Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,971 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:03 PM

Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section (4056 Views)

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Comprehensive List Of Animals In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 19, 2015
Ikengawo:
Musing2. Im ready to fight for this cause, sign me up! Let me know what to do next #orueast #nwaafor

Ikengawo I'm happy about your enthusiasm cheesy. Earlier today I mailed the mods, Fulaman198, odumchi, and bigfrancis21 to ask about what guidelines Nairaland follows to create new sections. I'm still waiting for a reply.

Currently I feel a front page thread entirely in Igbo (or Igbo English) which will draw the attention of the numerous Igbo speaking people on Nairaland, make them aware of our idea and direct them to this thread is a good Idea. Something good which is clearly said was done to promote an Igbo Language section.

Examples
A good article about the downward trend of Igbo translated to Igbo is an option.
Or a popular song in English translated to Igbo
Or a popular story, poem, writing..
It could even be a prayer like the lord's prayer
Or a game to translate popular memes to Igbo

Whatever you come up with, but something worth being placed on frontpage. Do you think you can come up with such a thread?
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by rafindo(m): 3:58pm On Apr 19, 2015
op spot on.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 19, 2015
rafindo:
op spot on.

Thank you rafindo cheesy, please show your support by clicking SHARE in the poll. Tinyemeka, ezeagu, ikengawo please do the same so we have a reflection of how many people really want this.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by B2mario(m): 4:15pm On Apr 19, 2015
musing2:
^^^bigfrancis21 The Idea i'm promoting is not about me learning Igbo. It's about a section where threads and posts, everything (or most of it) is done in Igbo. Where Igbo stories, and igbo videos, music, news, etc are shared, and even where the threads you've talked about could be located.
Thanks for your encouragement though smiley, your points are noted.

Nwannem daalu 100x, I'll try my best to support this thread.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Chigold101(m): 4:19pm On Apr 19, 2015
OreMI22:

An Igbo language section is not only desirable but imperative. We should have it.
Google translate have been improving their Igbo translation skill , it will be a useful tool for those willing to learn Igbo language.
well am in for anything that promotes igbo unity & restoration of igbolanguage & culture.

I will be glad if we can have igbo forum. It will also help us to discuss issues on politics that can help us as a people.

I believe so much in Nigeria i also believe that what made us Nigeria is our different cultures, languages, life styles & idealogy. Unity in our diversity as it is called.

So please let the forum start right away. There are manythings we need to keep our different political affilition, religeous affiliation & geographical position aside & tackle it as Ndi Igbo.

Anambra house of Assembly passed a bill which Mr Peter Obi signed into law. That law is that every wednesday will set out everywhere in Anambra state for Igbo speaking & even house assembly procedings are also conducted in Igbo language.

We Igbos have to do all things possible & impossible to make sure that Igbo language is revived & make it thrive once more.

I am so much in support of IGBO FORUM.

Thank you for the mention...
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 19, 2015
B2mario:

Nwannem daalu 100x, I'll try my best to support this thread.

Ndewo wink To support thid thread I'm still looking for someone to write briefly in favor of an Igbo section, preferably in Igbo, and Ideally with a very short English summary.
To support an Igbo section I think we simply need to support and promote Igbo threads.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 19, 2015
Chigold101 we're pushing for a section, likethe autos section, and politics section, not a forum (Forum sounds like a whole new Nairaland). Although a forum is a brilliant idea if it can be actualized, but on Nairaland it's an Igbo language section being advocated for.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by tonychristopher: 5:17pm On Apr 19, 2015
musing2:
@bigfrancis21, and tonychristopher it seems you guys are not interested in the idea since there is already an Igbo forum, but don't you find an Igbo forum limiting in the amount of content that can be shared, and the discussions that can take place?

If your answers are no, are either of you interested in submitting a short write up on why an Igbo forum is okay, and removes the need for an Igbo language section?

Asadike welcome cheesy, I completely agree with you. Are you interested in submitting a write up in favour of having an Igbo language section..such as one on the advantages of an Igbo language section?

I concur it will be nice if we have igbo section and all be written in igbo but won't pundits and critcs accuse us of isolation and tribalism
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 19, 2015
tonychristopher:

I concur it will be nice if we have igbo section and all be written in igbo but won't pundits and critcs accuse us of isolation and tribalism

No
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by ChinenyeN(m): 5:45pm On Apr 19, 2015
I have to say, I'm a little bit impressed, musing2. I knew it would only be a matter of months until we get another 'Igbo language is endangered' thread, so this was expected. What was not expected though, was that it would be as well thought-out and outlined as this. I respect your execution on the issue. It is not like other threads come and gone. That said, I was mentioned. So, I will also give my thoughts.

