Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,278 members, 7,954,099 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:21 PM

Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com (2520 Views)

Buhari Support Organisation Moves To Shut Down Senate / 16yr Old Nigerian Boy In USA Set 2 Become 1st Black To Build A Nuclear Fusor(pix / Awka Flooded After Morning Rain, Forces Businesses To Shut (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 7:43am On Apr 21, 2015
shut down FM radio.
Story highlights
On FM, Norwegians can only find five
stations
Digitally, there are four times that number
(CNN)— Video may have killed the radio star,
but in Norway it's digital that's killing FM radio.
In two years' time, the Scandinavian nation is
slated to become the first in the world to phase
out radio entirely.
That doesn't mean that Norwegians will be left
with radio silence; they'll merely have to tune in
digitally.
According to officials in Oslo, many in this
nation of 5 million have already made the
move.
On FM, Norwegians can only find five stations.
On the Digital Audio Broadcasting network,
there are four times that number.

Half the country already listens that way, said
Culture Minister Thorhild Widvey.
"Listeners will have access to more diverse and
pluralistic radio-content, and enjoy better
sound quality and new functionality," Widvey
said in a news release.
Officials say the move will spur innovation
because the cost of digital transmission will
save some $25 million.
But the country's radio waves won't cut out all
once, a blog post on Radio.no explained.
Radio will be phased out region by region,
starting in January 2017 and concluding in
December.
edition.cnn.com/2015/04/20/living/norway-fm-radio-digital/index.html
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by clemz88(m): 7:46am On Apr 21, 2015
Dats gud
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by drtwist(m): 7:47am On Apr 21, 2015
How does this effect the change APC promise us?

how does make 1dollars equal to 1naira?

How does this stabilize world oil price?

1 Like

Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 7:50am On Apr 21, 2015
clemz88:
Dats gud
U call it good?
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 7:53am On Apr 21, 2015
drtwist:
How does this effect the change APC promise us?

how does make 1dollars equal to 1naira?

How does this stabilize world oil price?
Hahaha! The only way naira can be equal to dollar is to bring coins back and make #50 as highiest currency in Nigeria which I see as trick the politicians will use.
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by imbless: 7:55am On Apr 21, 2015
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by AceOfDiamonds(m): 8:02am On Apr 21, 2015
Weird.....if this is done in Nigeria. undecided
The average hausa man will start a protest! cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 8:10am On Apr 21, 2015
AceOfDiamonds:
Sure coz most of them always rely on their radio set on their ear.

1 Like

Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by Nobody: 8:17am On Apr 21, 2015
nsiazu:
i love listening to my radio too grin
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 8:20am On Apr 21, 2015
Nigerdeltaboi:

i love listening to my radio too grin
Good but if the new government decides to shut down a radio station, how will you feel?
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 21, 2015
nsiazu:
Good but if the new government decides to shut down a radio station, how will you feel?
bad oo ,but life ll go on cheesy
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 8:29am On Apr 21, 2015
Nigerdeltaboi:

bad oo ,but life ll go on cheesy
That's Nigerians must pray for its incoming government.
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by AceOfDiamonds(m): 8:36am On Apr 21, 2015
nsiazu:
Abi...No matter how poor they may seem,they would definitely have a transistor radio
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 8:40am On Apr 21, 2015
AceOfDiamonds:
Abi...No matter how poor they may seem,they would definitely have a transistor radio
But its not always clear and the signal is always poor.
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by papaejima1: 8:41am On Apr 21, 2015
Haa don't try that with the hausa man oo
When they just launched radio chanji?

My hand no dey.
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 8:48am On Apr 21, 2015
papaejima1:
Haa don't try that with the hausa man oo
When they just launched radio chanji?

