Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,706 members, 7,809,686 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? (14609 Views)

Arab Woman Places Advert In Newspaper To Praise Her Kenyan Househelp (photos) / Househelp Cleans Her Vagina With Napkin, Then Wipes Her Boss' Dishes With It:Pic / Househelp Cuts Off Baby's Hand (Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by tobiyayo: 2:15pm On Apr 22, 2015
I am in agreement with your comments.
We had a security camera installed in some common areas around the house and have caught several domestic staff acting in defiance to given instructions or being notorious in their acts.
They also lie alot. They lie about almost everything and act unenlightened even though they know what they are doing.
I would recommend that every household with domestic staff have installed covert security cameras in the sitting rooms, kitchen, store and walkways and audio recording devices in their BQ/their room.

micklplus:

Thanks ify but some of these maids are just evil.

There was a maid I had, my wife and I did everything for this girl. Paid for her to learn hair dressing, bought thing and I mean, lots of stuff yet, she was maltreating my kids. She starved them food even when I never controlled what she ate.

It Was devastating when I found out. I had to Immediately let her go because, I would have killed somebody.

Some of these maids are equally godsent Sha. One should pray to be lucky
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by deebrain(m): 2:18pm On Apr 22, 2015
buygala:
I have nothing to say since I am neither a professional househelp nor a husband whose wife has gotten and sent away 9 househelps in less than 3 years undecided

So I will just smoke my weed jejely and read all the househelp manuals being written smiley

Upon all my prayers for your senses, people like these keep discouraging me!

angry
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by SStoneCCold: 2:24pm On Apr 22, 2015
Pls subject him/her to medical checks before employment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by hotgunz(m): 2:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Are you pondering what I am pondering?
witches right?
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by femi4: 2:35pm On Apr 22, 2015
wakacome:
Because of the house help saga that recently happened does not mean people should stop employing house help,not all house help are kidnappers!!!!.......is just like telling people not to eat beans anymore because someone ate beans and the person died...............
Continue!!!!! lazy parents everywhere
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Peacefulmat: 2:49pm On Apr 22, 2015
ifyalways:
Salary. . . Regardless of the working condition(living in or coming in daily), the salary should be at least 20,000 ngn. Pay them as and when due. Don't deduct money from their salary when they spoil things in the house eg plate.Accidents happen !.

Age. . .minimum of 18 years

Family background. . .Take your time, go and meet the family wherever they stay. Ask people around questions about the family, investigate.

Previous work experience. . .Ask, verify, meet with previous employer and ask questions.

Pictures. . .Take full lenght pictures of your help in various angles, store them in your phone, mailbox and keep har copies.

Security . . .be security conscious. Depends on where u stay, leave FIRM instructions that the help cant and should not step out of the house with your kids without your prior instruction.

Be fair and kind. . .Treat your help as you would treat your OWN child. Don't hoard food from them(they will get even by starving your kids), dont be mean to them, correct them in love, don't use them as slaves. Give them freedom but watch them closely. Give them days off.

Go further. . .show interest in their personal life,goals. Ask them what they want to do in future, encourage them and help if you can. Depending on their age, ask about their relationship,invite and know their partner.

Occasional treats . . .Buying them a gift(no matter how cheap) on their birthdays, taking him or her to a salon for a makeover/hairdo/facials occasionally won't hurt you. Such little favours and acts of love that don't cost much goes a long wayyyyyyy.

Can't deal? Say goodbye. . .If for whatever reason you don't get along,like your help,think your help is a witch/wizard, please pay him or her off and let her/him go. well said.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by madeinnigeria: 2:50pm On Apr 22, 2015
ifyalways:
Salary. . . Regardless of the working condition(living in or coming in daily), the salary should be at least 20,000 ngn. Pay them as and when due. Don't deduct money from their salary when they spoil things in the house eg plate.Accidents happen !.

Family background. . .Take your time, go and meet the family wherever they stay. Ask people around questions about the family, investigate.

Previous work experience. . .Ask, verify, meet with previous employer and ask questions.

Pictures. . .Take full lenght pictures of your help in various angles, store them in your phone, mailbox and keep har copies.

Security . . .be security conscious. Depends on where u stay, leave FIRM instructions that the help cant and should not step out of the house with your kids without your prior instruction.

Be fair and kind. . .Treat your help as you would treat your OWN child. Don't hoard food from them(they will get even by starving your kids), dont be mean to them, correct them in love, don't use them as slaves. Give them freedom but watch them closely. Give them days off.

Go further. . .show interest in their personal life,goals. Ask them what they want to do in future, encourage them and help if you can. Depending on their age, ask about their relationship,invite and know their partner.

Occasional treats . . .Buying them a gift(no matter how cheap) on their birthdays, taking him or her to a salon for a makeover/hairdo/facials occasionally won't hurt you. Such little favours and acts of love that don't cost much goes a long wayyyyyyy.