Let's start from the top, and think for a moment. When Nairaland (henceforth 'NL') first came online, it was nothing more than a message board. You could do all the standard message board stuff. Then, NL grew and changed. The past few years of NL's history has seen a trend away from the standard message board dynamic and toward a more social/community-driven forum. As at now, NL provides the capability to like posts, follow users, share posts with users who follow you, etc. If the past few years are to serve as a benchmark, then it could very well be within bounds to say that NL's transformation into a social/community-driven forum is only just beginning.

But how exactly does NL's transformation connect with the subject of this topic?

It's simple. As respectable and as desirable as a separate Igbo community/language forum would be, we have to keep in mind that NL is still in the making. So, by extension, the possibility of an Igbo language section (henceforth 'The Section') is also in the making. In fact, if I were asked to provide a projection for NL's future, I would say that NL's developmental trend puts it on a direct path toward what you are asking. It's no longer a matter of 'if', but rather a matter of 'when'. This brings us to the point where we ask ourselves whether to simply let NL continue its development that will eventually lead to the creation of The Section, or whether to force said development by demanding that The Section be created now.

Some Important Things to Note In Trying To Answer The Above Question:

1. The necessary platform for such a section does not yet exist and will have to be created -- This includes user guidelines, board policy, moderation, the development and addition of necessary site features to facilitate the creation of such a section, among others.

2. Forum politics -- Though we may feel that such a thing is an unnecessary consideration, the very fact that NL is politically plagued cannot be ignored. Saying 'yes' to the second part of the above question (by demanding the creation of the section), opens the possibility for a domino-like effect in which other ethnic/ethno-linguistic boards will subsequently be created (for the sake of equity). This is a legitimate concern that will essentially be unfairly forced onto the webmasters of NL.

3. Sustainability -- This particular thing isn't so important that it can be considered debilitating, but it is worth mentioning. NL is a very well-integrated forum with respect to user privileges. Part of the joy of NL is the seamlessness with which people can post, like, share etc. between sections. A community-driven forum (presumably one in which the users dynamically create and manage sections) could likely limit the well-integrated nature of NL (which I'm sure is one of the many characteristics that attracts new users and keeps current users). Of course, a set of limitations can be set on community-driven forums, so all in all sustainability is not that serious, but it is something to keep in mind.

All that said, I am not against the creation of The Section here on NL. I see no reason to be. NL, as a consequence of its Nigerian heritage, cannot avoid ethnic/ethno-linguistic plurality. Also, I believe that overall, it would be good for NL. There is no denying that NL has gained increasing relevance in the Nigerian community (both at home and in diaspora). Catering to the ethnic/ethno-linguistic need for preservation will show good faith on the part of NL, particularly in terms of the protection of indigenous African peoples, their cultures, languages, and way of life. NL would essentially put itself in a good international position by [some sort of] proxy.

I've never stopped to think about something like this, so of course my thoughts on it won't be so thoroughly organized. I was more or less typing thoughts as they came to me. I just hope it all made sense.

3 Likes

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 19, 2015
SUBMISSIONS (NEW!)

It's no longer a matter of 'if', but rather a matter of 'when' NL will become a dynamic user/community-driven forum. Shall we wait or ask it of NL now? by ChinenyeN
@5:45pm on Pg (1)

Calling on ezeagu, PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, IGBOnation, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002

EXPECTED SUBMISSIONS

An Igbo forum is adequate. It rules out the need for an Igbo Language section.
Nominees: bigfrancis21, tonychristopher, Mynd44
Time: Undecided

An Igbo section is advantageous, we should advocate for it.
Nominees: asadike, ezeagu, OreMI22

cc: Mr Seun Osewa
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 19, 2015
Right, ChineyeN yes your thoughts all made sense, thank you. smiley

*modified*
If it's just a matter of waiting as you say then personally I'll be very glad to. However It may not be, and I think only Seun himself can respond to that.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Phut(f): 10:34pm On Apr 19, 2015
Someone created a forum like Nairaland or Facebook. It was an Igbo forum with all communications in Igbo - for the promotion of Igbo language and culture. The link was posted on Nairaland, a year or more ago. I actually visited the website, but Unfortunately, I have forgotten the address. Does anyone remember:
Bigfrancis21
Odumchi
Ezeagu
Radiollo
ChinenyeN

I am googling right now, to see if I can find the website. If I find it, I would say we build on what we already have, while continuing to promote Igbo Lang and culture on Nairaland as has been done in the past.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by UjSizzle(f): 10:38pm On Apr 19, 2015
I don't see the point for an igbo forum or subsection. The Culture section already makes provisions for all ethnic groups in Nigeria and we have managed to coexist in this so far.

