Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,666 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) (46451 Views)

Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics) / The Beauty Of Yoruba Women / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by vega84(m): 10:23pm On Apr 16, 2015
Ndi ara

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 16, 2015
chiogoezubem:
Great photos. But they look more like American models, don't you think? It would have been ideal to use 'real African' models.

#MyThoughts

How african do u want d models to be? Are those ones not african enough?
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by upsyLi(m): 11:38pm On Apr 16, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

Nice one. Really wanted to see Ogun. To me, d depiction of Aganju should have been that of Ogun cos d guy who depicted Aganju looks tough n mean (suited to be a god of iron).

Where did u get d picture of Ogun? Wud like ur source pls
From one of the sources you posted.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:31am On Apr 17, 2015
iduzebaba:
1. That is a wrong depiction of Sango..God of thunder fun ra e. oko Oya ati osun..... normally.. he is depicted in a red and black attire with a thor like thunder weapon and prob with a shuku braid with cowries on in head and breathin fire effect in d pics

2. I neva knew d devil has 6 packs... and that babaluaye is d founder of shoki. lols

3. if I may ask.. why was olorun tattooed.

4. u all can see dat the African goddess for beauty and love is black and beautiful.. tonto dike and family ' take note.

Esu is not devil. Esu s a balance of positive and negative attributes. a trixter.

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:34am On Apr 17, 2015
Oildichotomy:
What's the idea behind such depictions ?

Is it to confirm the barbarian and fetish stereotype of the African by the west or for some temporary awe by arts enthusiast.

The world is moving ahead with science that can be empirically evaluated and proved , and we are here beholding some "awe" of Orishas and Sango which exist in the metaphysical mind of some tiny ifa worshippers.

Africans sha !

dirty little b.astard jew worshiper.

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:36am On Apr 17, 2015
CHEAPDATASOLTN:
FANTASTIC , BUT NOT AS THE LIVING GOD

u mean the dead man whom uworship as a GOD.

5 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:37am On Apr 17, 2015
chimkaire:
*gods*

lipsrsealed

shut the fvck up. its GODS.

they are all hugher spiritual forces. take ur useless xtian mentality to some other thread.

wy do u capitalize ur own pwrsonal name then? r u saying ur higher than a God? nonsense mentality!

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:40am On Apr 17, 2015
johnydon22:

what is the difference between Goat and goat?

na soo. tell them!
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:43am On Apr 17, 2015
DaBullIT:

[size=14pt]
NA SO UNA DEY START !!!!

Don't use models to depict gods , "I" as a well taught yoruba prefers seeing the gods in hand crafted wooden sculpture and clay , not some coked out model

Your work is Impressive

Thank you , But NO thank you
[/size]

[size=18pt][b]Exactly my point , That's how they sell it and you buy it , clearly most of the depicted gods are nude and which is why it's generated so much traffic , You didn't download the pictures because it means a lot to you , you downloaded the pictures because of the nudity

Every god in Yoruba land is decent , and Yoruba culture frowns at nudity , You'd hardly see a well trained Yoruba chick open her legs and sit down carried away while perverts peek to see the colour of her panties , Mothers take passion in teaching their girls to patonmo ,close your legs , even back then , kids as young as 5 years old would cross their legs or sag thier skirts at the middle to prevent you from seeing anything .

This is a wrong representation of Yoruba gods , One oyinbo should not come and show us how our ancestors look like or how they should look now ,

Sooner or later , images like this gets adapted to text books and then we'd loose the originality forever,

Where's the agbada, the buba , the war jacket, the cowries , the amulets ? This is a FOURKING misrepresentation and every reasonable Yoruba should frown at it

If someone sells you cheap , you can't be bought expensively

[/b][/size]

Well said Sir.

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:46am On Apr 17, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Why is a wooden depiction of the gods better, please! Perhaps you are saying this because that's what you are familiar with.

its more serious as an objective representation for real worship.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:48am On Apr 17, 2015
DaBullIT:

[size=14pt]Ogbeni , Its like wearing suit for Ere Meta , Three wise men's statue in Lagos , doing that definitely defaces and obscures the meaning it stands for , and this type of stewpyd designs and upgrades is why kids no longer prostrate for their fathers , Leave tradition alone, you can't remix it without destroying it [/size]

na so wallai. tell them!

