed world do not necessarily consider colour as a crucial indices if u want to be their citizen. Its more abt what's in u.
Two blood brothers can have separate nationalities. How beautiful! Luk at d Boatengs, one a german, one a ghanaian.
I also do know a lot of blacks that are legit citizens of some european countries (d more democratic and liberal ones of cos). They dnt kick dem out cos they're black or anytin.

All very true!

Actually I see tribalism as racism! And if you accept that then Africa has as many racists as anywhere else! Anyway I don't let people like that bother me. I am an oyinbo with the most beautiful little chocolate fiancée! If anyone has a problem with that then too bad they can kiss my a~~! As we say in Ireland "pog mo thoin"!

Racists deserve each other. In the meantime the rest of us can get on with actually living and enjoying a meaningful life!

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by KoloOyinbo(m): 9:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
tsdarkside:
now you all know your deitys,,,,now what... angry angry angry

now that you know that you are gods and godesses,what is your next move...

TO HELL WITH THAT WHITE-JESUS CHRIST....

the black-race destiny is to rule the world,again....get this slave-mentality,out of your minds....QUICK... angry angry angry

Actually Jesus was NOT white. That was just a medieval depiction. He was (at lightest) brownish like middle eastern peoples and there a lot of folks on Nairaland who consider he was Black! I don't believe it myself but would not be disturbed in any manner if it turned out he was.

Also no one race every ruled the world or indeed ever will.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by jantavanta(m): 9:49pm On Apr 16, 2015
Art cannot please everybody
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Fulaman198(m): 9:53pm On Apr 16, 2015
tsdarkside:

ahhh....the white-race,for me angry angry angry,,,they are very funny...look how they depict obatala,,,of course white.....

can you imagine obatala was white??,,,by creation he was drunk,but he swore to never drink again......

LET THE WHITE-RACE GO...THEY ARE NOT EVEN AFRAID OF THE GODS.... angry angry angry

White people also have at one point practised Polytheistic religions (like the Vikings and their Norse Gods or the Greeks and the Mt. Olympus Gods). If you have ever watched the show "Vikings" you would see how obsessed Floki is with the "Gods".

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 16, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

All very true!

Actually I see tribalism as racism! And if you accept that then Africa has as many racists as anywhere else! Anyway I don't let people like that bother me. I am an oyinbo with the most beautiful little chocolate fiancée! If anyone has a problem with that then too bad they can kiss my a~~! As we say in Ireland "pog mo thoin"!

Racists deserve each other. In the meantime the rest of us can get on with actually living and enjoying a meaningful life!

I'm in luv already with that statement "racists deserve each other".
Tribalism to me, is a form of racism. D same igbo guy who cannot stand a yoruba or hausa guy (d ones he meets and sees all d time) simply cos of dia tribe will want to bludgeon white pple (which he has never seen or lived with) simply cos of dia race. How stuppidd!

My usage of igbo, hausa n yoruba is arbitrary of cos. B4 some pple go begin attack me

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Beauty Of Igbo Isiagu Attire / Oluwo Of Iwo, Oba Akanbi And His Lamborghini In New Photos / Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.