So what again is the new sub)section supposed to achieve?

In what way(s) will it be beneficial to the admin of this forum? (seriously you don't hope you sell a product if you can't market it right).

How does it help the igbo community at large?
I may not be very active in this section, but the few times I come by, there isn't much going on (in the past there was, but not anymore) except when a controversial topic has been raised.

Let's also not forget that even if the admin decides to grant this request (which I doubt will happen), other major ethnic groups will want the same too. Honestly the nuisance factor isn't worth it.

If this section is created, what are the possibilities of igbo forumites keeping us engaged in it? As it is the culture section isn't even generating enough traffic undecided

All round this makes no sense (sorry). From the view point of the admin and members attention span, it's just not a viable project.

Obviously I vote against.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Phut(f): 1:52am On Apr 20, 2015
musing2:
^^^bigfrancis21 The Idea i'm promoting is not about me learning Igbo. It's about a section where threads and posts, everything (or most of it) is done in Igbo. Where Igbo stories, and igbo videos, music, news, etc are shared, and even where the threads you've talked about could be located.
Thanks for your encouragement though smiley, your points are noted musing2.

I am in favor of your idea, but instead of facing unnecessary opposition on Nairaland with creating an Igbo language section, why don't we make use of websites that have already been set up or geared towards that.

Many of those sites abound on the Internet. Their problem is low traffic. We could pick one and post any and all things Igbo to that site. Build it into an aggregator and repository of all things Igbo - have it safe for future generations.

Of course a well known Nairalander can always open a topic on Nairaland, with a link to that site. Those who choose can sign up to that site to post a comment.

A Nairalander (peteonline) had partially set up a website (igbovoices). Even if we decide not to use that, we can choose from the myriad Igbo websites, online
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Okeikpu(m): 3:04am On Apr 20, 2015
Musing2 I ll be back.... I hv a train to catch angry
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by tonychristopher: 9:36am On Apr 20, 2015
I am in support of that section, it will be to ensure that we write in our dialects not in igbo and it will be also for posterity reasons because we will have our footprints in the online community and this is imperative. it will also give us a sense of oneness which has been on. we should have this from our igboid brothers like ikwerremilitants, hopeathand and other south southern igbos, this thread should be a history in making and it will be a galvinising and unifying factor,I WILL WANT IT TO BE WRITTEN IN IGBO and it would showcase the good and bad part of Igbo land

For those for this submission shout aye
those against say nay

umunne ekwukwa m ka ora m na onu

abu m nwa anambra na ekwu

udo diri unu

musing2:
SUBMISSIONS (NEW!)

It's no longer a matter of 'if', but rather a matter of 'when' NL will have ethnolinguistic plurality. Shall we wait or ask it of NL now? by ChinenyeN

Calling on ezeagu, PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, IGBOnation, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002

EXPECTED SUBMISSIONS

An Igbo forum is adequate. It rules out the need for an Igbo Language section.
Nominees: bigfrancis21, tonychristopher, Mynd44

An Igbo section is advantageous, we should advocate for it.
Nominees: asadike, ezeagu, OreMI22

cc: Mr Seun Osewa

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 20, 2015
While it all sounds good and all, I'm not sure it is really necessary. We can post (and we've been posting) topics related to Igbo language, culture and history here in the culture section. Nothing, yet, suggests to me that the culture section is inadequate for this purpose. And like someone has said, a separate section devoted to Igbo Studies ( while such a section does not exist for any of the other Nigerian ethnic groups ) sounds too much like an isolationist move. I really don't find that palatable.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by asadike(f): 10:55am On Apr 20, 2015
Okeikpu:
Musing2 I ll be back.... I hv a train to catch angry
ezigbo di mu, ga ma nota n'udo.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by asadike(f): 10:59am On Apr 20, 2015
Ndi mods biko nyenu anyi igbo section. Odi ezigbo mkpa. Anyi ekwesighi iyo biko na ya bu ife. Maka unu kwesiri nye aka wee na kwanite odinma na asusu obodo anyi.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by bigfrancis21: 11:55am On Apr 20, 2015
@musing2

Just an afterthought, don't you think you should concentrate your efforts for now in learning the language first??
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 12:27pm On Apr 20, 2015
bigfrancis21:
@musing2

Just an afterthought, don't you think you should concentrate your efforts for now in learning the language first??