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 6:04am On Apr 17, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

shut the fvck up. its GODS.

they are all hugher spiritual forces. take ur useless xtian mentality to some other thread.

wy do u capitalize ur own pwrsonal name then? r u saying ur higher than a God? nonsense mentality!
Buzz. Off. Y'all. angry mtcheeeeew undecided
Rude and mannerless as you are, you failed to make a point

2 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by chiedu7: 6:24am On Apr 17, 2015
ALL ARE IDOLS , NOTHING COMPARED TO JESUS THE ONLY LIVING GOD
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by chiedu7: 6:33am On Apr 17, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

JESUS IS ALIVE

Revelation 1:17
And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead.

THESE YOUR gODS ARE NOTHING BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I.

YOU SURELY ARE NOT TOO BRIGHT, NO WONDER YOU ARE A PAGAN

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by omonnakoda: 7:08am On Apr 17, 2015
iduzebaba:
1. That is a wrong depiction of Sango..God of thunder fun ra e. oko Oya ati osun..... normally.. he is depicted in a red and black attire with a thor like thunder weapon and prob with a shuku braid with cowries on in head and breathin fire effect in d pics

2. I neva knew d devil has 6 packs... and that babaluaye is d founder of shoki. lols

3. if I may ask.. why was olorun tattooed.

4. u all can see dat the African goddess for beauty and love is black and beautiful.. tonto dike and family ' take note.
There is no devil in Yoruba religion.We do not believe any entity is completely evil. Eshu is not the "DEVIL" that is a misrepresentation.
It is also an imposition of a colonial Muslim and Christian doctrine. Eshu is NOT the source of evil but indeed of many good things and yes of evil too. Yoruba do not have the concept of DEVIL
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by CHEAPDATASOLTN(m): 7:31am On Apr 17, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

1Corinthians 1 vs 18, John 3 vs 16, Revelation 1vs8, Romans 10 vs 8-11. You can google those passages, they are good enough to answer your questions. thanks

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Zeus777: 7:52am On Apr 17, 2015
LEXYCOM:

Over too-know dey worry u.......I command u to have sense in Jesus name
lol...joker!
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by pasol4real(m): 9:24am On Apr 17, 2015
ChokolateBoss:
Photo credit go to James C. Lewis, a US-based photographic artist.
Personally, I've always been fascinated by the rich cultural history of the Yorubas and Binis.

1. AGANJU

2. BABALUAYE

3. ERINLE

4. ESU

5. IBEJI

6. IBEJI

7. OBA

8. OBATALA

9. OKO

10. OLOKUN

11. OLORUN

12. ORI

13. ORUNMILA

14. OSANYIN

15. OSOOSI

16. OSUMARE

17. OSUN

18. OYA

19. SANGO

20. YEMOJA

A few excerpts from James C. Lewis:

"This entire belief system in the Orishas was directly linked to the Yorubas of the Ifa tradition. Immediately I became inspired to do a photo series of each of the Orishas I had recently discovered.....it came completely as a surprise when the project went viral overnight.

As soon as I uploaded them on Facebook they took off like wildfire through dry fields of grass and the responses were overwhelmingly abundant. Most of the feedback was phenomenal, but as always you have those who feel the need to be super critical and just plain knit picky....

I wanted to portray the regal beauty of each Orisha while also representing their majestic sensuality. Each iconic depiction was rendered to lend strength to our resilience as a great race of people and to show our youth that they are beautiful, bold and brilliant just they way God created them to be.

To all critics of my artwork who feel that I have misrepresented, over-sexualized, over-modernized, mis-colorized or overall disrespected the Orishas I would like to draw your attention to my favorite phrase….”INTERPRETATION…MUCH LIKE THE BIBLE IS BASED UPON THE TRANSLATOR”. There is no wrong when it comes to an artist’s creative interpretation, one must learn to become fluid with your perception and open up your mind to what the creator of the work is trying to convey.