Can't deal? Say goodbye. . .If for whatever reason you don't get along,like your help,think your help is a witch/wizard, please pay him or her off and let her/him go.
you are a brilliant individual
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by micklplus(m): 2:50pm On Apr 22, 2015
tobiyayo:
I am in agreement with your comments.
We had a security camera installed in some common areas around the house and have caught several domestic staff acting in defiance to given instructions or being notorious in their acts.
They also lie alot. They lie about almost everything and act unenlightened even though they know what they are doing.
I would recommend that every household with domestic staff have installed covert security cameras in the sitting rooms, kitchen, store and walkways and audio recording devices in their BQ/their room.

The remote camera is the way to go.
Their lies na wah.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by micklplus(m): 2:51pm On Apr 22, 2015
femi4:
Continue!!!!! lazy parents everywhere

It's not laziness.
How do you cope without maid when you have three kids and you and your wife would be at work the following day?
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 22, 2015
SStoneCCold:
Pls subject him/her to medical checks before employment.

Ok. Very nice one. It's just smart one knows the health situation of their prospective maids.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 22, 2015
Johnheir2:
Character, intelligence and hmmmmm beauty

Hmmmm
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
The fear of kidnappers is the beginning of wisdom.

So the days of panel-beating househelps under "transferred aggression mode" are numbered.

Some women aka madam could be wicked.
\

It's not actually the fear of kidnappers per se.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by debbydee(f): 3:24pm On Apr 22, 2015
tolustx:
I believe there used to be a time when some people were in d business of controlling househelps. I mean registered househelps, just like dis security companies.
Such a company will be in charge of registering, training and appointing maids for interested families. Such maids will be like permanent employees of d company. They can be withdrawn if need be, and re appointed for someone else. In this kinda setting, the company will also be in charge of seeing to d welfare of such maids so that they are not maltreated or violated in any form.
If something like dis is in place, families will be able to employ the services of dependable and well-trained maids. This is a million dollar business strategy for someone. Thank me later.

nice business concept but trust nigerians dey wont even go there rather they will look for cheap means eg olx

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by tolustx(m): 3:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
debbydee:

nice business concept but trust nigerians dey wont even go there rather they will look for cheap means eg olx
Olx ke. Olx is fraud. I don meet scammer for there b4. Az in dem don scm me for there. Thank God say na d money wey I fit give @ dat time person collect sha. Na both wet and dry head full d place.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 22, 2015
Pls hire me.

Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Apr 22, 2015
shiningme:
Pls hire me.

Please, drop your contact!
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Avalani(m): 4:11pm On Apr 22, 2015
Consider raising your kids yourself.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Kunfu(m): 4:20pm On Apr 22, 2015
Visit www.verifymenigeria.com to knw more abt the worker you're abt to employ. Househelp, Driver, Gardner and so on. Get a background check thru us. THANKS
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by bookorlah(f): 4:40pm On Apr 22, 2015
You said it all!
ifyalways:

Can't deal? Say goodbye. . .If for whatever reason you don't get along,like your help,think your help is a witch/wizard, please pay him or her off and let her/him go.
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by ezystar(f): 4:45pm On Apr 22, 2015
On d basis of medical check up,I strongly agree to dat because there is a story of a househelp I came across who infected her madam's son with HIV through using the same toothbrush..na dere family scatter...so u need to be careful.

As for me, am a family woman with kids and a career and I certainly not going for a househelp..I believe every woman has a God given grace to manage home and work certainly well without creating problems for urself unnecessarily..
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by nifemi25(m): 4:58pm On Apr 22, 2015
ifyalways:

You have said it all. If every rich people can just try to practice what the lady said. Am sure Nigerians would have been better than this, it simply means show love to your workers be it. Driver, house help, nannies
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by femi4: 5:15pm On Apr 22, 2015
micklplus:

It's not laziness.
How do you cope without maid when you have three kids and you and your wife would be at work the following day?
Take them to daycare centre
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by tunnary(m): 5:39pm On Apr 22, 2015
TheMascot:
So I have catched my space!...eheen op u say?....

1...She shld be as fugly as timaya ( in case oga shld want 2 samba ;-)

2..Ehm...she shld not have a nyash bigger that dan of madam ( no tym for Gobe)

3...First check her with ur holy water (witch), silver bullets (were wolf), wooden stake (vampire)

4..Her skirts should be long enough 2 be used as rug

5..she shld have children too..(If she kidnap ur own den u kidnap her own)..

6..Her pant should be always checked ( choi..incase ur pikin go touch am kon die)..

7...Ehmmmm...my personal favourite..she shld be in apc..
Hilarious advise, so funny
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 22, 2015
dearpreye:

Please, drop your contact!

+6285299371***
Re: What Factors Should A Family Consider When Hiring A Househelp? by 4christ4life: 8:22pm On Apr 22, 2015
[quote author=ifyalways post=32867135]Salary. . . Regardless of the working condition(living in or coming in daily), the salary should be at least 20,000 ngn. Pay them as and when due. Don't deduct money from their salary when they spoil things in the house eg plate.Accidents happen !.

well said. I wish we can all do as instructed by this beautiful writer

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Do People Practice Open Marriage In Nigeria?" - Lady / Coronavirus Giveaway Thread / Another Man Arrested For Impregnating His Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.