Yeah I should, and if this section is actualized it will help. Even if it only shows that I'm learning a language the speakers themselves enjoy speaking and use widely that would be motivation enough. I wonder if you understand.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 20, 2015
Radoillo it would be a section anyone is welcome to go through, and create threads in, just that the threads will be in Igbo or about the Igbo Language. Of course that means people visiting it will mostly speak or understand Igbo, but the same thing applies to a section like the programming section; the people that visit it are those who "speak" or understand programming languages.

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Ikengawo: 2:18pm On Apr 20, 2015
OFFICIAL!

[size=15pt]Igbo language translation news thread[/size]
https://www.nairaland.com/2267160/ozioma-taani-todays-news-translated

We can use an Igbo section to translate books, stories, poems, music etc etc as well as discuss, and practice igbo.
My igbo isn't the strongest, I grew up in diaspora so such a section would be a blessing for me and many like me!

You can use Google translate to translate the article into Igbo then post in the news thread! Perfect practice for igbo language learners.
bigfrancis21 musing2 asadike Radoillo tonychristopher asadike, ezeagu, OreMI22 PAGAN9JA, odumchi, EzePromoe, magkhan, Wulfruna, Radoillo, Ishilove, buchichukwu69, Daverytimes, VickyRotex, conyema12, Caracta, Emmayur, tk4rd, uduokirika1, omarhlichanwa, chinnelle, AsanwaKC, Phut, passion007, Chigold101, mildteddy, softwhispers, donbenie, DesChyko, chrisviral, Niwdog, ImperfectMe, IGBOnation, bigfrancis21, Benfaco, nwadiuko1, timsbee, executivegej, Harvard13, Tinyemeka, UjSizzle, christopher123, Optimall, moca, UjSizzle, telexfree1, Luckygurl, Mbkite, DaimlerBen, Ihuomadinihu, vinxce, EzePromoe, e4e5d4d5, odumchi, OdenigboAroli, smartsoft, agabaI23, asadike, Okeikpu, tonychristopher, adorebee, Lilimax, PaulCI, Peppyluv, JustCare, ifyalways, JustCare, toshmann, preselect, oziomatv, skimpychick, OreMI22, Nnewi1stSon, centje, Handsomegod, spyder880, iconize, IGBOSON1, eaglechild, Kcinho, Emperoh, mensdept, frakdon, BuddahMonk, CaptainOjemba, colored, ckenneths, Bishop42, biafrandream, cjrane, tranxo, myhobbies, write2obi, all4naija, osystein, Zonacom, Get2go, FreeGlobe, yellowsun, oneeast, Malawian, InyinyaAgbaOku, BuddahMonk, HappyJoe, chidyhels, asha80, ak47mann, Kagame, Zonacom, Hishuula, Dainfamous, FKO81, ACM10, enochnochi, Schematics, bankson80, Myluv1, MusaIbrahim1, ikoloanambra, Abagworo, investnow2013, rafindo, enochnochi, Igbonazy, chino11, manchy7531, LordNaya, lygn19, XBLadez, B2mario, GreenCap, millionaireman, Ihedioha2015, emmysoftyou, ejiyke2007, Nedu09, lygn19, IGBOSON2, osayuwamwen, ROYALD, RareDiamond, sCun, ejiyke2007, mandax, saintendurance, UnknownT, millionaireman, MI6Surveillance, anitabeauty, Ikwokrikwo, Ahmed4002

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 2:42pm On Apr 20, 2015
Ikengawo what a brilliant Idea!

"We can use an Igbo section to translate books, stories, poems, music etc etc as well as discuss, and practice igbo.
My igbo isn't the strongest, I grew up in diaspora so such a section would be a blessing for me and many like me! "

Did you learn on your own while in the diaspora?
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Ikengawo: 3:08pm On Apr 20, 2015
musing2:
Ikengawo what a brilliant Idea!

