Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

"Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? (883 Views)

Patience Jonathan In Okrika For Burial Of Comfort Kaine Obudibo / Dasukigate: The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-nsa, Dasuki / Patience Jonathan Builds New Mansion In Okrika (Photos) - Citypeople Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by vicadex07(m): 3:32pm On Apr 19, 2015
I have always wondered how imported fairly used clothes were coined "okrika".

I just learnt in recent times that okrika is a town in rivers state, no thanks to the recurrent news of political violence from there.

Anyone in the house with the taxonomical background of Okrika when used in referring to fairly used clothing materials
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by delishpot: 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2015
What I heard was thatused clothes sale men used to ring bells and shout Okrika wake up in Okrika.

1 Like

Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by vicadex07(m): 3:58pm On Apr 19, 2015
delishpot:
What I heard was thatused clothes sale men used to ring bells and shout Okrika wake up in Okrika.

Lol...really. Interesting

I need more peeps to shed light on this
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 19, 2015
I learned it was a trade route through which ssecond hand clothes and other materials were shipped inland.

Barcanista should throw more light here.

1 Like

Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by donkarly(m): 4:10pm On Apr 19, 2015
delishpot:
I think the reason is because all the used clothes from outside nigeria into the country came through okirika during the colonial era..
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by delishpot: 4:12pm On Apr 19, 2015
donkarly:

I think the reason is because all the used clothes from outside nigeria into the country came through okirika during the colonial era..

Oohhhhhh. It could be o
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by vicadex07(m): 4:32pm On Apr 19, 2015
donkarly:

This looks more like it...
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by Qmab: 4:33pm On Apr 19, 2015
But theycall them other names too like
B K- bosi koro
Tokunbo
Bend down select
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by vicadex07(m): 5:17pm On Apr 19, 2015
Qmab:
But theycall them other names too like
B K- bosi koro
Tokunbo
Bend down select

Yeah, but okrika is our main focus here. I want to know how it relates to the popular town of our outgoing first lady
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Apr 19, 2015
vicadex07:

Yeah, but okrika is our main focus here. I want to know how it relates to the popular town of our outgoing first lady

I've already told you. Okrika jetty was famously used to bring in second hand materials from outside the nation during the colonial era. Period.

1 Like

Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by buskie13(m): 5:56pm On Apr 19, 2015
warri peeps call em 'gbogbo
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by vicadex07(m): 8:19pm On Apr 19, 2015
dearpreye:

I've already told you. Okrika jetty was famously used to bring in second hand materials from outside the nation during the colonial era. Period.

Ok sir....
Re: "Okrika" What Has It Got To Do With Fairly Used Clothes ? by vicadex07(m): 8:20pm On Apr 19, 2015
dearpreye:

Ok sir...I was just addressing his post.

(1) (Reply)

3 Things I’ll Do For Troubled North East — BUHARI / REVEALED : The Real Meaning Of "Sai Buhari", This Will Shock You / Mission Of My Presidency By Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.