In no way, shape or form am I advocating the Ifa tradition, as I myself am not a practitioner of the faith, however I wish to shed light on our rich history in hopes that it will enlighten those who wish to dismiss our culture and heritage as merely rubbish. I am not the source of wisdom surrounding the Ifa Tradition as previously stated…I am merely the artist, however the door has been opened for you to research and learn more for yourself…Take that opportunity!"
gud works n depiction.

OBSERVATION: oba was depicted here as the daughter of yemoga n banished wife of sango.sango is the son of ajagun.ajagun is the husband of yemoga.meaning oba n sango are brother n sister .someone pls explain or do their gods marry eachother?

Nways ,what i know is all of dem put together no reach my AMADIOHA.
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Josepet(m): 10:20am On Apr 17, 2015
per1:
They worship what they do not know,gods,they say is of the blacks while Jesus is of the europeans, when u join ur father the devil, he knows about the lion of Judea, king of kings, he is the God of all.thanks to the europeans who brought to us the good news. Alleluia

so those who die before the good news was brought to nigeria where are they now...., in hell or in heaven...remember they only worships those gods then because they don't know who is Jesus....

#Quote nd reply
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 11:41am On Apr 17, 2015
DaBullIT:

[size=18pt][b]Exactly my point , That's how they sell it and you buy it , clearly most of the depicted gods are nude and which is why it's generated so much traffic , You didn't download the pictures because it means a lot to you , you downloaded the pictures because of the nudity

Every god in Yoruba land is decent , and Yoruba culture frowns at nudity , You'd hardly see a well trained Yoruba chick open her legs and sit down carried away while perverts peek to see the colour of her panties , Mothers take passion in teaching their girls to patonmo ,close your legs , even back then , kids as young as 5 years old would cross their legs or sag thier skirts at the middle to prevent you from seeing anything .

This is a wrong representation of Yoruba gods , One oyinbo should not come and show us how our ancestors look like or how they should look now ,

Sooner or later , images like this gets adapted to text books and then we'd loose the originality forever,

Where's the agbada, the buba , the war jacket, the cowries , the amulets ? This is a FOURKING misrepresentation and every reasonable Yoruba should frown at it

If someone sells you cheap , you can't be bought expensively

[/b][/size]

Although I liked your comment but most of it was unnecessary

Art is an expression of the artist...let it live cus even typical depiction of the Orisa are art
Btw most Yemoja sculptures, you would find her naked with her breast visible

3 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 12:07pm On Apr 17, 2015
per1:
gods the works of mere men, God is seeking for Men who will worship Him in truth and righteousness vai Jesus christ. Seek Him, instead of apprecaiting gods in the name of our own ' culture'

Idiotic slowpoke, can u create the power behind the wind? That's Oya
Can you create Metallic elements? That's Ogun
Dumb illiterates like urself would never have sense because of such absurd religions That require u to symbolically drink and eat a Jewish man's blood and flesh - new age of cannibalism
Ur dumb god is seeking for men to remain relevant...GODS don't need men, men need them

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 12:11pm On Apr 17, 2015
per1:
They worship what they do not know,gods,they say is of the blacks while Jesus is of the europeans, when u join ur father the devil, he knows about the lion of Judea, king of kings, he is the God of all.thanks to the europeans who brought to us the good news. Alleluia

Another stupid utterance by the slowpoke. Europeans brought u remix tales of a dead Jewish criminal who would not obey the laws to steal from you, take your resources,confuse your people, incite disunity, instigate betrayals and colonise you...

I ask do you know my GOD better than me?