My hand no dey.
Hahahaha but they can't fight the government.
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 10:21am On Apr 21, 2015
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by In4matic: 10:36am On Apr 21, 2015
clemz88:
Dats gud

So how does it work? Like online radio or perhaps like DStv radio?
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by In4matic: 10:40am On Apr 21, 2015
please anyone with the know how should enlighten me
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by Biggty(m): 12:00pm On Apr 21, 2015
This can never happen in Nigeria cos most of the citizen will be uninformed
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by abdulhadi101(m): 12:07pm On Apr 21, 2015
AceOfDiamonds:
lols...ah tel yhu..Hausa man nd radio sef

1 Like

Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 12:12pm On Apr 21, 2015
abdulhadi101:
lols...ah tel yhu..Hausa man nd radio sef
If a Christian man can imitate an hausa man's way of living and prayer life, then I think we would have been having a better world.

1 Like

Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by appini: 12:22pm On Apr 21, 2015
nsiazu:
If a Christian man can imitate an hausa man's way of living and prayer life, then I think we would have been having a better world.

Not the ones bombing everywhere around the world.

Maybe those ones are called Islamists!
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 12:32pm On Apr 21, 2015
appini:

Not the ones bombing everywhere around the world.

Maybe those ones are called Islamists!
Yea and terrorist. But if a Christian can pray seven times in a day, don't u think there will be stability in the world?
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by braine(m): 12:34pm On Apr 21, 2015
Imagine Norway with a size of 5million. Thats like less than the total population of Alimosho local government in Lagos. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by Buonsenso: 12:44pm On Apr 21, 2015
In4matic:
please anyone with the know how should enlighten me

a combination of technology and economic development making this possible.. the government has not as some believe by fiat shut down operators of FM stations rather through market forces, radio stations on their own are leaving analogy technology and embracing digital and then the end users, Norway has one of the most friendliest wifi services in the world; so more people have digital access and then with more cars been fitted with digital audio equipment its a natural fallout. From what I read, its actually cheaper for the radio stations to completely digitize than continue with the analog system.

read more here;[url][/url]http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/04/20/in-first-norway-will-shut-off-fm-radio-in-2017/
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 12:48pm On Apr 21, 2015
Buonsenso:

a combination of technology and economic development making this possible.. the government has not as some believe by fiat shut down operators of FM stations rather through market forces, radio stations on their own are leaving analogy technology and embracing digital and then the end users, Norway has one of the most friendliest wifi services in the world; so more people have digital access and then with more cars been fitted with digital audio equipment its a natural fallout. From what I read, its actually cheaper for the radio stations to completely digitize than continue with the analog system.

read more here;[url][/url]http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/04/20/in-first-norway-will-shut-off-fm-radio-in-2017/
Yea but do you think its easy to switch from Analog to digital service?
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by Buonsenso: 12:52pm On Apr 21, 2015
nsiazu:
Yea but do you think its easy to switch from Analog to digital service?

Yes. NTA did or tried to years back.
With political will and commitment, why not.
We are not supposed to pay so much for data in Nigeria, but the NCC does not do a good job of enforcement so the tel.companies get away with murder.

Nothing in this world is not possible if you have good leadership and money.
Nigeria has one of that, the other one has been missing.
Hopefully sai buhari will make us smile again

1 Like

Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by nsiazu: 12:56pm On Apr 21, 2015
Buonsenso:

Yes. NTA did or tried to years back.
With political will and commitment, why not.
We are not supposed to pay so much for data in Nigeria, but the NCC does not do a good job of enforcement so the tel.companies get away with murder.

Nothing in this world is not possible if you have good leadership and money.
Nigeria has one of that, the other one has been missing.
Hopefully sai buhari will make us smile again
I hope so but unless the government of Nigeria grant itz citizen free browsing through wifi.
Re: Norway To Become 1st Nation To Shut Down FM Radio - Cnn.com by Buonsenso: 1:15pm On Apr 21, 2015
nsiazu:
I hope so but unless the government of Nigeria grant itz citizen free browsing through wifi.
No country to my knowledge will give you free WiFi. Maybe subsidized to lower it or effective regulations to ensure you get what you pay for.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tension!! Aso Rock Explodes As Fashola Calls Buhari Biggest Looter In Office. Re / 7 Sets Of People That Hate Tuface Led Protest For Good Governance / Letter From Lt.col. Ojukwu To Lt. Col.banjo 22nd August 1967

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.