"We can use an Igbo section to translate books, stories, poems, music etc etc as well as discuss, and practice igbo.
My igbo isn't the strongest, I grew up in diaspora so such a section would be a blessing for me and many like me! "

Did you learn on your own while in the diaspora?

I lived in Nigeria when i was very young and visit periodically now. While there I spoke fluent igbo but when i came back my english was compromised, so we implemented a house rule of only speaking English. Unfortunately this led to us forgetting Igbo as I was very young. I have taught myself be refreshing my memory and speaking, reading and writing Igbo whenever I get the chance.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by ChinenyeN(m): 5:22pm On Apr 20, 2015
musing2:
Right, ChineyeN yes your thoughts all made sense, thank you. smiley
*modified*
If it's just a matter of waiting as you say then personally I'll be very glad to. However It may not be, and I think only Seun himself can respond to that.

The bolded is part of my point. What you're asking for is really at the webmasters' discretion. Keep in mind that this isn't a democracy. Certain considerations have to be met first before the creation of an Igbo (or any other ethnic/ethno-linguistic) section can be considered practical.

musing2:
SUBMISSIONS (NEW!)
It's no longer a matter of 'if', but rather a matter of 'when' NL will have ethnolinguistic plurality. Shall we wait or ask it of NL now? by ChinenyeN

I should say that my 'if/when' statement is not so much about ethnic/ethno-linguistic plurality. Ethnic/ethno-linguistic plurality already exists on NL. It's been here since day one, so that is a non-issue. Instead, my 'if/when' statement was more so about NL's development as a social site. I stated that it is no longer a matter of 'if' because, by the looks of things, NL's development is still ongoing. And it is my belief that NL will likely develop into a dynamic user/community-driven forum. I stated 'when', because (of course) NL's development is still ongoing, and the necessary features to facilitate the creation of ethnic sections do not yet exist.

None of us in this thread run NL, and it is very unlikely that any of us will boycott NL over this issue (I certainly don't see myself doing that). I like NL as it is, really, but I also realize that in the future NL might very well be more. It is in that future that I can imagine the existence of user/community-driven ethnic sections. However, things are at present, sufficient.

If anything, I would recommend following up with Phut's post, if what you're looking for is an immediate resolution. There are a myriad of Igbo sites that now lay dormant (or Igbo-related domain names that are now up for grabs). Capitalize on that a build a fully-dedicated Maka-Ndi-Igbo site (Igbo Radio is doing something along those lines, but more so as a news-oriented site).

1 Like

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by shizzleStar: 7:41pm On Apr 20, 2015
Such a thread exists and I don't have a mention, like seriously

Anyways caracta isn't Igbo, ditto all4naija. Just so you know.

Musing2, ikengawo take note.

Erm, You guys should do better to know certain monikers that hold it down anytime, any day for the Igbo nation.

OneNaira6, Piacenza, Shizzle11, Fletz, sunnybobo, obiagu, itchidodo, ezeagu etal all missing...smh
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 10:38pm On Apr 20, 2015
ChinenyeN thank you for your clarification, I'll change the title to reflect what you've said. Judging from the poll and reservations expressed in comments so far, I've become of the opinion that something like an Igbo language section will have to wait until such a time as when NL becomes what you've termed, a dynamic user/community-driven forum. However the interest shown by some people is encouraging, and I think all that is left to do is ask Seun about the practicalities of creating a new section, round up this discussion, and following that continue to promote Igbo language threads.

The issue is, I'm not sure what the proper way to contact Seun is. Any suggestions?
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Seun(m): 11:33pm On Apr 20, 2015
The culture section is the Igbo language section. Post all your Igbo language threads here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by B2mario(m): 11:59pm On Apr 20, 2015
musing2:

Ndewo wink To support thid thread I'm still looking for someone to write briefly in favor of an Igbo section, preferably in Igbo, and Ideally with a very short English summary.
To support an Igbo section I think we simply need to support and promote Igbo threads.

ok, i will play from my own perspective. It might not necessarily be writing in Igbo language but other things that can promote/project Igbo culture and heritage.
Re: Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 21, 2015
Seun:
The culture section is the Igbo language section. Post all your Igbo language threads here.

Thank you for your reply.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kedu Ihe Na Eme Ndi Igbo Na Nairaland? / All ugba lovers / Obobanyi Of Ohionwa (ihima) Kogi State Is World’s Oldest Monarch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.