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 12:15pm On Apr 17, 2015
ChokolateBoss:

I quite agree with u. I think depicting satan as esu is due to culture equivalence; separate cultures having the same concepts.
So when xtianity came to yoruba land, d equivalent of Satan would of cos be Esu since they're both associated with trickery.
Likewise, in Igbo culture, d equivalent of Satan is Ekwensu since they're both d king of ajo mmo (malevolent spirits)

What nonsense equivalent? only a fool who doesn't know Esu would call him equivalent of an absurd myth like satan

Being Lord over negative sprits doesn't mean being the evil opposer of the creator...another silly nonsense of christianity
How can the all powerful creator have an opposer from one of his creations...so dumb

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 12:18pm On Apr 17, 2015
chiedu7:
ALL ARE IDOLS , NOTHING COMPARED TO JESUS THE ONLY LIVING GOD

Here's a real idol...assuming u know what "idol" means

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 17, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

its more serious as an objective representation for real worship.

Whether wood, clay, stone, don't u think they're still models? A model is a model, whether human or otherwise.
As for wood or clay being more 'objective' 4 worship, I don't argue with u. Pro'ly u worship d gods so u know better. But d artistic representations u saw are not meant 4 worship or anytin like that.
James C Lewis choose 2 represent dem in his own way that would probably resonate with a wider audience.
And u have 2 admit, they luk more majestic, comely, graceful and more alive than those piece of wood n clay. All in all, his intention is not 2 undermine anybody's tradition. Its not like he's forcing dem on anybody, neither did he place d models in all yoruba shrines n call dem d ultimate representation.
U guys shud appreciate d art n stop being pedantic.

Also, stop bashing other pple's religion. U come off as intolerant
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 12:23pm On Apr 17, 2015
chiedu7:

JESUS IS ALIVE

The same Jesus that was nailed for his crimes
grin my Great grand father is alive too

Jesus was a man like u, now dead like men who lived 2000yrs ago

Pagans have been the smartest in all of human history..all human achievements go back to paganism

1 Like

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by Nobody: 12:29pm On Apr 17, 2015
pasol4real:
gud works n depiction.

OBSERVATION: oba was depicted here as the daughter of yemoga n banished wife of sango.sango is the son of ajagun.ajagun is the husband of yemoga.meaning oba n sango are brother n sister .someone pls explain or do their gods marry eachother?

Arrrrrrrgh! U just had d quote d whole article?
Yea gods do marry and generate other gods (according to mythology).
All of them not being up to Amadioha is subjective.
But for me, I think Amadioha would be d equivalent of Sango. Same concept behind dem
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:35pm On Apr 17, 2015
chiedu7:

JESUS IS ALIVE

stop quoting that rubbish 2000yr old piece of fairytale literature. it shows ur mentality and sense of reasoning.

5 Likes

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by macof(m): 12:49pm On Apr 17, 2015
pasol4real:
gud works n depiction.

As incorporeal entities they aren't bind to human laws
And the concept of marriage between them shouldn't be taken as Human marriage
Like it's known that the bond of Yemoja and Aganju(not Ajagun) birthed Orungan , who is Air
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by omoola007(m): 1:42pm On Apr 17, 2015
Here is a summary. BTW this has been out for years.

Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by DaBullIT(m): 6:03am On Apr 18, 2015
macof:

Although I liked your comment but most of it was unnecessary

Art is an expression of the artist...let it live cus even typical depiction of the Orisa are art
Btw most Yemoja sculptures, you would find her naked with her breast visible

Thanks

Yemoja = marine spirit

Scale covered bossom most of the time
Re: Breathtaking Pictorial Representation Of Yoruba Orishas (deities) by DaBullIT(m): 6:11am On Apr 18, 2015
Volksfuhrer:

Even before you replied, I clearly understood your objection. Perhaps, the artist erred in his depiction of the gods as presented, but I still don't think the idea of using models was altogether wrong!

We have depicted many of these gods in plays and movies using actors, why then is the idea of using models strange?

Movies by Nigerians, right?

Have you seen any Yoruba movie where esu odara was nayked or sango wore suit?

Perhaps my previous comment was too emotional, don't blame me, blame my passion for culture and tradition

But my point which I'll gladly stand by the artist's expression did not exhibit any real / original cultural element, it's totally off

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Beauty Of Igbo Isiagu Attire / Oluwo Of Iwo, Oba Akanbi And His Lamborghini In New Photos / Olu Of Warri Coronation: Tsola Emiko Walking Before Departing For Ode-Itsekiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.